• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keyouta said:
nintendojps77.jpg

If this is anywhere close to the real thing I'd imagine that the sides are detachable.

47YbU.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ookami-kun said:
Do they always report plenty of announcements during their fiscal meetings?

Yes/No. Depends on what they have to report. Sometimes new games pop up.

The thing with this one is that Wii sales have slumped significantly, and there's basically no known software coming from Nintendo other than Zelda. Since this meeting is targeted at investors, they cant very well go "Oh yeah sales suck ass, sucks huh?". They have to secure support from investors, and prove they have the future planned out.

Thus, most people assume that Project Cafe will be officially confirmed to some extent at this meeting. It's the most reliable way to keep investors investing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ookami-kun said:
Do they always report plenty of announcements during their fiscal meetings?
We find out about a lot of games in them.

Pandora's Tower, Kirby Wii 2 (From HAL), Wii Party, and The Last Story all showed up in fiscal calls off the top of my head.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
PantherLotus said:
Wait wait wai...what's not a mature technology? Touch screens? Streaming? You can't be serious.

Perfect streaming to assuming 4-displays with no lag, and problem free, yes that would be impressive.

And no, there is no standard for that yet and they all have their downsides.

Someone probably mentioned this before, but has anyone thought of the idea of the controller opening and closing up. For example, the controller would close up to be a normal controller, but when opening it up, it would have the screen kinda like a flip phone, or a flat box.

Christine

PantherLotus said:
Really what? I'm afraid you're going to mention declining opinion polls, but that may be too meta for the rest of this audience.

Nintendo rates especially low among tigers and six year old white males.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
DECK'ARD said:
Perfect streaming to assuming 4-displays with no lag, and problem free, yes that would be impressive.

And no, there is no standard for that yet and they all have their downsides.

I didn't think it was possible, but you simultaneously hold too-high expectations and too-low of expectations, and will disappointed by one and impressed by the other. With absolutely no knowledge of pretty much anything, I'd suggest to lower your expectations on how many things will actually be streaming at once, and raise your expectations for current standards.

We're not seeing Crysis on 4-5-6 screens at once, guys. But to pretend like tablets and streaming video (from a tethered PC/Console/Broadcast device) are in their infancy is just silly.

Shadowlink said:
Someone probably mentioned this before, but has anyone thought of the idea of the controller opening and closing up. For example, the controller would close up to be a normal controller, but when opening it up, it would have the screen kinda like a flip phone, or a flat box.

If a touch screen were on the top half of a flipping device like that, it would probably not be very stable. That is, you'd press it just a little too hard and you could break it. Unless you engineered the crap out of it, which you'd think they would've already done on a DS system, which does flip open like that.

PantherLotus said:
I think you guys should read what Amir0x writes more often. You can probably forget about the WiiMotes altogether, honestly. The pointer is obviously dead, and touch screens killed it. And forget about Move and Kinect -- if you haven't really seen or absorbed that Nintendo doesn't really base decisions off of their competitors, you're not really paying attention.

And to suggest that any of this is based on 3rd party support? I'd say going back to a traditional control system with a nice fat tablet in between the main buttons is the way to get that back, but seriously, Nintendo still doesn't really care about exclusives or w/e imaginary hard core 3rd party strategies you guys think up around here.

I dunno. I just think a lot of you guys aren't seeing the big picture here, and are assuming this is actually Wii2, and not a brand new Nintendo console. Maybe it'll have motion, but I'd take a decently large bet that the console isn't built around that at all. I could be very wrong.

I'm agreeing with you that a pointer device is probably not going to get the third party support. I agree that the stagnant "no gimmicks" thinking at third parties means we're getting a variation on dual analog, touchscreen or not.

But you asked "Why are you worrying about motion?" So I answered. I'm worrying because pointer controls are awesome, better than dual analog, and if this is the proposed standard controller, then I agree with you that this isn't going to encourage pointer/motion controls at all.

Shadowlink said:

Reports from sources all say its like a tablet, so no fold. Then again, its still being worked on so it could still change.

Krowley

truth-lasers said:

Could be something like that.

The tablet mentioned in the french article as being similar does have a wiimote embedded in it (although they don't say that's the specific aspect that's similar).

Lupin the Wolf said:
If a touch screen were on the top half of a flipping device like that, it would probably not be very stable. That is, you'd press it just a little too hard and you could break it. Unless you engineered the crap out of it, which you'd think they would've already done on a DS system, which does flip open like that.
Yeah, they would have to find some way of making it all work without causing any damage to the screen. I thought of the idea because of many complaining that the controller is too long for people to use. The flat box idea would workout for a lot of people, but could end up damaging the screen.

Instro

PantherLotus said:
And to suggest that any of this is based on 3rd party support? I'd say going back to a traditional control system with a nice fat tablet in between the main buttons is the way to get that back, but seriously, Nintendo still doesn't really care about exclusives or w/e imaginary hard core 3rd party strategies you guys think up around here.

I dunno. I just think a lot of you guys aren't seeing the big picture here, and are assuming this is actually Wii2, and not a brand new Nintendo console. Maybe it'll have motion, but I'd take a decently large bet that the console isn't built around that at all. I could be very wrong.

Wait, are you saying that Nintendo doesnt care about 3rd party support?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Freezie KO said:
I'm agreeing with you that a pointer device is probably not going to get the third party support. I agree that the stagnant "no gimmicks" thinking at third parties means we're getting a variation on dual analog, touchscreen or not.

But you asked "Why are you worrying about motion?" So I answered. I'm worrying because pointer controls are awesome, better than dual analog, and if this is the proposed standard controller, then I agree with you that this isn't going to encourage pointer/motion controls at all.

Well, the pointer thing is basically obsolete with touchscreen technology (save the wonky FPS implementations), I think. And maybe I'm wrong, but we've probably seen the peak of motion controls until we have a holodeck.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
PantherLotus said:
I didn't think it was possible, but you simultaneously hold too-high expectations and too-low of expectations, and will disappointed by one and impressed by the other. With absolutely no knowledge of pretty much anything, I'd suggest to lower your expectations on how many things will actually be streaming at once, and raise your expectations for current standards.

We're not seeing Crysis on 4-5-6 screens at once, guys. But to pretend like tablets and streaming video (from a tethered PC/Console/Broadcast device) are in their infancy is just silly.

It doesn't matter whether it's Crysis or Monkey Ball, streaming interactive video lives or dies by it's lag and the framerate you are going for. You can buffer non-interactive stuff like films, with games that is a no-no. And Nintendo wouldn't tolerate something like OnLive (not that it will be as bad as that of course, just saying that what some people find acceptable wouldn't be what Nintendo find acceptable).

If the controller is dumb, which we must assume it is for cost, then it will live or die by the performance of the streaming.

If Crysis was running on this thing, it would be rendering a traditional splitscreen and then firing out each quarter to each of the displays. The game is irrelevant, although you are crippling what the television itself would display while all this was going on.

Stellares said:
I totally predicted they were phasing out the television. I was going to post that but I thought it would be silly.

They arent though. Its the primary way to play the games. They are just adding interactivity outside it, not taking anything away.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Reports from sources all say its like a tablet, so no fold. Then again, its still being worked on so it could still change.
Oh! Didn't read into many of the controller rumors. Tablet would be pretty weird for a controller, but I guess we'll find out what they mean by tablet if rumors are indeed true.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
donny2112 said:
Okay, so the "new controller" seems like a supplemental controller, then.

* It'll be too expensive to be the main controller.
* It's designed for the streaming/take away from TV playing.
* Touch screen mimics Wiimote pointer.

I think the main controls when playing on TV will be Wiimote Plus + CCPro type controller. The "new controller" then would be able to reproduce those inputs (gyros in the "new controller" to mimic motion control parts?) on the go. This would work, and I like it! :D

That would mean that Wiimote+ is probably compatible with new games on the console, so don't need to buy all new controllers, too. :)
I'm thinking that the Wii will receive a new "next-gen" remote which will then be the standard remote for Project Cafe. It'll be their true answer to Move and Kinect and also tie the old and new console together.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Instro said:
Wait, are you saying that Nintendo doesnt care about 3rd party support?

Not at all. I'm saying that they don't build their systems to fit 3rd party needs or wishes, like Sony and Microsoft. They have little need for exclusives 3rd party titles, not that they won't try for them or that 3rd parties won't pursue them. I'm just saying that Nintendo isn't building Wii2 so they can finally get all that magical 3rd party support we've been waiting for.

If it comes, it will be because Nintendo makes a system which makes financial sense for 3rd parties to pursue, and by financial sense I mean focuses on and has a sizable version of their target segmented audience, has hardware that makes for easier ports, and has a nice profit/licensing model that makes sense for their projected sales.

JCRedeems

Banned
Diablos said:
Really, Nintendo? Really?

This is just a rumor. I personally don't put any stock into it. There is absolutely no way the next Wii can sell as many or consoles than the Wii with the rumored control. I bet Nintendo has something very special up their sleeve.

PantherLotus said:
Not at all. I'm saying that they don't build their systems to fit 3rd party needs or wishes, like Sony and Microsoft. They have little need for exclusives 3rd party titles, not that they won't try for them or that 3rd parties won't pursue them. I'm just saying that Nintendo isn't building Wii2 so they can finally get all that magical 3rd party support we've been waiting for.

If it comes, it will be because Nintendo makes a system which makes financial sense for 3rd parties to pursue, and by financial sense I mean focuses on and has a sizable version of their target segmented audiences, has hardware that makes for easier ports, and has a nice profit/licensing model that makes sense for their projected sales.

I feel like you contradict yourself there. All the reasons you mention in the second part explain exactly how Nintendo is building the wii 2 to cater to third parties while tweaking the design sideways again to differentiate themselves.

carlo6529

Out of all the rumours, one of the more believable ones is the fact that the system will be Wii compatible. Pointer controls will be back.

Foffy

Banned
I'm wondering how the streaming will work. It's cool that you can do it without the TV being on, but I don't see the point...unless the console doesn't plug into the TV, which would be absurd.

Oh well, 24 hours till Nintendo will probably address some of the rumors going on to investors.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maxrpg said:
In fact I might do a streaming party GAF video thing like that one time. Reactionzzz in real time in real life!
As a note, all that's likely to happen is a statement that says "We're unveiling the console at E3, and it has this kind of controller."

Most of it will be Iwata trying to explain why 3DS and Wii hardware shipments will stop being mediocre in the future.

Ashodin

Nirolak said:
As a note, all that's likely to happen is a statement that says "We're unveiling the console at E3, and it has this kind of controller."

Most of it will be Iwata trying to explain why 3DS and Wii hardware shipments will stop being mediocre in the future.
Hell reactions to even that can be hilarious~!

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Gamer @ Heart said:
I feel like you contradict yourself there. All the reasons you mention in the second part explain exactly how Nintendo is building the wii 2 to cater to third parties while tweaking the design sideways again to differentiate themselves.

Where's the bolded part coming from? Did I miss the news release that described exactly how Nintendo is building the Wii2?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
EpbJ8.jpg

Nintendo starts with the right foot: a proper Espresso instead of that puke-inducing 12oz of american black-water :p

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
carlo6529 said:
Out of all the rumours, one of the more believable ones is the fact that the system will be Wii compatible. Pointer controls will be back.

I'm sure they will be back -- on the touchscreen.

PantherLotus said:
Where's the bolded part coming from? Did I miss the news release that described exactly how Nintendo is building the Wii2?

No, just basing it of the rumors for now since neither of us have anything to go on.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
@John Tinker: posted, fake, no wires, nice render based on the IGN "leak"

Gamer @ Heart said:
No, just basing it of the rumors for now since neither of us have anything to go on.

Oh, ok. I was basing mine off of reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom