• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii boxart styling revealed? No.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I absolutely hate the blue one though, makes it look like one of those shitty strategy guides.

pitt_norton

VOOK said:
smg-boxart.jpg

I really like this header, by far the best I've seen... I cannot wait to see what we eventually get to adorn our book shelves with.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
metdroid said:
Do all amateur sites/blogs take all their stuff from gaf?

Where the hell else would they get it? GameFAQs?

I adore the first header used in this thread. A bit of tweeking, it'll be so awesome.

Pity the real one will be a letdown.

big_z

Kulock said:
They've got to fit full-size discs in there this time.

There's a lot of wasted space in those cases even with a full sized disc. Hell you can fit a dvd in a DS case.

Buggy Loop said:
Naw, i prefer N's design than androgyne, sorry dude. Andro's design just doesnt go with the Wii console, at least not the way i view the wii design. First, your white to gray fade makes it look like silver, thats industrial and cold, boring basicly, its been a color way overused in the past years, nowadays its full plain colors. And second, the blue

_41855580_wii203.jpg

Its only a small line in Wii's design, not a focus, thats why i think nintendo's one is closer and easier to recognize with the console.

I just like simplicity :)

Fair criticism - but regardless, i think what we'll get will be along those lines (gray fade, silver etc) just cause they use that a lot (website, in the photograph you posted even)

But i do favour simplicity as well and in all honesty think they'll go for something really white. The reason i didn't do this next one first is cause the 360 cases are predominantly white up the top, so i thought Nintendo might not do something so similar.

boxart-marvel.jpg

And forgive the complete overuse of that 'glossy floor' effect here.. but i think they've been aping apple just enough for that to find it's way into the final design too! Oh and this one's got a bottom panel purely cause the marvel artwork is in that ratio... more like the blu-ray size packages perhaps?

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
the wii is so simple and clean in its look, its box art should be the same. every box art in this thread is too "busy" methinks.

the androgyne said:
Fair criticism - but regardless, i think what we'll get will be along those lines (gray fade, silver etc) just cause they use that a lot (website, in the photograph you posted even)

But i do favour simplicity as well and in all honesty think they'll go for something really white. The reason i didn't do this next one first is cause the 360 cases are predominantly white up the top, so i thought Nintendo might not do something so similar.

boxart-marvel.jpg

And forgive the complete overuse of that 'glossy floor' effect here.. but i think they've been aping apple just enough for that to find it's way into the final design too! Oh and this one's got a bottom panel purely cause the marvel artwork is in that ratio... more like the blu-ray size packages perhaps?
I think what you're doing wrong is that you're making it too flashy. Like, it's looks too cool.

If you look at all the current boxarts you can see none of them has some kind of cool effect for example letter being reflected slightly at the bottom, etc. So you should make it less like a beautiful image and more like a logo.

the androgyne said:
Damn! Can't please everyone it seems :p Tho being 'too cool' is not so bad i guess!
Here's that one stripped down a bit.
The blue line should be flat, not embossed.

And maybe 'Wii' should be bigger.

You know, this is really hard. Whoever is designing the official boxart must go through hell.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Does anyone really think the template will differ much from all the temp ones Nintendo has on their press site?

BW2.jpg

GCN-like much? :p

I really dont like the Wii logo much bigger than i had it before.. but here you go.
Btw, that blue 'embossed' line was actually cut from that photo of the wii showing the blue drive light very clearly... so it's authentic at least :)

boxart-marvel-3.jpg

and here's one using ripping off bluray case floating around.. which unfortunately probably looks the best out of all of them! (cept the rushed spine - i'm getting bugged to go to bed here so i gotta be quick :p)

wii-blu-ray.jpg

Yeah i've never held one - their site seems fairly confident though ...

Unlike traditional DVD and CD cases, Super Jewel Box cases are virtually impossible to break with regular use.

That said, a misplaced stomp would surely shatter it.

I'd say so.. but to some extent they're all custom anyway (DS, JP Cube and even regular US Cube with it's memory card slots) so who knows.

Thanks! But it's just that blu ray box from the ps3 thread!
I'm a website designer .. but when i learnt, that was like 3% of the course, so you could say i have a print background...

I'm just covering all angles here so that next week (hopefully) when they show real boxes, i can say 'hey i was close!' for at least one maybe!

MrNibbles

Banned
I want publishers to give us just the ****ing art.
No logos/etc.
Then they can slap a transparant sleeve with the logos on it over the box art. Or another sleeve with the art & logos.

At the store, morons will be able to see: What system it's for, if it's online, who made and published the game, and if little Johnny should be playing Rockstar's latest rape sim.

When you take the game home, you can pull out the outer boxart/transparency, in effect removing the annoying logos. (This also opens up the door to extending boxart to the BACK, instead of the lame-o 3 screenshots and a quote from a random magazine.)

People who like the art yet want to keep the original logod version can simply insert the logod version behind the boxart.

ZeoVGM

Banned
MrNibbles said:
I want publishers to give us just the ****ing art.
No logos/etc.
Then they can slap a transparant sleeve with the logos on it over the box art. Or another sleeve with the art & logos.

At the store, morons will be able to see: What system it's for, if it's online, who made and published the game, and if little Johnny should be playing Rockstar's latest rape sim.

When you take the game home, you can pull out the outer boxart/transparency, in effect removing the annoying logos. (This also opens up the door to extending boxart to the BACK, instead of the lame-o 3 screenshots and a quote from a random magazine.)

People who like the art yet want to keep the original logod version can simply insert the logod version behind the boxart.

well i hate to break it to you, but they're not going to do that for the very few people who care.

consumers are drawn to boxart looking a certain way. no reason for publsihers to go out of their way.

why does anyone care if there's a strip at the top? as long as the art below it is good and if it's not, that's a whole nother thing

MrNibbles

Banned
What if Sony bought the rights to the Mona Lisa and slapped the hideous SpiderMan font, an ESRB rating, and the Playstation logo all over it?

While most boxart is shit, some of it is good, and it's trashed by logos everywhere.

It's the same thing with TV shows. You've got the ****ing V-Chip rating in the upper left, you've got the ****ing watermark of the network, and you've got banner ads (with sound!!) for their next shitty show at the bottom.

ShowDog

VOOK said:
Oh here is the other one Angrogene made, I just used his header (with permission)

smg-boxart.jpg

I only made it to see if anyone would pick it up, the opera DS box I posted back here when it was first annouced showed up on no less then 5 sites, including Gamasutra :)

DAMN! Someone call Nintendo, the boxart for Mario Galaxy is already complete!

Top Bottom