• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Nintendo hasn't made a sim racing game?

Nose Master

Nintendo's style isn't generally hyper realistic. Would be as awkward as those foreign Mario Kart ad's with the real dude with the mario nose.

Guamu

Based on experiences of other devs. Maybe Nintendo is some magical entity that can completely disregard what every other dev went through, but somehow I doubt that.
We're not talking about making some quirky game. Nintendo would have to compete directly against people with far biger skillset, experience and at decade of building their physics engines and databases.
maybe if Nintendo would be willing to throw like 100 mln dollars into the project they could brute force it.

And that's precisely why they don't do it

It doesn't have to be a "big-budget realistic-looking" game in order to be a sim racer though.

It doesn't matter...
Many of them (core Nintendo fans, and more importantly Nintendo's target demographic/demographics) don't like those kinds of games in terms of how they handle from a physical perspective; many of them don't like sim racing mechanics or the dynamics present within them, slapping a cartoony coat of paint on that kind of game won't mean a damn thing to people who don't like the kind of play aesthetics sim racers generally offer. It would also drive away the majority of core and casual sim racing players who don't want a cartoony game.
It's really as simple as that.
Creating any kind of racing sim on their consoles would just be serving an incredibly niche demo of enthusiast forum goers like yourself who don't represent the majority of sim racing players, it's not worth it and they most likely won't see much success with it...
At best Nintendo's sim racer might sell like Metroid, and that's really not a good thing.

amar212

Project CARS was almost that.

I am almost 90% confident that SMS - Ian - at some point thought of option to be bought by Nintendo as the first-party studio.

Without going into useless braindance why I think that subjectivelly, I just seriously think like that.

shandy706

Apparently I'm doing something wrong.

I have a ton of fun and don't get bored when playing sims.

A few people here have brought this to my attention.

casiopao

Based on experiences of other devs. Maybe Nintendo is some magical entity that can completely disregard what every other dev went through, but somehow I doubt that.
We're not talking about making some quirky game. Nintendo would have to compete directly against people with far biger skillset, experience and at decade of building their physics engines and databases.
maybe if Nintendo would be willing to throw like 100 mln dollars into the project they could brute force it.

Well, if u ask me. I will said Ninty is actually the only company who had the capabilities to do things like this.

Pikmin come out when Ninty had 0 experience on making RTS, Splatoon now as Ninty had small to zero TPS experience.

I feel if Ninty wanted, I feel Ninty can make sim racing genre but with their own special magic lol.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
MF 7-14 don't care for simulation games.. It's ultimately why they didn't end up publishing their baseball title. They don't have a market for it.

Also they don't have the internal talent for it.
I'm sure Theyd be happy if someone else wanted to make one for their systems tho.

CompC

That's totally not how Nintendo works. "Sony and Microsoft are successful with this, let's do the exact same thing." No, they'll find success with their own things.

And yeah, they already have a racing game.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
C'mon now, it's pretty obvious isn't it? Sudden delay and complete silence about WiiU version, when before that they were boasting about WiiU version really hard, makes it really obvious.
If it gets cancelled they're gonna catch a lot of hell, a lot of crowdfunded money came from wiiU owners.

FLAguy954

Nintendo has the talent to pull it off but I don't think they'll allocate the necessary resources for such a game unless the mindset of the upper management changes.

Derp

1. Nintendo doesn't seem to be into realism at all.
2. Nintendo's target audience seems to despise the genre. I mean, there are Nintendo fans on this thread taking their opportunity to bash the genre in some way, or calling the genre boring and not fun as though they're speaking for everyone.

I think that's enough to not warrant a Nintendo racing sim.

MisterHero

lol sim racers aren't fun. Nintendo makes fun games.

The real question is why they haven't brought back their flight or jetski simulators. Pilotwings Resort doesn't count

Hydderf

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-1_World_Grand_Prix

5yLdJCQ.jpg

They published this one though. Very good game developed by Paradigm.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Why? When Kart sells more than both of those shipped combined. The Sim racer seems a bit like a waste of resources to them. They don't specialize in realistic, licensing other products, etc.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The sim racing genre is a "large niche" like fighting games. Racing games in general, outside of a few brands like Mario Kart, have shrunk for the last 15 years. My personal theory is that racing games got a huge shot in the arm during the early advent of 3D graphics and that made them novel for a while. Everyone wanted to try driving a virtual car. Then most people lost interest. And some sub-genres like arcade racers were nearly killed off by publishers targeting remaining hardcore fans of simulation and collecting virtual versions of real life cars.

Nintendo sure does make a lot of games for niche audiences, but most of those are low cost. A sim racing game on the level of Gran Turismo is an incredibly complex, expensive investment because the standards set by the remaining genre kings are very high.

Long story short, I don't see how it could be worth it for them. Spend a huge amount of money making a GT / Forza clone, and probably fail to get much traction because the hardcore sim niche already has GT and Forza and is invested into those games' online communities.

It's the same reason IMO we're finally seeing a decline in games attempting to steal some of Call of Duty's money. It didn't work. The genre king had its locked in audience and everybody wasted money for years trying to market first person shooters to defeat COD.

Wiktor

Well, if u ask me. I will said Ninty is actually the only company who had the capabilities to do things like this.

Pikmin come out when Ninty had 0 experience on making RTS, Splatoon now as Ninty had small to zero TPS experience.

I feel if Ninty wanted, I feel Ninty can make sim racing genre but with their own special magic lol.

Those are completely wrong examples. RTS-es and shooters can be built from scratch and shine. Racing sims aren't built this way. Every good racing sim has been effectively in development or at least decade. Often twice as much. Those devs start with first game and then build and build on that base with each entry, making the physics better and more advaned, adding insane ammounts of data and tweaking details car by car, track by track.
They often change the graphics, but the core simulation part isn't built from scratch.
Sure Nintendo could make a racing sim, but at most it would be like racing sims we had 10-20 years ago.

To put it into different genres, expecting Nintendo to make a racing sim that's able to compete with the best games in the genre is like expecting a developer to compete with Zelda with 2 months long dev cycle.

Haunted

They actually tried to sell this as a perk with the Wii to major publishers, by the way.

At least at the time, the common refrain was that publishers can't compete with Nintendo. So Nintendo argued that they had left these giant chasms in their library that third parties were already well suited for. They didn't make realistic/gritty games, or shooters, or violent games in general. There's plenty of space for you on our platform where you're not competing with us at all!

It turns out that's not really what publishers wanted, and it's pretty clear at this point that they want the opposite; they do want the first party publisher to pave the way with their own games first before they bring their own. Unless you'd like to argue that Halo has significantly deterred third parties from making their shooters on Xbox.
Though it is easy to see the argument from third parties in either case. "Nintendo hasn't paved the way and built the audience for these games, of course we couldn't sell them." vs "We can't compete with Nintendo."

Either way, it ended up as a huge miscalculation by Nintendo.

Why would they have to? They're industry leaders in the fun party mode racers and the ultra high speed space racers, there isn't really a need for them to try and enter a market that somewhat competes with what they're already really good at.

Opiate

Though it is easy to see the argument from third parties in either case. "Nintendo hasn't paved the way and built the audience for these games, of course we couldn't sell them." vs "We can't compete with Nintendo."

Either way, it ended up as a huge miscalculation by Nintendo.

No, I agree, I wasn't suggesting the third parties were necessarily "wrong," just that people deeply misunderstand the market. Far from wanting to avoid competing with first parties, third parties want the opposite; they want to compete directly with whatever the first parties make. They want to make variations of the games and genres which have already proven popular. Halo is popular? Third parties didn't respond by avoiding the Xbox -- they did the opposite, putting all their shooters on the system.

In fact, just looking at the Wii shows this: what were NIntendo's breakout hits on the Wii? Wii Sports and Wii Fit were their biggest new IPs. And what did third parties make? Not GTA or something else wildly different -- which would have avoided going head on with those Nintendo juggernauts -- but mini game collections and Fitness/Dance games, just like Nintendo.

It's how the major publishers operate. Nintendo may want "blue oceans," but EA, Take 2 and Activision most certainly do not. They swim in blood red waters.

MrBadger

Mariokart sells more. I also doubt they'd just copy what the competition is doing before bringing back F-Zero
which they also won't do

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
F1 World Grand Prix and Waialae Country Club were probably the most sim-like experiences from Nintendo. Granted, Pilotwings and Wave Race 64 could have easily taken the turn in that direction without the arcade like elements.

Top Bottom