• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii 2 (Project Cafe): Officially Announced, Playable At E3, Launching 2012 [Updated]

Status
Not open for further replies.
enzo_gt said:
I really don't understand the direction Nintendo's going in if this is true. It seems to directly contradict the Wii controller philosophy so much, this seems so un-Nintendo of them. It seems so unintuitive and seems to ignore the shift towards motion gaming, peripheral gaming, and accessibility (read: nunchuck and wiimote combo) that they helped bring to the forefront themselves.

There has to be more to this.

i'm betting on the "surprise" being an updated wii controller. both controllers are packed into the box so that both are supported.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Aaaaand it's probably time to start questioning the resolution of that screen on the controller, esp. if they intend on selling the "no TV needed" functionality of the Wii2 as a broadcast thingy.

What would be REALLY cool is if you could play more than one game at a time on different controllers...or download a netflix and stream it to one of them...or play on the internet like an ipad on another...or use it like an eReader...or like a DS...

holy shit Nintendo is going to let us down. There's no way they can deliver something that cool.

artwalknoon said:
Am I missing something? Just because we are certain now that the codename is cafe doesn't mean the rest of the rumors are confirmed as well right?

Yeah but if a site got one fact right if gives them a bit more credibility towards all the other things they said.

Still holding out hope that the controller looks nothing like what's in the OP. Split controller with pointer functionality please.

antonz

They mention It is a 16:9 Screen that is 6" and has an unusual resolution thats in the 800x500 range which is less than 720P and currently it is single touch. Tentative date for launch told to developers is June 2012 and that design decisions can change between now and then.

Worth mentioning as I pointed out in the old thread. Many GPS devices use a 6" Touchscreen that is 800x480 resolution. Good be a very good candidate for screen type.

artwalknoon said:
Am I missing something? Just because we are certain now that the codename is cafe doesn't mean the rest of the rumors are confirmed as well right?

Well, none of these rumours are 'confirmed' but since the codename Cafe is 100% correct, it's pretty safe to wager the information is generally correct as well. Of course, opinions can vary and specs can change.

Neiteio

If this thing can come within spitting distance of God of War III, then that's more than enough for me. I want the next gigantic boss I fight in Zelda to have all the animation intricacies of Hephaestus:

God_of_War_Hephaestus-thumb-550x309-35211.jpg

Seriously, that's plenty good enough. All improvements after that are splitting hairs, imo. And if this thing's more powerful than 360, then it's probably at least equivalent to a PS3, which means it could swing God of War.

The important thing here is the system will finally be in HD. Shame DKCR is doomed to languish in sub-standard fuzziness. Never again, Nintendo! HD, here we come!

watershed

Banned
Game-Biz said:
True, but it does make 01net that much more reliable. Cause if they were right about that, they're probably right about the other details.

I think these rumors always happen this way. Most of the details are right but some of the larger stuff is wrong or left out.

joedick

StickSoldier said:
I like the way that looks, but wouldn't it be wise to have 4 face buttons?

I'm sure it's gonna have four face bouttons and at least three shoulder buttons. I reckon Nintendo's gonna wanna start selling GC games in the shop.

dwu8991

Banned
Game-Biz said:
True, but it does make 01net that much more reliable. Cause if they were right about that, they're probably right about the other details.

They broke everything in one go! These are not made up rumours, they sourced from devs with actual dev kits.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
mysteriousmage09 said:
That is one fugly controller if it is indeed real, and REALLY disappointing if the system does end up being just over PS3 and 360 specs.

It's clearly a concept render...

Nirolak said:
They called out the codename before it was revealed, meaning that their rumors are quite likely correct, since whoever gave them that likely knew more about the system.
I'll lmao if Nintendo is just trolling us with the banner. I know that people seem to think these were intentional leaks but did any previous Nintendo console have its info leaked so early before?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
antonz said:
They mention It is a 16:9 Screen that is 6" and has an unusual resolution thats in the 800x500 range which is less than 720P and currently it is single touch. Tentative date for launch told to developers is June 2012 and that design decisions can change between now and then.

Worth mentioning as I pointed out in the old thread. Many GPS devices use a 6" Touchscreen that is 800x480 resolution. Good be a very good candidate for screen type.
Is the part where they say you can play games without using a TV an accurate translation?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DoomXploder7 said:
i'm betting on the "surprise" being an updated wii controller. both controllers are packed into the box so that both are supported.
I hope this is the case as well.

This thread moves fast, can someone point me towards where it says this might be unveiled in about a day from now? I seem to have missed this completely.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
antonz said:

What would really be funny is if the thing has an actual GPS in it. For no reason in particular.

Keyouta

I'm assuming the picture posted in the comments on that site is fake, but:

nintendojps77.jpg

I don't believe it will look like that.

antonz

Nirolak said:
Is the part where they say you can play games without using a TV an accurate translation?
They do suggest that is supposed to be a big feature of the system. The ability to stream across multiple controllers different media and games.

Bleh...A "notch above the 360" pretty much means Ill pass on this one if these rumors are true. I'm not spending $500 on a half generation jump up.

Still have hope but it isn't looking too bright for me.

jett

D-Member
About the controller...Nintendo better use one big ass battery on those things. I like the mockup in the OP, symmetrical analog sticks for the fucking win, it'll be a pain to hold that thing otherwise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
antonz said:
They do suggest that is supposed to be a big feature of the system. The ability to stream across multiple controllers different media and games.
Awesome, thanks.

Going to go update the OP now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I do hope it's a bit more than "basically an Xbox 360" in power. I dont really care about Nintendo going all in the hardware race, but it will come back to bite them on the arse if they dont future protect it.

SmithnCo

Freezie KO said:
Still holding out hope that the controller looks nothing like what's in the OP. Split controller with pointer functionality please.

Well I'm sure Nintendo will have wiimote support still, so it would be a Move situation where some games can use it if they want to.

Little Green Yoda said:
I'll lmao if Nintendo is just trolling us with the banner. I know that people seem to think these were intentional leaks but did any previous Nintendo console have its info leaked so early before?
early relative to what exactly? the rumors stated they intended to announce it later this month, with that reference point these leaks don't seem "early" at all.

Neiteio

PantherLotus said:
What would really be funny is if the thing has an actual GPS in it. For no reason in particular.
Other than Nintendo knowing where you are.

And watching. Waiting.

Fapping.

Balb

Net_Wrecker said:
Bleh...A "notch above the 360" pretty much means Ill pass on this one if these rumors are true. I'm not spending $500 on a half generation jump up.

Still have hope but it isn't looking to bright for me.

Shouldn't your purchasing decision ultimately hinge on the games? Or are you just not willing to pay its launch price (which won't be $500)?

Krowley

Keyouta said:

nintendojps77.jpg

hmmm

Not that it is real or anything, but you can see a dude's reflection in the screen. Nice fake I suppose

Or is it??? :p lol I love nintendo console launches.

Net_Wrecker said:

You can still get it though because it's only gonna be $300!

pirata

My French is really shitty, but that second block you wanted translated is just talking about what IGN posted, although there might be more there that I missed.

TheOGB

Banned
Keyouta said:

nintendojps77.jpg

I could see that being legit, or close

however it seems almost too familiar, so i doubt it

Neiteio

Keyouta said:

nintendojps77.jpg

Impressive fake... Or IS it fake? Dude even put in the reflection of himself taking the pic... Or is it a real reflection?

I dig this, though. Like a Diglet.

Yoshiya

Pupi18 said:
Whats gonna happen this tuesday? Im a bit lost...
Investor meeting. The expectation is that they'll mention it exists and to wait for E3 (à la bizarre 3DS press release), nothing more.

Keyouta said:

nintendojps77.jpg

i'm thinking they will use more controller like buttons and sticks not handheld like one's.other than that i'd be ok with this layout.

Keyouta said:

nintendojps77.jpg

Nah, I don't think so either. The form seems like it would be uncomfortable after an amount of gaming with it. I'd like to see a controller that has handles at least. I like the other one that was posted which has the picture of MGS3 on it.

Laurent

This is poorly written…

Screen not in HD
The 6" widescreen (16:9 or close enough) is “single touch” for now [meaning it could / might change] with a uncommon resolution, something around 5** x 8** [they should have wrote 8** x 5** if it's a widescreen format], which is quite inferior to 720p. The tablet (V2) form factor looks much more plausible / realistic. Let's not forget that from now until it's June 2012 release — a tentative release date given to developers — Nintendo could change the form factor and features of the controller and the console.

antonz

And good news for gaffers they do mention the idea of being able to head off to the bathroom and continue playing on the screen haha.

bridegur

I'm going to have a really difficult time paying more than $250 for anything that's only slightly more powerful than 360/PS3.

SmithnCo

Neiteio said:
Impressive fake... Or IS it fake? Dude even put in the reflection of himself taking the pic... Or is it a real reflection?

I dig this, though. Like a Diglet.

Looks fake, the shadows and lighting on the sticks in particular are clearly the same, so that's a copy/paste job. I hope the real controller is less... square I guess.

DreD

http://www.01net.com/editorial/5319...es-precisions-sur-la-manette-et-le-streaming/

Summary

Should be similar and very inspired by the UDraw Tablet, but with analog sticks and triggers on each side (as well as a control pad and face buttons).

The touch screen won't be HD, but should instead be in the range of 5**x8** (so quite lower than 720p).

Streaming capabilies are again discussed. They basically say that the console will be able to stream content (movies or games) wirelessly to each controller withouth the need to power the TV. You could basically start a game on your TV and then continu playing on your controller if someone else wants to watch a TV show.

All the processing would be done by the console, so the controllers would only act as the command input and a display terminal. This, in theory, eleminates latency issues.

antonz

PantherLotus said:
Weird, I'm looking up 6" GPS screens and they're calling 800x480 "high definition."
Yep alot of these smaller screens get called HD which would explain why there was confusion early on when one source said HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom