• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Sony neglect the Wild Arms series?

i mean they own the rights to the games, but they hardly push for me games/spinoffs these days which is a shame :(

plus i heard some of the members of their wild arms team left if thats true

klee123

Wild Arms is made by Media Vision and yes, the person behind Wild Arms has left.

They weren't huge sellers, so I guess SCEJ just gave up.

jiggle

they don't have a wild arms team
not the first rpg franchise sony let die
media vision is working on a psp and ps3 game

the franchise got progressively worse anyway, no big loss...

klee123 said:
Wild Arms is made by Media Vision and yes, the person behind Wild Arms has left.

They weren't huge sellers, so I guess SCEJ just gave up.

Based on interviews I've read with him, I'd say the no.1 reason is the creator of the series left, the series then lost it's advocate (he didn't direct work the psp one, but was still with Media vision at the time it was created).

Speevy

Banned
Same reason there's no more

-Suikoden
-Grandia
-Dark Cloud
-Breath of Fire
-Arc the Lad
-Valkyrie Profile
etc.

Slime

Banned
Hopefully because Media.Vision are too busy making money on awesome iOS RPGs. I think I had more fun with Chaos Rings than I have with the last couple Wild Arms games.

Speevy said:

-Breath of Fire

Still quote alive and well on cell-phones!
action_76r.gif

action_38l.gif

action_37l.gif

Zhengi

Speevy said:

-Suikoden
-Grandia
-Dark Cloud
-Breath of Fire
-Arc the Lad
-Valkyrie Profile
etc.

I loved this franchise :( This gen has been horrible.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kyoufu said:
Says Square Enix not publishing the three newest Tri-Ace games despite publishing every Tri-Ace game prior to that. :p

davepoobond said:
sony has nothing to do with valkyrie profile.

but Dark Cloud is definitely a :(
Speevy's point is that most middle/lower-middle JRPGs at the major publishers have been killed off.

Kyoufu

Nirolak said:
Says Square Enix not publishing the three newest Tri-Ace games despite publishing every Tri-Ace game prior to that. :p

Three newest tri-Ace games aren't Valkyrie Profile though! I'm confident they're secretly developing VP3. :(

Speevy said:

-Suikoden
-Grandia
-Dark Cloud
-Breath of Fire
-Arc the Lad
-Valkyrie Profile
etc.
I would trade all the brown shooters in the world to have gaming go back to where it was 10 years ago.

Aeana

Kyoufu said:
Three newest tri-Ace games aren't Valkyrie Profile though! I'm confident they're secretly developing VP3. :(
But Suguro is now working on a 3DS game.
You don't want a VP game without Suguro.

a1m

Banned
Sony heard making HD-towns is nearly impossible and very expensive.

Also there being no Dark Cloud is more sadder.

: (

squall23

a1m said:
Also there being no Dark Cloud is more sadder.
That's because Level 5 struck gold with Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven. I think it's safe to say that Level 5's games will have that hardcore "Japanese" style from now on. I mean, just look at their newest IP Danball Senki.

Aeana

squall23 said:
That's because Level 5 struck gold with Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven. I think it's safe to say that Level 5's games will have that hardcore "Japanese" style from now on. I mean, just look at their newest IP Danball Senki.
Those are their independent games. Dark Cloud has been replaced by White Knight Chronicles by Sony, at least for now.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Nirolak said:
Speevy's point is that most middle/lower-middle JRPGs at the major publishers have been killed off.

that's just how the market works, if a genre is decreasing in popularity like JRPGs have, the first to go are the niche titles :(

Famassu

Bebpo said:
Sony Japan stopped making games long long ago
You mean console games, they've made plenty of portable stuff. They are kinda like Square Enix in that regards; a few big console/PS3 games that take way too long to be developed, while they (somewhat) prosper on PSP with cool games like LocoRoco, Patapon, HotShotGolf and the upcoming Project Gravity for Vita.

DiscoJer

What I don't get is Falcom has pretty much thrived making old school JRPGs, pretty much in the vein of all of these.

I realize they are a smaller company, but still, they seem to sell a couple hundred thousand, maybe half that for Ys.

I mean, sure, those were mostly for the PSP, but they have PC versions as well, which would probably be "HD", or at least as "HD" as the current twins are.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Speevy said:

-Suikoden
-Grandia
-Dark Cloud
-Breath of Fire
-Arc the Lad
-Valkyrie Profile
etc.
Le sigh. It truly is incredibly unfortunate that the niche/lower/mid-tier titles are the first to go. Especially with regards to Suikoden.

Though to be fair to Arc the Lad, End of Darkness wasn't very good, and I get the feeling that it did not sell well--which may have triggered the series' demise. The rest of the games, especially Arc II, were magical. *hugs Arc the Lad Collection*

Aeana

DiscoJer said:
What I don't get is Falcom has pretty much thrived making old school JRPGs, pretty much in the vein of all of these.

I realize they are a smaller company, but still, they seem to sell a couple hundred thousand, maybe half that for Ys.

I mean, sure, those were mostly for the PSP, but they have PC versions as well, which would probably be "HD", or at least as "HD" as the current twins are.
Falcom knows exactly what its audience is and how much to spend to make a profit.It also has a dedicated fanbase to rely on. Sort of like Atlus. The fans also have grounded expectations, so disappointment with low budget games doesn't happen like it does when other developers do it.

TheYanger

B.K. said:
But the first game isn't even the best in the series!

The first is the ONLY good game in the series, by a country mile. Remake of it was terrible. Wild Arms worked best without complicated JRPG mechanics (Something most JRPGs could learn, of course. "MEGA SYSTEM" "POWER JUNCTION TECHNIQUE" all sorts of useless bullshit that is totally useless in the genre since 32 bit era hit). Essentially, a fun traditional JRPG with awesome awesome puzzles, zelda style. That's all it ever needed to be. Sequels needlessly take away from this formula for the sake of pointless shit like 'ammo' and 'searching the map for areas' and vitality and crap. Who gives a fuck about any of that.

Slime

Banned
Yeah, the first one is the only one I really enjoyed. The second one was one of those awkward post-FFVII RPGs that felt like it was rushing to stay relevant with really shitty imitation. The third one was the only other game in the series I'd consider good, but even then it didn't feel all that special. Didn't like either of the other ones at all, or the PSP thing.

I just don't think this was a very good series to begin with. It started off with what basically amounted to a really decent 16-bit RPG, and then faded fast. I'd much rather see Sony invest in an RPG franchise that's actually worth salvaging.

biocat

squall23 said:
I mean, just look at their newest IP Danball Senki.

Ack. Reading danboru romanized as danball kind of makes me nauseous.
The "ball" portion of danball was just Japanese people mishearing the pronunciation of "board" in "paperboard" and mistakenly called it borukami. Then cardboard came along later which was layered (dan) paperboard, so they shortened it to danboru.

Aeana

biocat said:
Ack. Reading danboru romanized as danball kind of makes me nauseous.
The "ball" portion of danball was just Japanese people mishearing the pronunciation of "board" in "paperboard" and mistakenly called it borukami. Then cardboard came along later which was layered (dan) paperboard, so they shortened it to danboru.
That's why I'm convinced that Shouta named his impressions thread that just to irritate duckroll, since he went on a tirade about that a while back.

RomanticHeroX said:
Two was a good game but suffers a bit from an awful localization. Really, just one of the worst you can find on the Playstation.
There are way worse localizations on PSX than Wild ARMs 2. You don't even have to venture outside of Sony-published games, just look at Legend of Dragoon.

biocat

Aeana said:
That's why I'm convinced that Shouta named his impressions thread that just to irritate duckroll, since he went on a tirade about that a while back.

I just looked up that thread and I'm glad I didn't notice it earlier.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I guess they're just waiting for me to catch up. I have them all here, but only finished them up to part 2. Thanks Sony. In five years you can have your Wild Arms 6. :)

Slime said:
Yeah, the first one is the only one I really enjoyed. The second one was one of those awkward post-FFVII RPGs that felt like it was rushing to stay relevant with really shitty imitation. The third one was the only other game in the series I'd consider good, but even then it didn't feel all that special. Didn't like either of the other ones at all, or the PSP thing.
In what way exactly does WA2 come off as a "post-FFVII imitation"... ? WA2 is very much akin to, well, Wild Arms and not Final Fantasy....

Aeana said:
Those are their independent games. Dark Cloud has been replaced by White Knight Chronicles by Sony, at least for now.

I hope not. WKC is rubbish compared to Dark Cloud, especially 2.

On topic, they do need to make another Wild ARMs game, if not for anything else to remedy the stain on the series that was the in game rendered opening to 5. That was a disgrace.

Top Bottom