• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

Tarin02543 said:
I dread to think of the compression artifacts on that little screen.

xxRmZ.gif

Dude that is really creepy.

Anyway, what a boring letter that is. It sounds like they might at least show something tomorrow though.

StopMakingSense said:

TRANSLATION:

About the Wii's successor

A new video game machine to succeed the Wii, which has sold 86.01 million units from 2006 through the end of March 2011, will be released in 2012.

At the E3 exhibition in Los Angeles starting on June 7th, 2011, it will be presented in playable form, and we will announce its central features.

We do not anticipate that the Wii's successor will be released before the end of March, 2012.

EDIT: Beaten.

Complete version (I see timetokill still beat me, tho):

April 25, 2011

To whom it may concern:

Re: Wii's successor system

Nintendo Co. Ltd. has decided to launch in 2012 a system to succeed Wii, which the company has sold 86.01 million units on a consolidated shipment bass between its launch in 2006 and the end of March 2011.

We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held June 7-9, 2011, in Los Angeles.

Sales of this new system have not been included in the financial forecasts announced today for the fiscal term ending March 2012.

mj1108

Freezie KO said:
Playable at E3, but held off for a year? So weird.

It doesn't give a release date. Only that numbers are not included in numbers for the fiscal year. Could still happen later this year.

Sales of this new system have not been included in the financial forecasts announced today for the fiscal term ending March 2012.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
man has anybody translated that to english yet

and what about that french site? shame no one could translate that one either

mj1108 said:
It doesn't give a release date. Only that numbers are not included in numbers for the fiscal year. Could still happen later this year.

It does say that they plan to release it in 2012, though.

Edit: for the new page (though it's getting posted a lot! heh)

Nintendo Co., Ltd. has decided to launch in 2012 a system to succeed Wii, which the company has sold 86.01 million units on a consolidated shipment basis between its launch in 2006 and the end of March 2011.

We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held June 7-9, 2011, in Los Angeles.

antonz

Its interesting that they are hiding the name. Guessing it does give away plans because they didn't hide the 3DS name.

mj1108 said:

No release date, but I'd think if it was coming by March 2012, they'd want to let investors know. It'd make them happy.

Also, the rumors are saying by June 2012. So I guess they want one E3 with it playable? I just would've assumed if the release was April - June 2012, then they would've announced at E3 and done a playable "Spaceworld" event later this year or early next.

Sinoox

Banned
This still makes ZERO sense to me, what's the point of a screen on a controller? The reasons stated don't seem to be very worthwhile (no screen looking/have others play different games at once). Others have said it before, it's like a handheld and won't provide the experience many yearn for in their homes if using the TV isn't an option. I want to be able to hook my console up to a giant 50'' HDTV with 7.1 surround sound! That's the joy of gaming at home, the experience is just so much more robust.

Eh, well I'm at least interested. I just hope Nintendo hasn't gone mad from the success of the Wii. Maybe there's more to this and they know what they're doing...

I really just want a freaking HD Zelda game though!! Is that too much to ask, Nintendo?!!

antonz said:
Its interesting that they are hiding the name. Guessing it does give away plans because they didn't hide the 3DS name.

But they also even said what the 3DS did in that pre-announcement: "It displays stuff in 3D without glasses." But, then again, that's more mysterious and intriguing on a basic level than "It streams game content to a huge, tablet-based controller."

Let's see... the positioning of the whiskers, the shape of the rabbit's face and ear... position the last line between the eyes...
(I wouldn't be surprised if a hundred people already made this joke, but what the heck)
IEgZY.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
HOW MANY POTATOES DO WE NEED TO GET THIS RELEASED?

Hmmmm....... chuck in blu ray capabilities and you have my attention.

Probably getting a bit ahead of myself though, given Nintendo haven't released a dvd playback compatible console yet!

On the plus side, hopefully this will force ms/sony into action. Generation is getting stale, and lord knows motion control gaming isn't grabbing my interest.

Salsa

Sinoox said:
This still makes ZERO sense to me, what's the point of a screen on a controller? The reasons stated don't seem to be very worthwhile (no screen looking/have others play different games at once). Others have said it before, it's like a handheld and won't provide the experience many yearn for in their homes if using the TV isn't an option. I want to be able to hook my console up to a giant 50'' HDTV with 7.1 surround sound! That's the joy of gaming at home, the experience is just so much more robust.

Also, I just want a freaking HD Zelda game!! Is that too much to ask, Nintendo?!!

Eh, from the sound of it you can either play on the controller's screen or in your regular, bigger, HD television.

If the cost isnt super high, i think its brilliant and a somewhat natural way of moving forward. Either use it as an in-house handheld or as a home console.

ciD_Vain

Sinoox said:

Also, I just want a freaking HD Zelda game!! Is that too much to ask, Nintendo?!!
I'm pretty sure you'll be getting those.

Thoraxes

Oh man if it launches in June 2012, Happy Birthday to me!
Seriously, it'll probably launch on or very close to my birthday, which will help with cash somewhat, because hey, I get to treat myself to something nice for my birthday!

Can't wait till E3 now that it's confirmed to at least be there and playable.

Also i'm glad to see that they aren't rushing it, and giving the Wii another holiday season, probably with the new lower price-point that hasn't been totally confirmed yet, but will probably happen so they can deplete the rest of their stock. 86 million units is no joke, and I was honestly surprised it'd been that much over the past 5-6 years.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sinoox said:

Well there's obviously a bit of the jigsaw we are missing which will hopefully make it make more sense.

Shame they are content with us all going mad until E3 though.

Forkball

I can't wait till Iwata reveals the console and holds it up. That's always the best part of the new system announcements.

Dark Schala said:
Not weird. They just launched the 3DS, after all.

Regardless, I think my body is ready.

It's not weird to me that they're launching in 2012. I assumed that since the beginning. I'm just surprised it's playable this early.

The next month and a half will be torture.

Hopefully someone snaps a photo of the controller or something in the meantime...

<--- Peach's body is ready.

mj1108

sionyboy said:
On the plus side, hopefully this will force ms/sony into action. Generation is getting stale, and lord knows motion control gaming isn't grabbing my interest.

No doubt this will force their hands. The way this gen was going, it had felt like all 3 were just waiting for the other to say something about next gen first, with my guess being to ride out this gen as long as they could.

Zero-Crescent said:
Let's see... the positioning of the whiskers, the shape of the rabbit's face and ear... position the last line between the eyes...
(I wouldn't be surprised if a hundred people already made this joke, but what the heck)
IEgZY.gif
Can someone explain this "FK" meme to me? I've seen this everywhere.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I just hope that the later launch means they'll be forced to localize The Last Story to plug the gap. And maybe even...Pandora's Tower? Please?

I'm in Europe so I'm not worried about Xenoblade, but it would be nice for US people in NoA decide Wii needs more software for the holiday and bring it over too.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
artwalknoon said:
Yes! Finally an official confirmation! Now Nintendo blow me away (and please don't make a weak system)!

Well I wouldn't get your hopes up too much there if it's rendering for multiple displays. Best case scenario will be a GPU that does dual 1080p displays, with the second display being quartered for the controllers.

Still very taxing on the CPU though, which is never Nintendo's strong point in the first place.

At the moment this is all very ... odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom