• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is PlayStation Slim sold out on Amazon right now? New bundle incoming or something?

onQ123

I don't think they been selling that fast or that they slowed down production that much for it to be in short supply right now .

I'm thinking it's a die shrink & cheaper to produce model or some new bundle because there is no reason that it should be sold out right now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It isn't ?

90AIIcx.jpeg

Crayon

That's so whack they raised the digital price once you could actually find them. A bunch of people for a minute got a great deal at 399 but the price hike makes it so much less interesting.

They're likely phasing out the Spider-Man 2 bundle.

It's even sold out on PlayStation direct.

My guess is most of Amazon's stock was the bundle.

Yes it is
Shows in stock with an add to cart at amazon. For the digital slim.

Here in San Antonio, TX, United States.

Probably just out of stock in your amazon warehouse wherever you are located. Explains why it may show out of stock for some areas and in stock for others.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
We need a Helldivers 2 bundle soon.
Also, a Rise of the Ronin bundle could be a great fit for Japan, like the Gran Turismo 7 one that was only released there.
wJai0y3.jpeg

Topher

Gold Member
New one's are also available under the more seller options, although they're marked up from the MSRP, Amazon are prioritizing the used models from their own warehouse as the top choice, but I digress.

fcVnglB.jpeg

Yeah....they are marked up because they are not from Amazon. Amazon is sold out. Amazon isn't "prioritizing" used models. Used models are all they have. lol

Last edited:

onQ123

Other retailers including PlayStation Direct have the base models.

As I mentioned, Amazon's stock was probably heavier on the bundle. They'll get more stock of the non-bundle probably in a week or two.
So they are just trying to ease the price back up to $499 after the quarter is over?

onQ123

Shows in stock with an add to cart at amazon. For the digital slim.

Here in San Antonio, TX, United States.

Probably just out of stock in your amazon warehouse wherever you are located. Explains why it may show out of stock for some areas and in stock for others.
Amazon Warehouse is for used & refurbished products

So they are just trying to ease the price back up to $499 after the quarter is over?

The quarter is already over. We're in Q1 '24 now.

They were taking a massive loss with the Spider-Man 2 bundle. Now that the fiscal year is over they can largely squash that. A weak Q1 now actually helps them in 2025. Once the Spider-Man 2 bundle is officially sold out, they'll be back to 499. On PlayStation Direct, it's actually cheaper to buy a PS5 w/disc drive with Spider-Man than without Spider-Man.

They'll have the PS5 Pro and potentially a discounted PS5 Standard, but from now until the release of the PS5, they're no longer in a rush to sell a lot of units. The PS5 Pro will help them with YoY numbers.

onQ123

The quarter is already over. We're in Q1 '24 now.

They were taking a massive loss with the Spider-Man 2 bundle. Now that the fiscal year is over they can largely squash that. A weak Q1 now actually helps them in 2025. Once the Spider-Man 2 bundle is officially sold out, they'll be back to 499. On PlayStation Direct, it's actually cheaper to buy a PS5 w/disc drive with Spider-Man than without Spider-Man.

They'll have the PS5 Pro and potentially a discounted PS5 Standard, but from now until the release of the PS5, they're no longer in a rush to sell a lot of units. The PS5 Pro will help them with YoY numbers.
Basically they don't want to sell many consoles until they can get a die shrink/ manufacturing cost reduction which will most likely happen along side PS5 Pro so they're just gonna wing it for the next quarter or so?

Last edited:
Basically they don't want to sell many consoles until they can get a die shrink/ manufacturing cost reduction which will most likely happen along side PS5 Pro so they're just gonna wing it for the next quarter or so?

I doubt we'll see any additional die shrinkage, especially since I don't think we'll see the form factor change if they want to have a universal model for the disc attachment.

I wonder if Sony would ever consider selling a cheaper PS5 without a Dual Sense controller as any easier entrant for families who might end up with multiple PS5s and already have multiple controllers.

My guess is the Dual Sense is so high margin anyways that it wouldn't really make a difference for them in terms of production costs.

I wonder if Sony would ever consider selling a cheaper PS5 without a Dual Sense controller as any easier entrant for families who might end up with multiple PS5s and already have multiple controllers.

My guess is the Dual Sense is so high margin anyways that it wouldn't really make a difference for them in terms of production costs.
We would end up with alot of angry kids who can't play on Christmas because their mom didn't know the system doesn't come with a controller.

Probably cause too much confusion.

Like with the people thinking the Wii u was a wii add on.

We would end up with alot of angry kids who can't play on Christmas because their mom didn't know the system doesn't come with a controller.

Probably cause too much confusion.

Like with the people thinking the Wii u was a wii add on.

I mean the bigger problem is probably the margin on the controller. I think they could handle the marketing easily enough.

They sell the controllers for 70 dollars, but they go on discount to as low as like 50. So the controller is probably only really costing them 35-45 dollars to make, maybe even less. So excluding it from the console probably doesn't help them much and it is a pretty niche group who would want that anyways.

I mean the bigger problem is probably the margin on the controller. I think they could handle the marketing easily enough.

They sell the controllers for 70 dollars, but they go on discount to as low as like 50. So the controller is probably only really costing them 35-45 dollars to make, maybe even less. So excluding it from the console probably doesn't help them much and it is a pretty niche group who would want that anyways.
The profit margins are greater than you think. For example according to this article a ps4 controller costs $18 to make.

Those controllers were going for $60 new back in the day. So Sony was banking $42 on every controller sold.

The profit margins are greater than you think. For example according to this article a ps4 controller costs $18 to make.

Those controllers were going for $60 new back in the day. So Sony was banking $42 on every controller sold.

Presumably the Dual Sense would cost more to make than the Dual Shock 4.

Top Bottom