• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does FF: XV Demo's IQ look so bad? Artificial sharpening filter in place?

I am confused now... what about this quote "The purpose of the demo, according to Square Enix, is to give players a look at the finished game's visuals, as well as introduce them to the final combat and magic systems" ?????

Idk who to believe either GameSpot took the liberty to say that or the denkeki article is the real accurate quote.

TLZ

Banned
I am confused now... what about this quote "The purpose of the demo, according to Square Enix, is to give players a look at the finished game's visuals, as well as introduce them to the final combat and magic systems" ?????

Is this quote before or after what's posted in OP?

Yikes at the screenshots on the first pages.

This uses luminous right? What happened

That original tech demo (that supposedly ran on a gtx 680 at 60 fps with 4x msaa on the hair) was the best looking thing I'd seen in realtime back then and still looks amazing today.

This looks just really bad, not just the image quality everything.

I doubt it's a look at 100% finished visual's, unless they plan on doing nothing for 6 months until release, they will be finishing things and polishing the game ready for the September launch now, so I would expect things to look a little better in 6 months time.

Soriku

Nope. Nooooope

The character models are absolutely lower poly, lower texture detail in MGSV, than here.

How can people forget Quiet's triangular toes?

Her toes? From the chest up, the part you're mainly looking at, the main characters in MGSV look more detailed than Noctis and also don't have hair that's modeled as poorly (again, just going by the demo; full game might be different).

You need to replay it. IQ isn't it far distant to this demo. It's quite comparable to be fair.

I beat MGSV a couple days ago. MGSV is a notable difference. So is Witcher 3 to your comment below this.

MUnited83

For you.
With all this complaining about AA and resolution and whatever, do you guys only play like The Witcher 3 and The Order and that's it? Not every game needs to, nor should be, the absolute best game in graphics at its release. For Final Fantasy, this game seems impressive to me, and Square is new to a lot of this (well, new as in 10 years in but their first game :p)

So you don't know what IQ actually is?
A game doesn't need to be "the absolute best game in graphics at its release" to have proper IQ. In fact, IQ should be prioritized over the super shiny top of the line graphical settings that get absolutely murdered anyways because of poor IQ.

Cidd

It literally hurt my eyes in certain sections the excessive blue tint, bloom and sharpness combined with the bad fps drops I couldn't play for more than 10 mins.

Never had that problem with FFXV: Episode Duscae.

I know
Dual shockers
is banned but they posted an interview of Tabata talking to dengeki online about the demo performance today..Could Bs so who knows won't link cause it's banned.

Astral Dog

Just the result of trying to port a PS3 game on that engine to the current generation consoles, doont worry both KH 3 and FFVIIR will look (and run) much better

Zemm

yeah playing this for the first time it was surprising how it looked, it's not a good looking game. The city at the end looked terrible. You can very easily tell this is a game that started dev on the PS3.

Falk

that puzzling face
Just wanted to highlight:

This
rcl5vxs.jpg

and

are the same piece of software.

If the final game looks like the former, no problem. If it looks like the latter, you can bet the internet will be up in arms.

edit: ignore the clipping in the first picture, heh.

nib95

Banned
Might be some sort of temporal process. Perhaps some form of interpolation or reconstruction similar to Quantum Break or Shadowfall. Interesting that just like QB, it's also only when static or still that things properly sharpen up.

ethomaz

Banned
Might be some sort of temporal process. Perhaps some form of interpolation or reconstruction similar to Quantum Break or Shadowfall. Interesting that just like QB, it's also only when static or still that things properly sharpen up.
Nope.

FFXV is not using any type of tech like that (for resolution)... it has dinamic resolution up to 1080p.

BTW the resolution is not what made it IQ bad I guess... and the IQ looks bad in motionless too.

JBwB

I know
Dual shockers
is banned but they posted an interview of Tabata talking to dengeki online about the demo performance today..Could Bs so who knows won't link cause it's banned.

Some interesting information from that interview summary... Someone should post it / make a thread about it.

DeSolos

This

and

If the final game looks like the former, no problem. If it looks like the latter, you can bet the internet will be up in arms.

That was one thing that bugged me about what was shown, and it may just be the current build, but it seems as if they severely cut down on the ocean simulation. Everything was super flat and not like the CEDEC or Progress Report oceans with the rolling waves.

It would be a shame to fight Leviathan if the ocean was flat and lifeless...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

That's not saying much, the internet has a habit of getting up in arms about anything and everything!

Its kinda got to the point that I doubt most devs actually take much notice, and if they do I hope they can just laugh it off because the endless carping and negativity would be soul destroying otherwise.

Aters

Realtime vs bullshot back when it was running ps3 level models

The third picture is interesting. The carpet seems rough but the boots look great (the mud under the boots, you don't see it too often). it's like a real person steps into a video game.

Styles

That's not saying much, the internet has a habit of getting up in arms about anything and everything!

Its kinda got to the point that I doubt most devs actually take much notice, and if they do I hope they can just laugh it off because the endless carping and negativity would be soul destroying otherwise.

I feel sorry for the devs who lurk this forum. lol.

Thank god they aren't using this frankenstein engine for future games like FF7r, KH3 and DQXI. I bet it's a nightmare to work with.

That said, I think Duscae looked pretty good in motion.

Koozek

That was one thing that bugged me about what was shown, and it may just be the current build, but it seems as if they severely cut down on the ocean simulation. Everything was super flat and not like the CEDEC or Progress Report oceans with the rolling waves.

Hopefully like in the trailer:
KXRDnIS.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Am I the only one who thinks this game is gorgeous? Did you see the floor and walls in the long hallway?

Plus art direction > tech and XV has flawless art direction.

I feel like the screenshots don't do it justice and it looks worse in motion. I thought it looked a bit strange I guess it was the sharpening. I wasn't impressed with the demo, sure some assets looked good but that framerate was kinda bad.

tuxfool

Banned
Her toes? From the chest up, the part you're mainly looking at, the main characters in MGSV look more detailed than Noctis and also don't have hair that's modeled as poorly (again, just going by the demo; full game might be different).

As I've said, the texture resolution and polycount of characters in MGSV is a lot lower. They simply aren't as detailed. Now currently the shit IQ of this game destroys all semblance of quality but the models are better.

Am I the only one who thinks this game is gorgeous? Did you see the floor and walls in the long hallway?

Art direction and tech are amazing, it is just IQ that is very, very poor. The game looks pretty cool on videos, but the demo was very weird to play. IQ was all over the place (just as frame rate was). Uneven experiences tend to bother me way more than it would with a lower resolution and regular AA solution, for example.

Whompa02

No you're not the only one. :) it does look gorgeous and the art direction is absolutely fantastic. There's some rough spots, if you look hard enough, but mostly the game is quite pretty.

I think it looks fantastic in certain places under certain conditions. The rain in the middle of the night in Insomnia was breathtaking I thought. But some of the textures (and the water, yuck) in Altissia seem quite poor. I don't notice frame pacing stuff much but get it's a big deal for those who do.

So it's uneven. I think the end product will be mostly quite pretty, so I'm not particularly worried. Will it win open world console graphics gold? I don't know and don't really care as long as the story is engaging and the world is varied and fun to explore with enjoyable combat (which after Duscae 2.0 and my time with the iron giant fight I have zero concern).

Kindekuma

Banned
Issues aside, I really have to commend the lighting engine for this game. It's really what makes the visuals 'work' for this game. From what I remember what was said during the Uncovered event, the demo is meant to show off the final visuals and overall combat. Hopefully during the last few weeks before the GM copy is produced, we'll see more optimization as well.

Falk

that puzzling face

I mean the fact that the Citadel area (barring going super high up then nitpicking LOD far off into the distance) is head and shoulders above hints towards an incomplete optimization process more than anything, with the caveat that even then you'd have to take the bustle of an actual city into account.

It feels like there are two different things that come up short in some areas of the demo - an overall post processing/AA/motion blur/lighting optimization (the engine level), and individual area optimizations (the asset level). They kind of go hand in hand (since both have the end goal of getting a target resolution and framerate, resulting in a bit of give and take interaction between the two) but are still discrete processes.

Still a few months for optimization. We'll see how the final game looks. I honestly doubt it'd get up to the level of the Oct 2014 Duscae walkthroughs, but on the other hand, I also honestly doubt Square Enix would ship a game that looked like that particular Altissia pic.

edit: Midway down this post, for reference re: October Duscae walkthrough.

Condom

This game looks pretty ugly to me. I can see how it can look beautiful on PC tho so maybe I'll wait for that version

Shin-Ra

the demo looked okay on TV but i'd hate to play it on my monitor. i don't expect open world games to look fantastic on this gen of consoles anymore
Some developers do appreciate that they can't just pick all the modern graphical whizz they like, treat image quality refinement as a drop-in afterthought and expect the murky window into their game world to showcase all the whizz adequately. Some of that whizz, like the highly detailed hair strands in XV, ends up having the opposite desired effect.

The tools are already available to create highly polished realtime graphics. Even in open-world games.

As excited as I am for this game it has the worst IQ of this generation in my opinion. Its just so ugly a lot of the time, which is a shame because the actual art is fantastic
Dead Rising 3 still exists, if we're talking 'AAA'-only.

LowParry

I'll reserve judgement on Sept. 30th when the game is playing on my TV. I'm sure a lot can be done with 6 months.

I doubt it's a look at 100% finished visual's, unless they plan on doing nothing for 6 months until release, they will be finishing things and polishing the game ready for the September launch now, so I would expect things to look a little better in 6 months time.

They've been mentioning over and over again that their focus now is optimizations.

They've also stated this on Twitter:
The DX11 generation tech used for #FFXV is for console only. Once FFXV is out on console we may look at a higher spec version for PC.
It means may 'upgrade' the graphics to DX12 for PC (and most definitely PS4K and XB1.5 as well) later.

TheYanger

With all this complaining about AA and resolution and whatever, do you guys only play like The Witcher 3 and The Order and that's it? Not every game needs to, nor should be, the absolute best game in graphics at its release. For Final Fantasy, this game seems impressive to me, and Square is new to a lot of this (well, new as in 10 years in but their first game :p)

Y'know, I'm the first one to say people counting pixels are fucking themselves over, and it makes any head to head really pointless most of the time, but this demo looks and runs VERY badly, no, I don't think 30 FPS is too low for most games, no I don't think 1080p with full AA or my eyes will bleed, but I do think a game needs to look and run comfortably enough to not detract from the experience. This demo made me LESS excited for the game because it felt actually impeded by its awful IQ and framerate.

Everyone bringing up the beautiful art direction: same argument. Art direction is important, but the demo's engine is doing a huge disservice to that stuff. The controls feel shitty due to the poor frames, and 'nice' art direction looks pixellated and with weird ass halos around sharp edges which is supremely distracting.

Lemondish

This

and

Good thing the internet being up in arms means nothing at all for videogames.

I mean, shit, the last time the internet was up in arms about a gaming thing and it actually made the news, it was gamergate. So, yeah.

The Lamp

Ugh their hair looks horrible and so do the textures.

In fact the whole game doesn't look great from the shots I have seen.

The Witcher 3 and others have spoiled me.

Is this for real?

Like how do you enjoy any games if you think FF15's hair is bad.

Top Bottom