• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Suikoden II still not on PSN?

ctrayne

Metalic said:
Konami doesn't care anymore.
To be honest, Konami of America never has. They have treated the Suikoden series like garbage. Remember the terrible Suikoden I box art? KoA has always had truly shitty graphic design, including Suikoden V and even the Metal Gear series, but Suiko I takes the cake.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The better question is: Why isn't Einhander, a title that's been on the Japan PSN store for FOUR YEARS NOW, still not on the US store? Does Square-Enix hate money?

Vamphuntr

The translation of some the skills, characters names and spells in the game are different from the one in the manual too.

Gravijah

Dark Schala said:
b10AF.gif

Just kidding. We're still buds. :D

you can't just slice someone up and say you're joking. ;(

Eusis

ctrayne said:
To be honest, Konami of America never has. They have treated the Suikoden series like garbage. Remember the terrible Suikoden I box art? KoA has always had truly shitty graphic design, including Suikoden V and even the Metal Gear series, but Suiko I takes the cake.
Except that came out at the tail end of the period where "americanizing" covers was still the thing to do, and I doubt they collectively don't care or anything. At worse it's probably some of the execs not caring for a nice, polished release, and even then that hasn't been an issue past the second game.

TheSeks said:
The better question is: Why isn't Einhander, a title that's been on the Japan PSN store for FOUR YEARS NOW, still not on the US store? Does Square-Enix hate money?
In this case though, yeah, I think they're just assholes. Note how seemingly only their most popular games (and, uhh, Threads of Fate) managed to surface there, there's no SaGa Frontier, Bushido Blade, or Tobal either.

TheSeks said:
They noticed how the vastly superior R-Type Delta was already on the service, and out of fear of having their boring sacred cow of a shooting game torn apart they decided against it.

Dark Schala said:
3) There was also a third audio glitch, when Annalee was supposed to sing to you, but in the NA version, you got quite a few minutes of silence. She was supposed to sing Orizzonte to you.

4) The final duel battle at the VERY end of the game before the credits was not supposed to be silent. It was supposed to have this theme attached to it.

5) Finally, La passione commouve la storia got the axe in the NA version. The PAL version has it.

Annalee's song and "Passione commouve la storia" always bummed me out. I never knew about the chant for the final duel. I think I actually prefer silence for that scene. Major story spoilers:
Not that the chant is bad, but it resonates with the mythological significance of the fight when the focus ought to be on what the duel means for Riou and Jowy personally

Syril

ctrayne said:

What are you talking about? Every other game in the series aside from Tactics and Tierkreis has used the original Japanese cover art.

B.K.

Syril said:
What are you talking about? Every other game in the series aside from Tactics and Tierkreis has used the original Japanese cover art.

Japanese boxart:
I4d6K.jpg

American boxart:
CJnZc.jpg

ctrayne

Syril said:
Not talking about the artwork, but the actual graphic design. Typefaces, color usage, spacing/margins, quality of the written text, microscopic screenshots on the spine, cheap black and white manuals, etc. They are really, really bad about it. Very cheesy stuff. Someone there doesn't understand basic principles of design.

"Tragedy and Destiny Intertwine Surrounding the Legendary Sun Rune!" doesn't have the same ring to it as "I'll take back what's mine" (the JP slogan of Suikoden V if I recall).

Also, the official strategy guide for SV has a really messed up description for Oboro. Look it up, it looks like lyrics to a song or something. They let stuff like that slide all the time.

Edit: to be fair, until recently, and even now sometimes, graphic design on game boxes leaned towards ugly. But some of KoA's stuff is really bad. The back of MGS1's box was the polar opposite of it's minimalistic front.

ctrayne said:
Believe me, Box arts are the least of their problems.

ctrayne

Metalic said:
Believe me, Box arts are the least of their problems.
I agree, but if you can't even put a good face on for the world to see, then the inside is probably rotten, too. That's my point. :) If it looks cheap on the shelf, people won't even look at it. Same rules apply for DVDs, food, headphones, etc. I felt like KoA never took pride in Suikoden.

ctrayne said:
I agree, but if you can't even put a good face on for the world to see, then the inside is probably rotten, too. That's my point. :) If it looks cheap on the shelf, people won't even look at it. Same rules apply for DVDs, food, headphones, etc. I felt like KoA never took pride in Suikoden.
Which is kind of odd, since Box arts help market the game, shitty box arts can scare people away.

DiscoJer

_dementia said:
Maybe the sales for Suikoden were so low, they don't think it'll be worth the effort to get the sequel up there.

I suspect this is the reason. At least, combined with the sales expectation that a larger (or medium) sized company has. "If it's not going to sell 100,000 copies, why bother?"

Because they have to save something for the Vita's PSN debut....

B.K. said:
American boxart:
CJnZc.jpg

You know, I actually forgot how horrible this box was. It actually deterred me from playing it before I found out more about the game.

Yanksfan

TheBanditKing said:
You know, I actually forgot how horrible this box was. It actually deterred me from playing it before I found out more about the game.

Sadly enough, it scared me away too. This was before message boards, hype machines, and really even gaming mags for me. I eventually rented it because I played every RPG back in those days (even Beyond the Beyond!) and I never looked back afterwards.

Of course, outside of a little time spent on GAF and CAG, I am without all those things again.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yanksfan said:
Sadly enough, it scared me away too. This was before message boards, hype machines, and really even gaming mags for me. I eventually rented it because I played every RPG back in those days (even Beyond the Beyond!) and I never looked back afterwards.
I blew the allowance I had been saving up for a game before summer vacation for Beyond the Beyond when I was younger because I liked the boxart.

I beat it twice even though I didn't like it. -_-

My dad bought Suikoden I for me because he thought it was going to be like DragonLance based on the cover (which my cousins got me into at the time), lol. I ended up asking him to buy Suikoden II for me when he took me to the store to buy a game because in addition to liking the first one, I really liked the cover art. :3

vireland

TheSeks said:

Square Enix hates pennies. In their mind, that business is pennies. I know this because we approached them to get the license for PSN for the Taito games we did (Taito is part of the borg now) at WD. Weren't interested. In the least. Even though they would have to do nothing but collect a quarterly check. It's a business they don't seem to care about. (Shrug)

never played II, and thus same reason why I want it on PSN.

The PSN release of Suikoden I was the first time I played it and I enjoyed it even with me not playing much RPGs nowadays... been dying to play II ever since beating I and how much people say II is great.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Cruzader said:
Wow, spoiler!!!!!

Now I can never play this game, thanx.
You see it in the first 30-60 minutes out of a possible 30-40 hours depending on your pacing?

If you were being serious, I'm so sorry. :( I can't tell if people are being serious with all these plot spoilers lately.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just finished the game recently again so no need to wait for the PSN version.

I HATE U KONAMIIIIIII :(

bh7812

Banned
This is one of the very few, rare cases where the fact there is not a PSN release yet both makes me mad and dumbfounded at the same time. I bought Suikoden 1 as soon as it went up and evidently so did a lot of other people.

I've been fortunate enough to get to play the first several hours of the 2nd game and I can honestly say this is one of the very rare once in a blue moon cases where the enormous hype surrounding it is justified. It's a great game with a story that for some reason pulls you in right away. From a narrative standpoint 2 is a gigantic step forward from the first game.

I'd read last year in a few places both Sony and Konami were extremely happy with how well 1 sold digitally, and that Konami was only too happy to put the 2nd game up but that the ball is in Sony's court now so it's up to them when and if it happens.

The insane asking prices for the game on Ebay sicken me, this is one of the few must experience games that everyone deserves to play and these fools want upwards of 200 dollars for a copy in good condition. Just put it up already Sony, 10 bucks is a much more fair price that will finally allow people to experience this game.

I cannot deny they are doing a much much better job with PS1 games on PSN. A lot of games that should have been there a long time ago have finally gone up but there's still a ways to go, since at least several more big ones have yet to show up on there. I think the Import section is a great idea and I do keep hoping some RPGs will end up there but I'm thinking they are going to stick to games that require little or no reading in order to play.

ctrayne

vireland said:
Square Enix hates pennies. In their mind, that business is pennies. I know this because we approached them to get the license for PSN for the Taito games we did (Taito is part of the borg now) at WD. Weren't interested. In the least. Even though they would have to do nothing but collect a quarterly check. It's a business they don't seem to care about. (Shrug)
Small potatoes to them, I guess? Their loss (and everyone else too). Thanks for the info.

I would rather someone patch the PSP game.

It looks so much better and has diagonals and 16:9.

:(

It baffles me that no-one has decided to take on patching this version of the game.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
4) The final duel battle at the VERY end of the game before the credits was not supposed to be silent. It was supposed to have this theme attached to it.
I would argue that one was actually an improvement.

The other audio glitches I just assumed were due to me playing the game on a PSP.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Drkirby said:
I would argue that one was actually an improvement.

The other audio glitches I just assumed were due to me playing the game on a PSP.
I agree. The scenario is more poignant due to the silence.

The other audio glitches are a bit of a shame, though.

Dark Schala said:
I agree. The scenario is more poignant due to the silence.

The other audio glitches are a bit of a shame, though.
When Annallee started singing Orizzonte at HQ my third time through the game, I was shocked. It's really too bad that they didn't catch that in the quality control, (which must of been pretty light, unfortunately) it would of made her recruitment so much more interesting.

I'm pretty sure there are fans to this day that don't know you can actually hear her sing.

aett

Gunloc said:
When Annallee started singing Orizzonte at HQ my third time through the game, I was shocked. It's really too bad that they didn't catch that in the quality control, (which must of been pretty light, unfortunately) it would of made her recruitment so much more interesting.

I'm pretty sure there are fans to this day that don't know you can actually hear her sing.

I'm pretty sure that Annalee doesn't sing Orizzonte at the HQ -- she sings Due Fiumi. I remember stumbling upon that one completely by accident and being totally shocked by the inclusion of an actual song in the game, in a totally optional situation. It's so weird that her recruitment song didn't make it, but this one did.

Gunloc said:
A retranslation with all the glitches fixed would cause me to reach nirvana. I would legitimately ascend to a higher plane of existence.

But even a release of the original version would make me happy. I need more real Suikoden, and I need it now.

Nooooooo! I LOVED the Matilda glitch! If you could survive that first fight, everything was golden. (level up +100!) (^_^)

That said, I would totally work on this. ;_; I'm still under the charm of playing it 15 years ago, but if they required a re-trans I would love to work on it (personally speaking).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gunloc said:

I remember recruiting her on my first playthrough, with the options being "I'd like to hear you sing some more" or "it's not much, but please take it", and not knowing what I had to say since I didn't hear a song being sung. I thought there was something wrong with my game back then.

Imagine my further surprise when I passed by the stage and she sang Due Fiumi, which ended up being one of my favourite vocal songs on the soundtrack.

H.Protagonist said:
Nooooooo! I LOVED the Matilda glitch! If you could survive that first fight, everything was golden. (level up +100!) (^_^)
I use the Matilda glitch every time I play through it now, lol.

Dark Schala said:
I remember recruiting her on my first playthrough, with the options being "I'd like to hear you sing some more" or "it's not much, but please take it", and not knowing what I had to say since I didn't hear a song being sung. I thought there was something wrong with my game back then.

Imagine my further surprise when I passed by the stage and she sang Due Fiumi, which ended up being one of my favourite vocal songs on the soundtrack.

I use the Matilda glitch every time I play through it now, lol.

Maybe it was just my kid brain, but all the omissions felt really poignant at the time. I 'imagined' her singing in that initial audio glitch, and it elevated the moment somehow. Yeah there were a lot of issues about the game, but they kind of made it for me when I was a kid.

As for the Matilda glitch... SCORE. I found it out by accident and the thrill/terror of trying to survive that first fight is still fresh in my memories even now.

It would be lovely to play again... I listen to the Greenhill song while I'm working pretty often these days. Greenhill Theme

Teknoman

vireland said:

Ugh damn Square...they need to go ahead and bring Saga Frontier 1,2, and Einhander to the store.

They make strange business decisions either way.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
This thread almost makes me want to sell my copy of Suikoden 2 right now, before the OP becomes a reality.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
vireland said:

While this normally would make sense given SE's odd history with digital releases of their back catalog didn't they just put up Chrono Trigger and Cross and are going to put up FF5 and 6 on the North American PSN?

zoku88

Dark Schala said:
What's more, there were several audio glitches in the North American translation. Ever wonder why some of the full-scale war battles didn't even have any music at all? They were supposed to!
I seriously always wondered about that...

vireland

Man God said:
While this normally would make sense given SE's odd history with digital releases of their back catalog didn't they just put up Chrono Trigger and Cross and are going to put up FF5 and 6 on the North American PSN?

Maybe they really are attempting a boots-up makeover and looking at all the pennies they pooh-poohed in the past? Haven't talked to them about licensing for a year or so, but my impression is that, these releases aside, they haven't really changed their attitude much.

vireland

PumpkinPie said:
OP, go and check out the EU store, then come back and see me. We've got like five fucking RPGs on there :mad:

It will be double that by Early 2012 (Arc I, Arc II, Arc III, Alundra, Vanguard Bandits). You're welcome. :)

Top Bottom