• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Sony neglect the Wild Arms series?

madara

Yeah I miss this series. They really stepped it up for the last one I was hoping to see another one like it.

Airgetlam

I've been waiting so long for a Wild Arms 6 and a Suikoden VI. I die a little on the inside whenever a big video game conference goes by and neither are announced.

Slime

Banned
DownLikeBCPowder said:
In what way exactly does WA2 come off as a "post-FFVII imitation"... ? WA2 is very much akin to, well, Wild Arms and not Final Fantasy....

I should probably take that back. I was basing that mostly on what I remember of the story, and on second thought, I'm pretty sure I'm getting it mixed up with something else. Something else involving underground groups trying to save the world. I just remember a bunch of those from that time.

But yeah, aside from clearly not finding the story all that memorable, I just remember thinking the dungeon designs were effing atrocious, including the god-awful dungeon puzzles. And considering how much of the game involves traversing said dungeons, that kind of killed it for me. The whole thing just felt kind of dull to me at the time.

Anyway, forget what I said. I should be careful of what I post at 3 in the morning. :(

Slime said:
I should probably take that back. I was basing that mostly on what I remember of the story, and on second thought, I'm pretty sure I'm getting it mixed up with something else. Something else involving underground groups trying to save the world. I just remember a bunch of those from that time.

But yeah, aside from clearly not finding the story all that memorable, I just remember thinking the dungeon designs were effing atrocious, including the god-awful dungeon puzzles. And considering how much of the game involves traversing said dungeons, that kind of killed it for me. The whole thing just felt kind of dull to me at the time.

Anyway, forget what I said. I should be careful of what I post at 3 in the morning. :(
Based on this I'm kind of surprised you liked the first game. The heart of Wild Arms gameplay is that tool-based puzzle gameplay in dungeons and if you didn't like it in 2 I can't imagine why you would have in the first, much less the plot in the first game. But I do know plenty of people who don't really favor the second one but did enjoy the first game - if you ever get on a whim you might try the third. And despite what the haters in this thread have said, Alter Code F (the remake of the original on Ps2) is actually awesome. Sweet music and overhaul. Sure, it's a bit of a budget overhaul, but what can you expect from Wild Arms? I loved it.

Wild Arms 5 was pretty fantastic. More jrpg fans should try it. it's just quality.

I would guess though it's mostly because Sony Japan for some reason has sucked recently.

Rahxephon91 said:
Wild Arms 5 was pretty fantastic. More jrpg fans should try it. it's just quality.

I would guess though it's mostly because Sony Japan for some reason has sucked recently.

I hate the direction they went with WA4 so I never played WA5. WA4 really test my patience, from the slow hex battle system, to the characters and how they keep repeating the same thing over and over about how adult sucks, to the linear world map.

I know WA5 still use the hex battle system, so I never really play it.

what I want from Wild Arms now is just another XF sequel. the hex battle system just suit srpg genre more than traditional rpg.

madara

Callibretto said:
I hate the direction they went with WA4 so I never played WA5. WA4 really test my patience, from the slow hex battle system, to the characters and how they keep repeating the same thing over and over about how adult sucks, to the linear world map.

I know WA5 still use the hex battle system, so I never really play it.

what I want from Wild Arms now is just another XF sequel. the hex battle system just suit srpg genre more than traditional rpg.

Yeah I couldn't finish that one either. WA5 was back to huge open worlds, charming skies of arcadia/grandia vibe characters and I believe a professional writer helped them out with the story. Was very enjoyable to me.

Slime

Banned
DownLikeBCPowder said:
Based on this I'm kind of surprised you liked the first game. The heart of Wild Arms gameplay is that tool-based puzzle gameplay in dungeons and if you didn't like it in 2 I can't imagine why you would have in the first, much less the plot in the first game. But I do know plenty of people who don't really favor the second one but did enjoy the first game - if you ever get on a whim you might try the third. And despite what the haters in this thread have said, Alter Code F (the remake of the original on Ps2) is actually awesome. Sweet music and overhaul. Sure, it's a bit of a budget overhaul, but what can you expect from Wild Arms? I loved it.

It's not that I think there's anything inherently wrong with the general dungeon/puzzle concept, but I thought 2 handled them terribly. In the first game the dungeons were very well designed and the puzzles were spaced out decently, but in 2 I felt like I was running into one every time I went into another room, and that none of them were even challenging or clever. They just felt like pointless wastes of time that were artificially hindering my progress.

As for 3, I actually thought it was a decent improvement. Didn't like it as much as the first one, but quite a bit better than 2.

Oh...... not having Wild Arms 6 this generation broke my heart :(

I love the series so much, one of my all time favorite series..... I always have the OSTs in my MP3 devices.

One of my most beautiful memories as gamer were with Wild Arms 3.... Stayed up so many long summer nights playing it for hours and hours.

Wild Arms is one of a kind series.... and not having a new one is just killing me!!

Thank you SCEJ for taking away another series I loved away from me.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've only played 1 and 3 but I LOVED them... have the rest of the series I need to play through. 3 is totally worth playing, the world map and incredible level of secrets and sidequests are awesome, as are the puzzle elements. It overstays its welcome a tad
by having a small 3rd act that introduces a new villain that seems removed for the rest of the game
, but oh man it was so good and the music was awesome.

But yeah it's all those middle-tier RPGs that I loved so much in previous generations that have either went to handhelds or totally vanished. Makes me love gaming much less... I would trade every single shooter and waggle minigamefest for a BOF6/WA6/Suikoden 6.

Pyrrhus

I loved Wild Arms 1 and 3. But frankly, given the way the style and focus of the games changed in 4, 5, and XF, we're better off if they never make a WA 6. The most recent entries have just been generic anime tropes with increasingly vestigial Western motifs to the character costumes. Low budget Tales with an affected twang to its voice.

frequency

Pyrrhus said:
I loved Wild Arms 1 and 3. But frankly, given the way the style and focus of the games changed in 4, 5, and XF, we're better off if they never make a WA 6. The most recent entries have just been generic anime tropes with increasingly vestigial Western motifs to the character costumes. Low budget Tales with an affected twang to its voice.
You make me sad. :(

Personally, Wild Arms 5 and XF are probably my favourite in the series. Yeah I know the theme wasn't as Western, but whatever. It was still unique.

Also, I don't get the Tales comparison. This series is nothing like Tales. In any aspect.

I don't think anyone can blame anyone for "neglecting" any of the PSX/PS2 RPG series that we love. The majority of the fanbase seems to have moved on. Every time any JRPG is brought up, a bunch of people jump on it with the tired "anime tropes" criticism. I dislike anime but I still love these games, so I never got the whole complaint... And it's not like any other game in any other genre is free of "tropes".

cj_iwakura

I'm halfway into WA4. I hardly think it's as bad as people say. The story is nothing special, but Raquel is awesome. Good combat system, too.

Pyrrhus

frequency said:
Also, I don't get the Tales comparison. This series is nothing like Tales. In any aspect.

I'm not saying WA is a copy of Tales in terms of mechanics or specifics of plot (though the first two were riffing extremely heavily on Lufia II's structure). I'm saying the later games are focused on trying to do the same sort of thing as Tales, namely be an RPG that feels like an anime series. But those games don't do it as well as Tales and have given up a lot of their own character in the attempt.

Do we have any idea on what Media Vision are working on?

I wouldn't be surprised if they've moved their PSP game to Vita and continued to develop their PS3 game.

D3RANG3D said:
Because the only good one is the first one...

51f3SP7mFPL.jpg

¿Que?

MechaX

To be honest, after Star Ocean 4, WA5's worst offenders (Dean and Carol) really don't even seem that bad anymore.

But I do appreciate that they sped up the Hex System from how molasses-slow it was in WA4. But I just hated WA4 in general.

Aeana

RurouniZel said:
Wild Arms V was amazing! I wish a sixth would be made. :-/
Yeah, so they can get to a seventh, since only the odd-numbered games end up being good.

MechX said:
To be honest, after Star Ocean 4, WA5's worst offenders (Dean and Carol) really don't even seem that bad anymore.
Nah, man, Dean is the worst hero in a game everrrrrrrrr. Haaaaaaaaaaaate himmmmm.

M-PG71C

Speevy said:
Same reason there's no more

-Suikoden
-Grandia
-Dark Cloud
-Breath of Fire
-Arc the Lad
-Valkyrie Profile
etc.

That makes me extremely sad. I think that's why I didn't like this generation all that much. Everything I grew up with (Except Nintendo) has been wiped out. :(

Oh, and I actually liked Wild Arms 4 but I'm an odd one anyway. :p

cj_iwakura said:
I'm halfway into WA4. I hardly think it's as bad as people say. The story is nothing special, but Raquel is awesome. Good combat system, too.

Listen to this man.

Not only was Raquel a great character (my favorite female character in a game, actually), her combat damage was tremendous. The bosses in WA5 wouldn't have lasted ten seconds if she was in that game. XD In all honesty, the only REALLY bad thing about WA4 was the story, which wasn't game breakingly bad. Even though it was short, it had replay value with being able to carry over, the characters were cool, and the battle system was great.

Aeana said:
Yeah, so they can get to a seventh, since only the odd-numbered games end up being good.

Wow, hope you sleep with one eye open. Them's fightin' words for the rabid WA2 fans out there if you're saying 3 and 5 are better games (which I am not one of, just saying). XD

MechaX

Aeana said:
Nah, man, Dean is the worst hero in a game everrrrrrrrr. Haaaaaaaaaaaate himmmmm.

I'm probably like 15 hours in and so far Dean hasn't really been that bad. Yeah, he's not a good main character by any means and he seems like a worse-done Justin from Grandia I. But he just isn't rubbing me the wrong way/compelling me to beat my nearest wall with my head like Edge Maverick, Jude Maverick, Fayt, Rush, 2/3rds of the FFXIII cast, etc.

Aeana

MechaX said:
I'm probably like 15 hours in and so far Dean hasn't really been that bad. Yeah, he's not a good main character by any means and he seems like a worse-done Justin from Grandia I. But he just isn't rubbing me the wrong way/compelling me to beat my nearest wall with my head like Edge Maverick, Jude Maverick, Fayt, Rush, 2/3rds of the FFXIII cast, etc.
You'll see.

MechaX

Aeana said:
You'll see.

... At first, I was like "there's no way. There is no way at all."

But the cynic that is me is like "she is probably on to something; horrendousness is limitless, especially in JRPGs."

Bulzeeb

I have a better question, why does Sony neglect Legend of Dragoon, it was an excellent game back in the day and I am quite sure it sell well

Takao

Banned
Acrylic7 said:
its Sony

Same reason I cant get a Folklore 2 for Move exclusively.
*throws remote*

You're going to hate to hear this, but apparently GameRepublic pitched a Folklore 2 to SCEJ, but were denied.

kevm3

Sony released tons of different Wild Arms games on PS2. It's JRPGs in general that has been neglected by Sony and Japan in general during this console generation.

Undubbed

I loved the Wild Arms 3 demo. Played it, like, 10 times. Gave me a positive first impression of the series. If I actually had money at the time I certainly would of bought it. Still don't have or played the actual game though.

Other than that, I do have the PSN download of Wild Arms, but I never played beyond 30 minutes of it. Eh, maybe I should get to it someday, especially since, I think, the same people did the greatest thing since the invention of the Sun, Legend of Legaia.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It's not just Wild Arms

SCEJ do this with most of their IPs, Alundra ,Arc the Lad,Dark Cloud,FantaVision,Jumping Flash,Legend of Dragoon,Motor Toon GP,Okage: Shadow King,Omega Boost,PaRappa the Rapper, PoPoLoCrois, Rule of Rose..ect

SCEJ is just stupid or something (but to be fair SCEA and SCEE ignore their old IP too but they make new games and good one unlike SCE Dead Studio)

Bulzeeb said:
I have a better question, why does Sony neglect Legend of Dragoon, it was an excellent game back in the day and I am quite sure it sell well

I'm not a big fan of Legend of Dragoon, the battle system rely too much on reflex and timing that I have hard time playing it, especially that green dude (I remember them by their color, not names), his timing is so weird I rarely pull off successful attack with him.

but, if given the choice between bringing back LoD and WA, I think I'll choose Legend of Dragoon, LoD is kinda like Sony's FF, a big budget rpg, their fmv is ridiculously awesome for it's time. I want Sony to do that kinda of project once more, their landmark RPG title, with high production value.

Totobeni said:
It's not just Wild Arms

SCEJ do this with most of their IPs, Alundra ,Arc the Lad,Dark Cloud,FantaVision,Jumping Flash,Legend of Dragoon,Motor Toon GP,Okage: Shadow King,Omega Boost,PaRappa the Rapper, PoPoLoCrois, Rule of Rose..ect

SCEJ is just stupid or something (but to be fair SCEA and SCEE ignore their old IP too but they make new games and good one unlike SCE Dead Studio)

In case you haven't been following the worldwide videogame market, most of those are jRPGs or decidedly "japanese" games, and jRPGs and decidedly japanese games don't sell much outside of Japan (and barely IN japan). It's not 1997 anymore when every Japanese RPG could piggy back off FF7's success.

Totobeni said:
It's not just Wild Arms

isn't most of those games are not developed internally? Sony like to collect IP, but when the developer move on to other console or find new publishers, Sony's IP are left without their original developer.

the only reason we got Twisted Metal now is because Jaffe come back and said maybe they should make a new Twisted Metal.

I'm pretty surprised that Wild ARMs 5 wasn't just released on the PSP instead. It came out very late during the PS2's life and killed any chance for it. Maybe even a port of it with extra features.

Wild ARMs XF was pretty good. Not as good as the other SRPGs (Jeanne D'Arc, FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Disgaea). But it looks like Sony just didn't care for it since XSeed localized both Wild ARMs XF and V.

I'd like to see them revive the series. Maybe Atlus can buy the rights and make a 3DS or Vita game.

I would love to see some of these make a comeback on the new handhelds. But after reading about Solatorobo's insanely long development cycle and what it took for the developers to finally release it on the DS, it isn't very encouraging for these other RPG series. Even handhelds won't be a viable platform anymore. :(

Ravage

Bulzeeb said:

Always happy to see some LoD love :)

A mid-budget LoD for Vita would be sweet, but i've no idea how the story can continue from where the first one left off. On a side note, the WKC series seem to have quite a bit in common with LoD - transforming dragoons, timed combos, kidnapped childhood sweetheart, etc...

Alex

It was a pretty iffy series but XF was uncharacteristically good. One of the better Japanese SRPGs of the last few years.

Shame it went by the wayside while completely mindless slop like Jeanne d'Arc got the attention. Yeesh was that game a mess, reminds me a lot of the original Arc the Lad where you'd just take Arc,blow through their terrible maps with one hit kills while leaving the rest of the group in the corner.

Japan seems to have this impossibly hard time with balancing strategy games in general outside of a few notables, not just "oh well the game balance is pretty bad" bad but more along the lines of "how the fuck did this ship?" bad. Valkyria is a good example... it has such neat mechanics but what does it matter when you have your singular beefed up scout to sprint the map, sniping people with insta kills!

Top Bottom