• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, at this point our semi-reliable rumor roundup:

R700 based GPU
25 Gig Discs
8 Gig Flash
3-Core PowerPC processor
Traditional layout controller with a 6" screen.
Compatible with Wiimote

Speculation:

Name
Hard Drive/SD Card compatibility
Specifics on CPU/GPU
RAM (type and capacity)
Motion Control (new variation?)

Confirmed Things:

Partnering with an outside company for online. (source)
Spending more time fostering 3rd party relationships.

Common Sense:

Should support all HD resolutions
HDMI support and component/composite

Damn you Chet Rippo!

Also, this:

Log4Girlz said:
I'm gonna repost this from another thread. With everything we know (Reference BMF's post), what do you expect from the Cafe:

Scenario 1: Xbox 360 level (not much more or less)

Scenario 2: Notch above 360 (running current gen games, regardless of complexity at 1080p)

Scenario 3: Significantly above 360 (running any current game games at 1080p, 60fps with improves textures and IQ)

Scenario 4: Next-gen .5 (Runs current-gen games as listed above, but in addition has just enough horsepower to create innovative new engines to provide graphics and performance never before seen at home, but below expectations for the next Xbox and Playstation)

Scenario 5: True Next-Gen (Xbox 720 or PS4 level, or just a hair or two below)

I'm expecting scenario 2. You will have developers who may want to show graphics beyond what the 360 can do by just lowering the resolution.

D-Pad

Crap. Just realized I'll be in class on June 7 at 9 a.m. PDT giving a persuasive speech. FML.

@Above: I fully expect Scenario 5. Sony and Microsoft will be struggling to at least match the power of Nintendo's next console, and fans will be struggling to determine whether or not the real-time alpha screens are really real-life photos.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Chet Rippo said:
KkZ2C.gif

G7rcN.jpg

Can't see imgur at work(lol why?), so i'm gonna guess you quoted his avatar and something else lol.

D-Pad

RPGCrazied said:
Plenty of sites will have it recorded, I'm sure gametrailers is one of them. Don't worry.
No, you gotta be there the moment it happens. It's all about the experience and the refreshing and the 500 errors. I'm going to miss it all. I'm going to miss E3. :(

BMF said:
If you look at your avatar just right, it looks kinda like Homer Simpson.
That's some amazing skill right there. :p

Caramello

I want to know what you guys expect will be there at launch?

Will we see any third party exclusives? Will it all be ports? Will we get the obligatory Ridge Racers and Raving Rabbids/Rayman?

Also will the third party ports be timely? For example somebody mentioned Dragon's Dogma being a launch title, however that game is scheduled for early 2012 and this new console won't be out until April 2012 AT THE EARLIEST so it wouldn't be a timely port.

To give an indication of the kinds of titles that consoles generally launch with, I'll list a few (These are US launch titles as the US is usually looked upon as the standard);

XBOX 360

Amped 3
Call of Duty 2
Condemned: Criminal Origins
FIFA '06: Road to FIFA World Cup
GUN
Kameo: Elements of Power
Madden NFL 06
NBA 2K6
NBA Live 06
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
NHL 2K6
Perfect Dark Zero
Peter Jackson's King Kong
Project Gotham Racing 3
Quake 4
Ridge Racer 6
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006
Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

PS3

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
Call of Duty 3
Genji: Days of the Blade
Madden NFL 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
NBA 2K7
NHL 2K7
Resistance: Fall of Man
Ridge Racer 7
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07
Tony Hawk's Project 8
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

Wii

Call of Duty 3
Cars
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Excite Truck
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
GT Pro Series
Happy Feet
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Madden NFL 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Monster 4x4 World Circuit
Need for Speed: Carbon
Rampage: Total Destruction
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Wii Sports (bundled with the Wii console)

So say the rumoured launch is correct and it launches around the June time frame, what are we going to see?

Akai

D-Pad said:
No, you gotta be there the moment it happens. It's all about the experience and the refreshing and the 500 errors. I'm going to miss it all. I'm going to miss E3. :(

It was terrible for me last year, when my internet service decided to die a mere minute into Ninty's conference, only to come back literally minutes after it finished...

I spent the entire time refreshing NOA's twitter page on my phone in anger... >=(

BMF said:
So, at this point our semi-reliable rumor roundup:

R700 based GPU
25 Gig Discs
8 Gig Flash
3-Core PowerPC processor
Traditional layout controller with a 6" screen.
Compatible with Wiimote

Speculation:

Name
Hard Drive/SD Card compatibility
Specifics on CPU/GPU
RAM (type and capacity)
Motion Control (new variation?)

Confirmed Things:

Partnering with an outside company for online. (source)
Spending more time fostering 3rd party relationships.

Common Sense:

Should support all HD resolutions
HDMI support and component/composite

Damn you Chet Rippo!

Also, this:
Is this post some kind of public service or a meme by now?

andthebeatgoeson

Pretty certain the controller screen is to allow me to play facebook games after I get bored with traditional games. Why wall jump when I can just shoot an upset bird at it to make it explode?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
InterInside said:

I'm just kind of amazed that this guy follow this thread so much to make sure he post this every ~50 posts.

I guess he must have a very boring week.

mclem

antonz said:
If MS were to join Nintendo with a reasonably close console power wise while Sony decided to derp it up again it would doom Sony for sure.

If 2/3 of the consoles go in one direction the odd man out is screwed.

That does create an interesting question: Can Sony exist on first-party alone? Nintendo have managed to scrape by, just about. I think Sony probably could, too, but I think it'd be slimmer pickings than you'd get from Nintendo. I think the only company that would really struggle in such a situation is Microsoft, I'm not sure Microsoft Game Studios goes quite far enough to fill the gaps.

If one console goes ultra powerful, the third company could effectively be the kingmaker; the one they side with would be the one the third parties would most likely aim for. This raises an interesting followup question: If you were Microsoft, would you try to sabotage Sony - the most direct competition - or Nintendo - with the largest audience?

And perhaps that's a reason to *not* go bleeding-edge, to deliberately *avoid* giving the third manufacturer that level of power.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
mclem said:
That does create an interesting question: Can Sony exist on first-party alone? Nintendo have managed to scrape by, just about. I think Sony probably could, too, but I think it'd be slimmer pickings than you'd get from Nintendo. I think the only company that would really struggle in such a situation is Microsoft, I'm not sure Microsoft Game Studios goes quite far enough to fill the gaps.

If one console goes ultra powerful, the third company could effectively be the kingmaker; the one they side with would be the one the third parties would most likely aim for. This raises an interesting followup question: If you were Microsoft, would you try to sabotage Sony - the most direct competition - or Nintendo - with the largest audience?

And perhaps that's a reason to *not* go bleeding-edge, to deliberately *avoid* giving the third manufacturer that level of power.

Judging by first party sales this generation there is no possible way they could realistically support a system on their own.

Also your assessment of third parties is wrong; they go for the system that is the most popular so long as it is also able to handle easy porting to other systems. The base system last gen was the PS2, and this gen the base system was the 360.

jacksrb

Caramello said:
I want to know what you guys expect will be there at launch?

My brain says it will look something like:

---First Party---
- Pikmin 3
- New Nintendo IP
- Something that uses Miis

---Third Party Exclusive---
- Third party exclusive game with adventuring or shooting
- Card/Board Games Collection (scrabble, poker, etc that uses controller screen)

---Ports---
- Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade
- Batman : Arkham City : Ultimate Edition
- Madden (if launch in the US is Fall)

---Tripe---
- Tripe 1
- Tripe 2 (Ubisoft tripe)
- Tripe 3-6

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
What is the point of trying to keep a rumour thread on-topic in the absence of any new rumours and every one of them has been discussed to death anyway?

Groundhog Day isn't good for people's mental well-being. If people want to keep sane by discussing the joys of Pikmin in the meantime let them.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
InterInside said:

It could become a meme actually.

Quite tempted to go to the OT Lady Gaga thread and post her biography at the start of every page ;)

XPE

What the hell do people expect from the next xbox and playstation, after 5 years the ps3 is still expensive, to get some of the horsepower people are thinking of you are going to pay a small fortune for it.

The next xbox and playstation will be a lot more powerful but I think some people are setting there sights a bit high.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
XPE said:
What the hell do people expect from the next xbox and playstation, after 5 years the ps3 is still expensive, to get some of the horsepower people are thinking of you are going to pay a small fortune for it.

The next xbox and playstation will be a lot more powerful but I think some people are setting there sights a bit high.

There won't be the same jump again. Not just cost reasons, but reliability as well. Sony and Microsoft both got burnt badly. Microsoft were more willing to take it because they wanted to take a large chunk of Sony's pie. Which they've done, next time round will be just to consolidate it. Sony Vs. Microsoft is more a game of poker next time round, neither wants to show their hand but neither wants to break the bank. There also isn't the call from the industry to massively increase costs again.

For Nintendo the focus should be getting a console than can run middleware effectively. As long as it does that and is reasonably well future proofed they won't fall into the trap the Wii did when PS4/720 roll around.

Cammie was pretty good 2 years ago. though some people complained that she came off as robotic and not natural. last year, she was only on the aftershow news which kinda disappointed.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Always-honest said:
Well, that would sell it to me no matter what.

If better support pointer controls though, even if we have to use a Wiimote.

I haven't waited this long for a new Pikmin only to be deprived of ordering them around in the best possible way.

mclem

Man God said:
Also your assessment of third parties is wrong; they go for the system that is the most popular so long as it is also able to handle easy porting to other systems. The base system last gen was the PS2, and this gen the base system was the 360.

I don't think my statements were necessarily disagreeing with this. My thoughts were that if there *is* a clear gap between power levels, would third parties simply gravitate to the level which contains two systems rather than the one that contains one, for exactly those porting reasons?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
mclem said:
I don't think my statements were necessarily disagreeing with this. My thoughts were that if there *is* a clear gap between power levels, would third parties simply gravitate to the level which contains two systems rather than the one that contains one, for exactly those porting reasons?

In the current climate they will want all 3 revenue streams.

And in the same way as PC development takes into account different bases of hardware, so will this gen coming up. The Wii was left out of the equation simply because middleware for the other 2 wouldn't run on it in the first place. As long as Nintendo cover that base you will see ports aplenty, both when it launches and when Sony/Microsoft launch as well.

jacksrb

DECK'ARD said:
If better support pointer controls though, even if we have to use a Wiimote.

I haven't waited this long for a new Pikmin only to be deprived of ordering them around in the best possible way.

That would be interesting if Pikmin 3 was the banner carrier for a packed-in WiiMote+ and the other titles leverages the screen controller.

Graphics Horse said:
Must be why I'm hoping a new remote would only be pen-sized.

the wiimote was made with orifice insertion in mind. just look at all the images and videos of people inserting it into their rectums and vaginas

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That doesn't necessarily mean the system itself is unannounced, but instead that they're yet to announce the other platform the game will appear on.

EatChildren said:
That doesn't necessarily mean the system itself is unannounced, but instead that they're yet to announce the other platform the game will appear on.

I don't understand why they couldn't just say it's for Kinect in that case, but I suppose it wouldn't be the first time that a publisher has withheld a game's platform for no good reason.

Father_Brain said:
I don't understand why they couldn't just say it's for Kinect in that case, but I suppose it wouldn't be the first time that a publisher has withheld a game's platform for no good reason.

Maybe it's a temp exclusive. The first one is on all 3 consoles now.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
EatChildren said:
There's no other reason not to announce the second platform. It's friggen' Zumba Fitness.

The good news is this points to decent motion control support.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Krev said:
There's no other reason not to announce the second platform. It's friggen' Zumba Fitness.

The good news is this points to decent motion control support.

Of course there's a good reason not to announce it.

It's Microsoft E3 surprise.

Can I beat BMF at his own game?

Lets do a complete rumor recap

Credible Rumors:
-New console using a R700 AMD GPU
-Also using a TriCore PPC similar to the one in X360
-Minimum of 512MB RAM
-25GB Optical Disc & 8GB of onboard flash
-No built-in HDD included, SD card dependent
-Controller has a 6.2" Touch Screen on it
-Controller also has the standard set of controls & buttons (d-pad, dual analog, 4 face, 2 shoulder & 2 trigger)
-Controller also has a Camera & gyros/accelerometers
-Backwards Compatible with Wiimote
-More powerful than PS360 (significantly or just a tad bit is undefined)
-Production starts as early as October 2011

Reasonable Rumors:
Devs have had dev kits since sometime last year (just after E3 2010)
Rockstar has something to show (GTA V?) & so does Retro (DKCR2?)
Possible name for system is Stream
$350-$450 Price Point
Optical Disc is Bluray based
Launch date June 2012
No Friendcodes
IR sensors in the controller
Size of original X360 & resembles modern SNES

Wild Rumors:
Trackpad on back of controller
Haptics & Vitality sensor built into controller
Retro's game is Eternal Darkness 2

Things Confirmed:
Nintendo to work with an outside company to help build better online
Nintendo working closely with 3rd parties to bring games to Nintendo platforms.
System will support High Definition Graphics (1080p assumed)
System will not launch before April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom