• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Controller Modification...BYE BYE 8 WAY! HELLO FREEDOM!!! (perfect for NiGHTS 2)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You know, this reminds me of something that I was curious about... why haven't we seen any third party Nunchuk/Classic Controller devices yet? Normally they jump at the chance to release accessories (especially for something selling as well as the Wii is), so where are they?

Interesting. I never knew people didn't like the 8 Gates. Oh well. If your game(s) of choice play better that way, more power to you.

I've been going on a power run on Trauma Center, now that someone mentioned the game, and I've been trying for XS on every mission (all of chapter 5 and below XS'ed, and a few X missions, too) and I can't imagine not having those gates.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Shinobix said:
There's a wireless nunchuck out there already.

There's a wireless nunchuk that was mentioned by IGN's Australian division (last I checked) and has yet to have any info released elsewhere. As far as I could see, it isn't even for sale anywhere... although the mere fact it was announced is a sign that some stuff is coming, at least. I'm just amazed that it's taken this long for even vaporish hardware to form.

ckeur

Update, still trying with a flathead, dremeled down to the right length, but still no success. Are these screws extremely tight? I just can't get the torque and whatnot to get them out =(.

Edit: Kept trying, hands are almost bleeding, but I'm just going to strip the screws if I try anymore. I guess they are just different tightnesses, but these aren't coming out with the current hardware. Would a local hardware store, like Home Depot or Ace Hardware, have a screwdriver that would fit this? Why does Nintendo do stupid stuff like this? =(

Innotech

Banned
ckeur said:
Update, still trying with a flathead, dremeled down to the right length, but still no success. Are these screws extremely tight? I just can't get the torque and whatnot to get them out =(.

Edit: Kept trying, hands are almost bleeding, but I'm just going to strip the screws if I try anymore. I guess they are just different tightnesses, but these aren't coming out with the current hardware. Would a local hardware store, like Home Depot or Ace Hardware, have a screwdriver that would fit this? Why does Nintendo do stupid stuff like this? =(
to prevent people from modifying the controller if they dont know what theyre doing.

ckeur

Innotech said:
to prevent people from modifying the controller if they dont know what theyre doing.

Is that a slam on me? Just because I don't have the correct hardware does not mean I don't know what I'm doing =(

ckeur said:

i used a tech flathead. head was small enough to fit perfectly within 2 of the notches. just order a trihead off of ebay. cheap.

linkboy

donkey show said:
You should change the stick to the gamecube one. It'll offer a bit more grip than the original one especially now that you grinded out the 8-way.

I did that to my chuck minus your sanding action. It feels tons better.

rbwiimote7.JPG

As soon as I can find a GC controller with a white analog stick (all of mine are a darker gray), I'm replacing the stick.

The GC's analog stick is one of my favorites (my thumb doesn't slip) and I like it better then the Wii's.

All of my Wavebirds also have their C-Stick replaced with the regular GC analog stick and it was the best thing I did to those controllers.

ckeur

No local hardware stores carry that type of screwdriver, thats odd. Still no luck with a flathead, and I'm beginning to strip down the screw. =(

v0yce

FlightOfHeaven said:
Interesting. I never knew people didn't like the 8 Gates. Oh well. If your game(s) of choice play better that way, more power to you.

Oddly enough, I never knew anyone actually liked the 8 gate. One of my biggest gripes about Nintendo controllers.

I have now idea why anyone would want an analog stick stuck in an octagonal hole. That just seems to defeat the purpose. Its like throwing speed bumps on the highway.

ckeur

v0yce said:
Oddly enough, I never knew anyone actually liked the 8 gate. One of my biggest gripes about Nintendo controllers.

I have now idea why anyone would want an analog stick stuck in an octagonal hole. That just seems to defeat the purpose. Its like throwing speed bumps on the highway.

Haha, I love the analogy. A few posters up bought a screwdriver for $0.95 and in the reviews on the website someone had a youtube post using it:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JuUVnipQTwk

So definitely works on the nunchuk / classic controller. So I purchased that, hopefully it will get here before I go back to college. It will just make everything much easier. =)

And regarding the 8-way, I think I would like to have one 8-way and one circle for both the nunchuk and for the CC. Certain games lend themselves to having the 8-way, such as Mario Galaxy (makes ledges much easier when you know you are going exactly one direction) and I just got Zelda: LTTP and I prefer analog (just easier to use) but the 8 way makes going straight easier.

Top Bottom