• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people put hashtags in Facebook staus updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piddledy

I've only done it once. It went something like this:

My iPhone 4S is broken so I have to slum it with an iPhone 3G. #firstworldproblems
I'm not sure how better to communicate that.

You could try these:

• My iPhone 4S is broken so I have to slum it with an iPhone 3G--first world problems.
  • First world problems: my iPhone 4S is broken so I have to slum it with an iPhone 3G.

Second one isn't grammatically "correct," but that hashtag shit isn't, either.

ascii42

You could try these:

• My iPhone 4S is broken so I have to slum it with an iPhone 3G--first world problems.
  • First world problems: my iPhone 4S is broken so I have to slum it with an iPhone 3G.

Well, those are certainly alternate ways of communicating what I said. Whether or not any one way is better than the other is a matter of opinion.

Soybean

You could try these:

The hashtag is way more compact. 3 spaces!

piddledy

Well, those are certainly alternate ways of communicating what I said. Whether or not any one way is better than the other is a matter of opinion.

Haha, so when you said you weren't sure there was a better way, you were being very serious!

Every time one of these things makes it into the general internet playbook people get all uppity about it, often using things people used to get all uppity about to do it. emoticons, lol, etc. #boochange

It's not really any different from any of the other forms of language desecration the internet is responsible for. :p

piddledy

Every time one of these things makes it into the general internet playbook people get all uppity about it, often using things people used to get all uppity about to do it. emoticons, lol, etc. #boochange

It's not really any different from any of the other forms of language desecration the internet is responsible for. :p

Yeah, imagine everything on the internet was grammatically correct. How fucking boring.

Throavium

jxhwA.jpg

Chopper

Aren't there apps that post your status or whatever to whatever social media sites you want? I always assumed they were using those.

SpacLock

The actual answer:

Some people use apps on their phone that update Twitter and Facebook simultaneously making the hashtag a requirement to update both.

Edit: Skipped OP.

Orayn

It's not the end of the world until people start pronouncing hashtags in real life.

Almost as bad as putting @ in front of someone's name when responding to them.

I do this in busy computer chat conversations when a bunch of people are talking at once and I need to address someone specifically. I also tack it onto GAF posts when I don't feel like adding an entirely new quotebox.

_dementia, not you bro, I thought you were cooler than that. #CMonSon

#IronicSonic
#BlackKidProblems
#EviLoreAintShit

It's not the end of the world until people start pronouncing hashtags in real life.
On one occasion, I have heard a friend say "hashtag swag" for purely comedic reasons.

cwmartin

People now do this in my company's internal email. Whatever was wrong with "Hi industrian," that it had to be fixed with "@industrian" I'll never know.

Twitter didn't invent this. Is a clear way to indicate a statement/sentence is intended for someone who is CC'd vs. the initial recipient.

Zaptruder

Banned
The real question is why do you have an underscore in your name OP? What are you some sort of twitter tard? With your funny symbols at the front of things and all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom