• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlo6529

Game-Biz said:
Hmmm.......Lets connect the dots, shall we?

There's image of a rabbit in the cup.

A rabbit is a symbol of Easter.

Easter is in April.

The first prototype Blu-ray player was released in April in Japan, 8 years ago.

Count the number of circles in the cup of coffee in that picture.

Yep. 8.

Blu-ray confirmed for Wii 2.

Someone update the OP.

lol

independenceday-1_288x288.jpg

Glass Joe

Hmm. Sounds like one of the idea so far is that parents can watch TV while their kids play the console in their rooms with the controllers. I wonder how good the range on these things will turn out to be? Also, I hope that's more of a feature than the main selling point. I'm still hoping their strategy is going to be for the core gamer market (loads of power and priority on 3rd party support). I'll keep tabs as I'm a Nintendo guy, but not sure this concept is exactly exciting to me.

mj1108

Linkhero1 said:
I'm just wondering. Why are they using warioworld as a domain for their support group site?

It's been that way forever.

GoldenEye 007 said:
That Blue Ocean strategy book from before the Wii was really known... how did it end?

I'm guessing they found another ocean.

TheHeretic said:
Yes, but in the Conduit where I experimented with this the controls never felt satisfying, the default setup felt about as good at is was going to get. My problem is the act of turning with a pointer in the way the Wii Mote is simply a mediocre way to control an FPS, and makes twitch shooters extremely difficult to play.

It's a shame you still felt they were mediocre, but I don't know why that is. What specifically is "medocre?" You mentioned turning, but it's factual that you can adjust turning speed to be much faster than the default controls. If you find that twitch gameplay is too difficult, you could lower the speed or the sensitivity or even widen the dead zone.

Do you find dual sticks satisfying? Because, aside from the ridiculous aim assist afforded to dual stick users, a right thumb stick has ridiculous imprecision, particularly with anything on a vertical axis.

Neiteio

TheHeretic said:
Yes, but in the Conduit where I experimented with this the controls never felt satisfying, the default setup felt about as good at is was going to get. My problem is the act of turning with a pointer in the way the Wii Mote is simply a mediocre way to control an FPS, and makes twitch shooters extremely difficult to play.
What if they put an analog stick on the Wiimote as well? So you get dual analog movement but can aim with surgical percision?

Instro

Joey Fox said:
So basically leaks are surfacing as soon as anything gets sent out to third parties these days.

No wonder Nintendo is usually so secretive. I'm thinking the "additional secret" is going to be something big.

Well the leak probably didnt come from any of the devs who've had dev kits for a while, I imagine that lots of people have access to that site so maybe some random industry person saw the cafe image and started asking around about the system and then sent some info out. At least that would be my guess anyway.

Wolves Evolve said:
I love how people use FPS as some kind of litmus for controller design. Man, fuck FPS games. Can this controller help with Pokemon, yes/no?
You make it sound like a quality, mainline console Pokemon game would ever exist.

antonz

M74 said:
At this rate we'll reconstruct the whole Cafe developer site by the time the conference hits. =P
someone from Nintendo has probably already shot off an email about needing to redo the pathways :p

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
The Conduit was a major improvement on Wii FPS controls for its time, but it's been far surpassed. The game itself was a bit sluggish, you should try other games.

Linkhero1 said:
I'm just wondering. Why are they using warioworld as a domain for their support group site?
They've used it for a long time now. So that, in and of itself, isn't a clue to anything. Why they choose warioworld in the first place... I have no idea.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Nirolak said:
Very interesting find. This proves it is not empty.

If you right-click on the 404 and view source, and then replace "generic" with "cafe" with a few of the image options, you'll see the inspiration.

M74

antonz said:
someone from Nintendo has probably already shot off an email about needing to redo the pathways :p
Please, they don't read this forum. If they did, they'd know our demands.

EDarkness

PantherLotus said:
1. "Everyone gets to play how they like it" sounds precisely like a NeoGAFism. It makes zero business sense. This isn't being built to play Wii games any more than the Wii was built to play GC games.

2. Rumors from Edge. Ok.

3. "Available" and "two of them packed in every box!" are so far apart I'm embarrassed that I need to bring that up.

4. Ignore their history at your (emotional?) peril. And just because you can't make sense of it doesn't mean it doesn't make any sense.

I think you misunderstand. I'll buy whatever as I always do. Though, if we were going by Nintendo "history" the Wii wouldn't exist. They bucked the trend and went with something completely different. Just look at the people who were totally thrown off once the Wii was officially announced and we knew what the capabilities were. So yeah, I don't know what they will do, and none of us do. Doesn't matter since I'm gonna buy one anyway.

I don't see them killing Wii style controls. However, they have to know that if they don't include the controllers in the box, it's all but dead. Maybe they want to kill it, but I just don't see that happening. If the system is gonna cost upwards of $400, then I would imagine some of that cost would be to throw in the dual analog option for those "core" guys who just have to have it and a remote and nunchuck option for those who want to go that route. Everything is in the box, and they can make a ton of cash off of people buying extras of both.

Anyway, this is my opinion on the matter. If they do or not, I'm good, but I won't lie I'd rather they not kill off the remote/nunchuck style, but rather enhance it a bit.

Ashodin

Hrm... I think that last bit means we won't be seeing anything talked about at the investor meeting at all. FUCK.

I'll still hold out though - they could announce a name / features like the Nintendo 3DS.

here, transcribed from the pdf:

Nintendo Co., Ltd. has decided to launch in 2012 a system to succeed Wii, which the company has sold 86.01 million units on a consolidated shipment basis between its launch in 2006 and the end of March 2011.

We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held June 7-9, 2011, in Los Angeles.

Sales of this new system have not been included in the financial forecasts announced today for the fiscal term ending March 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom