• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Nintendo hasn't made a sim racing game?

JordanN

Banned
Would you seriously have a sim racing game with nintendo style cartoonish graphics???

The cognitive dissonance would be insane
There was a cartoon racer on PS2.

xCW4NgR.jpg

Verendus

Banned
I'd say Mario Kart is a pretty good simulation of how I drive. I'm constantly throwing banana skins, shells, and even pencils, at other drivers.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Same reason they aren't making gritty FPS or TPS games; it's not something they're interested in and not something that would align with the majority of the people who buy their consoles. And that market is already dominated by GT and Forza anyway.

I don't know, but if they ever do, I hope they call it Mach Rider. That name was for their toy race cars long before it was the motorcycle game.

entremet

They're very boring games and the market is crowded.

Licensing those cars ain't cheap either and Nintendo is rather conservative in that area.

Atomski

Last thing we need is more Sim racing games... I'd actually be pissed if Nintendo wasted their time on one. theres so many as it is. A arcadey reboot of cruisin would be cool.

It's a pretty niche market these days. Personally I find it pretty boring. I remember loving Gran Turismo back in the day but those 30 minute races bore me to tears these days.

I could totally see in the middle of a marathon race the patented Nintendo popup, "Hey, you've been playing for a long time, maybe stop playing and go outside or something?"

rjc571

Banned
Sim racing games aren't really "fun" or "accessible", which are the types of games that Nintendo specializes in

Wiktor

They don't have the skillset? You can't get randon, even very talented devs and expect them to produce a good racing sim. Those require a lot o experience to pull off properly

I thought that's what sim racing games were supposed to be about? Realism.

Realism in physics, handling and car modelling. While sim racers do typically also shoot for a photorealistic look, you could have the exact same game and stylize the visuals without compromising what makes it a sim.

Wiktor

Yeah, a multi-billion dollar company that's 38 years in the business can't afford appropriate developers or research.

The current employeers o Nintendo wouldn't have a clue how to make a racing sim. They would need to pretty much buy out an already existing dev, which is always risky and messy. Propably not worth it, especially since Nintendos' audience prefers very simple games (on surface that is, they often have lots of depth, but they're always very easy to pick up and play)

C'mon now, it's pretty obvious isn't it? Sudden delay and complete silence about WiiU version, when before that they were boasting about WiiU version really hard, makes it really obvious.

Just checked it: Amazon had only 2 SKUs: Xbox One and PS4, ganestop has 3, the third being PC. Yeah, forget it WiiU owners (I have a WiiU...).

Realism in physics, handling and car modelling. While sim racers do typically also shoot for a photorealistic look, you could have the exact same game and stylize the visuals without compromising what makes it a sim.

All the sims racers I have played since on PS3/360/PC have all pushed for photorealism and use of licensed cars and circuits. I would give anything for Capcom to do a modern version of Automodelista with current cell shading techniques. But alas is not going to happen because sim racers that don't try to be photorealistic on the current market are destined to bomb miserably.

Opiate

Yeah, a multi-billion dollar company that's 38 years in the business can't afford appropriate developers or research.

I think there are lots of cases where Nintendo could not have the talent involved; there are lots of markets or submarkets that require pretty particular or uncommon skills.

But sim racer just isn't one of those. It's a fairly by-the-numbers formula that certainly takes a lot of work but doesn't take a lot of innovation.

However, I say this, and Nintendo has proven fairly incompetent at handling their networking strategy -- and networking is a very understood field at this point that really shouldn't take a lot of work to get right. Even small company websites have an integrated user ID system at this point.

The current employeers o Nintendo wouldn't have a clue how to make a racing sim. They would need to pretty much buy out an already existing dev, which is always risky and messy. Propably not worth it, especially since Nintendos' audience prefers very simple games (on surface that is, they often have lots of depth, but they're always very easy to pick up and play)
That's your assumption, they can model everything without a problem, the crucial thing is the gameplay & physics and if you give them a few years incl. a bit of research
they can develop whatever they wan't, it's not like Xenoblade, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Pikmin, Zelda, 3D Mario, Star Fox are similar games in terms of their mechanics.

Derphoof

I don't think they really want to. Nobody has been clamoring for a Nintendo racing sim. Most people are perfectly fine with them having Mario Kart.

Plus, Project CARS will at least fill in the void in that genre for the Wii U.

Opiate

That's your assumption, they can model everything without a problem, the crucial thing is the gameplay & physics and if you give them a few years incl. a bit of research
they can develop whatever they wan't, it's not like Xenoblade, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Pikmin, Zelda, 3D Mario, Star Fox are similar games in terms of their mechanics.

It's not a totally unreasonable assumption. I agree with you that sim racers are not a genre that takes a great deal of creativity or innovation, but then, as stated above, neither does a simple account system. Tiny companies can handle a simple account system, so clearly it's pretty easy.... and yet Nintendo has really struggled to get it right.

Because both their core fanbase and their key mainstream target audience (or audiences if you will) don't like those kinds of games; it would be a complete waste of precious time and money to invest in something like that.

TI82

Banned
Just checked it: Amazon had only 2 SKUs: Xbox One and PS4, ganestop has 3, the third being PC. Yeah, forget it WiiU owners (I have a WiiU...).

Really?

I've always figured it was going to be cancelled eventually. The Wii U just isn't up to the technical tasks they want to do with the game.

It's not a totally unreasonable assumption. I agree with you that sim racers are not a genre that takes a great deal of creativity or innovation, but then, as stated above, neither does a simple account system.
Tiny companies can handle a simple account system, so clearly it's pretty easy.... and yet Nintendo has really struggled to get it right.
I understand your point, no company is perfect, even if you're called Microsoft and earn a batshit amount of money.

But I think we can agree that there's one part at Nintendo that isn't incomptent: Their gaming developers

In my opinion it's unrealistic that a group of high class developers (and some hired stuff) couldn't pull of such a game in a reasonable amount of time.

If you look at Nintendos portfolio there's a large amount of genres/games with different mechanics, if they're able to achieve this, why shouldn't they be able to create a racing simulation?
Pikmin | Zelda | Mario | Mario Kart | Smash Bros. | Xenoblade | Metroid Prime | Fire Emblem | Punch-Out!

Granted, none of these games is similar to a racing sim (aside from Mario Kart maybe), therefore you need appropriate research (playing other racing sims, trial & error, etc.) to get an idea of this genre and pull it off.

But Splatoon isn't something they've done before either.

Well, in some point you're both right, currently there may be not people to develop a racing sim from the get go, but if they wanted to create a racing simulation they could do it in my opinion.

Top Bottom