• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is there no Battle Royale game on consoles?

Orayn

Have any of the recently popular PC genres gained a foothold on console? Survival games, strategy, MOBA, MMOs, now Battle Royale... Other than a couple of isolated cases like ARK there haven't been any noteworthy success stories. Am I wrong about this?

Smite, World of Tanks, Paragon, Warframe, and Warthunder are some PC centric games that seem to be doing reasonably well on console.

No one gave a crap about this genre until PUBG which just came out. Don't worry it will happen soon enough

They did (where do you think PlayerUnknown is from?) it was just the mods were awkward to consistently join and the inclusion of the Armalite controls and setting have set this one apart.

Corpekata

Banned
No one gave a crap about this genre until PUBG which just came out. Don't worry it will happen soon enough

The genre had multimillion sale games before that. H1Z1 had about the same players as PUBG did in the past 2 weeks and that's with no longer being the flavor of the month title.

Seiniyta

Next Zelda game should use a (part?) of Hyrule as a battle royale game where you play as Bokolins and other monsters and have to use the game's mechanics to beat each other.

Ha. you're crazy. It's been one of the most popular game modes on Arma for years. Then H1Z1 copied/streamlined that success. And the guy who popularized that mode finally made his own title.

cover_large.jpg

For real though, I can't wait for PUBG on PS4.

Hux1ey

Banned
Would the jaguar CPU's be able to handle PUBG types of huge maps with 100 players? BF1 struggles enough and that's with 64 players and much smaller maps.

Kinyou

but isnt the size of the map and the playercount and the shrinking mapsize in time the best feature?
It definitely wouldn't be as great as a game that solely focused on the mode but sine there's no alternative on consoles right now it might still be popular.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It seems to be impossible to craft one that isn't 50% jank.

Not sure any of the standlones have even made it out of Early Access on Steam. The Culling? Early Access. H1Z1:KOTK? Early Access. PUBG? Early Access(understandable in this instance). Get one polished enough to make it out of Early Access and then think of a console version.

Project Knoxville:

A third person action survival game where cooperation with friends is essential for your survival. Set as a sadistic game show where it is possible for all of the players to survive only if they resist the temptation of greed and personal glory. This game is designed to be as exciting to watch as it is to play and a unique take on the spectators role is given. The idea is that the viewer will be able to influence the game as much as the people playing it.

The game Press Play were making before MS shut the studio down :(

It seems to be impossible to craft one that isn't 50% jank.

Not sure any of the standlones have even made it out of Early Access on Steam. The Culling? Early Access. H1Z1:KOTK? Early Access. PUBG? Early Access(understandable in this instance). Get one polished enough to make it out of Early Access and then think of a console version.

Going to be honest, PUBG is pretty damn polished. More than a lot of games on PS4. The issue is they are constantly adding stuff as a good developer does, and Sony for whatever reason makes updates unreasonably difficult for developers and costly.

Rembrandt

Banned
The team that made Max and the Curse of Brotherhood was working on one for XB1 before press play closed.

I would be down for one with less jank.
But just like all of the crafting open world EA games, there's always a new one that pops up.

EloKa

Now as to why a AAA dev doesn't do this? Who the fuck knows. Maybe because they are unsure if there is an audience on consoles for this.
I guess that this is the main reasoning. The console and pc audience are right now more different than they have ever been and I don't see any "real" BattleRoyale game coming to consoles soon.

Also for PUBG they would need to completly re-do the contol scheme and I doubt that the current controlling is possible with any controller. They would basically need to change it to CoD / BF and by that remove most of ist core gameplay.

are you aware that the genre exists since few years and already had a huge fan base?

I don't think anyone has nailed the formula yet. When someone does, it will be huge.

I dunno, I have enjoyed my time with PUBG so far, but every single part of it seems at least slightly janky.

i've only really had one really janky moment where i could only move one direction, no matter how much i moved the camera

I really wish Playerunknown's Battlegrounds was a working title and they would change it to something else when the Early Access period is over. Having the creator's internet nickname on a game's title is just incredibly cringeworthy.

Either way, I'd buy a PS4 version of this pretty quickly, because I hear people complain about cheaters on PC a lot. Current gen consoles are still not hacked for CFW and hopefully it will still take a while, so there are no cheats yet.

Sid Meier disagrees with you.

Oh... the internet name... nevermind.

Pooya

I think survival and battle royale are the next big thing. So far all the attempts were either zombie focused, just bad games or good ideas but execution is very poor and janky. Even then you can see how much interest is in this genre on twitch and similar. I think a company like Blizzard or Valve could come in with a super polished and accessible game and just steal a huge audience. So far it feels major players are sleeping on this and indie developers just don't have the capacity to do it well, there is some initial interest for their games but they fail to develop it and it just goes away with games like DayZ and similar when people get tired of waiting. PUBG is very good but it's very janky. Even then you can see the endless potential it has.

sugarless

There were quite a few Hunger Games arena stages in the custom player battle stages section of Far Cry 4. Within the limits of what can be achieved with that tool, they were really fun and made me wish for something like that on a larger scale. PUBG is my wish come true but I don't have a PC so I'm stuck watching streams and waiting for more details on the PS4 release.

Mechazawa

Because you might get an ARK monkeypaw style situation, especially given how PUBG runs at the moment on good PC hardware.

Lifeline

Ark is on consoles.

But yeah i've been waiting forever for a good one so I can play with my friends on the PS4, I gave up earlier this year and bought PUBG on PC.

C.Mongler

Well someone would probably have to actually finish their early access battle royale game for it to get a console release for starters...

I really wish Playerunknown's Battlegrounds was a working title and they would change it to something else when the Early Access period is over. Having the creator's internet nickname on a game's title is just incredibly cringeworthy.

Either way, I'd buy a PS4 version of this pretty quickly, because I hear people complain about cheaters on PC a lot. Current gen consoles are still not hacked for CFW and hopefully it will still take a while, so there are no cheats yet.
Ubisoft has no problem putting Tom Clancy on everything, even titles that have nothing to do with him. So I don't see a problem.

And what cheaters? I have yet to encounter a single cheater in PUBG.

Top Bottom