• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Microsoft using a Nvidia GTX 7xx in the Xbox One demo units?

Sethos

Banned
Judging by the cooler, that's either a GTX 780 or a Titan (it's probably the Titan as only it has enough VRAM) which are more than 3x faster than the Xbox One GPU, why would MS use PCs with such a massive performance jump over the real hardware?

Titan only has 6GB, the Xbox One is sporting 8 and is clearly superior. So I don't see why people need to make such a fuss, it's a slightly worse GPU.

Sendou

Also where are the haters now? XBONE is packing a Titan. 500 bucks doesn't seem so expensive now, does it? Bitches

Raide

Bullshit.

At E3' your games crash. You don't bring specifications of a system that aren't mirroring your console at all, and play it on that. Everyone warns that its buggy before you play it, and often even shoulder-play next to you. Microsoft's PR has to redefine everything, i see now its E3 as a gaming expo. Now all of a sudden devs didn't have kits as well as consoles running hardware in the past. Not Performance PC's.

I dunno. They would get murdered for showing off amazing footage and then no delivering on it. They are either tweaking the specs to go up, or that was a close approx to what they are expect the system to be.

Just like how the Xbox 360's were running on 2 Power Mac G5's
Meaning they have no working hardware at the moment and the thing is supposed to launch in a mere five months. What happened the last time Microsoft rushed hardware without giving it proper time for testing?

uBK2jUL.jpg

commedieu

Banned
Do we know what games were supposedly show on these PC's?

Any game running on non-comparable hardware is creating the bottleneck MS will have to deal with. Consumer expectations at E3, will definitely be let down as there is no way console cards will run with the one in Op.

Will be amazing to watch this, I can't understand the logic, but I can understand them trying to everything to paint their games in a better light with all of the negativity out now.

I dunno. They would get murdered for showing off amazing footage and then no delivering on it. They are either tweaking the specs to go up, or that was a close approx to what they are expect the system to be.
You don't know, sure. But history at E3 already knows, and there is precedent. Anyone can chime in here on this, but you don't show consumers what they expect to play, running on a power PC... then expect to get anything remotely close to that performance when your system is hampered with 3xOperating systems.

Also, so the PC was doing the cloud functions that only the Xbone is capable of(all hail cloud.)? Or is it running things without the cloud, just like everyone else is, just fine? There are too many levels of nonsense that rise from the basic concept that MS is using vastly different hardware than their own, when you're shipping in 5 months.

From Microsoft's position, and your position of assuming all things are on track, you'd expect devkits/or at least consoles showing our product. From how they are going to change the way we feel and think of games, and that the xbone is superior to the PC's gaming experience.

Why is it running on a PC to show the target that the console will literally be unable to achieve due to specifications(OF WhAT WE KNOW), and what we don't know is really data to confirm a bleak outlook.

Its sad that MS's fans have to sit here, with all of this, and just pray that its going to be better. As Microsoft themselves are doing absolutely nothing to state otherwise.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
It's not a Titan, it's a 780 GTX.

(Not that this makes the misrepresentation any better)

Titan only has 6GB, the Xbox One is sporting 8 and is clearly superior. So I don't see why people need to make such a fuss, it's a slightly worse GPU.

It's not slightly worse, it's a LOT worse, a 780 GTX is about 3 times more powerful than the Xbox One GPU.

So were they "emulating" Xbone code or were they running straight up PC versions?

And why was the IQ of most games so bad if they has 700s?

harSon

Banned
thuway said that games will get a big graphical downgrade after first being shown

I will laugh if it turns out to be true.

Maybe we can get CBOAT to clarify?

He also said that Final Fantasy XV was exclusive to Playstation 4, and that Sony was helping to get it released on a timely fashion. He also said Sony was trying to secure Kingdom Hearts 3 before the conference.

Raide

Any game running on non-comparable hardware is creating the bottleneck MS will have to deal with. Consumer expectations at E3, will definitely be let down as there is no way console cards will run with the one in Op.

Will be amazing to watch this, I can't understand the logic, but I can understand them trying to everything to paint their games in a better light with all of the negativity out now.

So do we know if any/all games show as XBOne titles were PC based?

It will certainly be interesting to watch.

lupin23rd

Trying to pack on the pounds for the weigh-in?

Maybe this explains why they were trolling Nintendo @ best buy locations, gotta stick to your own weight class.

Ploid 3.0

To emulate the entire system?

Wouldn't it be bst to use a AMD card to emulate a amd based solution that Xbox One will use? Can Titan emulate the possible framerate issues that a real Xbox One could possibly have running those games at 1080p 60fps?

Sethos

Banned
And why was the IQ of most games so bad if they has 700s?

Because IQ doesn't automatically improve just because you have a better GPU. You kind of need to take steps for it to happen, just gives you a power overhead. They are clearly running the games at 'Console' settings and then have a ton of overhead to spare and to brute force any potential hiccups.

You can absolutely not be serious. Did it ever occur in your small console mind that RAM is not the primary defining factor in determining power? Has playing at ~640p 25FPS for all these years atrophied your mind to the point that you're willing to accept anything your fellow console zealots spew about RAM being the one and only spec in the world you should care about? Your type is seriously damaging the level of discourse on here when anything technically minded comes up and it would behoove you to go read up on the basics of GPU hardware and maybe then you would begin to understand that this 'weaker' Titan absolutely destroys the tincan GPU in your overpriced box of choice.

Crisium

I'm pretty sure my 680 is labelled like that.

You're correct, my bad. But that's basically 770 performance anyway.

So it is either a GTX Titan, 780, 770, or 680.

Cards that retail from $400-$1000 while the Radeon 7790, most comparable, is a $140 card.

It's one thing to say dev kits are PCs. Of course they are. But shouldn't the PC using a card closer to the actual Xbone GPU, which is somewhere around an AMD Radeon 7770, 7790, or 7850ish? These cards retail between $120 and $180.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
You can absolutely not be serious. Did it ever occur in your small console mind that RAM is not the primary defining factor in determining power? Has playing at ~640p 25FPS for all these years atrophied your mind to the point that you're willing to accept anything your fellow console zealots spew about RAM being the one and only spec in the world you should care about? You're type is seriously damaging the level of discourse on here when anything technically minded comes up and it would behoove you to go read up on the basics of GPU hardware and maybe then you would begin to understand that this 'weaker' Titan absolutely destroys the tincan GPU in your overpriced box of choice.

EOLdWs3.jpg

Coconut

Banned

Have you considered that they are dealing with unoptimized games and they might be just brute forcing them with processing power?

Sendou

You can absolutely not be serious. Did it ever occur in your small console mind that RAM is not the primary defining factor in determining power? Has playing at ~640p 25FPS for all these years atrophied your mind to the point that you're willing to accept anything your fellow console zealots spew about RAM being the one and only spec in the world you should care about? You're type is seriously damaging the level of discourse on here when anything technically minded comes up and it would behoove you to go read up on the basics of GPU hardware and maybe then you would begin to understand that this 'weaker' Titan absolutely destroys the tincan GPU in your overpriced box of choice.

Do you know the kind of rig the guy you quoted has :p

Raide

Haha, why do I get the feeling you just got caught.

Levyne

Banned

Never fails, hahahahaha

Edit: Removed second quote since he realized it had to be a joke.

Edit: A joke reply to a joke post? This is getting too meta. Uh, I'm joking too!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I said this in that other thread:
I remember Thuway saying this would happen. That they'd use some high spec PCs at E3 to make their games look better, then downgrade accordingly for real hardware. Of course he got literally railed for that comment. Incredible.

He also said that Final Fantasy XV was exclusive to Playstation 4, and that Sony was helping to get it released on a timely fashion. He also said Sony was trying to secure Kingdom Hearts 3 before the conference.
Frankly, being that they were both only at Sony's conference, I can see how someone would assume they were pushing to make them exclusive.

charsace

Wouldn't it be bst to use a AMD card to emulate a amd based solution that Xbox One will use? Can Titan emulate the possible framerate issues that a real Xbox One could possibly have running those games at 1080p 60fps?

Yes, but it could also not be an issue since the devs don't have direct access to the hardware when developing X1 games. The devs deal with the X1's version of DX11.
Didn't even know they had 7xxs and titans back then.
Don't be stupid. The first 360 game demo's were running on dual Mac G5's with X800 cards to emulate the performance of the 360. You need a lot of power to emulate different hardware. That's why they are using these powerful computers.

Lulubop

Were the Battlefield 4 demos running on this? I remember Peter Moore saying that they were running on PC's similarly specs to the Xbox One.

You can absolutely not be serious. Did it ever occur in your small console mind that RAM is not the primary defining factor in determining power? Has playing at ~640p 25FPS for all these years atrophied your mind to the point that you're willing to accept anything your fellow console zealots spew about RAM being the one and only spec in the world you should care about? Your type is seriously damaging the level of discourse on here when anything technically minded comes up and it would behoove you to go read up on the basics of GPU hardware and maybe then you would begin to understand that this 'weaker' Titan absolutely destroys the tincan GPU in your overpriced box of choice.

His sarcasm has gotten you LOL

Ploid 3.0

Because IQ doesn't automatically improve just because you have a better GPU. You kind of need to take steps for it to happen, just gives you a power overhead. They are clearly running the games at 'Console' settings and then have a ton of overhead to spare and to brute force any potential hiccups.

Yep, on PC I can make my games look a bit ugly and lock my framerate to 60, and set my resolution to 720p even if I can run it at 4k resolution and 120fps.

to be fair nothing suggests it's a high end 7, could be low end.

The lowest end 700 series right now is the GTX 770, which is a little faster than a GTX 680

So it' still got a lot more power than what's in the Xbone

This is assuming they don't have access to unreleased tech from nvidia, though since they are in bed with AMD for their consoles I doubt they would.

Because nvidia has better virtualization tech then amd if im not mistaken.

His sarcasm has gotten you LOL
Its the influx of new members and the console wars that is going on.
Im quiet a tech person i like to discus those topics but right now on gaf gaming side its impossible.
Hard to tell when some one is serious want to follow up the discussion or is just there to troll microsoft.

Right, I guess even MS was ashamed to go the extra mile and add more AA or downsampling.

The comparisons to the launch titles will be very interesting. Downclocking is hopefully off the table, seeing in how few countries they are releasing it now.

Won't the games be built for DirectX rather than for a specific GPU, especially at this stage?
Frankly, being that they were both only at Sony's conference, I can see how someone would assume they were pushing to make them exclusive.
Possibly, but he's also the guy who said that if it doesn't say exclusive at the conference, then it isn't exclusive. Still, he got some stuff right, some stuff wrong. He's only relying on his sources after all, and they may not all feed him correct information.

Top Bottom