• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do devs exclude Xbox One?

vargas117259

Neo Member
to make it short old consoles doesn't bring as much money as new one, plus you have to consider the dev's need to build a good game using powerful hardware

mrcroket

Yet, somehow often the Switch is fine? You really think if the Xbox One has 120 million consoles out there and PS4 had 50, publishers would still just do the PS4 version?
Probably yes, for example Diablo 2 Resurrected was released for PS4, XBone and Switch (which has sold 125 million), however Diablo IV hasn't been released on either Switch or XBone, it has been released on PS4 though. According to you, the Switch version should have been a priority right?

Almost every question about "Why does company/business do X?" Can be answered by "Money", you can save the time to do any sort of investigation by knowing this answer

diffusionx

Gold Member
Edit - Oh, and the Xbox One X is not "so much more powerful than the PS4 Pro". One X has a Polaris 30 (cut down custom variant, think RX 580) and the PS4 Pro has an Ellesmere (cut down custom variant, think RX 470) for GPU's. These are low end GPU's even for their time at launch. One X has 4GB more VRAM than Pro and slightly more bandwidth for a 4K framebuffer to be easy, but the performance will obviously take a hit and stick to 30 fps for most games because of the dogshit Jaguar tablet CPU cores of 2013 inside both these consoles, bottlenecking the GPU's.
As someone who owned both, despite the on-paper more powerful specs, the PS4 Pro outperformed the One X frequently and few games used the extra RAM. One did in particular, Shadow of War, which had a nice upgrade over the Pro but I struggle to think of others. Maybe first-party games did but it's not like MS' studios were pumping out games back then.

CamHostage

117 million PS4 plus 58 million xbox give almost 180 million consoles of the previous generation, between PS5 and Xbox Series have sold just under 65 million. That leaves about 115 million users who have not made the leap to the new generation.

If all of those 58m Xbox Ones were still moving software units, then there would never be reason to retire the old boxes, but that's not the case.

Those 115mil people who you point to as having not made to jump to next- gen yet, you can't just count them as happy past-gen players... huge percentages of those previous gen owners are just gone. They're on Pc, they're on phone games, they're out of gaming or on a break at a certain age. Whether or not they can be led back to make the jump, they are not jumping from old to new; they would be jumping in born-again.

Attrition of audience is one of the reasons manufacturers make new consoles in the first place, because buyers fall off over time and need to be refreshed/replaced. In some territories, the attrition rate is slower, which is one reason why new PS4-crossgen releases come from certain regions or for certain demographics where PS has traction.

The stats never get published, but Sony and MS have a rough idea of how many of those old consoles out there still get used every week, and that's the real install base.

"...possibly because the xbox one s version doesn't reach the minimum acceptable level of quality."

Dragon Quest Infinity Strash could have met a minimum acceptable level of quality in the Xbox One S. Ys X Nordics would have been fine. The little indie shooter Zombie Soup would have met specs. The visual novel Anonymous;Code would have played on Xbox just fine. The 2d action game Kage Shadow of the Ninja, should not be an issue.

I don't have a great list on hand of Ps4/noXbone games, but just watch trends next time you see this happen, you will very rarely see games too difficult to run on a One. Territory and demographics play in much, much more than tech.

Maybe, maybe tech troubles came into decisions for high profile titles like RE4 R and KoF XV that added PS4 versions without Xbone, but more likely, Xbone was of the table before they even bothered with development assessment.

Last edited:

Belthazar

It has a negligible install base which mostly moved on to either the PS4 at the time or to the PS5/Series by now.

The OG X1 is also VERY underpowered compared to the base PS4, so developing anything for that in this day and age would be a pain

CamHostage

I have seen this recently, and i wonder, why devs/publishers are doing this:

so many games are releasing for all platforms except for xbox one.

Before this thread gets too far down without some context, I figured it'd be worth listing some of the games the OP is taking about...

• Resident Evil 4 Remake (PS4+others)
  • Street Fighter 6 (PS4+others)
  • King of Fighters XV (PS4+others)
  • Final Fantasy XIV (PS4+others)
  • Kage: Shadow of the Ninja (PS4+Switch+others)
  • Fate/Samurai Remnant (PS4+Switch+others)
  • Macross Shooting Insight (PS4+Switch+others)
  • Ys X: Nordics (PS4+Switch+others)
  • Granblue Fantasy Versus Rising (PS4+others)
  • Yumeiero Yuram (PS4+Switch+others)
  • Dragon Quest the Adventure of Dai: Infinity Strash (PS4+Switch+others)
  • Sand Land (PS4+others)
  • Anonymous;Code (PS4+Switch+others)
  • Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails (PS4+Switch+others)
  • Sailing Era (PS4+Switch+others)
  • Zombie Soup (PS4+Switch+others)
  • Gex Trilogy (PS4+Switch+others)
  • Tomba (PS4+Switch+others, not XbSeries)
  • Arzette: Jewel of Faramore (PS4+Switch+others)
  • RType Tactics 1+2 (PS4+Switch+others)
There's more, but that's a mix of the biggest and most recent cases I can come up with. (The trends I see are in Japanese and small indie titles, those are probably the biggest indicators I'd what's happening here.)

Last edited:

onQ123

i could somehow understand the situation, if they would drop ps4 AND xbox one to make users upgrade to the next platform, but as usual, sony platform gets supported to oblivion.
xbox one seemed to have been dropped from last year on.

and considering the fact, that xbox one x is so much more powerful than the ps4pro, it confuses even more, what is going on behind the curtains.

does someone know why>?
Probably because MS has dropped support for it & games just don't sell much on the 10 years old Xbox One anymore.

Stuart360

You will get a lot of console wat replies but i'm pretty sure the main reason is that XB1 has been discontinued, and has been for quite a while now, while PS4 is still being sold at retail. XB1 technically is a dead console.

Patrick S.

Banned
I though Xbox Series software is basically Xbox One software, just with higher quality presets? Isn’t that what this smart delivery stuff is meant to be? Doesn’t sound like a lot of work to implement a lower setting for the Series version you’ve already made…

RagnarokIV

The original Xbox One was a crap console and it stung them in the long term in terms of low userbase combined with being underpowered.

Xbox didn't start being good again until the One X - which was too late for that generation.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
SHQLTrm.jpg

michael fassbender perfection GIF

Puscifer

Probably yes, for example Diablo 2 Resurrected was released for PS4, XBone and Switch (which has sold 125 million), however Diablo IV hasn't been released on either Switch or XBone, it has been released on PS4 though. According to you, the Switch version should have been a priority right?
Diablo 4 is one Xbox one bro what are you smoking

Three

because of the DDR3 memory and Esram
Really, I very much doubt this. If the game is releasing on PS4 then there is no technical reason why an xbox one or xbox one X release isn't possible.

The differences between the PS5/XSX and XSS today are much bigger than any technical difference between the PS4 and XB1 and you have people trying to say what's possible on a PS5/XSX is on XSS. The weaknesses on the XB1 are in comparison tiny and would actually be scalable with reduced screen buffer size.

The reason is financial rather than technical. The install base was already small and while some are saying 58M isn't small it's likely that a good percentage of those have moved on from the XB1 to other consoles. It doesn't make financial sense to optimise and QA for a machine just for little to no sales on that platform. The same thing will happen to the PS4 eventually but naturally the XB1 crossed the "not worth it" threshold already whereas the PS4 gets support for longer.

Last edited:

Hudo

Because PS4 sold more due to Microsoft having been Sony's marketing department in that generation. Xbox One was the best advert for PS4 that Sony could've hoped for.

Its a mix of userbase and this. Sony always supports they last gen console to reach a 10 year life cicle, even if they stop releasing 1st party games on it. MS completly abandons the old console short after a new gen starts. The reason i bailed of the MS ship was because they killed the OG Xbox just 4 years after launch to focus on the X360 just to have a 1 year lead over Sony.

It sucked, but MS was losing money on each XBox sold. There were no possible die shrinks the way the thing was built.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Unsubstantiated assertion. 117 million PS4 plus 58 million xbox give almost 180 million consoles of the previous generation, between PS5 and Xbox Series have sold just under 65 million. That leaves about 115 million users who have not made the leap to the new generation.

Most people only buy one of the big consoles, and the ratio of sold consoles of ps4/xbone and ps5/xbs are pretty similar.
How is it unsubstantiated?

You think the 20 million or so "series" buyers are still playing games on Xbox One?

There goes "a lot" of your userbase, shrinking it down to at most 38 million. The reality is that "consoles sold" does not equate to "userbase" particularly late in a generation, since people are more likely to buy multiple consoles than they would earlier in a gen.

And the people left on Xbox One at this point aren't going to be your biggest purchasers, relative to those who have upgraded to a "series" console.

The same is true for Playstation, but we are talking more than double the people still left on PS4 than those that are left on Xbox One.

Last edited:

cireza

sold poorly
sold poorly = more than 50 millions consoles sold

Smaller games are not skipping Xbox One yet though. If it is easy to run your game on the console, then skipping a 50 millions install base would be a mistake.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
sold poorly = more than 50 millions consoles sold

Smaller games are not skipping Xbox One yet though. If it is easy to run your game on the console, then skipping a 50 millions install base would be a mistake.
Depends on the metric. Compared to its predecessor, 58 million consoles sold is poor, yes. For an Xbox, however, it sold relatively well.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

i could somehow understand the situation, if they would drop ps4 AND xbox one to make users upgrade to the next platform, but as usual, sony platform gets supported to oblivion.
xbox one seemed to have been dropped from last year on.

and considering the fact, that xbox one x is so much more powerful than the ps4pro, it confuses even more, what is going on behind the curtains.

does someone know why>?
It's been three years since XSX came out. Move on.

Neo_GAF

Banned
As I said before, possibly because the xbox one s version doesn't reach the minimum acceptable level of quality.
but the switch does?

dont get me wrong: the xbox one is a piece of shit. but i do wonder, since the ps4 also is fairly old and the ports are not being done in a proper way, the do get released on that old system. same goes for indie-titles as well as for still a lot of retail-titles.
until last year there were tons of xbox one/series x games seen on shelves in shops, when i was in a shop on the weekend, there was nothing to be seen from the xbox one, only series x or ps5/ps4.

and ms supports their systems, but not the games... have a look at the xbox360 which still gets sort of... "system-updates"
and the xbox one also got the new UI-update.
also you are able to play stream XSX-games on it.
so technically... ms supports their system a bit more than sony with their ps3 back in the day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom