• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Microsoft using a Nvidia GTX 7xx in the Xbox One demo units?

Making the game look better than it actually will at launch.
Wait, wait, wait.

Didn't one of our GAF insiders (CBoaT?) lay out this exact scenario? Everyone assumed that he/she meant that the system was being down-clocked but could they have meant that games were going to be deliberately made to look better at E3?

I can't imagine that any 3rd party dev would participate with that but what about 1st parties?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This picture was shot at e3

Look closely at the card in the desktop.

Apparently the demo units for the Xbox aren't using dev kits that are at the same level as what the Xbox specs are going to be. They are using PC's that have an Nvidia GTX card inside. For anyone that doesn't know about graphic cards and the technology differences, an Nvidia GTX 700 card should be much more powerful than the GPU in what will be the Xbox One.

Didn't you just create this same thread and it was locked?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590361

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
No confirmation on what game was running on that, though?

Anyway, Xbox One's dev environment isn't said to be in the most mature state at the moment so I figured we'd see stuff like this.

I said this in that other thread:
I remember Thuway saying this would happen. That they'd use some high spec PCs at E3 to make their games look better, then downgrade accordingly for real hardware. Of course he got literally railed for that comment. Incredible.

Ah, that's who it was.

Cidd

Wait, wait, wait.

Didn't one of our GAF insiders (CBoaT?) lay out this exact scenario? Everyone assumed that he/she meant that the system was being down-clocked but could they have meant that games were going to be deliberate made to look better at E3?

I can't imagine that any 3rd party dev would participate with that but what about 1st parties?

Thuway said that months ago, it's all starting to add up.

Sethos

Banned
You can absolutely not be serious. Did it ever occur in your small console mind that RAM is not the primary defining factor in determining power? Has playing at ~640p 25FPS for all these years atrophied your mind to the point that you're willing to accept anything your fellow console zealots spew about RAM being the one and only spec in the world you should care about? Your type is seriously damaging the level of discourse on here when anything technically minded comes up and it would behoove you to go read up on the basics of GPU hardware and maybe then you would begin to understand that this 'weaker' Titan absolutely destroys the tincan GPU in your overpriced box of choice.

What the hell man, I'd like to see your credentials to call me out like that. I have an engineering degree at Stanford University and I also took a cooking class, so I know perfectly well what I'm talking about. RAM accounts for around 94% of a consoles power and is a major factor in framerate - Look at the Titan versus the GeForce 2, it's clearly faster due to a much larger RAM pool, Google it if you don't believe me. I'm always well aware of Teraflops and whatnot but it's such an irrelevant number compared to RAM. RAM means Random Access Memory, if you can't access the entire thing is useless.

The Titan is weak compared to the PS4 for an example, 6GB GDDR5 ( lol ) vs 8GB GDDR5 is a no-brainer. Seriously, read a newspaper on this stuff before you lecture me.

Ricky_R

1jgq.jpg

Crisium

So if the lowest performing card it could possibly be is the GTX 680... then consider that even double (crossfire) what the Xbone is really closest to based on rumours (7790) cannot even touch that:

You better believe that coding to the metal can give you more than 2x performance. Believe in the secret sauce.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The weird part is that it's not an AMD GPU.
Not really. Dev studios from what I've seen almost exclusively work with nVidia GPUs. Even AMD Partnered ones until later.
.....Never mind I see it now...HP branded computer with GTX graphics card...Can someone figure out its model?
It's a 770 or 780 (or Titan) GTX 680, which is more than double the XBO's performance

Are there no legal ramifications for blatant misrepresentation of the games that MS showed if there is indeed significant visual reduction? I mean they are basically telling a lie to consumers if true.

Durante

Ever since his meta-meta RAM posts, Horse Armour has become my favourite poster.

Anyway, the interesting point here isn't that it runs on a PC (everything does!), it's that it runs on a PC with a Nvidia GPU.

(And, well, that the PC is running Windows 7 and not 8 is also somewhat amusing)

ypo

Don't worry people. The developers have removed GDDR5 and slapped on DDR3 and Esram to emulate an Xbone. *Running at Xbone specs* is totally legit.

commedieu

Banned
Have you considered that they are dealing with unoptimized games and they might be just brute forcing them with processing power?

No need to consider that for my PC developers, Or Sony's developers, and even nintendo's developers. Brute force isn't a videocard capable of displaying images in a way that your console could never display. Sorry, but I don't have to make up shit solely for microsofts benefit. Feels better this way.

These sort of ideas don't need to happen for everyone outside of Microsoft. Others build a game, show the game, game sometimes crashes, it gets released. Thats been happening for generations. Every single statement about the XBONE processing/power/cloud is rendered null and void when they are running game builds without any of it, and it allegedly looks great(according to all the previews). It means all of it is still unseen.

Again, these are all -100 dollars more expensive behind a DRM wall with 24 hour online requirements- problems, but you'd figure for what we know, Microsoft would consider it paramount to show off their wonder device, actually working in ways to justify the pricedrmonline.

It will be seen as more avoidance, as its not done by anyone else. As usual.

Levyne

Banned
Are there no legal ramifications for blatant misrepresentation of the games that MS showed if there is indeed significant visual reduction? I mean they are basically telling a lie to consumers if true.

Well, they could justify (to some) the use of the an extra powerful gpu to emulate what a final optimized game would run like from a non-final, unoptimized demo.

I guess? Maybe? Devil's advocate.

Zomba13

Whose to say they are even using the full power of the card? What if (if that card is in all the dev kits) they have that card but underclocked or something or only using X%?

Is that even possible? (Honest questions here. I have no idea how this stuff works.)

Tfault

And if you look carefully at the picture you will see the 'secret sauce', the power of the cloud above the PC Case!

I would bet 80% of ps4 titles and demos are running on pc builds too.
Its how the industry works at E3 and especially with next gen console coming out in 4~5 months.

I almost think they should move E3 a little closer to the holidays if it weren't for the other shows being then like Gamescom.

HoodWinked

they're all like that even at the ps4 booths, adam boyes said there are few actual ps4s and just getting the one for GB after hour took some convincing.

jet1911

What was the game demoed at this station? Were there orher demo stations like that, every demo stations? Is Gaf again jumping to conclusion way too fast?

liquidtmd

Banned

They'll need a Lawyer to parade around the 'This is a game still in development and may differ from the final product' defence

I hear Gearboxes is pretty good

Durante

Whose to say they are even using the full power of the card? What if (if that card is in all the dev kits) they have that card but underclocked or something or only using X%?

Is that even possible? (Honest questions here. I have no idea how this stuff works.)
They can absolutely only be using x% of the card. I'd certainly hope so, otherwise they'll have lots of trouble getting the same thing to run on real XB1 hardware.

The good point about using hardware far more powerful than the target to show off a game in an early stage of development is that it smoothes out any framerate issues you might otherwise experience. That doesn't necessarily mean that the same performance cannot be achieved on real hardware, just that it can't be done right now. Of course, conversely there's also never a guarantee with optimizations.

Raide

Well, they could justify (to some) the use of the an extra powerful gpu to emulate what a final optimized game would run like from a non-final, unoptimized demo.

I guess? Maybe? Devil's advocate.

Well, you could underclock it but al you really have is the same clock speeds. They would ideally have to use a card with a similar setup and tweak the speeds. That really does not give you a good impression on how a system will work, especially one designed like the Xbox One.

harSon

Banned
Do people honestly think this is some type of conspiracy? I'd believe such a theory if Microsoft's games were the only graphically intense games at the show, but 3rd party games weren't exactly looking too shabby. Unless you think 3rd party developers are sharing the burden of the coverup.

Top Bottom