• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Xbox One doing so badly in Europe?

genjiZERO

Question: Are most of the serious FIFA 15 players on XBONE? I ask because in all off the YouTube tutorial vidoes that's what they are using so it seems like it.

But I would argue that last gen X360 was not specifically a lesser option. It was a different console and different ecosystem but not the lesser option. Yet it was not able to crack that market. I am wondering if it is a marketing issue or is it an issue of services?

See this is what I dont get. Content wise nothing about Xbox one is inherently more American than Playstation. Both get all the shooters ( if that is what is considered more popular in the states) or atleast most of them. The fact that this myth is still carrying on implies that it is a marketing issue and not a content issue.

It certainly wasn't aimed at the UK market with all the NFL ties and the fact that the snap of the TV screen didn't work well due to different refresh rates over here.

redcrayon

Point noted and respected - maybe my OP wasn't worded correctly - im basing my opinion on my experiences, that so many people I speak to/see discussing on FB etc dont appear to be able to do this!

I think that the average age of console gamer in the UK is 30-something, and has been playing games for a while. It's probably best to avoid assigning sweeping motives to them for buying one console or another when they probably have a pretty decent idea of what they want.

Percy

Banned
I think the main factor is the 'console war' attitude that many gamers seem to have (particularly here in the UK, where social levels and IQ's are dropping rapidly) means that the vast majority buy the 'most powerful' console - i.e PS4.

This is actually a pretty embarassing thing to type in all honesty.

I think people are far too caught up in the whole resolution/framerate affairs, negating the fact they should buy a console based on the games and features that appeal to them.

How do you know they don't do this?

At the end of the day, in my opinion, there is very little difference between the 2 for general gaming (which I consider an hour or so a night at most), so the 2/3 exclusive titles on either side could be the deciding factor for some -

I'd have thought the PS4 having a dramatically larger game library available overall would count for a lot more than "2-3 games". I can recall reading on here last week that there's currently something like a hundred games on the PS4 store that aren't available on Xbox One.

as I said, it was pretty much Forza that swayed it for as ive been a fan of the series since the start. (not to mention looks, UI, controller, manufacturer loyaltyetc)

Naturally. It's the number one reason people buy Xbox Ones according to Nielsen.

In fairness a lot of my fellow Brits really are fucking morons.

Of course I'd say that's a massive factor in why the XO is doing much better here than in the rest of the world, despite all it's American centric features not working any better here than on the mainland, but still, he isn't wrong about that how many of us are really dumb fuckers.

Such as?

angrygnat

This post is going to be loaded with my own assumptions. I am going to make generalizations about Europeans, and I am going to be talking completely from my ass. I know very few Europeans, and have no basis for my opinions. The PS4 is beating the X1 in European markets simply because:
#1 The unveiling. At the unveiling of the X1 we were treated to lots and lots of TV. American TV. Guy instantly switching back and forth between Fantasy Football, and the Price is Right. I can't imagine Europeans being impressed with this.
#2 The NFL tie ins. Europeans love Football. Too bad that doesn't include American Football. Another miss.
#3 Price. Europeans don't like to pay more for something when they can get something else a good bit cheaper.
#4 Power. This one is debatable, but at the time of the X1 and PS4 release, the PS4 was rumored to be much more powerful. Europeans love shit that's more powerful than other shit.
#5 Perceptions. Hearts and minds. For the longest time Europeans saw the X1 as the bad guy. MS was the big bad corporation. Sony just wanted to make games and bring them happiness. The way Sony positioned themselves with regards to DRM went a long way convincing Europeans that MS was the devil.
#6 Size. The X1 is just huge. I go to IKEA and I see brilliantly designed, space saving products, at a fair price. Europeans don't have room for that behemoth in their tiny living rooms.
#7 Avaliability. A huge chunk of Europe couldn't get their hands on an X1 because it only launched in 13 countries. Many European countries were excluded. Sure. They could hop on their Vespa and ride 150 miles to the nearest country that did have X1s but why do that when you can get a cheaper, more powerful, and available PS4 right down the street!
#8 Design. Europeans love innovative, unique design. The PS4 and it's slick Parallelepiped shape, is worlds better than the power brick and block design of the X1.
#9 Install Base. I could be wrong but I think the PS3 was already the leader in Europe. It just makes sense that if someone was happy with a product, they would stick with it. It's the same with the 360 in America.
#10 RROD. Before the X1 was released, we had to take MS word that the RROD problems that dogged the first 360s would not happen this gen. Europeans have long memories, and it's not inconceivable that they would cast a skeptical eye on the first batches of X1s.

martynzs

Neo Member
I think that the average age of console gamer in the UK is 30-something, and has been playing games for a while. It's probably best to avoid assigning sweeping motives to them for buying one console or another when they probably have a pretty decent idea of what they want.

Again, noted - my OP should have stated I was referring mainly to people I know/know of. I almost fit into that bracket myself...

This is actually a pretty embarassing thing to type in all honesty.

How do you know they don't do this?

I'd have thought the PS4 having a dramatically larger game library available overall would count for a lot more than "2-3 games". I can recall reading on here last week that there's currently something like a hundred games on the PS4 store that aren't available on Xbox One.

Read above.

And the 2-3 was merely saying there could be as little as a few exclusives either side to sway a decision. (1 in my case!)

zackiel

Neo Member
This post is going to be loaded with my own assumptions. I am going to make generalizations about Europeans, and I am going to be talking completely from my ass. I know very few Europeans, and have no basis for my opinions. The PS4 is beating the X1 in European markets simply because:
#1 The unveiling. At the unveiling of the X1 we were treated to lots and lots of TV. American TV. Guy instantly switching back and forth between Fantasy Football, and the Price is Right. I can't imagine Europeans being impressed with this.
#2 The NFL tie ins. Europeans love Football. Too bad that doesn't include American Football. Another miss.
#3 Price. Europeans don't like to pay more for something when they can get something else a good bit cheaper.
#4 Power. This one is debatable, but at the time of the X1 and PS4 release, the PS4 was rumored to be much more powerful. Europeans love shit that's more powerful than other shit.
#5 Perceptions. Hearts and minds. For the longest time Europeans saw the X1 as the bad guy. MS was the big bad corporation. Sony just wanted to make games and bring them happiness. The way Sony positioned themselves with regards to DRM went a long way convincing Europeans that MS was the devil.
#6 Size. The X1 is just huge. I go to IKEA and I see brilliantly designed, space saving products, at a fair price. Europeans don't have room for that behemoth in their tiny living rooms.
#7 Avaliability. A huge chunk of Europe couldn't get their hands on an X1 because it only launched in 13 countries. Many European countries were excluded. Sure. They could hop on their Vespa and ride 150 miles to the nearest country that did have X1s but why do that when you can get a cheaper, more powerful, and available PS4 right down the street!
#8 Design. Europeans love innovative, unique design. The PS4 and it's slick Parallelepiped shape, is worlds better than the power brick and block design of the X1.
#9 Install Base. I could be wrong but I think the PS3 was already the leader in Europe. It just makes sense that if someone was happy with a product, they would stick with it. It's the same with the 360 in America.
#10 RROD. Before the X1 was released, we had to take MS word that the RROD problems that dogged the first 360s would not happen this gen. Europeans have long memories, and it's not inconceivable that they would cast a skeptical eye on the first batches of X1s.

As an European, most of your assumptions are wrong.
You seem to see us Europeans as a different species, almost. Sure, culture is a bit different, but that doesn't mean "europeans don't like to pay more for something", or that "europeans don't have a lot of space in their homes".

Why would anybody care about the size of a gaming device, especially if it's able to replace a set-top box.

warlock7

Neo Member
The XBone is marketed for US consumers in the US... Simple. Everywhere else where price isn't the only driving force behind a products momentum there is no alternative. While in the US, if it's cheaper, it's better...

Lamptramp

As an European, most of your assumptions are wrong.
You seem to see us Europeans as a different species....

You mean you aren't? Where is your claw for dispensing justice from your castle onto unruly peasants :) *not one of us!!*

Just my little "waiting for cities skyline to unlock" joke to keep the mood light :)

Why would anybody care about the size of a gaming device, especially if it's able to replace a set-top box.

On that point though Its not like the XBone actually replaces anything does it, you still need your Sky/Virgin/Cable box. It does take up a lot of space especially with that bloody camera* & power brick. Its certainly a hard sell to anyone who has limited space (not that limited space is the sole regard of Europeans).

*Bloody Camera™ currently on Ebay :p

Off the top of my head, Kinect not working properly with a lot of regional accents, lack of support for Welsh/Gaelic, HDMI pass through is useless for most people as the overwhelming majority use their TV's built in Freeview, and even if you do have Cable or Satellite the 50hz/60hz incompatibility causes stuttering, the Gridiron bollocks which no one outside the US really gives a shite about, and general media functionality and app support being worse at launch than the PS4 (which it may still be. Do they have BBC iPlayer yet?).

Off the top of my head, Kinect not working properly with a lot of regional accents, lack of support for Welsh/Gaelic, HDMI pass through is useless for most people as the overwhelming majority use their TV's built in Freeview, and even if you do have Cable or Satellite the 50hz/60hz incompatibility causes stuttering, the Gridiron bollocks which no one outside the US really gives a shite about, and general media functionality and app support being worse at launch than the PS4 (which it may still be. Do they have BBC iPlayer yet?).

Even some Americans complain about Kinect, not a European-only problem.

The TV Tuner is out now in several European countries.

The 50hz issue was addressed a while back in the March 2014 update.

European NFL fans are thin on the ground, but I know quite a few here in the UK and the games at Wembley sell-out each time, so it has its fans. Regardless, the feature works here and apps that don't tend to be a reflection of the service. Pandora for example, is a service that you can't use unless based in the States.

BBC iPlayer came out in December.

Aroll

Why should people go for the lesser option? It's really that straight forward.

The X360 did Well in Europe because it earned that success but the XB1 is a screw up.

That's the odd thing to me. The 360 was a less option as well, technically speaking. The difference was that teh PS3 was harder to develop for, giving the 360 a slight edge for a bit I guess?

I think it's much simpler - the Xbox One was clearly designed for United States tastes. TV stuff? That's fine in the US, not really relevant as much in Europe. The games they make are even aimed at the US market. The marketing is aimed there. PS4 has this sort of "universal" appeal - while the Xbox One really catered to the US, and not anywhere else.

European NFL fans are thin on the ground, but I know quite a few here in the UK and the games at Wembley sell-out each time, so it has its fans. Regardless, the feature works here and apps that don't tend to be a reflection of the service. Pandora for example, is a service that you can't use unless based in the States.

So voice recognition is still shite, Gridiron is still only enjoyed by a few weirdos who should be fucking ashamed of themselves, a TV tuner gives added functionality but is also an additional cost and extra external component, but at least the stuttering is fixed and it's no better or worse than the PS4 with streaming apps?

Why it's like it was custom made for the British!

Occam

Something else that isn't just cheaper but also better.
#4 Power. This one is debatable, but at the time of the X1 and PS4 release, the PS4 was rumored to be much more powerful.
It's not debatable. PS4 is more powerful.

#5 Perceptions. Hearts and minds. For the longest time Europeans saw the X1 as the bad guy. MS was the big bad corporation.
Why use past tense? Microsoft hasn't changed the way it conducts business, treats the privacy of its customers or how it cooperates with the NSA.

Actually, even in those lowly Vespa-riding tier 2 countries Xbone was readily available soon after its tier 1 launch, as retail chains shipped their surplus inventory around (because tier 1 consumers weren't all that interested in Xbone, either).

talking completely from my ass.
Fair enough.

I have honestly no idea. But why should it be doing good?
The last time i saw someone caring about it was with all the DRM stuff going on.
There is this colorful Jet set radio game and forza... that´s all i know about the one. And that it is huge, looks like a vcr from 1985 and it´s expensive.

The PS4 has at least some media hype pushing it.

So voice recognition is still shite, Gridiron is still only enjoyed by a few weirdos who should be fucking ashamed of themselves, a TV tuner gives added functionality but is also an additional cost and extra external component, but at least the stuttering is fixed and it's no better or worse than the PS4 with streaming apps?

Why it's like it was custom made for the British!

Kinect works for some people, doesn't for others from what I've seen, not something you can label shite unless you've done the research and have the true numbers. Works for me and my wife, so I'm happy.

As for your Gridiron comment...the only weirdo who should be ashamed, is your ignorant self for making such an immature comment in the first place.

redcrayon

It has to be said that any ideas about reasons for European gamers as a whole to do anything are going to be guesses at best.

There are similarities between the nations that sit closer to each other but it's a broad continent with a shitload of cultural differences and trends. While there are some ways that both France and the UK are different to the US in terms of marketing, in others the UK is closer to the US due to shared language. Not to mention Nintendo's enduring popularity in France, and the PC scene in Germany. And that's only the ones I'm familiar with, there's a couple of dozen other nations I know piss-all about the tech market in and I'm a European, let alone a US-based marketing team that thinks Europeans are similar in the same way that East-coast and West-coast Americans are. They just aren't, success in Europe revolves around either highly localised or very neutral marketing, the only thing they might agree on is that MS's in-your-face, cheeseburgers-and-doritos US approach is a bit crass.

We could talk about western Europe all day long and barely scratch the surface of how fractured it is as a market, let alone the countries that don't get as much coverage. In all honesty, if MS was serious about Europe, they should have gone for a more neutral reveal, or invested in a European launch that detailed exactly how the telecoms side of it would work in each area. But they wanted to launch in the UK quickly as their only real stronghold outside of NA, so they thought they'd just rush it and leave 'tier 2' wondering how it would all work.

Kinect works for some people, doesn't for others from what I've seen, not something you can label shite unless you've done the research and have the true numbers. Works for me and my wife, so I'm happy.

As for your Gridiron comment...the only weirdo who should be ashamed, is your ignorant self for making such an immature comment in the first place.

A few of my friends have strong Welsh, Scottish or Northern accents, and, having tried the XO's Kinect at a a party last year, must have had at best a 10% success rate. For a feature the entire system was built around, anything less than perfect for everyone in the regions it's releasing in is a failure on a conceptual level.

Either way, the system is clearly not designed for Britain anymore than it is the mainland. The XO is an American product through and through, and no amount of software patching or add on releases is going to change that fundamental flaw.

And my taking the piss out of gridiron fans is mostly for comedic effect. Saying that, it's still a dumbed down, slower version of rugby where the plays are such wimps they have to wear padding, and I'm never not going to hold either the game or it's fans in a small amount of contempt. Still, at least it's not golf!

The system's performance and game library aren't mutually exclusive, they both matter when a purchase decision is being made, like Nielsen's survey showed.

It's actually quite interesting to see that most of the PS4's selling points are directly related to gaming and for Xbone they're more or less jargon created by Microsoft PR. :)

A few of my friends have strong Welsh, Scottish or Northern accents, and, having tried the XO's Kinect at a a party last year, must have had at best a 10% success rate. For a feature the entire system was built around, anything less than perfect for everyone in the regions it's releasing in is a failure on a conceptual level.

Either way, the system is clearly not designed for Britain anymore than it is the mainland. The XO is an American product through and through, and no amount of software patching or add on releases is going to change that fundamental flaw.

And my taking the piss out of gridiron fans is mostly for comedic effect. Saying that, it's still a dumbed down, slower version of rugby where the plays are such wimps they have to wear padding, and I'm never not going to hold either the game or it's fans in a small amount of contempt. Still, at least it's not golf!

Fair do's for your first comment. I'm a Londoner, but my wife has a strong Spanish accent and it works for her. Maybe the party you were at wasn't ideal for it, or it needed calibration.

Have to disagree that it's an American product through and through, as the software that runs on it is definitely worldwide. The games come from all over, apps such as Khan's Academy (Indian) and Al Jazeera (Qatar-based and highly recommended by myself) aren't US centric.

I'm not the biggest NFL fan, but it's more tactical than Rugby. The pads Vs no-pads argument is up for debate, but wimps is not a label I'd throw at those guys on the field, reading about the injuries they suffer.

FartOfWar

Banned
Average European is a smarter consumer than average American. Edit: For clarification I'm not saying Americans are daft, just that they live in a much larger consumption society.

General consensus is that PS4 is the better machine.

Get the fuck out with this eurocentrism.

W.S.

I wouldn't say strategic at all MS is just being careful they don't even feel Japan is a market to put too much into. Strategic would mean taking a risk such as Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, critically acclaimed MS exclusives. Those are risks that had great reward.

Crimson Dragon: Horrble Panzer Subsitute.
D4: Excellent game now getting the exposure it deserves thanks it GwG.
Spellbound: Looks excellent but it's a trailer with no gameplay.
Phantom Dust: Studio has been shut down and project cancelled. But may still be in development. These are not Strategic? MS has stepped it up with indies as seen at GDC.

Dragon Quest is coming west because the fans wanted it and Square is aware of the PS4 base.

PS4 alone has Dragon Quest Heroes,Ys,Toukiden,Persona,and Disgaea.... This doesn't even include multiple others announced at TGS.
Strategic in terms of having more control over the IP's and development. Why wouldn't Scalebound and Phantom Dust be just as risk & reward as Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon?

I think Microsoft's smart by going straight to the developers to make their games, they just need to do more of that. The One's library would probably be more appealing abroad if MS also managed their UK/European studios better to help produce more games, that way they can at least try to offset the dearth of Japanese titles and certain indies not coming to the platform. I hope the management changes and giving Kuro Tsunoda leadership of the UK studios can improve some of this stuff not only in game output but in wider perception.

With regards to Crimson Dragon, while it isn't to the same standards as say Panzer Dragoon Orta I think it gets dogged a bit too much, it has some issues but it's a good on rails shooter.

Dragon Quest Heroes will be interesting to see sales wise though.

omonimo

Banned
Another good point it's the bad promotion of MS. They are terrible outside of the US country. This console smell too much of 'american' which is not really appealing at all for an average european customers. I don't know how to explain better, but in my opinion an european looks at something which reflect more their tastes, quite different to an american.

I might be late with this post, but I think it's important to note that the first FF to ever release in Europe was FFVII so people clearly associate FF with PlayStation over here. In fact, the first official releases of the NES and SNES titles (except FFIII) in Europe were the PS1 ports.

Ah, that had not occurred to me at all. Growing up in Indonesia despite being a US citizen during that period gave me the impression that Europe also had access to FF6 on the SNES.

redcrayon

Ah, that had not occurred to me at all. Growing up in Indonesia despite being a US citizen during that period gave me the impression that Europe also had access to FF6 on the SNES.
Initially I associated Squaresoft with the SNES/GameBoy only due to Secret of Mana and its GB prequel, Mystic Quest, which was badged as an FF title here on release. The UK games mags really liked SoM (particularly Super Play who championed all kinds of Japanese imports, particularly Squaresoft's stuff) and it introduced a lot of gamers here to JRPG-style concepts, like flying around a world map, looking for secrets etc. FFVII and the huge popularity of the PSOne was really where JRPGs took off here though. It's a bit like how motion controls existed already, but it took the Wii to really push them front-and-centre. It's absolutely why FF will always be associated with Playstation in some people's minds, a decade of exclusivity including when a series is at it's most popular will do that.

Man I loved Secret of Mana. I find it hard to go back to though.

Kamina

Golden Boy
While I agree with some of your points, others just dont make any sense.
Why would we have tiny living rooms? Mine is like 40m2 (430ft2) for example, thats not small and i am not living in a particularly fancy or big aparment.
Vespas? I never saw any vespa in my country. This is something Italy is famous for, not whole Europe. Also you seem to underestimate the sizes of european countries, Germany for example has 135,000mi2; Sweden has 173,000mi2; Austria 32,000mi2.

But I have to absolutely agree with Point 1.
Most here have Consoles for gaming. In german speaking gaming forums most people just dont understand why we would need a multi funktional device like the XBone when most modern HDTVs come with these functions integrated as well. Granted, PS4 is heading into that direction too, but it wasnt sold to us that way.

Sony even tried to install rootkits and to change the CD standards. Yes people may go "That is Sony Music not SCEE!!!" but it still is Sony's name in the articles ;).

Sony, a Japanese company, bought Colombia Music, a US label, and renamed it Sony Music. Later Sony Music merged with BMG a German and became Sony BMG. They were headquartered in New York and had a German CEO, Rolf Schmidt-Holtz. They licensed a DRM solution, MediaMax CD-3 from SunnComm a UK Company who was in fact producing a rootkit. Sony bought off BMG's half after 4 years.

Personal note: I used to buy CDs from Columbia House in the 80s. They never screwed me. I once tried a similar arrangement with BMG Music. They almost immediately sent me to collection.

I'm a big NFL fan and tbh the features aren't that great, only worthwhile as i'm a gamepass subscriber. It's a nice add on tho, but not for this market

The 50hz issue hasn't been fixed. Watching sky sports via the Xbox One is shocking. gave up on that a long time a go.

The reason why playstation does better over here is simple. the franchises, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, FF etc. People grew up with them and enjoy them so want to continue with them. Nintendo screwed EU for years so most people avoided them and went with Playstation

Sure Xbox will gain ground, but it won't be overnight and recent mess ups and treating a fair chunk of the EU poorly (just like ninty did in the day) won't help.

Initially I associated Squaresoft with the SNES/GameBoy only due to Secret of Mana and its GB prequel, Mystic Quest, which was badged as an FF title here on release. The UK games mags really liked SoM (particularly Super Play who championed all kinds of Japanese imports, particularly Squaresoft's stuff) and it introduced a lot of gamers here to JRPG-style concepts, like flying around a world map, looking for secrets etc. FFVII and the huge popularity of the PSOne was really where JRPGs took off here though. It's a bit like how motion controls existed already, but it took the Wii to really push them front-and-centre. It's absolutely why FF will always be associated with Playstation in some people's minds, a decade of exclusivity including when a series is at it's most popular will do that.

Man I loved Secret of Mana. I find it hard to go back to though.

I have a really hard time associating Secret of Mana with Seiken Densetsu.

It's one of those things where because I was growing up in a country in closer proximity to Japan that I often see the Japanese title and not its English name. It took some time to actually link the two together.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is still my favorite of the series.

Melchiah

It's actually quite interesting to see that most of the PS4's selling points are directly related to gaming and for Xbone they're more or less jargon created by Microsoft PR. :)

Well, there's "exclusive games/content" and "faster processing" on the XB1 side of the survey as well. ;)

I'm a big NFL fan and tbh the features aren't that great, only worthwhile as i'm a gamepass subscriber. It's a nice add on tho, but not for this market

The 50hz issue hasn't been fixed. Watching sky sports via the Xbox One is shocking. gave up on that a long time a go.

The reason why playstation does better over here is simple. the franchises, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, FF etc. People grew up with them and enjoy them so want to continue with them. Nintendo screwed EU for years so most people avoided them and went with Playstation

Sure Xbox will gain ground, but it won't be overnight and recent mess ups and treating a fair chunk of the EU poorly (just like ninty did in the day) won't help.

The person I was replying to was stating it doesn't work, not if it's any good or not.

I think you might want to check back on the Sky Sports thing, as I heard they were looking into it a while back, you did say you gave up on it a long time ago. Sky were showing the recent Champions league group matches live on Sky One and those were smooth. I only have BT Sports and up until a game I watched last week, was functioning fine.

Top Bottom