• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why men should pay on first date!

Woggleman

Women say that they don't wear makeup and dress for men but when it comes to this all of a sudden it is a reason that they should pay. Pick a lane already. They already do this whether or not they are single or looking to date so why should it even be a factor in why men do or don't pay.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I pay on the first date because it is what a gentleman should do. Often times gals want to split it, and I’m fine with that, but I always make the offer to pay.
*shrugs*
It’s how my old man raised me, and he was definitely a product of the old school.
Pretty much the same. Now I’m married we both pay as joint income.

Which I have no problems with.

Last edited:
Let us just skip over fake it till you make it too. I'll take a real bird without a 2 hour routine for a date and all that bullshit every day of the week.

Legendary response from the bloke too. Classic.

Effort is one thing, projecting your routine and costs onto another is a different thing entirely.

Last edited:
While I have often read of the raging feminazis online I’m thankful I’ve never run into one of these nutjobs in the dating pool.
Most women are blown away when I do what I consider to be fairly basic stuff on a first date, super complicated things like opening doors, offering to pay, being polite in general, etc.

Kenpachii

I pay on the first date because it is what a gentleman should do. Often times gals want to split it, and I’m fine with that, but I always make the offer to pay.
*shrugs*
It’s how my old man raised me, and he was definitely a product of the old school.

Doesn't work, girls will just use u as free meal.

By making her pay for her own meal u suddenly have somebody that wants to spend time with you. U avoid girls that basically just want to freeload.

Last edited:
Doesn't work, girls will just use u as free meal.

By making her pay for her own meal u suddenly have somebody that wants to spend time with you. U avoid girls that basically just want to freeload.

Doesn’t work? I went on my first date at 14, currently I’m 48 and it has always worked out fine for me.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
You want the D, damn right you better make yourself prettier girl!

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
People can have all the feminist or manosphere reasons to try to buck the common sense wisdom of dating, but you aren't going to change it.

Women have more options when it comes to dating and sex, always, so they're choosier and need to be impressed. And men aren't choosy but will struggle to commit and settle down when presented with even mediocre choices. This is just biological shit that you're not gonna change.

If you want a successful dating strategy, plan a real date, pay for everything without making a big deal or whining or being transactional about it, and if you're dating me multiple women, whittle that shit down early and decisively and lock it down. If you get an attitude about these realities it's not gonna improve your odds.

SoloCamo

Doesn’t work? I went on my first date at 14, currently I’m 48 and it has always worked out fine for me.

You started dating in a very, very, different social time. That said, I'm in my late 30's and have been with the same woman for 15 years now. I look amt my 21 year old nephew and I just wish him the best of luck, finding someone trustworthy and faithful was always hard but these young adults are being poisoned with selfishness when it comes to dating.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Nobody is forcing that woman to put all that overpriced crap on her face.

Does she think it doesn't also cost men to take care of themselves and dress well?

The thing is a lot of women look better without makeup or with minimal makeup.
Some years ago I was talking to a women that was wearing so much makeup, that her skin looked like plastic.

Saber

Gold Member
Most people are chill. The weird examples online aren't typical of actual day-to-day life.

I'm talking specifically about the smart snarky ones.
I also don't think those examples are so distant from day-to-day cases(in my late work for instance the women, we had 12 in our team, all talk about spendings of make-up). I think its way more prevalent here in my country than you might think. I remember last year radio from a well know journalism(Globo) was doing a fathers day commemoration for...women. And strangelly a situation like that appeared(it wasn't about first date though).

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
If you have an ICBM, trust me, she'll have no problem splitting the bill.

That said, it's kind of weak for a man to ask a woman out on a date and not pay the full bill.

Feminism or not, stop being pussies about simple shit, gentlemen.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
I go by the whoever asked/created the date should pay rule. It’s still a little awkward for me to have the women pay but it seems to be the least offensive route these days.

DKehoe

I'm talking specifically about the smart snarky ones.
I also don't think those examples are so distant from day-to-day cases(in my late work for instance the women, we had 12 in our team, all talk about spendings of make-up). I think its way more prevalent here in my country than you might think. I remember last year radio from a well know journalism(Globo) was doing a fathers day commemoration for...women. And strangelly a situation like that appeared(it wasn't about first date though).
I don't think "the snarky ones" like the kind in that video are that common though. When you say "Modern women are..." that's painting with a pretty broad brush.

People post outrageous stuff and hot takes on platforms like TikTok to stir up views. Then because people see that stuff everywhere they think that reflects a large section of the population.

Maybe it is different in your country. I'm not there so I can't speak to that. But I often see guys talking about the kind of views they think women have these days and it seems detached from reality. Like I said, most people are chill.

Saber

Gold Member
I don't think "the snarky ones" like the kind in that video are that common though. When you say "Modern women are..." that's painting with a pretty broad brush.

Same can be said to you, painting them all the same as if women are calm and have no worries about the matter(already said my case where my workmates complain all about their make up expenses, but doesn't seem to matter to you). I feel like its better in this case to agree to disagree because I feel like we live in different spaces. Consider traveling to Brazil though, most women here are gorgeous and surprisingly obssessed with make ups and shapes(hence why my country has high rates of plastic surgery).

Last edited:

GHG

The thing is a lot of women look better without makeup or with minimal makeup.
Some years ago I was talking to a women that was wearing so much makeup, that her skin looked like plastic.

The main issue is a lot of women don't know how to correctly apply makeup or use incorrect makeup for their complexion/overall look.

Whenever you see people on TV they are covered in makeup most of the time, even the men, but because it's being done by an artist who knows what they are doing and uses the correct products and techniques most people would never know.

It should be used to enhance how somebody looks, not change how they look completely.

DKehoe

Same can be said to you, painting them all the same as if women are calm and have no worries about the matter(already said my case where my workmates complain all about their make up expenses, but doesn't seem to matter to you). I feel like its better in this case to agree to disagree because I feel like we live in different spaces. Consider traveling to Brazil though, most women here are gorgeous and surprisingly obssessed with make ups and shapes(hence why my country has high rates of plastic surgery).
I'm not saying everyone is calm and rational all the time. I said "most people are chill." Obviously, there are going to be some people who are weirdos and act entitled. But I don't think saying most people act normally is painting with a broad brush.

Yeh, women talk about how much makeup costs. That shit can be very expensive. But I can't say it's been an issue for me where women have acted entitled about not paying when it comes to dates. Again this is just my personal experience but for me as far as I can recall it's been I go to pay the bill, she offers to pay half, I say it's fine and pay it. On a more recent one she insisted to the point where we then did split it. It's not been a big deal. If I felt like I was being taken from granted then we wouldn't see each other anymore.

I'd love to visit Brazil sometime though! Looks like a beautiful country and the beautiful women are certainly a plus.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
50 cent said it best. Whoever asked for the date has to pay for the date.

Unfortunately it has to be us because we always ask. To me, its very simple. If the girl knows she isnt going to fuck you then she should split the bill. We need to make that the standard since that way everyone will know the other party isnt interested, and there is no need for ghosting or awkward text messages.

Also, if the girl is so entitled that she wants you to pay for all dates without ever offering to pay then that girl isnt for you. Ditch her and find someone else. There is nothing worse than an entitled woman. They are karens in training. If you end up alone then so be it. It's better than being with a spoiled entitled brat. And there is nothing wrong with being alone.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I always paid on the first date because I didn’t want girls to think I couldn’t afford it and thus was broke and not worth their time. There was only one time in college where I felt taken advantage of because she was out on a date with another guy the next day, every other time I got a second and third date. And then that girl came back around, I wised up and we went Dutch, and then I gotta play with some of the most magnificent titties ever that night.

In conclusion, I’m glad it’s been like 14+ years since I had a first date because the scene sounds horrible now

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Well you will hang around with Cher.

I had a very strong and robust system. Each date I would start off with a 50-50 split in my head. Then I would keep track of reimbursements in my head. Has she made an effort? £5 earned. Big feet? Deduct £5. Is she flirty? Remiburse £10. Is she slutty? Reimburse £25.

At the end of the date I would total the bills and tell them how I reviewed them and where they could do better. As you can imagine, this was a great way to weed out non serious women.

FeralEcho

With that logic you owe me $50k+ for the ride I picked you up in.....
Star Trek Applause GIF

This is why modern women want to put men down,once you use logic against them, it's all over.

Trilobit

*shrugs*

I also like to pay. *spits on floor* Because I feel men need to show they can take care of their women. *leans against wall* You really shouldn't come off as cheap. *puts straw in mouth* I just see myself as a classic nobleman. *bares teeth against the sun*

Last edited:
Top Bottom