• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why was there backlash for DmC Dante? He was just as good.

I just thought the change was a bit shit. Didn't like the vibe it gave off, despite the character being a lot more tolerable in the game than I thought he'd be initially. I personally liked Dante from DMC4 the best. Just the right amount of hammy cheese and attitude for me! Plus he looked more like a grizzled hunk than he did in previous games, which is a bonus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68cV_jlrivw

Weiss

Banned
I actually remember discussing this with people on another forum about "what if DmC was it's own game" rather than a DMC game. I ended up coming to the conclusion that the outcome would be the same. I mean if you think about it.
Say DmC came out under a different name such as "Demon Slayer", It would've been called a rip-off of DMC. When I see games often being compared to other games and then called a rip-off/poor mans version of (See Castlevania-Ripping off-God of War and many many other games) then the similarities between DmC and DMC are actually pretty close.

To go back to the comparison of Demon Slayer and DMC4,
"Oh well look at this rip-off DMC game. A cocky protagonist spouting one liners. He has a sword, gun, shotgun and can switch weapons on the fly. The protagonist even has a brother and has to take out the big main villain. Their parents are dead and now the protagonists are some weird hybrid thing. The game even ripped-off DMC with it's combo ranking system and Horde Mode/Bloody Palace system whee you take on waves of enemies"

Obviously that's a hypothetical argument so you can never know if that would ever happen. But the amount of times I see games being referred to as: it's [insert game as a base foundation] with elements of [insert mechanics from other game/Earthbound], or just flat out calling it a rip-off from another game wouldn't surprise me if DmC under a different name would've really made much of a difference. There isn't really much winning.

"Demon Slayer" wouldn't exist at the expense of the original series, which is where a lot of the complaints came from.

DmC on its own merits was okay, as complex as western character action games get. Maybe those good bits came from being based on one of the greatest action series ever, but I think a lot of the original elements of the game worked too.

Zomba13

And people weren't excited at the prospect of Ninja Theory making it when it was just a rumor. Because they'd played Enslaved and Heavenly Sword, and those aren't exactly examples of the kind of combat people had come to expect from the Devil May Cry franchise.

Plus, when all you've got to go on is this new look Dante, it's a DMC reboot and it's done by NT and you don't have any gameplay then what else are you going to do? Just go "oh" and then ignore it? They released the trailer and redesign to get people talking so people talked, some liked it ("omg he's soooo hawt <3") and others hated it ("ewww he looks like a punk rock reject hobo druggie") and some thinking that maybe NT weren't a good fit for DMC regardless of what they thought of the aesthetics.

Like, you can't say shit like "people didn't like it when all they saw was a trailer!" because while yeah, some people made their minds up right there purely on looks others were hesitant for different reasons and if the devs didn't want people talking then they wouldn't have released anything until they had a proper gameplay demo to show!

TreIII

Obviously that's a hypothetical argument so you can never know if that would ever happen. But the amount of times I see games being referred to as: it's [insert game as a base foundation] with elements of [insert mechanics from other game/Earthbound], or just flat out calling it a rip-off from another game wouldn't surprise me if DmC under a different name would've really made much of a difference. There isn't really much winning.

Maybe. But I think a "rip off"/"homage", would have at least had the chance to develop into being its own beast in full, and would have incited a whole other realm of discussion because it would mean any prospective audience would have a different set of expectations in mind. At best, it could have been another Bayonetta type of situation, where this individual game inspires its own following. At worst, it would have been an interesting one-off.

And if nothing else, as Weiss stated, in a case like this, its existence wouldn't have been at the expense of the main DMC games.

"Demon Slayer" wouldn't exist at the expense of the original series, which is where a lot of the complaints came from.

DmC on its own merits was okay, as complex as western character action games get. Maybe those good bits came from being based on one of the greatest action series ever, but I think a lot of the original elements of the game worked too.

Yeah, completely true. But like I said before, based on the hypothetical situation that DmC did come out under a different name as a new IP, I'm sure the comparisons would start showing in that DmC and DMC are very similar. New games even now are being called rip-offs or being compared to another game.

Sesha

I actually remember discussing this with people on another forum about "what if DmC was it's own game" rather than a DMC game. I ended up coming to the conclusion that the outcome would be the same. I mean if you think about it.
Say DmC came out under a different name such as "Demon Slayer", It would've been called a rip-off of DMC. When I see games often being compared to other games and then called a rip-off/poor mans version of (See Castlevania-Ripping off-God of War and many many other games) then the similarities between DmC and DMC are actually pretty close.

To go back to the comparison of Demon Slayer and DMC4,
"Oh well look at this rip-off DMC game. A cocky protagonist spouting one liners. He has a sword, gun, shotgun and can switch weapons on the fly. The protagonist even has a brother and has to take out the big main villain. Their parents are dead and now the protagonists are some weird hybrid thing. The game even ripped-off DMC with it's combo ranking system and Horde Mode/Bloody Palace system whee you take on waves of enemies"

Well, remember that many of the series typical elements only made it in because it's a DMC game, for example like TribladeX mentioned at one point Ebony and Ivory was to be just a single six-shooter, it's likely DmC would have looked even less like DMC if it was it's own thing. I doubt the response would have been comparable.

Considering the entire point of DmC was to broaden the appeal of the franchise, if the lower sales killed the franchise it's because DmC failed to appeal to said wider audience.

It's not like two other games in the genre released near when it did to hamper sales, though both of which it outdid critically. And they all sold low for their respective series.

Genre decline.

OP you probably like the emo-Peter Parker from Spider-Man 3, don't you?

Ok that was below the belt. :p I actually like "New Dante" a lot.

I-hate-u

DmC Dante and Vergil turned me off from the trailers and videos to the point of not wanting to play the game, and I am a huge DMC fan. These are not the characters I know and love.

And I know they fixed the gameplay up for DE, and I was going to pull the trigger and buy it, but man, these characters and the world are just off putting to me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's not like two other games in the genre released near when it did to hamper sales, though both of which it outdid critically. And they all sold low for their respective series.

Genre decline.

There really isn't enough data to suggest overall genre decline was the main contributor to DmC's middling sales. MGR was basically a new and untested IP, and God of War Ascension's initial sales suffered from the middling fan reception of God of War 3.

Vanilla DMC4 continued to sell that entire time to get up to 3,000,000 total, DMCHD sold a million (which is a remarkable milestone for an HD collection), and DMC4SE sales were a highlight in the latest Capcom fiscal report. These were all in the same time period post-DmC.

We'll just have to see once DMC5 comes out.

Dahbomb

DMC5 will probably sell less than DMC4 but more than DmC. So somewhere between 2 and 3 million.

Not sure if that will denote a genre decline or not. There hasn't really been any high profile action games in the same sub genre for the next generation yet.

Sesha

Genre decline.

Said decline doesn't conclusively exist because all the evidence of the supposed decline were outliers:

DmC (alt-universe reboot that nobody asked for)
MGR (spin-off. Received less marketing than numbered entries. Still one of the best-selling non GoWs in the genre)
GoW:A (non-numbered midquel)
TW101 (good luck guessing why this didn't sell)
Bayo2 (ditto as above)

Since you brought up the idea of MGR and Ascension hampering sales for DmC, it's possible the three could have cannibalized each other. Though I really doubt Ascension could have had any real impact on DmC considering it launched 2 months later. Hell, maybe Tomb Raider negatively impacted Ascension's sales. Who knows. It's all speculative.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Though I really doubt Ascension could have had any real impact on DmC considering it launched 2 months later.

In fact DmC had the absolute best release window. There was zero competition during the month of February. No big releases at all.

nded

In fact DmC had the absolute best release window. There was zero competition during the month of February. No big releases at all.

DmC was January, I think. Its biggest competition in the genre would have been Anarchy Reigns until MGR showed up a month later.

Shirow

Banned
I only played the demo and thought the game was awesome. I always kind of question why they changed Dante in the first place though.

I think the problem was that there was no issue with the original Dante in the first place. I don't recall anyone ever complaining about the character, so the whole "let's change it because we can" ordeal backfired on their face.

Gameplay seemed tight, too bad the dev killed their own game with their own stubbornness. Didn't fans literally say: "we are not buying if you do this" months before release if I can recall correctly?

nded

Gameplay seemed tight, too bad the dev killed their own game with their own stubbornness. Didn't fans literally say: "we are not buying if you do this" months before release if I can recall correctly?

I think the plan was to trade up to a bigger audience, with or without the old fans. Didn't pan out as they had hoped.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Speaking strictly about the character Dante himself and not the overall gameplay, I greatly prefer DmC's Dante than any of Capcom's Dante. Especially when compared to the similar age Dante in 3. DmC's Dante is much more likable for me.

Also, just a side note, I always view people that use the word Donte to refer to DmC's Dante as a person that fits perfectly with the lame childish-gamer stereotype. You folks that are doing this are probably way more try-hard than all versions of Dantes.

Sesha

DmC is a

#RIPGT

Iorv3th

So just started playing DmC after putting it off from not liking how NT acted about the franchise in the past.

This has to be the worst installment I have played so far. Now this isn't the definitive edition (because for some reason you have to pay extra for that on steam if you own the original), but after playing the first level this is so simplistic and just bare bones for combat. Playing on normal but I basically just played through the first level and got a SSS ranking without even trying and had not even a chance of losing.

Don't really have a problem with new dante yet though, but the gameplay....

Guess Who

Banned
So just started playing DmC after putting it off from not liking how NT acted about the franchise in the past.

This has to be the worst installment I have played so far. Now this isn't the definitive edition (because for some reason you have to pay extra for that on steam if you own the original), but after playing the first level this is so simplistic and just bare bones for combat. Playing on normal but I basically just played through the first level and got a SSS ranking without even trying and had not even a chance of losing.

Don't really have a problem with new dante yet though, but the gameplay....

You get much more combat variety later on (four new melee weapons and two more guns which can be switched between on the fly, all with their own movelist), and the ranking system was considerably toughened up in DE.

The DE is also PS4/XBO only, no PC release.

Iorv3th

You get much more combat variety later on (four new melee weapons and two more guns which can be switched between on the fly, all with their own movelist), and the ranking system was considerably toughened up in DE.

The DE is also PS4/XBO only, no PC release.

Well that sucks.

Beatrix

Yeah I found the new DMC to be just fine. I actually thought the redesign was good, and the game was pretty fun itself. Played it on PS3 and PC, enjoyed it a lot both times.

DE is essentially vanilla with all the popular mods installed plus a few more.

Too bad DMC nexus or whatever pretty much locked all mods behind a pay wall. 100% turbo mode with Vergil was god like.

Keihart

Dante changed like going from a Clint Eastwood like protagonist to something like Punkish Justing Beiver or something.

Old Dante is timeless cool, like Spike Spiegel. New Dante is not.

Also gameplay is easier than Gow, wich if compared with past DMC games is esteping down a lot.

The new Dante desing is almost an avatar of the Director, wich in my view says a lot of the kind of game they wanted to make, i think it could have been worst, but it seems capcom made a lot of tweaks in the last stretch
uT1sJ.jpg

That Dante is fro the first trailers, the point stands i think.

Monocle

Looks like first post nailed it.

I enjoyed it - finished it last month.
Anyone who agrees with the first post is flat out uninformed. Like what you like, but don't invent strawmen to explain why fans opposed the reboot. It poisons the discussion to throw your support behind disingenuous claims.

Top Bottom