• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why the PC Should Become The Home Base for Every HardCore Gamer

TreIII

As long as the PC is still not a serious contender for staying up to date with fighting games (much less games of the non-Capcom variety)? I don't see the PC ever becoming my "home base".

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
No thanks. I don't have the money to spend on PC. Devs are already on board with the current and next gen gaming consoles.

I tried, I bought Mass Effect 3 (figured I'd finish out the series), HDMI-out to my 60", had the Xbox controller all ready to go ... and ... no 360 controller support without doing some bullshit mapping.

Yeah. I don't mind PC gaming, but it's the little shit that just bothers the fuck out of me like this.

StevieP

Banned
Who are you kidding here OP? Even physical copies are often tied to DRM platforms these days, and no you absolutely don't have any choice when it come to that. If you bought a Ubisoft from Steam you're forced to use Uplay to be able to play it, same goes for GWFL games and Origin exclusives too. I like the PC platfrom but honestly this is the biggest problem about PC gaming today imo. Cost, convenience, controls etc are all problems that can be solved in a way or another, but If someone can't deal with DRM I would definitely advice them to stay away from PC gaming.

So the Wii u will be your only 8th gen console in this case? (Btw - lots of drm free games on PC)

nbthedude

Who are you kidding here OP? Even physical copies are often tied to DRM platforms these days, and no you absolutely don't have any choice when it come to that. If you bought a Ubisoft from Steam you're forced to use Uplay to be able to play it, same goes for GWFL games and Origin exclusives too. I like the PC platfrom but honestly this is the biggest problem about PC gaming today imo. Cost, convenience, controls etc are all problems that can be solved in a way or another, but If someone can't deal with DRM I would definitely advice them to stay away from PC gaming.

You have a choice because you can support individual games or wait until they come out with DRM free versions. On console you are stuck with whatever the default DRM of the console is.

For example:

-Ubisoft had crappy Securo ROM DRM in their games, then last year the removed it.

-Humble Bundles generally come with DRM free and Steam versions of all games.

-Some Steam games have Steamworks DRM, some do not.

-Most indie games are available directly from the creator's website DRM free or conveniently available on Steam.

-All games on GOG are DRM free versions.

It isn't simply "You have a gaming PC now you have to put up with Gaming PC DRM." Some games have DRM, some games have none. Some games have it on one digital store platform but not on another. Some have it when they are released and then remove it later. On console it's all standardized. You have no choice.

Pegasos123

I love all the pc indie games but playing on the pc isnt apealing for me because of the hardware prices, mouse & keyboard are imo not so confortable as controllers (i know many games support them) and the fakt that you have a huge tower which isnt so easy to transport. also PCs are loud (the ones i had) :-/

Back then i had plenty of problems with tower PCs ... cooling issues, noise, not enough raw power for games like oblivion etc :D

i hope that all the indie developers make their game also for ps4

fertygo

Lack of "Japanese game" kill my interest, unless you mean eroge and such.

I have the most fun in PC "Gaming" in emulation lol

If we start going into the completely digital always-online DRM space, I'm moving to PC.

The reason being that I know, no matter when or how I upgrade that I'll always be able to access my games through the same box/machine.

patapuf

There are very few games that can't be cracked. And for the vast majority of them it takes 2 minutes.

Yes Boss!

But what about the Nintendo titles?

I've always been curious about PC gaming but for me it seems a bit too complex. I have been keeping an eye on the console-type PC setups like the Alienware but it is still too complex for me. Though, I am in my late thirties and have never owned a PC so far in all my years.

In the past 5 years I've rarely had any issues playing pc games at launch. And if there is an issue 90% of the time a restart of the pc fixes that. Other times a quick google leads to a ini file tweak, and it works perfectly.

When something goes wrong on console games (which is more and more often these days), you pretty much just gotta twiddle your thumbs until a patch comes weeks later.

The lack of jrpgs suck... but lets be honest, they are pretty much all terrible these days. Just get a 3ds if you really need a taste... or better yet, ps2, ps1, snes emulators that make the jrpgs of the past the bestest they can be.

pc is aight.

Sethos

Banned
It's pretty depressing. I spent over an hour on that OP and seemingly nobody reads it. It's just the same old PC vs. console memes going back and forth.

Don't worry, that is how it works on NeoGAF. There's especially this crusade against PC-elitists as some of us are branded, for liking the PC and arguing for it to a point where certain individuals follow you around in various threads just to call you out. I do very much agree with your points but it's just one big game of pros and cons which is perceived different for each individual. Also what is important to you as a gamer.

When I hear modding, I think of endless amounts of free content that can add hundreds of hours to a game I already own, make it look better, turn it into a better game.

For others they just think of a big hassle, downloading, installing, working out any problems and ultimately they don't feel it's worth their time.

When I hear 30FPS / 720p, I cringe and get these flashing images on my retina of low-resolution games with lots of jaggies that feels very sluggish.

For some they aren't sensitive to that stuff, they can perfectly play with and enjoy 30FPS and sit far enough away for 720p ( less / more ) to never bother them.

When I think about PC building, I get this warm feeling of being able to buy a lot of great hardware at the price point I want and can scale the performance with the price, plus I'm able to make my PC faster whenever I want.

For others it's about figuring out what to buy, having someone built it perhaps or go through building your first PC which can be scary. Plus it probably seems very expensive as that latest AMD Afterburner Thrustmaster X2000 is like $600!!

When I think PC exclusives, I just think simulators, lots of niche and indie titles and games that allow for a greater visual range and control scheme.

For others they are most likely just boring games and it's certainly no <Insert Y console exclusive>

And the list goes on, and on ...

What most people react on is when you call out a superiority to any of these opinions, like that's what the hardcore would choose or that's the 'best option' you will naturally fall into the same old comfy couch / PC abilities discussions.

Oh and some want the best of both worlds, get a console and a PC, gets to enjoy everything :p

Someone show me how to successfully build my own PC as I have no knowledge on how to along with showing me how to correctly maintain it. Also I don't want to pay a £1000 and ill adopt your philosophy.

Can you build Lego?

Because assembling a PC nowadays is about as difficult as making a Lego construction
just with much more expensive bricks

It also shouldn't cost you £1000 unless you're going extremely high end.

That's the beauty of customisation. You can go as high end as you feel your budget can handle.

Building and maintaining a gaming PC is something I don't enjoy.

I just want to buy a title and play it. Don't want another hobby on top of my hobby.

iNvid02

No thanks, PC sucks.

UF9wwZh.gif

You have a choice because you can support individual games or wait until they come out with DRM free versions. On console you are stuck with whatever the default DRM of the console is.

For example:

-Ubisoft had crappy Securo ROM DRM in their games, then last year the removed it.

-Humble Bundles generally come with DRM free and Steam versions of all games.

-Some Steam games have Steamworks DRM, some do not.

-Most indie games are available directly from the creator's website DRM free or conveniently available on Steam.

-All games on GOG are DRM free versions.

It isn't simply "You have a gaming PC now you have to put up with Gaming PC DRM." Some games have DRM, some games have none. Some games have it on one digital store platform but not on another. Some have it when they are released and then remove it later. On console it's all standardized. You have no choice.

Sure but what if someone wanted to play BF3, ME3 or Dark Souls on PC? What if someone just don't want to deal with Steam at all? What about Diablo 3? DRM is a real problem on PC, it's really the only thing that I dislike about PC gaming tbh.

Building and maintaining a gaming PC is something I don't enjoy.

Out of interest, what in your mind does maintaining a PC consist of?

Compelling argument there.

Right now the PC and 3DS combo is doing pretty well for me.

Isn't that the dude always in WiiU threads talking about how underpowered it is?

EDIT:
Sure but what if someone wanted to play BF3, ME3 or Dark Souls on PC? What if someone just don't want to deal with Steam at all? What about Diablo 3?

notsureifserious.gif

Durante

Sure but what if someone wanted to play BF3, ME3 or Dark Souls on PC? What if someone just don't want to deal with Steam at all? What about Diablo 3? DRM is a real problem on PC, it's really the only thing that I dislike about PC gaming tbh.
But consoles are by their very definition hardware DRM.

Isn't that the dude always in WiiU threads talking about how underpowered it is?
That's an interesting type of gamer, the one that thinks that Nintendo platforms are too underpowered but the other consoles are just right -- exactly up to the point where their successors are released.

BigDug13

Drivers, crashes, experimenting with settings, performance issues like microstutter, Dual GPU builds in-general etc... This is a level of troubleshooting completely foreign in the console gaming space, not everyone wants to fucking edit an .ini file or figure out how to force Triple buffering with D3Dovverider for a smooth experience. People just want to put a disc in the tray and have it work, it's a very understandable sentiment.

Edit:I guess sticking to steam alone helps, but I don't limit myself to any one service on PC. And as I've mentioned, the problems don't bother me much.

Most games have fairly good benchmark tests to automatically set you up with the best settings for your system to have the smoothest experience. You don't really have to do things like tweak your .ini's like you used to. Experimenting with settings is now something you do because you want to and not because you have to. Drivers and crashes? I haven't even bothered to check to see if a new video driver was out for my laptop (which is also my gaming pc) and I've been trouble free for all games that I've played for well over a year now.

Daingurse

Cleaning the dust trays, running anti-virus software? Haha that's all that comes to mind for me.

Most games have fairly good benchmark tests to automatically set you up with the best settings for your system to have the smoothest experience. You don't really have to do things like tweak your .ini's like you used to. Experimenting with settings is now something you do because you want to and not because you have to. Drivers and crashes? I haven't even bothered to check to see if a new video driver was out for my laptop (which is also my gaming pc) and I've been trouble free for all games that I've played for well over a year now.

You play new-releases? Because I can't get away with that shit for new releases, performance gains are too great.

Yes Boss!

In my mind, it means looking for patches, updates, keeping it virus-free, etc. And making sure everything constantly works connecting it to your HDTV. Worrying about resolutions, fitting. Making sure you have controller settings mapped properly for each game (since would have no desire to play at a desk with a keyboard and mouse). Since I like older games, making sure they get emulated properly and conform to the screen. For mame-like stuff, making sure they play in the cabinet properly. Boot up times. Keeping the OS software current and well as being able to keep legacy OS current. Hard stuff to maintain. I'm having trouble updating flash on my crazy old Mac here.

nbthedude

Someone show me how to successfully build my own PC as I have no knowledge on how to along with showing me how to correctly maintain it. Also I don't want to pay a £1000 and ill adopt your philosophy.

Easy and done.

For choosing parts, the OP in this thread is amazing and anyone in it will help you make customizations and suggestions:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509570

It has charts that you can use as a template according to whatever budget you want to spend starting as low as $417 for the "Budget" build.

As for the building process, here are two great videos. As others have said, it is pretty close to putting legos together as there is really only one place and one way most parts can go in.

My friend who just built his first gaming PC two months ago? He did it by himself using those videos. I was suppose to help him when I came to town but he didn't want to wait. He didn't even know what a harddrive looked like or what it really was before using those videos. They are pretty step by step.

http://techreport.com/review/23624/how-to-build-a-pc-the-tech-report-guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

They even start by just explaining what all the parts are and how they work.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
As a PC gamer that tries to keep relatively current hardware, I can understand the appeal of the game console. While I do think commonly cited PC gaming "issues" are at this point exaggerated, game consoles do what they're intended to do very well.

Having said that, I do think a people can be unreasonable if they harp about graphics and their "high standards" while simultaneously demanding game consoles be twisted to fit the desires of the so-called graphics whore.

That isn't what consoles are for. They're mass-market products designed to provide a balance of value, features, and accessibility.

Mesoian

As long as the PC is still not a serious contender for staying up to date with fighting games (much less games of the non-Capcom variety)? I don't see the PC ever becoming my "home base".

Word. Capcom and NetherRealm need to step up their PC game.

In my mind, it means looking for patches, updates, keeping it virus-free, etc. And making sure everything constantly works connecting it to your HDTV. Worrying about resolutions, fitting. Making sure you have controller settings mapped properly for each game (since would have no desire to play at a desk with a keyboard and mounse). Since I like older games, making sure they get emulated properly and conform to the screen. For mame-like stuff, making sure they play in the cabinet properly. Boot up times. Keeping the software OS software current and well as being able to keep legacy OS current. Hard stuff to maintain. I'm having trouble updating flash on my crazy old Mac here.

It's not so difficult anymore. I understand where you're coming from, and it can be tough for some games prior to this generation. But PC gaming is pretty simple now. I won't say "It just works", but you can get the most out of your games with relative ease now a days. And most of the time, if you just plug in a 360 controller, you're good to go.

Tain

traveler said:
I would have assumed you already left the console market and followed them to handhelds anyway.

But the very best Japanese games this generation have mostly been arcade/console, not handheld.

Dec

First party console games are not the only console exclusives.

It's entirely possible for a seriously dedicated game enthusiast to have somewhat narrow tastes and not be interested in any of the games that are exclusive to console or exclusive to PC. Those with the means and a wider taste will likely find it hard to pass on these exclusives.

I'm aware, I meant console exclusives. 100% of my playtime the past few months have been MMOs, Mobas, ARPGS, or RPGs that are exclusive to PC. My point, is that I play games as much as any of the so called "Hardcore" gamers, yet the statement that all hardcore gamers have every platform always comes up.

I do not consider myself to have narrow tastes, I just dislike the control scheme on consoles enough that any game with aiming is written off, leaving a small amount left, and those I generally have no interest in.

Sethos

Banned
In my mind, it means looking for patches, updates, keeping it virus-free, etc. And making sure everything constantly works connecting it to your HDTV. Worrying about resolutions, fitting. Making sure you have controller settings mapped properly for each game (since would have no desire to play at a desk with a keyboard and mounse). Since I like older games, making sure they get emulated properly and conform to the screen. For mame-like stuff, making sure they play in the cabinet properly. Boot up times. Keeping the software OS software current and well as being able to keep legacy OS current. Hard stuff to maintain. I'm having trouble updating flash on my crazy old Mac here.

I can safely say, your thoughts about this stuff is way, way overblown.

Maybe 12 years ago.

I lol'ed.

edit: oh, I see, that's just for you.
Haha, yuuuuup.
Yeah maybe this is better now. But this was certainly very much true some years ago. It was very frustrating sometimes.
I'll admit i might not be the most tecnphnical person when it comes to pc's but i know my way around and i still wanted to throw it out of the window at times..

I guess a lot is improved since en but i share that feeling.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
But consoles are by their very definition hardware DRM.
I don't even understand that. The majority of sales for a console platform are pressed discs that you can take out of your system and sell.

The definition of DRM is that it restricts the control you have over digital content after a sale took place.
Current consoles suck at DRM if their objective was to restrict me from doing what I wanted with my games.

That's an interesting type of gamer, the one that thinks that Nintendo platforms are too underpowered but the other consoles are just right -- exactly up to the point where their successors are released.
While I think his post is absolute garbage, attribution that statement to him seems completely made up.
How do you know he didn't think PS3/360 graphics have been shit for 2 years already?

Yes Boss!

Likely, but as I said, I can't even get Flash updated on my Mac right now. I just don't have the knowledge of how PCs work. I am finally using one at work and learning how they work and stuff, though. I definitely feel one belongs in everybody's gaming center, though. And would like to add one.

Top Bottom