• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Nintendo's Wii U Might Be The Best Console To Unwrap Christmas Morning [BLOGGER]

Hackworth

Yo if they start actually selling reasonable numbers of gamecube adaptors in NZ then I'll get a Wii U for eight-player Smash.

LoveCake

I think that kids today would be more excited if they opened a X1/PS4 with a copy of GTA & CoD than a WiiU with a bunch of games though.

Maybe i am just getting old :/

Micken

Banned
I think that kids today would be more excited if they opened a X1/PS4 with a copy of GTA & CoD than a WiiU with a bunch of games though.

Maybe i am just getting old :/

It's sad times, sad times indeed...

Nah, I guess kids can like whatever they want, I know I do.

It's that time of year again! Click-bait puff piece articles about Wii U that all follow the same basic template: "Holiday time and you want to buy a new console: will it be the Sony Thesis or the MS Antithesis? The answer? Neither! Go with the Nintendo Synthesis instead!"

Not that I disagree with the premise of this article. If you miss local co-op and more traditional arcade-style action then you should choose a Wii U. It's the rhetoric that grates, not the message, per se.

YEah i seem to remember the same thing happening last year off the back of the Super Mario 3D World buzz. It almost feels like the media does it either out of pity, or because they have nothing else to talk about, but almost certainly come Jan/Feb/March they will go back to ignoring the Wii U like everyone else and talking about the next Sony/MS/Ubi/EA/Activision games. And probably again, like clockwork, in December 2015 when Zelda and X are out we'll get more articles like this asking why we've been ignoring the Wii U all this time, even though everyone in the media has done the same thing.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I would expect no further support from WB. Capcom hasn't released anything yet, so it's hardly a surprise that they wouldn't. Namco? I don't know. Obviously, Namco worked with Nintendo on Smash and is developing Pokken, so I don't know what that means for Tekken 7's chances. It's also worth noting that Injustice was given second-tier support.

I just wanted to point out that "completely" was inaccurate, as there are indeed fighting games with which players can play while sitting side-by-side on the Wii U.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It almost feels like the media does it either out of pity, or because they have nothing else to talk about
Or more likely because they play games on all consoles, and somehow know what they are talking about. Also they have been at E3 and are excited by what is coming on this console next year. How about that, instead of your funny pity theory?

Or more likely because they play all games on all consoles, know what they are talking about. Also they have been at E3 and are excited by what is coming on this console as well. How about that, instead of your pity theory?

You wouldn't know it from the way the Wii U is covered from January to October.

Nintendo: You can play with up to eight players with a single copy of the game, a single console, and no online subscription.

Sony & Microsoft: If you want to play with up to eight players, each player needs a copy of the game, a console, and an online subscription.

Guess which future people have decided to buy?

#IDARB and sports games am cry

marc^o^

You wouldn't know it from the way the Wii U is covered from January to October.
Praise has been non stop since MK8 and the last firmware, wasn't it last may? It has not been enough to reverse Wii U's fortune, but with what is planned next year, I'm afraid you will have to get used to people saying they love Wii U, more and more, title after title.

Praise has been non stop since MK8 and the last firmware, wasn't it last may? It has not been enough to reverse Wii U's fortune, but with what is planned next year, I'm afraid you will have to get used to people saying they love Wii U, more and more, title after title.

At least for a month or two.

marc^o^

At least for a month or two.
Nintendo is quite prolific these days, and the back catalog is getting interesting. I'm pretty sure it won't help make Wii U a hit, as I'm also sure their games will regularly receive accolades, probably on a monthly basis.

By the end of 2015 there could be 15 must have games to own for a new user. That's what journalists will most likely talk about. Not out of pity, just doing their job.

Nintendo is quite prolific these days, and the back catalog is getting interesting. I'm pretty sure it won't help make Wii U a hit, as I'm also sure their games will regularly receive accolades, probably on a monthly basis.

By the end of 2015 there could be 15 must have games to own for a new user. That's what journalists will most likely talk about. Not out of pity, just doing their job.

I don't deny that Nintendo is putting out good software, this isn't a knock on them. I just find the media's position on them is silly most of the time.

Vena

I would expect no further support from WB. Capcom hasn't released anything yet, so it's hardly a surprise that they wouldn't. Namco? I don't know. Obviously, Namco worked with Nintendo on Smash and is developing Pokken, so I don't know what that means for Tekken 7's chances. It's also worth noting that Injustice was given second-tier support.

Capcom will release MegaMan Legends 3 on WiiU.

Smash has been hinting about the adoption...

... Right? Right? Master Hand is going to swoop in and save MegaMan!

I didn't know Forbes allowed fan-fiction on their site.

Pretty much.

The whole family on Xmas morning is playing Nintendo? Maybe in 1998.

More realistic: mom has her iOS mini, dad has his phone, and the son and daughter are playing on a PS4, XB1, or 360/PS3/PC upstairs with their friends online for Minecraft, CoD, Skylanders or Destiny.

Local co-op died for a reason. Should've out this article in the fiction section.

Originally Posted by LegendofLex
Nintendo: You can play with up to eight players with a single copy of the game, a single console, and no online subscription.

Sony & Microsoft: If you want to play with up to eight players, each player needs a copy of the game, a console, and an online subscription.

Guess which future people have decided to buy?

The one where if their friends are in St. Louis, and they're on Oakland, they can hop online and play a popular game together.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Pretty much.

More realistic: mom has her iOS mini, dad has his phone, and the son and daughter are playing on a PS4, XB1, or 360/PS3/PC upstairs with their friends online for Minecraft, CoD, Skylanders or Destiny.

Local co-op died for a reason. Should've out this article in the fiction section.

The one where if their friends are in St. Louis, and they're on Oakland, they can hop online and play a popular game together.

I wouldn't call that friendship, usually. They know each other, sometimes not even well.

Pretty much.

So you missed out on Wii Bowling Christmas evenings with 3 generations playing together? I feel sad for you.

Top Bottom