• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Nintendo make so many Kirby games?

NEO0MJ

Retro, Next-Level and Platinum (if Nintendo keeps their current relationship) would be great options for Star Fox. Monster Games could handle F-Zero, they made a good job with Excitebots and Excite Truck. Now considering the budget worries someone point as a reason to not make F-Zero, Shin'en often works with low-budget titles with amazing results, so they would be an excellent financial viable option.

Playing platinum games I think they should stay as far away as possible from vehicle and shmups games, they just can't seem to grasp them well. And Shinen is a small self-funded team who can't handle a major project.
Though I agree that Monster should be given the chance to try working on an F-Zero game, as long as they make sure its 60 FPS and doesn't have any mini-games in-race. Wanted more from them the last couple of years than pilotwing and a DKCR downport.

styl3s

People like Kirby. People buy Kirby. Nintendo accommodates those people.
Yup. Kirby is also fucking awesome.

Also, 8 games in 14 years. That isn't a lot for a franchise. Considering Mario has had over 60 games with the name Mario in the title in the last year. Call of Duty has had what? 15 games since 2003? In the 11 years COD has been out, it's had more games than Kirby in the last 14.

We need MORE Kirby games.

Celine

That's the problem. This article sums up very well Nintendo's reliance on maximizing profits direction and how bad it turned out:

http://www.dromble.com/2013/12/10/nintendos-obsession-with-finding-one-game-that-can-sell-consoles/
That's the usual interesting but ultimately flawed article by Emily Rogers.
She doesn't address why the entire traditional industry is moving toward a consolidation into few big games effectively killing the mid-budget releases (said that next Retro project cannot be another DKC...).

"Nintendo is sitting on a gold mine of intellectual properties. Microsoft and Sony would kill for your intellectual properties and franchises."
lol Emily, they would for some of them (like Mario or Pokemon) but do not for even an instant think Sony or MS would treat better those IPs.
Just look how Sony and MS handles their own legacy franchises...

Because the latest games of the genre were disappointments with awful reviews/reception or were niche franchises with little appeal unable to replicate the same popularity from Star Fox/F-Zero?
It's irrefutable those genres (the whole genre) declined from the heights of the 90s.
Publishers aren't funding those kind of games anymore because they don't think they could turn a profit big enough to justify the investment.

Would a new Star Fox or F-Zero game probably sold more than a no-name in the same genre?
Of course but that wouldn't change the sorry state of the genre.

Nintendo has tradition in reviving old franchises and making them relevant again. They did that with Metroid in 2002, DKC in 2010, Kid Icarus in 2012 and Pikmin last year. I'm glad they didn't followed your "It ain't the [insert decade here] anymore" excuse, otherwise we would never see them coming back, or even play the great games which brought back their relevancy.
Nintendo treats really well their franchises, that's why I think (hope) a new F-Zero is still in the card.

It's fantastic Nintendo greenlit the Punch Out and X sequels on Wii and DS.

Retro, Next-Level and Platinum (if Nintendo keeps their current relationship) would be great options for Star Fox. Monster Games could handle F-Zero, they made a good job with Excitebots and Excite Truck. Now considering the budget worries someone point as a reason to not make F-Zero, Shin'en often works with low-budget titles with amazing results, so they would be an excellent financial viable option.
To be clear I'm not saying Nintendo will never release new games in the Star Fox or F-Zero series.
I'm just saying it's obvious why Kirby got more games released in the past decade compared to those other two series and it had nothing to do with Iwata and everything to do with series sale potential, how costly they are to produce and if Nintendo feels there are reliable teams that can develop them (like HAL or Retro).

Tamanator

Playing platinum games I think they should stay as far away as possible from vehicle and shmups games, they just can't seem to grasp them well. And Shinen is a small self-funded team who can't handle a major project.
Though I agree that Monster should be given the chance to try working on an F-Zero game, as long as they make sure its 60 FPS and doesn't have any mini-games in-race. Wanted more from them the last couple of years than pilotwing and a DKCR downport.

Monster is like a 16 man studio, they really aren't suited for HD development (Which is why their catalogue in the last decade has involved Wii and 3DS games). Unless Nintendo buys them and increases the studio size (Which is highly unlikely) they probably won't be developing any retail Wii U games anytime soon (Of course that doesn't rule out a 3DS F-Zero, but most people seem to crave a HD installment).

FLAguy954

672edfa97d4363b2b6a324aeb0d5a4f8.png

Hm, seems a lot more crowded back in the 90s.

...What was your argument again?

I was waiting for this. Even though I agree with OP in regards to diversity, the ol' "frequency of release" argument fails again.

Celine

Monster is like a 16 man studio, they really aren't suited for HD development (Which is why their catalogue in the last decade has involved Wii and 3DS games). Unless Nintendo buys them and increases the studio size (Which is highly unlikely) they probably won't be developing any retail Wii U games anytime soon (Of course that doesn't rule out a 3DS F-Zero, but most people seem to crave a HD installment).
There are far worse suggestion in this thread, like a 5 man team as Shin'en.
I doubt Nintendo will publish a new F-Zero for a home console, unless it's a digital only release on a tight budget.

Garcia

Maybe this is just me but I haven't played a Kirby game as fun as Kirby Super Star. There have been good spin-offs (Epic Yarn being the worst Kirby game I've ever played) but nothing gets close to that SNES jewel.

Sadist

Kirby is fun.

The more experimental titles like Power Paintbrush and Epic Yarn are great and I enjoyed those a lot.

Btw, I don't understand about this obsession for Star Fox. If there's one franchise you just can't bring back or is one tough cookie to market, it's Star Fox.

Boogiepop

Maybe this is just me but I haven't played a Kirby game as fun as Kirby Super Star. There have been good spin-offs (Epic Yarn being the worst Kirby game I've ever played) but nothing gets close to that SNES jewel.

I'd argue at least Canvas Curse and Return to Dreamland give it a run for its money. It is a great game, though, for sure.

Eusis

It's not a bad game, but it just wasn't a good Kirby game. If that makes any sense.
I liked it more than Amazing Mirror, despite Amazing Mirror being on paper the kind of thing I should really dig.

I think Kirby needs a significant retool before going Metroid-style. Though some advancements brought about in games like Super Star would've been really useful in Amazing Mirror, as you kind of don't WANT to lose abilities from a single hit in an exploratory game!

And I almost thought that IGN poll was meant to be in the FF character poll thread to discredit their polls. Well, it did the job here anyway.

Yagami_Sama

They are good games and well done games.
Always have something new.

And Kirby super powers, and destructing everything on the stage is always nice to see.

Dr. Buni

People seriously need to stop acting like Metroid is dead or Nintendo is ignoring it just because there hasn't been a release for the 3DS or Wii U yet.
Metroid is dead, though. Other M killed it. :(

If it is alive and the next game is on the vein of Other M, I'd rather it to be dead. It is better do let a franchise die in peace than try to ruin it with goddamn awful games.

@thread: Woah, Kirby games are fun, but I am actually surprised by the sale numbers.

NEO0MJ

They're plentiful, but they're also incredibly fun so nobody loses.

Nintendo really should make a new F-Zero, though.

The problem is who to give that project to. After being gone for ten years they can't half-ass that series's revival. I suggested monster but I didn't know how small their team was before, they might not be able to handle a major revival.

Top Bottom