• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why has no one made a really cinematic air fighting game?

Think of somethign with the production value of The Last of Us or God of War but the gameplay and combat of Starfox (but more ‘advanced’) a game with real dog fighting with huge realistic explosions in air, and people falling out of the sky, nice realistic looking vistas (flight sim looking stuff), big set pieces…etc?

Imagine a set piece where you eject yourself from your plane and land on a large carrier ship and you have to have an old school fist fight like winter soldier on top of this moving plane while other ones are exploding around you and trying to shoot at you.

I don’t care if its more fantasy or real, but I think its an untapped market. Outside of Ace Combat nothign really exist on that level. Chorvs is ok but still feels smaller in scope.

Last edited:
Imagine a set piece where you eject yourself from your plane and land on a large carrier ship and you have to have an old school fist fight like winter soldier on top of this moving plane while other ones are exploding around you and trying to shoot at you.
Closest game series I can think of for this specific idea:

maxresdefault.jpg

I do hope that a lot of the next wave of open world games get to explore verticality more in terms of game design. You're right that there is a lot of potential in the sky but usually it's still treated as a last little bonus feature instead of an actual gameplay tool.

Can't you just play Ace Combat 7 and pause then game between missions to watch fifteen minute clips of Top Gun? Why mess up the pacing of a game with cinematics?
You're thinking of games not built around cinematics, which would mean that cinematics are a hindrance to them. OP is thinking of the opposite.

Not sure if this helps, but imagine a Metal Gear Solid 3 side story game that was based around a pilot that the colonel knew. That premise would match what OP is wanting.

MarkMe2525

I was thinking the same, but didn't want to be the one that said it.

Ultimately, the idea described would be niche, and rarely do "gamey games" (for the lack of a better term) get such budgets for production values equal to the games mentioned in OP. Though as always, you never know and never say never.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why limit to on rails and not play full free roam arcadey flight games like Ace Combat 7 and Project Wingman? On rail shooter is a nearly dead genre so it only gets nostalgic retro titles, if any at all, without the budget that could afford such things or style that would benefit from it.

You can always replay Panzer Dragoon Orta as the last relatively high budget one I guess (and it was only afforded such a budget because of the series' legacy being big in part thanks to having the RPG entry anyway), or hope that Zwei's remake will turn out a lot better than the first.

It's also unrealistic to expect one game to do radically different gameplay styles well, a flight game to have good fist fighting on top? Most games don't even get one right. Anyway, you're all over the place, if you just mean fancy looking flight/space combat there are games to play.

Dunno why you'd want more gameplay interruptions or think they don't already look cool enough, when games like Hawx and Ace Combat: Assault Horizon tried that thankfully response wasn't the best so they've gone back to gameplay first priorities while still having a storyline too.​

Last edited:
Why limit to on rails and not play full free roam arcadey flight games like Ace Combat 7 and Project Wingman? On rail shooter is a nearly dead genre so it only gets nostalgic retro titles, if any at all, without the budget that could afford such things or style that would benefit from it.

You can always replay Panzer Dragoon Orta as the last relatively high budget one I guess (and it was only afforded such a budget because of the series' legacy being big in part thanks to having the RPG entry anyway), or hope that Zwei's remake will turn out a lot better than the first.

I mentioned dog fighting

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Last one I played was Wings on the Amiga or Wings of Glory by Origin Systems, Wing Commander 2 and 3 pretty much fit this bill. Tie Fighter, not entirely sims.

Scam Citizen?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
This is what they should do but instead we get the same old crud because they're all scared to take risks.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Why? AAA devs still trying to figure out how to implement pointless climbing, squeezing trough cracks and slow walking sections when you control a plane.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Elite Dangerous has an audio-visual presentation that's virtually unmatched in this genre, although it's not a story driven linear experience.

Star Citizen also looks jaw-dropping but again, it's more of a space truckin', immersive experience.

Your best bet are probably Ace Combat 7 and Star Wars: Squadrons. Squadrons in particular looks and feels incredible in VR and with a decent HOTAS setup.

Last edited:

begotten

Kind of off topic since I can ask this question in here;

Is the lore of Ace Combat actually really good and deep? I heard the characters and plot punches well above its' weight for a arcade flying game. I just don't think I could play these games myself.

baphomet

There's definitely an untapped market for a killer plane based combat game, but what op describes sounds awful.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Because there’s not a big enough audience to justify it.

If you want pretty looking space shooters, they exist.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Think of somethign with the production value of The Last of Us or God of War but the gameplay and combat of Starfox (but more ‘advanced’) a game with real dog fighting with huge realistic explosions in air, and people falling out of the sky, nice realistic looking vistas (flight sim looking stuff), big set pieces…etc?

I don’t care if its more fantasy or real, but I think its an untapped market. Outside of Ace Combat nothign really exist on that level. Chorvs is ok but still feels smaller in scope.
because the replays in ace combat look cinematic as hell and they didnt need any cutscenes. consider watching one of thsoe every time youre done with a flight

Guilty_AI

Why? Because you're asking someone to spend AAA budget money on a niche product that won't sell all that much. Even Ace Combat 7 sold, what, 4 million copies after years?

Unless you can somehow pitch this to Kojima, its unlikely for something so specific to be made. At most some GTA/Just Cause style game, or more stuff like Ace Combat and Chorvs, like Project Wingman or Everspace 2.

Besides, i feel you and I have very different definitions of 'scope' in games.

Last edited:

Lasha

Is the game really an aerial combat game if we are ejecting onto aircraft carriers to have fistfights? The market for what you propose is probably miniscule. I love flying games and I would probably avoid something like this.

DaGwaphics

Why does everything need to be cinematic.

IKR, of all the genres I can't think of one that needs a bunch of b-grade cinematics less than an air fighter. 🤷‍♂️

Always loved these from the original air combat on PS1 to Hawks on PC. I've got to get to the latest Ace, it's been in the backlog forever.

Last edited:
Does everyone forget Warhawk on PS3? We need that in the Decima engine. Make it look real but make the gameplay very unrealistic and silly.

Naked Lunch

They tried the cinematic approach with Ace Combat Assault Horizon, complete with slow motion bullet time close ups and such, and it was the worst entry in the entire series.
Assault Horizon nearly killed the entire franchise - and put the series on hiatus for 8 years.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Neo Member
if ace combat team isn't developing it don't bother, but they would need to partner up with another dev that's good at the ground combat to make this work.
IKR, of all the genres I can't think of one that needs a bunch of b-grade cinematics less than an air fighter. 🤷‍♂️

Always loved these from the original air combat on PS1 to Hawks on PC. I've got to get to the latest Ace, it's been in the backlog forever.
Man you gotta play ac7, but yea ace combat team is untouchable in the air combat genre. they tried to be flashy with Assault Horizon failed. I think things are fine right now.

Op, I think the closest thing to what you describe is more COD: Infinite Warfare:

Games like AC7 and Ace Combat: Assualt Horizon are cinematic flying games, but don't have any of the on-foot action you describe.

COD: Infinite Warfare, however, had slick FPS action but combined with limited space dogfighting action; but even better was the way they handled the real-time in-game transitions between the two, where you exit your bird in zero-G and board enemy vessels for a shoot-out within the halls of the enemy frigates.

It was truly some WH40K shit and a huge reason why I fucking love that game.

I'd love for Sony to make a new Colony Wars in that same vein. I.e. really flesh out the space-based combat with huge explosions and sick space-based dogfighting, while also including boarding action and slick on-foot FPS/TPS shooting. With Sony First Party production values, it would be my dream game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom