• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does FF: XV Demo's IQ look so bad? Artificial sharpening filter in place?

jett

D-Member
It's kinda all over the place. Does it have a dynamic resolution?

Either that or temporal reconstruction. Or both. Who knows.

Awful solution for this game though. At least Quantum break (which uses temporal reconstruction) slaps 4XMSAA on top of it.

Aters

Duscae 2.0's graphic is fine by me. I thought they can just stabilize the framerate and call it good. But apparently they decide to mess around and things get worse.

I'm expecting more downgrades as they optimize for stable fps for release. The scope of this game is too big for current consoles.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Did anyone managed to take a screen of the car? That too looked awful while in the trailers I always liked it, same as in Duscae. WTF is going on with this demo.

I'm expecting more downgrades as they optimize for stable fps for release. The scope of this game is too big for current consoles.

This topic doesn't really convince me btw, Witcher 3 is huge and graphically way more impressing at impact.

Theorry

Either that or temporal reconstruction. Or both. Who knows.

Awful solution for this game though. At least Quantum break (which uses temporal reconstruction) slaps 4XMSAA on top of it.

:)

VG tech said this btw in his vid.

"Pixel counts indicate that the Final Fantasy 15 Platinum Demo uses a dynamic resolution on both the Playstation 4 and Xbox One. The PS4 resolution seems to vary between 1600x900 and 1920x1080 while the Xbox One resolution seems to vary between 1344x756 and something close to 1690x950."

RK128

From those images, I think the game looks great :D!

I guess I need to see footage of the new demo in action before commenting though, but I feel the game looks really great from the screen shots you guys have in this thread.

I'm more worried about the performance and if Square can nail that, then they are fine in my book.

Ray Down

Banned
SE said it has final "Visuals" whatever that means.

Yeah the term is ambiguous because we really don't know what they mean by that. Even where the statement came from, brings up combat being final and yet it's missing things. (Weapon abilities, team attacks, summoning.) I think it might be just a PR statement to hype up the demo.

It's weird they even called this a demo, when ever they brought this up in ATR it was a tech demo...

Anyway, we know that Tabata said they working on optimizing the game till it comes out, so hopefully the iron things out, though I think this means we might have a huge day one patch.

IQ and blurriness still ruins it. Doesn't matter how nice the lighting may seem.

FFXV is the argument for high quality baked lighting. But even The Division pulls the realtime GI like style better anyways.

The Division has better GI? Maybe in the original trailer, I don't think subsequently. Especially during the day it can look a bit cartoony. Also, I don't get your statement. This has very good lighting, so how is it an argument for baked lighting? Unless you mean the penalty on performance...Real time GI is best for open world games anyway...

SPAW

The amount of crunch time for the coders of this game must be horrendous going up to september....

Coonce

But it looks so good though, and this is the same room just different TOD
rqTwpM.png

the marble art at the top here looks super blurry, everything just looks like a texture quality was set to low.

Shredderi

Can't believe I'm saying this, but PS4K can't come soon enough. Provided that they would give some kind of patch for the game on that system. Or just a good old PC version. I actually used to think that this looked like a graphical showcase for some reason. Maybe other games came and changed my expectations or I'm just remembering pre-rendered footage.

Like others have said, the game has decent assets but the end result is downright ugly at times. A huge mainline FF game shouldn't be ugly. It should soar in the sky with the top graphical dogs. Well that is of course my own self-imposed expectations based on their past mainline FF games.

Coonce

Like others have said, the game has decent assets but the end result is downright ugly at times. A huge mainline FF game shouldn't be ugly. It should soar in the sky with the top graphical dogs. Well that is of course my own self-imposed expectations based on their past mainline FF games.

I agree, I remember when FF13 came out on PS3, it was a graphical showstopper. I was amazed with how great the character models/scenery looked, but looking at these screens, I'm not getting the same "wow" factor at all.

ViciousDS

Banned
BUT, BUT I don't wanna buy a PS4K!

PS4K isn't the Savior and it's so fucking annoying that people keep saying it.

This is all software issues and this game should have no problems hitting 30fps and 1080p on PS4. We have better looking games on the console that run perfectly at 30 and 1080p without a dynamic resolution to help it.

This is a square enix issue and nothing more.

Now can people drop the omg PS4k save us bullshit.

PS4K isn't the Savior and it's so fucking annoying that people keep saying it.

This is all software issues and this game should have no problems hitting 30fps and 1080p on PS4. We have better looking games on the console that run perfectly at 30 and 1080p without a dynamic resolution to help it.

This is a square enix issue and nothing more.

Now can people drop the omg PS4k save us bullshit.

Yup. 100%. It's their tech. I almost feel as though they're making it all up as they go along, so to speak. We may not get a stable luminous engine game until FFXVI, and even that's a stretch. As much as I'm hyped for this game, it's very disappointing.

Ray Down

Banned
I agree, I remember when FF13 came out on PS3, it was a graphical showstopper. I was amazed with how great the character models/scenery looked, but looking at these screens, I'm not getting the same "wow" factor at all.

Wait till the full release and see.

vpance

The Division has better GI? Maybe in the original trailer, I don't think subsequently. Especially during the day it can look a bit cartoony. Also, I don't get your statement. This has very good lighting, so how is it an argument for baked lighting? Unless you mean the penalty on performance...Real time GI is best for open world games anyway...

Yes the penalty in performance (at least according to how they implemented it) was not worth it IMO. The Division real time lighting is more subtle but the dynamic weather is much more impressive. Rain in XV is basically just some reflective shader adjustments.

After some tweaks and mods on PC I've no doubt it could begin to look impressive. But as is its a disappointment.

To be fair a lot of FFXIII was made up of extremely detailed skyboxes, or at least that's how it looked. I'll always remember that as a drawback personally since the world looked stunning, but you can never go to see any of it. It was one beautiful carrot on a stick though. I certainly despise the blur happening in this though since it's extremely distracting. I'll get used to it no doubt, but I'd really rather not have to as it's hampering the experience a bit. I don't want to have to stand still any time I want to glance off at some of the assets.

ViviOggi

I would have been fine with the graphics if the demo at least had smooth performance.
But it looked bad AND performed terribly. It was like the worst of both worlds

This scene must be running at 5fps in their current console build:
giphy.gif
I lost it when that shadow boss guy flexed some particles in a completely empty city and both versions immediately dropped to 20

Durante

Looks like a combination of sub-native rendering resolution with inadequate AA, especially on (alpha-tested?) hair.

Balls

Banned
Did anyone managed to take a screen of the car? That too looked awful while in the trailers I always liked it, same as in Duscae. WTF is going on with this demo.

This topic doesn't really convince me btw, Witcher 3 is huge and graphically way more impressing at impact.
Sure but you can already tell that FFXV will have much more diversity when it comes to it's environments. You can' tell me that the Witcher 3 even comes close to the amount of varied environments displayed in the FFXV environmental trailer. As big and as good as Witcher 3 looks they re used a lot of the same assets for their buildings and towns. All of the towns in Witcher 3 look identical to each other for the most part.

JayBabay

Everyone saying how much this game needs PS4K, and while I agree this isn't the only game that's looked underwhelming recently, but just look at how crisp looking and smooth running MGSV is and that is cross platform.

Yes, there are epic summon scenes and bigger enemies. But, why when there's barely anything going on in the image do the frame rates suffer so much while the textures look more washed out. Surely, as other devs may prove, there is certainly more to the PS4 than what is on display here.

Looks like a combination of sub-native rendering resolution with inadequate AA, especially on (alpha-tested?) hair.

Do you reckon the AA is playing a part in the awful blurring on anything at a reasonable distance? It just looks kind of odd to me since it seems to blur things out rather than relying LOD or at least the blur is hiding the LOD changes very well. I've not seen anything behave quite this way before so I'm tempted to guess something is borked? It's very unusual since it creates immense blur at a distance while failing to reduce jaggies very well when up close.

KupoNut

Somebody should post this on the official forums and try to get a dev comment, really curious. Guess better IQ solutions ruin the framerate?

Vashetti

Banned
Yup. 100%. It's their tech. I almost feel as though they're making it all up as they go along, so to speak. We may not get a stable luminous engine game until FFXVI, and even that's a stretch. As much as I'm hyped for this game, it's very disappointing.

You do know they've dropped Luminous for future games, right?

Only game to use it is FFXV. Anything in the future will be Unreal Engine 4.

Ray Down

Banned
You do know they've dropped Luminous for future games, right?

Only game to use it is FFXV. Anything in the future will be Unreal Engine 4.

I think other SE games are using the lighting from Luminous, can't remember what game though.

I think they said other games will, but let's wait and see.

DJIzana

I think other SE games are using the lighting from Luminous, can't remember what game though.

I think they said other games will, but let's wait and see.

FFXIV uses Luminous for its lighting. They also said the tech needs to prove itself first.

At the end of the day though... they have 5 months to either optimize or make changes or improvements. What they've managed to show off a year later is a big deal, obviously (as they have said) so I'm confident a lot can be done in the next 5+ months before the game actually releases.

Sure but you can already tell that FFXV will have much more diversity when it comes to it's environments. You can' tell me that the Witcher 3 even comes close to the amount of varied environments displayed in the FFXV environmental trailer. As big and as good as Witcher 3 looks they re used a lot of the same assets for their buildings and towns. All of the towns in Witcher 3 look identical to each other for the most part.

I think what was shown in the trailers clearly looks more impressive visually than Witcher 3. Having said, will need to see more actual gameplay footage to see how the final game pans out. As it is this demo is super limited in scope and not even representative of the final game. Duscae was super rough.

Mortemis

Banned
I was just playing the demo an hour ago and man you can notice when the resolution drops and the lack of AA.

When the boss is defeated and fizzling away, Noctis looks ridiculous with large pixels everywhere.

Venom Fox

Banned
Yes the penalty in performance (at least according to how they implemented it) was not worth it IMO. The Division real time lighting is more subtle but the dynamic weather is much more impressive. Rain in XV is basically just some reflective shader adjustments.

After some tweaks and mods on PC I've no doubt it could begin to look impressive. But as is its a disappointment.
You do realise that The Division doesn't actually have any outdoor Realtime GI? Only a few scenes indoor seem to have a baked GI or partially Realtime.

Obviously The Division has a baked solution and it is a good one at that but FFXV'S lighting is more realistic.

The Dynamic weather? The only dynamic weather the division has is snowing or foggy, granted, it's fucking beautiful but seriously, if it rained in The Division, all it would be is wet reflective shaders.

Aters

I think many developer has not fully exploited the potential of current gen consoles. Battlefront convinced me that games can run well and look beautiful on PS4. Just make it 900P and solid 30fps Square, no one will blame you for that.

Top Bottom