• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does FF: XV Demo's IQ look so bad? Artificial sharpening filter in place?

.JayZii

Banned
Do we know if they are going to continue doing Active Time Reports? I''d be interested to hear them address the visual issues that people are bringing up.

I'm pretty optimistic about most of the image quality issues being worked out in the final game. At the end of the day, art direction is more important to me than visual fidelity, anyway.

Ray Down

Banned
Do we know if they are going to continue doing Active Time Reports? I''d be interested to hear them address the visual issues that people are bringing up.

I'm pretty optimistic about most of the image quality issues being worked out in the final game. At the end of the day, art direction is more important to me than visual fidelity, anyway.

Don't really know, ATR may be done.

Though we got the forums and team updates, so we may hear word from dev about this though those.

platina

I think many developer has not fully exploited the potential of current gen consoles. Battlefront convinced me that games can run well and look beautiful on PS4. Just make it 900P and solid 30fps Square, no one will blame you for that.
This is the best possible outcome. It's clear the game won't be native 1080p the whole time, just lock it 900p with fxaa add some motion blur and forget it.

DeSolos

It's got a low resolution and temporal anti aliasing.

Temporal AA fixes aliasing by accumulating previous frames to smooth an image. It has a very hard time with fast action and will create ghosting artifacts.The lower source resolution exacerbates the issue.

That said, temporal AA is a technique that looks better in motion. It looks very bad in screenshots, but typically much more acceptable in motion.

As excited as I am for this game it has the worst IQ of this generation in my opinion. Its just so ugly a lot of the time, which is a shame because the actual art is fantastic

Tabata said in the last ATR he wouldn't be doing them anymore. Now we should see more "commercial" videos and trailers, but not development reports.

Erasus

Sure but you can already tell that FFXV will have much more diversity when it comes to it's environments. You can' tell me that the Witcher 3 even comes close to the amount of varied environments displayed in the FFXV environmental trailer. As big and as good as Witcher 3 looks they re used a lot of the same assets for their buildings and towns. All of the towns in Witcher 3 look identical to each other for the most part.

Assets are not IQ/Resolution.
Two different things.

Its weird because FFXII and FFXIII where real graphical showpieces.
XIII was 720p + 2xMSAA on PS3 right? It still looks very good.

If it is released like this I won't defend it, but I am trying to give Square the benefit of the doubt and not make judgement on the graphics in a self-contained demo.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Try infamous Second Son dude
Or any of the big three AC games released this gen, (4, Unity, Syndicate). And Batman Arkham Knight and Witcher 3. Later this year we have ME:C and Horizon Zero Dawn(and some other surprises 😉) coming out. This gen has been awesome when it comes to the visuals in open world games.

They really need to take off the disgusting sharpening filter their aa solution adds... wtf square? Just compare it to the duscae demo, I would rather have the softer 900pfxaa look they implemented over the artificially sharpened solution in the latest demo. They took a major step back regarding iq. While their sss and lighting solution is improved the horrible sharpening filter ruins everything and hurts my eyes. There is also NO motion blur unless in some special instances, literally 99% of the demo has no motion blur and it's murdering my eyes.

This is a really interesting change compared to how FF Type-0 HD turned out, with its insane amount of motion blur. I guess this is a reaction to that criticism, and they're still missing the sweet spot by a good margin?

vpance

You do realise that The Division doesn't actually have any outdoor Realtime GI? Only a few scenes indoor seem to have a baked GI or partially Realtime.

Obviously The Division has a baked solution and it is a good one at that but FFXV'S lighting is more realistic.

The Dynamic weather? The only dynamic weather the division has is snowing or foggy, granted, it's fucking beautiful but seriously, if it rained in The Division, all it would be is wet reflective shaders.

True, it's not realtime GI but the point is it still has a dynamic TOD with a pseudo GI look. It's a good compromise. XV is certainly more accurate but when it's at the cost of destroying your art assets and IQ it's not worth it. Mid day lighting looks terrible and it just falls apart.

I get why they did it though. If you have a realtime lighting solution it can save dev time.

But that rain, lol. It's barely there. Not much processing power left for particles for weather I guess.

Vashetti

Banned
Two different things.

FFXIII is super clean, upscales smoothly to 1080p too.

SE were masters of 1080p upscaling on PS3. KH1.5 HD renders at 810p but you wouldn't know it.

Venom Fox

Banned
True, it's not realtime GI but the point is it still has a dynamic TOD with a pseudo GI look. It's a good compromise. XV is certainly more accurate but when it's at the cost of destroying your art assets and IQ it's not worth it. Mid day lighting looks terrible and it just falls apart.

I get why they did it though. If you have a realtime lighting solution it can save dev time.

But that rain, lol. It's barely there. Not much processing power left for particles for weather I guess.
Yeah, I do agree the division Does look stunning at times. Hopefully they'll lock XV
at 900p and clean up the IQ with some better AA. Yeah it's a weird compromise, worse rain for better lighting.

Either way I'm confident they'll sort it for release.

catbrush

Witcher 3 is huge and graphically way more impressing at impact.

Maybe on PC. PS4 version was not very impressive in stills or in motion.

With so much complexity and variety to the environments, lighting and animation, compromises are necessary for console.

Added this screen to the op:
hDspkr.png

It shows the issue really well.

This is the best possible outcome. It's clear the game won't be native 1080p the whole time, just lock it 900p with fxaa add some motion blur and forget it.

Honestly, the assets seem to be so high quality for this game, I would rather them release a PS4K or PC version that can power through the bad engine or whatever the heck is going on.

Soriku

Maybe on PC. PS4 version was not very impressive in stills or in motion.

With so much complexity and variety to the environments, lighting and animation, compromises are necessary for console.

Witcher 3 on PS4 eats Platinum Demo for breakfast. Everything just looks so much better.

Guys, not every game will be as graphically good as TW3.

Why not compare it to other open world RPGs this Gen?

It's certainly better looking than Fallout 4 or Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Not to mention, this is SE's first open world jRPG?

MGSV also looks better and it runs at 60 FPS.

tuxfool

Banned

It looks cleaner in terms of IQ (sometimes? I played at 1440p), but it has a really low detail world. Everything about it screams cross gen. It would be great if people specified what they meant by looks "better".

Honestly, the assets seem to be so high quality for this game, I would rather them release a PS4K or PC version that can power through the bad engine or whatever the heck is going on.
They really are, It's one of the few games where the lighting and character assets are almost comparable to pre-render. It just needs a better aa implementation and mb.
UG2zKB.png

HMD

At this point I feel like they just wanna get this game over with, the PS4K version will be the definitive version for sure.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Two different things.
Of course, but isn't it harder to render more detailed assets with a nice IQ/at a high resolution? Like it's easier for a game like Tearaway Unfolded to have a perfect IQ because it barely has textures. :p

Not that I was impressed with the assets in FF15, mind.

Yeah FF has been known for its impressive visuals since like, FF6 at least. Even when the gameplay greatly suffered the visuals were at least impressive. I have no idea what happened with FF15, but it doesn't even look good, and --

Yup, it looks like crap. It also CONTROLS like crap.
-- That too. Gameplay was dogshit overall. The demo's only redeeming value is how cute Carbuncle was. xD

Things will improve. This demo looks rushed as hell.

Re-posting again.

You can also see a comparison between the October Walthrough video (PC build) and Episode Duscae on PS4 running at 900p. This comparison was also done between the Version 1.0 for Duscae and not 2.0, which had better foliage rendering.

ffxv-comp-1.jpg

ffxv-comp-1-1.jpg

ffxv-comp-5.jpg

ffxv-comp-5-1.jpg

ffxv-comp-2.jpg

ffxv-comp-2-1.jpg

Episode Duscae looks so much better and it was also stable 30 fps without any frame pacing issues. I am 90% certain this is another rush job demo so that they could release it after Uncovered event, and they paid even less attention to it then Duscae. Developers know very well how hard it is to release a demo before the launch of the game and SE released two freaking demos instead of finishing the actual game =/

Finally here is Episode Duscae 2.0 with the improved foliage rendering compared to 1.0.

oBBxv4J.png

ethomaz

Banned
The game didn't have a good IQ to begin...

It can improve but I don't expect something jaw dropping.

The biggest issue for me is the battle system... it is something that will make some potential buyers avoid the game.

Soriku

It looks cleaner in terms of IQ (sometimes? I played at 1440p), but it has a really low detail world. Everything about it screams cross gen. It would be great if people specified what they meant by looks "better".

Much cleaner IQ, notably higher quality character models, higher quality textures (while MGSV has some lower res parts, its low points are not as low as PD; have you seen the Citadel?). It also looks less choppy thanks to framerate which helps the look a lot.

omonimo

Banned
I played the demo and honestly the graphic in this game it's jaw dropping. I'm not saying it's flawless but say The Witcher 3 it's better is a total absurdity. Mind I don't talking of the PC version here. Of course on PC graphic can reach other edges.

omonimo

Banned
Witcher 3 on PS4 eats Platinum Demo for breakfast. Everything just looks so much better.

You need to replay it. IQ isn't it far distant to this demo. It's quite comparable to be fair.

I should point out that CDPR was new to open world games too?

CDPR's achievements with Witcher 3 shouldn't be downplayed, but how does Witcher 2 not count? Is it just because all the open world~esque set pieces aren't connected at one time?

OT: Maybe I'm a little less sensitive to Frame drop issues, but the demo felt on the same level as Bloodborne for me. Which means, yes it's noticeable, but it really didn't bother me. I also found the game play to be a lot of fun after you spent some time experimenting and playing with it, which I still feel a lot of people who have problems with the gameplay haven't done(
especially those who say all you do is hold O to win ^^;)
. Regardless, they've already expressed desire to optimize to get it looking pretty and running smoothly. Personally, they haven't really disappointed me yet, so I expect the game to be great when it comes out.

It's a weird demo for sure in a number of ways. But with six months out from release, optimization mostly occurring in that time, and number of factors surrounding the state of this demo, I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. I played it knowing it was some quickly thrown together tech demo sorta thing.

When we're a month or so from release and release media continues to look like this, I'll be a little more concerned. Right now? Not really. I do think it was a bad idea to release the demo, and they should definitely look into releasing a more up to date demo in a few months that better represents something closer to the final product.

DJIzana

It's a weird demo for sure in a number of ways. But with six months out from release, optimization mostly occurring in that time, and number of factors surrounding the state of this demo, I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. I played it knowing it was some quickly thrown together tech demo sorta thing.

When we're a month or so from release and release media continues to look like this, I'll be a little more concerned. Right now? Not really.

That's the way I see it to. Pointing out every single detail... there's no point. When the game is fully out, sure. Until then, you won't see any sweeping changes, I'm sure.

The funny thing he calls it a playable tech demo and talks about how is not meant for combat go to the 53 min and explains what the tech demo offers..This is from January.
http://youtu.be/hRGwI39dNqg

He also mentions the following:

"Yes, you can fight but it's slightly different from episode Duscae where we took a snippet of the game to experience and play"

The casual person wanted this and not what we got. Well I love it but I can see how it affects the perception of someone playing for the first time. Their marketing at times is just weird.

That's the way I see it to. Pointing out every single detail... there's no point. When the game is fully out, sure. Until then, you won't see any sweeping changes, I'm sure.

It's fair to criticize what you're given, so I'm not like frowning upon people for being nervous. I just think it's a weird little demo that probably doesn't represent how the actual game will look and run when it comes out. I enjoyed messing around with what little there was, but right away I knew to not approach it as if it were some finalized chunk of the game.

The problem is that most people will see a free demo available to the public, get really excited, and be met with something extremely underwhelming. So they really, really need to release another demo before launch with something a lot closer to completion. I mean look at the trailers, the demo from last year... that's closer to what I'm expecting.

DJIzana

It's fair to criticize what you're given, so I'm not like frowning upon people for being nervous. I just think it's a weird little demo that probably doesn't represent how the actual game will look and run when it comes out. I enjoyed messing around with what little there was, but right away I knew to not approach it as if it were some finalized chunk of the game.

The problem is that most people will see a free demo available to the public, get really excited, and be met with something extremely underwhelming. So they really, really need to release another demo before launch with something a lot closer to completion. I mean look at the trailers, the demo from last year... that's closer to what I'm expecting.

Yeah. I think that's quite accurate. I mean, even the trailers from Uncovered, we still don't know how everything actually functions until YOU, YOURSELF actually play the full game.

What I mean is... we know how some things work like in Duscae like purchasing things from a shop, how camping works and some questing but we don't know how cities actually work or how random conversations begin in cities (if they're text bubbles or voiced or what).

I think there's a lot that we'll be surprised about from the final version. We saw the train running in motion but we don't know what you can actually do inside the train during the game (if anything). That kind of thing.

My guess is they might show that at E3 or something or when Tabata said there would be other chances for people to get hands-on with the game.

What exactly does IQ mean? People keep throwing the term around like a kid just found daddys gun? To me IQ sounds something more related to how your tv is calibrated.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What exactly does IQ mean? People keep throwing the yerm around like a kid just found daddys gun? To me IQ sounds something more related to how your tv is calibrated.

Image quality

It's usually related to a combination image clarity, texture filtering, and anti-aliasing

Image Quality

I know that. But what is it referring to, not what does it stand for.

It sounds like people just want to say graphic quality, or visual fidelity. But they are using it to mean something else.

I remember one guy saying, yah the order has got great graphics, but its got bad IQ....da fuq? Despite it running at 1080p and having a good AA solution. Again it sounds like more of an improperly calibrated display would lead to more of a bastardization of IQ than grapgics of a game.

Image quality

It's usually related to a combination image clarity, texture filtering, and anti-aliasing

Image clarity? Hmmm....are you talking about resolution? If parts of the FF demo is 1080p, which is considered full HD, how can it lack "image """clarity"""?

If the game looks too blurry....again, maybe its the TV? Afterall, after all the tech nonsense going on its your tv thats actually presenting the final displayed image...in that sense it becomes the most important aspect out of everything. Again, I don't know, image clarity just strikes me as such a nebulous term like image quality does.

My guess is they might show that at E3 or something or when Tabata said there would be other chances for people to get hands-on with the game.

I fully expect at least one more demo, there's no way that they want this to be the final public demo for marketing. People that aren't really hardcore fans "in the know" likely won't be sold on the game through that demo. I don't think that was the demo's intention at all, but like where you for example can preorder the game digitally, you see a "try free demo" on the store and everyone interested in the game is gonna download that, especially those who missed out on Duscae.

Especially from a gameplay perspective, I mean you run around collecting shards for no reason through a few weird places and then fight an enemy, all completely out of context. It's extremely jarring and not something you want to help sell your game with.

Top Bottom