• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Microsoft using a Nvidia GTX 7xx in the Xbox One demo units?

Said yet?

Could it be that the pc is just a developer environment that is needed to run beta or debug builds. There seems to be a secondary box in each stand with a cable running to the pc.
le08qFR.jpg

Fezan

xzibit_meme_7219-s510x334-157605.jpg

I doubt that. Why bother with apha dev kits last year if they could just visualize the whole thing with any PC? They shipped 7970s to get devs GCN core to work with.
just my assumption.
if it's not the case why use such a powerful card?

I guess it turned out fine (except for the Tweeted crash) but those PCs don't look like they got any breathing room stuck in those tiny wooden cabinets. Why would you set them up like that

The Cowboy

I've no issue them demoing games on the PC (common practice), but its very strange that the card isn't AMD. In fact surely AMD would/should have requested/demanded that all demo units use AMD CPUS & GPUs right?.

Very weird to have a deal with AMD and then demo the games using Nvidia.

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, there is no way those things were running "virtual XBones". Certainly not on top of Windows 7 with just a normal desktop PC. These were plain old PCs running PC code. Not unprecedented but certainly deceptive and the argument that they were "spec'd to the XBone" is very shaky.

coldfoot

Banned
Pleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejokingpleasebejoking
Why?
I doubt the Xbone API at launch goes much lower level than DX11.1 already does.

Durante

Yeah, there is no way those things were running "virtual XBones". Certainly not on top of Windows 7 with just a normal desktop PC. These were plain old PCs running PC code. Not unprecedented but certainly deceptive and the argument that they were "spec'd to the XBone" is very shaky.
Yeah, I agree that this is by far the most likely explanation.

charsace

Corsair 650D + H60 + high end motherboard =/= MS emulator.

That's a custom rig.
well an emulator is software so any rig that has the power to run it can run it? there are emulators for android hardware for development. i would think a high spec PC would be needed to emulate an x1.

Caayn

HyperV says hi!

Ploid 3.0

Said yet?

Could it be that the pc is just a developer environment that is needed to run beta or debug builds. There seems to be a secondary box in each stand with a cable running to the pc.

Hmmm nice, I didn't see those small boxes. All and all though, this doesn't matter. We'll find out sooner or later how smooth the games run compared to their E3 demos. I'd wager that a good amount of us aren't even interested in the box so this is just for the sake of discussing and trying to figure things out. Sleuthing if you will, getting a scoop.

So much for "games were running on a PC w/ comparable specs"

the gpu on the xbone is super weak in comparison to a GTX 780 or even a 680.

You would think they would use a radeon 7870 as that's still much more powerful than the 7790 level gpu in the xbone

Clevinger

Making the game look better than it actually will at launch.

I wonder if that isn't true. Mainly because the video demo they had of Ryse looked really damn good graphically. Like, really impressive. And then someone (MS? Crytek?) released some screenshots of the actual game and it looked much, much worse with really faded out colors and not at all impressive.

I guess we'll find out soon.

Polymath

Neo Member
This probably explains why Microsoft always referred it to "In engine".
This way people couldn't even sue them for this because all they did is run the xbox one games from a PC with either the engine or some sort of emulator....

Always found it weird how MS made these kind of statements where as Sony just clearly said " Running live on playstation 4"

They have to be spec'd to X1 because that demo station is for LocoCycle. Its a X1/360 game.

Unless you're trying to suggest Turn 10 and others built out full one time use pc versions of their games.

charsace

I wonder if that isn't true. Mainly because the video demo they had of Rhyse looked really damn good graphically. And then someone (MS? Crytek?) released some screenshots of the actual game and it looked much, much worse with really faded out colors.

I guess we'll find out soon.
ryse is one of the few games people saw running on an x1.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I have a Titan, looks like I'm set if that's the case. But looking at it closer, the way it looks is not like a Titan. Definitely looks like a GTX 680.

nvidia-gtx-680.jpg

versus.

GTX-TITAN.jpg

That's definitely a GTX 680, and not the GTX 700 series or Titan.

Its a 780, not a 680:

960x-1

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Related?:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/06/i-got-thrown-in-microsoft-jail-for-taking-pictures-of-nothing/

So, after being at the party a while, getting my chance to try the game, chasing down the girl with the fancy hot dog tray and drinking more gin, I began to wonder about what they were running all these demos on, since I didn’t see a single Xbox One. All the wires just led under tables and into cabinets.

So, they were hiding the actual hardware, which I figured was probably some dev Xbox One units or something. And I’m curious. I wondered what these units looked like, so I decided to peek behind one of the cabinets. It was dark, so I took a couple quick photos with my flash so I could see.

What I saw was profoundly underwhelming. Just a laptop and a bunch of wires. I was just about to forget about the pictures entirely and find the guy who walked by with the raw tuna somethings when a massive goon packed into a fancy suit approached me.

“You need to come with me, sir,” he said.

Struct09

Since it appears to be LocoCycle, I'm going to guess they are just Twisted Pixel's dev boxes (not dev kits). This kind of thing isn't uncommon at trade shows.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

TheD

The Detective
I think they are runing virtualized xbone sdk on these pc. thats y they are using high end gfx card because they are emulating games

Virtualization =! emulation!

You would not need such a powerful card to match a the xbone.

The most likely answer is that it is a windows build of the game running.

It's a 670 at worst. It isn't illuminated so i can't see it being anything from the 7xx range (or a 690).

So it's a 670 or 680 - you'd imagine the latter.

Top Bottom