• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why not let the Southern US be its own country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

I think Seanspeed is getting it though. And some others might not be.

The pressure and keeping them in check is better than cutting them loose and letting whatever happens happens, which would be mayhem. Like it or not, the only way to move away from this is to move forward, and that doesn't mean running away, it actually means confronting history and the past. Making things right by everyone.

If we learn the lesson of common brotherhood and fellowship, it could start a new cultural renaissance of synergy and cooperation, where humanity itself actually starts to move forward. Right now the entire planet is tense, competitive, and negative. But more and more people are realizing that it doesn't have to be that way.

RELAYER

Banned
I think the idea that the North is some shining utopian beacon that is single-handily keeping the South "in check" from devolving into chaos and lynching is a fallacy at best and trolling at worst.

akira28

I think the idea that the North is some shining utopian beacon that is single-handily keeping the South "in check" from devolving into chaos and lynching is a fallacy at best and trolling at worst.

I said mayhem. Funny you go direct to race war. I was thinking more like bread and grocery lines for certain harder to get commodities, breakdowns in services, lots of medical care confusion, etc.

I'm trying to talk about co-unitive synergy and you're worried about this ivory tower you're determined to pen people up in when they talk about the south. Someone needs to keep something in check, does that concept make you feel threatened because you certainly seemed to lash out against it. Check doesn't have to be about control, it could be about balance.

But yes lets frame it in another way.
And pretty hilarious

it is quite funny yes

Rafterman

Banned

No, the sad thing is that these people are absolutely serious.

cajunator

Banned
I said mayhem. Funny you go direct to race war. I was thinking more like bread and grocery lines for certain harder to get commodities, breakdowns in services, lots of medical care confusion, etc.

I'm trying to talk about co-unitive synergy and you're worried about this ivory tower you're determined to pen people up in when they talk about the south. Someone needs to keep something in check, does that concept make you feel threatened because you certainly seemed to lash out against it. Check doesn't have to be about control, it could be about balance.

But yes lets frame it in another way.

it is quite funny yes

The north is indeed funny.

akira28

it all has an amusing quality to it if one has the discernment.

your humor will not supersede mine. I won't allow it.

JJMorris

As someone from Georgia, just wow. Thank you for your lack of camaraderie as an American., just because there are a few individuals who have different views from yours. Why not annex the rest.

Opiate

The biggest ideological divide, to me, does not seem to be north/south. It seems to be urban/rural.

Whatever perception there is of north/south differences are mostly a consequence of the fact that more large cities are in the north. If Alabama or Mississippi had even a single large city (let's say 1.5M+), I'm confident this would change our perceptions of them.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Bread lines? Get the fuck out of here if you expect anyone to believe you were talking about breadlines here:
The pressure and keeping them in check is better than cutting them loose and letting whatever happens happens, which would be mayhem. Like it or not, the only way to move away from this is to move forward, and that doesn't mean running away, it actually means confronting history and the past. Making things right by everyone.

akira28

Bread lines? Get the fuck out of here if you expect anyone to believe you were talking about breadlines here:

mayhem means breadlines my good friend. the confrontation of past is how we move forward. two separate points, I think.

I mean I'll fight you about it or anything else, but I'm not trying to or looking to.

The biggest ideological divide, to me, does not seem to be north/south. It seems to be urban/rural.

Whatever perception there is of north/south differences are mostly a consequence of the fact that more large cities are in the north. If Alabama or Mississippi had even a single large city (let's say 1.5M+), I'm confident this would change our perceptions of them.
This is indeed the case. The only difference between blue states and red states is that blue states have a large enough city to beat out the rural voters; here is a map of the continental USA showing political affiliation by county:
Gastner_map_purple_byarea_bycounty.png
Notice that the blue counties are generally ones that contain large cities or are more urbanized. Also of note is the fact that most of the counties are "purple".
In any case, the entire premise of this thread is completely asinine; it has merely served to show how ignorant many people apparently are about their own country.

akira28

and before you reply back, with some useful sarcasm that totally grasps the point, breadlines without bread turn into what?

Torquill

I think you'll find those predisposed to theocracy are not solely (or even mostly) found in the south. The U.S. Midwest says hello.

cajunator

Banned
This is indeed the case. The only difference between blue states and red states is that blue states have a large enough city to beat out the rural voters; here is a map of the continental USA showing political affiliation by county:

Notice that the blue counties are generally ones that contain large cities or are more urbanized. Also of note is the fact that most of the counties are "purple".
In any case, the entire premise of this thread is completely asinine; it has merely served to show how ignorant many people apparently are about their own country.

There are no counties in Louisiana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom