• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii already sold out in the UK (Nov 2007), demand is unprecedented.

vilmer_ said:
This whole shipment fiasco reminds me of the SNES days. Nintendo couldn't possibly be under-shipping, could they? Or are they past that now.
Their highest selling console in Europe was the SNES, it sold 8.58 million units. The Wii has by my figures more then halved that number in a year. And could add alot more to that.

The Wii will likely be Nintendo's biggest Euro success story ever.

ksamedi

Thunder Monkey said:
Their highest selling console in Europe was the SNES, it sold 8.58 million units. The Wii has by my figures more then halved that number in a year. And could add alot more to that.

The Wii will likely be Nintendo's biggest Euro success story ever.

Add the DS to that as well, its doing better than in the US market.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
vilmer_ said:
Nintendo couldn't possibly be under-shipping, could they? Or are they past that now.

To semi-quote JoshuaJSlone's very useful tag, there are more Nintendo Wiis in the wild than any near-launch console has ever had. Only now it's nowhere near the launch. And it's still sold out.

They are not undershipping in the least. The demand is just too high for them.

Frester

Thankfully I have a friend who works retail, I was able to run out and pick one up a few months ago as soon as they got a shipment in.

ymmv

Banned
QVT said:
It's never been in stock, ever, here in Southern California. I've seen one physical Wii in the entire time of it's release.

I'd have probably bought one(and been disappointed, of course) if I had seen one.

Do you want to buy one because you're excited about the games or do you want to buy just because they're so much in demand and hard that holding a Wii in your hands is all the reasons you need for buying one.

I think a surprisingly large number of people succumb to the Wii hype. Case in point: me. I'm not a Nintendo fan, have never played a Mario/Zelda game in my life and really love my 360. I was only mildly curious about the Wii remote control but couldn't care less about 98% of all Wii games. The Wii had been sold out in the Netherlands for at least six months, so when I saw a stack of Wii consoles in my local Mediamartk store, the hype got me. If stores would have been overflowing with Wii stock, I'd have probably shrugged and only get the Wii if I really, really wanted one. But since Wii's were so rare, I suddenly had to decide if I wanted to satisfy my curiosity right now because that stack of Wiis would be gone in a few days. My rational mind turned itself off at that moment and consumerism/hype took over.

And so I found myself with a Wii in my hands plus two games (Zelda and RE4) even though I'm not really a Wii gamer, dislike the lores graphics, the childish interface and lack of online features. I do like a couple of Wii games but I generally think the Wii is overrated and in a different league compared to my favorites, the PS3 and 360. I don't think Nintendo will care, because I'll still have contributed to Nintendo's world domination even though I want the other two consoles to win the race.

thomaser

I'm in Norway, and my store got only 9 Wiis now in November. In December we'll get 40, but only after christmas. And we're one of the lucky stores, since most will get 2 or 3.

The situation with Super Mario Galaxy is terrible as well. We only got 45 for launch, and the next shipment will come next year at some unspecified time. I can't wait until our huge christmas-ad with SMG as the big focus (its deadline was in October, when we still thought we'd get more than enough games) goes out next week, and we'll have to deal with people who want to buy it but can't.

ksamedi said:
Add the DS to that as well, its doing better than in the US market.
Well to be honest I've only been seriously tracking the Wii in Europe. Pretty much because of just how difficult any hard numbers are to get. If they really were hitting 500k months for the majority of the summer Nintendo should be just a little shy of 2 million units under the SNES today.

I don't make pretty graphs though. :(

Shiggy

In Germany we've got software shortages for Endless Ocean, Super Mario Galaxy and Wii Play. I ordered the latter one in early October and still didn't receive my copy. Still, some retailers got new shipments in the last week.

Avrum

MisterHero said:
Did Nintendo announce a Golden Ticket contest for 5 Winners to see what's inside their Game Factory? Because I missed that announcement. :(

Run for it, Charlie! Run straight home and don't stop till you get there!

*cue I got Golden Ticket song*

So do we have Pikmin instead of Oompa Loompas? ;)

felipeko

ymmv said:
Do you want to buy one because you're excited about the games or do you want to buy just because they're so much in demand and hard that holding a Wii in your hands is all the reasons you need for buying one.

I think a surprisingly large number of people succumb to the Wii hype. Case in point: me. I'm not a Nintendo fan, have never played a Mario/Zelda game in my life and really love my 360. I was only mildly curious about the Wii remote control but couldn't care less about 98% of all Wii games. The Wii had been sold out in the Netherlands for at least six months, so when I saw a stack of Wii consoles in my local Mediamartk store, the hype got me. If stores would have been overflowing with Wii stock, I'd have probably shrugged and only get the Wii if I really, really wanted one. But since Wii's were so rare, I suddenly had to decide if I wanted to satisfy my curiosity right now because that stack of Wiis would be gone in a few days. My rational mind turned itself off at that moment and consumerism/hype took over.

And so I found myself with a Wii in my hands plus two games (Zelda and RE4) even though I'm not really a Wii gamer, dislike the lores graphics, the childish interface and lack of online features. I do like a couple of Wii games but I generally think the Wii is overrated and in a different league compared to my favorites, the PS3 and 360. I don't think Nintendo will care, because I'll still have contributed to Nintendo's world domination even though I want the other two consoles to win the race.
The problem is that you are a gamer, probably a hardcore gamer.. This unprecedent demand does not come from just gamers, but mostly from casual, lapsed and people who didn't play at all.. And most of those people like the system because it's something new and fresh... And most of them don't regret buying it.

So yeah, maybe gamers buy becuase it's "rare"... But causal and others buy it because they want it, that's how this demand started, and that's how it's still that high. No fake demand can survive to a non-sellout month (like there's have been on UK).

That could be true for Japan though.

ksamedi

ymmv said:

Nintendo only cares if you buy games. Thats where the real profit is. But I also think that you are the minority, I think a lot of people were waiting for something like the Wii to come along. It really gives a good perspective of what most people actually want from a videogame.

ymmv

Banned
I can understand why there are shortages of the actual console but how on earth did NOE screw up something simple as pressing game discs? You can't even buy Metroid Prime 3, it's sold out in most stores and no one knows when they'll get their next shipment.

ksamedi

ymmv said:
I can understand why there are shortages of the actual console but how on earth did NOE screw up something simple as pressing game discs? You can't even buy Metroid Prime 3, it's sold out in most stores and no one knows when they'll get their next shipment.

From what I understand, Nintendo manufacters all game discs, that includes third party as well. I think they are having troudble with keeping up with software demand as well.

iidesuyo

Shiggy said:
In Germany we've got software shortages for Endless Ocean, Super Mario Galaxy and Wii Play. I ordered the latter one in early October and still didn't receive my copy. Still, some retailers got new shipments in the last week.

SMG shortages? I bought mine in Munich MM on saturday, besides the games in the shelf they had 3 staples of SMG laying on the floor. There also were about 10 Wii consoles left.

About Uk... seems like the demand is huge. I remember numbers from the summer, Wii sold 4 times better in the UK than in Germany (where the DS kills everything). But weird that so few games make it into the charts (last week only 2?).

ksamedi

iidesuyo said:
SMG shortages? I bought mine in Munich MM on saturday, besides the games in the shelf they had 3 staples of SMG laying on the floor. There also were about 10 Wii consoles left.

About Uk... seems like the demand is huge. I remember numbers from the summer, Wii sold 4 times better in the UK than in Germany (where the DS kills everything). But weird that so few games make it into the charts (last week only 2?).

Last week was the only week where few games charted, it dominated every other week.

spwolf

iidesuyo said:

right, in continental europe, you can easily find Wii everywhere. In UK and USA it is sold out.

justjohn

it seems like the demand is high in english speaking countries. uk, us, australia. whilst mainland europe and japan you can still walk into shops and buy one now

MisterHero

Avrum said:
Run for it, Charlie! Run straight home and don't stop till you get there!

*cue I got Golden Ticket song*

So do we have Pikmin instead of Oompa Loompas? ;)
Better!

11437461314297ot.jpg

megateto said:
You can find plenty of units in Spain. Should I begin to make a profit from my fellow Eurowii lovers?

Sure why not, they get their Wii and you get your money, it's a win-win situation.

DS started taking off in Japan, then Europe, then America, whilst the Wii took off in all 3 major markets right from the get go, and only Japan has slowed down. Amazing. Nintendo just can't stop winning.

Rhindle

sphinx said:
so.... we have reached that point yet again, not just in America..

Wii is going to destroy the competition and beat all records this season.
Well, that depends on how much they can ship. They may or may not have built a stockpile for the holidays.

If they continue to only be able to ship a million units or so a month worldwide, they will be handily outsold. Although, I have a feeling the 360 will be supply-constrained as well in Noth America.

Ronok

ymmv said:
have never played a Mario/Zelda game in my life

felipeko said:
The problem is that you are a gamer, probably a hardcore gamer..

o_O;;

As for the Wii, I was in Game and GameStation here in London to buy Mario (wanted to see if it was cheaper somewhere (should have checked Woolworths ; ;) and it was in stock there........ This was on Friday, so unless things suddenly changed with Mario's release (it's possbile) it really isn't as bad as the papers are making out. :-/

MisterHero

peetfeet said:
Where'd you get the pic from? Do you have any higher res ones... wallpaper size? :D
When I was in the Miyamoto Game Factory* and sorry, I couldn't get a better shot**. :(

Maybe there's an HD version of the commercial it came from (IIRC Mario vs. Donkey Kong GBA), I doubt it though. :(

*teh internetz

**this is the biggest one I could find on teh internetz

Dai Kaiju

I don't think the demand is all that special with the Wii. It's just alpha moms who still owe their kids Wiis from last christmas, coupled with the moms who are just now being asked for one. When you slowly trickle them into stores like that, of course people are going to freak out when they become available. I mean, there's nothing a parent would love to hear more on Christmas morning than "I FUCKING HATE YOU, MOMMY".

Dai Kaiju said:
I mean, there's nothing a parent would love to hear more on Christmas morning than "I FUCKING HATE YOU, MOMMY".
I don't know, think of the money you'd save once you dropped them off at the orphanage.

Deku

Banned
A more useful point to is to say that though they are not undershipping and are selling every single one they ship to stores, they aren't flooding the market either.

That's probably a huge distinction. If they wanted I'm sure they could be at 2 million a month right now, instead of next year.

Dommel

1) buy Wii in belgium land, plentiful in stock around here
2) put on ebay.co.uk
3) profit!

Just helping our overcanal's friends ofcourse :D

Ilchymis

I'd be surprised if this ever STOPPED happening anywhere in the world. The Wii has been selling faster than marijuana-laced hotcakes, and it sure as hell isn't going to slow its roll during the holiday season. It does give us heartless money-mongers some ideas for eBay, however...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Dai Kaiju said:
I don't think the demand is all that special with the Wii. It's just alpha moms who still owe their kids Wiis from last christmas, coupled with the moms who are just now being asked for one. When you slowly trickle them into stores like that, of course people are going to freak out when they become available. I mean, there's nothing a parent would love to hear more on Christmas morning than "I FUCKING HATE YOU, MOMMY".

Yeah, and there is nothing more irritating than a disrespectful kid that needs to be disciplined.

Saitou

Banned
Dai Kaiju said:
Denial and anger in the same post?

Trolls grow up so fast these days.

LOcKY

Maybe they are more worried about their kids hiring assassin if they dont get what they want for christmas.

you know kids want their PS3.. oh wait.....

fking brats i think they should legalise the KAIN! or get them to work when their 10 so they know money dont grow on trees.

Deku said:
A more useful point to is to say that though they are not undershipping and are selling every single one they ship to stores, they aren't flooding the market either.

That's probably a huge distinction. If they wanted I'm sure they could be at 2 million a month right now, instead of next year.

Are you saying they can release 2 million consoles they've stockpiled? They can't do that, they need consoles for other months of the holiday season. If you mean they can crank out 2 million a month at their factory, then I don't think thats possible since I'm quite sure Nintendo would do that if their factories are capable of it right now. The Wii is in huge demand.

Shiggy said:
Yep, this is getting fuckin' ridiculous. First MP3 and now SMG. Amazon.de doesn't even list a date for the new shipment. Not prepared to make another drive around, I'll wait a bit and see what happens.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Dai Kaiju said:

:lol What will they come up with next?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Wii is 'it' this year like Robosapian was last year, well over 1/2 the people buying one have no idea why they want it, but they must have it.

I might put a sneaky bet on "HIGHSCHOOL MUSICAL" being Christmas No 1 in the games chart.

QVT said:
It's never been in stock, ever, here in Southern California. I've seen one physical Wii in the entire time of it's release.

I'd have probably bought one(and been disappointed, of course) if I had seen one.
of course; totally understandable.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Oooooooh I can taste that money, I wonder how long I should wait before I sell it, I don't want to wait until parents have given up and bought something else already. I can already sell it at a local store for almost the same price they pay for a 360 Elite, I'm sure it's got some way to go yet.

Top Bottom