• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why not let the Southern US be its own country?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something tells me there are obvious reasons this would be a bad idea that I'm overlooking, but I feel like both new countries would be able to govern a lot more efficiently if they weren't in a constant push-pull over which direction to lead. My gut tells me this new South USA would become an impoverished pseudo-theocracy, but that's what they're voting for so that's what they'll end up with. I get that letting the south do what it wants may come across as, like, a human rights violation to some, but as long as democracy is held intact you can't be upset that people are choosing to cut taxes and restrict rights to their detriment.

To be specific, I'm talking about Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky and Tennessee being made into their own country.

So, what say you gaf? Why not push for something like this?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
So i've thought about this before, and I think this would be good for the North. The new South would be a terrible place to live for a lot of people! Way worse than before. But the New North would be a little radder and probably move on sociopolitical issues a lot quicker and more progressively. But let's be real. Obama with his hard on for Abe Lincoln(to be fair who doesn't have a hard on for Lincoln he was pretty ridiculous and great) wouldn't let them darn confederates secede.

potam

Banned
Something tells me there are obvious reasons this would be a bad idea that I'm overlooking

yeah, they already tried this

Bodies_on_the_battlefield_at_antietam.jpg

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The constant push and pull is what keeps us from moving in one direction too fast. Efficiency is nice in some things, but the government is set up expressly to avoid that. A lot of people might get emotionally caught up after an event and sign their rights away.

And then I honestly don't know who would advantage from it. Seems like both sides would just get weakened. It's a cool concept for a alternate history book though. Like if the Civil War had ended in a protracted armistice (Like the Korean War), what would thw two American cultures be like today?

Now if we're talking about splitting California up into more states, I'm cool with that. Why? No real reason, I just think new state names would be cool. Lol

Kabouter

Because it'd massively reduce America's power and international stature? Because the vast majority of Americans living in the South don't want to secede? Because the South is increasingly economically important?

Speevy

Banned
Yes, let's become like those other countries that view certain areas as being occupied by second class citizens.

*goes back to playing banjos and screwing sister*

linkboy

Now if we're talking about splitting California up into more states, I'm cool with that. Why? No real reason, I just think new state names would be cool. Lol

There's no way that would work, northern California (the area north of Sacramento) doesn't really have any way to make money. The state of Jefferson would fail worse than Kansas currently is.

ISOM

The US came to a decision that it's better to have the nation together than split it apart, even by force. You know that's why the civil war was fought for?

Does the majority in the south even want something like that?

I don't have any study to cite here, but my gut says yes. The GOP already throws around a lot of dog whistles: "real" america, states rights, referring to dems as "liberal elites" in "big cities", confederate flags, etc. There's a lot of us vs. them terminology that's directly linked to the Civil War to this very day.

Speevy

Banned
I don't have any study to cite here, but my gut says yes. The GOP already throws around a lot of dog whistles: "real" america, states rights, referring to dems as "liberal elites" in "big cities", confederate flags, etc. There's a lot of us vs. them terminology that's directly linked to the Civil War to this very day.

My gut says you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

In 31 years I have never met a single person in favor of secession.

potam

Banned

hahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahahahaha

No. While the GOP may throw around a lot of divisive language to pander to their dumber constituents, please don't believe that your average Southerner is dumb enough to believe they'd be better off as their own country.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

ISOM

The GOP likes to bluster about seceding from the US but they aren't dumb enough to think it's an actual viable idea. Only the nutters of nutters think that.

Seanspeed

Banned
Because the world is better off having both political and social pressures put on them rather than let them think and believe the way they do without question.

And there are plenty of people in the south who do not buy into all the conservative and religious shit that is so common there. Lets not let them hang out to dry, ya know?

The US came to a decision that it's better to have the nation together than split it apart, even by force. You know that's why the civil war was fought for?

There's a big difference between the South trying to secede while the North forcibly maintains the union and, as I'm talking about in this hypothetical, something that's done in a peaceful way. I guess I didn't make that clear, but I'm thinking of a scenario that's more like 2/3 of the senate voting on the matter, having it approved and then it's a done deal rather than a repeat of the civil war.

Well, there are decades-long underlying reasons. Directly, it was because the Union refused to withdraw its military from sovereign Confederate territory.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The North US and Canada would be like the bestest bros. I might even support Canada merging with them depending on how things turn out after the separation.

ISOM

There's a big difference between the South trying to secede while the North forcibly maintains the union and, as I'm talking about in this hypothetical, something that's done in a peaceful way. I guess I didn't make that clear, but I'm thinking of a scenario that's more like 2/3 of the senate voting on the matter, having it approved and then it's a done deal rather than a repeat of the civil war.

No one logical in the US government would voluntarily vote to weaken the United States just because of ideology.

My gut says you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

In 31 years I have never met a single person in favor of secession.

You might be right. Mind you, I'm aware that most of the politicians (at least on the federal level... state legislatures seem to attract legit wackos) are just pandering and recognize they'd be screwed on their own. However, they're pandering because they have a sizable portion of the constituency starving for that kind of rhetoric because that's what they believe. And I have certainly met some folks that argued in favor of secession. That was in West Virginia, ironically enough.

Because it'd massively reduce America's power and international stature? Because the vast majority of Americans living in the South don't want to secede? Because the South is increasingly economically important?

I'm genuinely curious of what sort of economic power the South currently has (aside from Texas). Considering we (or at least I) was taught in middle and high school history classes was that the North had industrial might and that has only exponentiated over the decades. I mean there's no San Francisco in the South is there?

You forget the Midwest is full of red states too. It's not that simple anymore mr gut feeling

That doesn't matter. The loss of the south would push "North USA" pretty far to the left on a national level unless you think the GOP would still be as successful with their current rhetoric.

Speevy

Banned
Reality does not conform to things people on television say!

I'll bet all them Californians are like those liberal movie stars! Prove me wrong NEOGAF!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
yeah, because everyone in the south thinks like this.

what the fuck

kamakazi5

Please don't lump all of us in with some vocal idiots.

Please don't lump all of us in with some vocal idiots.

I'm not. However, if that kind of rhetoric works on a national level currently, do you think it would fail in a country comprised only of the Southern US? I think a lot of posters assume I'm stereotyping the South, but I'm only acknowledging the political demographics there and making a projection as to how such a place would govern. If you feel there would be any sort of liberal majority anywhere, I'm interested in hearing why.

MC Safety

Because the answer is not differences = secession.

We are one country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom