• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Homebrew Channel on Wii U teased! [Wii mode only for now]

Effect

Sounds like the 3DS all over again. Where DS cards worked but that was it. Nothing on the 3DS side has been hacked and Nintendo keeps pushing out updates. I thought at this point those cards no longer worked period on the 3DS. With the Wii U I see the same thing. the Wii OS itself is still a problem but they not doubt will be pushing out constant updates to protect the Wii U side of things.

From my understanding once Wii Mode is turned on basically everything else on the system gets shut down. Nothing Wii U related is running. Similar to the 3DS when a DS game is put it. The hardware is suppose to simply become a DS at that point with the 3DS not touchable. So I'd be surprised if any thing appeared for the Wii U side of things without Nintendo pushing out a new firmware right away. Sure you could keep your system offline but would it be worthwhile in the end is the question. I hope Nintendo's security team are working overtime and react to everything.

antonz

In the end this will bring nothing but an even earlier death to the console if it continues beyond the walled off area

In the end this will bring nothing but an even earlier death to the console if it continues beyond the walled off area

I don't condone piracy, but can someone give me a SINGLE example of where piracy killed a system. Hell, Wii was the easiest of the big 3 to hack this last generation, and likely had the most homebrew and had the least amount of security measures AND least amount of fixes for broken security AFTER the fact and Nintendo still sold a shit ton of software.

And don't try to tell me the PSP died due to piracy... see Japanese market that is still thriving on PSP sales... PSP was always a slow seller in the US and most of europe and the DS was simply the better system that helped put it down.

I don't condone piracy, but can someone give me a SINGLE example of where piracy killed a system. Hell, Wii was the easiest of the big 3 to hack this last generation, and likely had the most homebrew and had the least amount of security measures AND least amount of fixes for broken security AFTER the fact and Nintendo still sold a shit ton of software.

And don't try to tell me the PSP died due to piracy... see Japanese market that is still thriving on PSP sales... PSP was always a slow seller in the US and most of europe and the DS was simply the better system that helped put it down.

I *can* tell you that with the handheld development company I used to work for, we didn't get many requests to develop PSP games, and the biggest reason given was piracy.

Rockman

The way Nintendo handles the WiiShop purchase transfers is horrid. I'm pretty much shit out of luck because I don't own my orignal Wii anymore so I cannot recover my $300+ worth of VC purchases. Even after calling their customer support and speaking with multiple people. At least with this I can run an Emu in Wii mode and play those games again right?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I think it's pretty accepted that while piracy didn't "kill" the PSP, it had a huge chilling effect on software development and sales, especially in the west (where it actually did have a bit of momentum at first.) Revisionist history ftl.

Why should anyone be happy about this?

USB loader for the games I ripped. I haven't used my Wii U's disc drive yet and I have no intention of doing so in the future.

Yeah, but what kind of software sold like crazy...

I *can* tell you that with the handheld development company I used to work for, we didn't get many requests to develop PSP games, and the biggest reason given was piracy.

But was this actually piracy, or the perception of piracy?

What I mean is... Ubisoft, for example, has a perception that their problem with PC ports is piracy. It was the reason they developed such strong anti-piracy measures, and in turn why many paying customers were pissed at the inconvenience and they ended up losing sales.

To be fair, I guess in that instance it wouldn't matter whether there was a "true" threat from piracy or whether it really was all perception, the damage would be the same.

(edit) Akimbo, not sure what you're getting at... Wii had one of the larger attach rates this generation... If you're implying that piracy somehow killed the Wii, I think the numbers aren't going to agree with your argument.

neoanarch

The way Nintendo handles the WiiShop purchase transfers is horrid. I'm pretty much shit out of luck because I don't own my orignal Wii anymore so I cannot recover my $300+ worth of VC purchases. Even after calling their customer support and speaking with multiple people. At least with this I can run an Emu in Wii mode and play those games again right?

Knowing they were tied to the hardware why would you get rid of the Wii? You can't really blame anyone but yourself.

Wii and DS are very piracy friendly in the sense that it's very easy for the common person to pirate, yet they both have many of the best selling games of all time. I will never say piracy has zero effect on sales, but I will say that I believe it's a negligible to small effect.

What I mean is... Ubisoft, for example, has a perception that their problem with PC ports is piracy. It was the reason they developed such strong anti-piracy measures, and in turn why many paying customers were pissed at the inconvenience and they ended up losing sales.

To be fair, I guess in that instance it wouldn't matter whether there was a "true" threat from piracy or whether it really was all perception, the damage would be the same.

Yeah, it was the publishers' perception of piracy, but the end result is the same, many multiplatform franchises we got hired to make the DS versions of, they didn't want a PSP version because of the perception of rampant piracy.

Rockman

Knowing they were tied to the hardware why would you get rid of the Wii? You can't really blame anyone but yourself.

Actually at the time I did not know this. If it was in the EULA well then...really? Who reads that horseshit, I just want to play my video games. Anyway why can't they implement a system like Microsoft and or Sony? If they intend to push more towards digital purchases why in the hell would anyone choose that over retail if it's a headache to retrieve games you have purchased.

Zee-Row

Banned

(edit) Akimbo, not sure what you're getting at... Wii had one of the larger attach rates this generation... If you're implying that piracy somehow killed the Wii, I think the numbers aren't going to agree with your argument.

I think i knew 2 out of 10 people that actually bought retail PSP games , everyone else downloaded games off the internet and played them on their hacked PSP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's also worth noting the demographics of piracy and their effects on software sales. It's usually why games aimed at younger audiences are easier to greenlight for handhelds; kids are less likely to pirate than teens and 20-somethings. You see this reflected in the DS's best selling games.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Region free!

I might be able to get rid of the Wii due to this.

It's also worth noting the demographics of piracy and their effects on software sales. It's usually why games aimed at younger audiences are easier to greenlight for handhelds; kids are less likely to pirate than teens and 20-somethings. You see this reflected in the DS's best selling games.
I am sure that the idea of piracy and it's ramifications are not comprehended by children within the 5-12 year age gap. My parents had a C64 and pirated every single game possible for it. I had no idea what it was all about - all I ever did was insert the requested floppy and loaded the game.

gblues

Banned
Can't wait for this to be released. I have my entire Wii library ripped to a USB HDD, and I don't particularly want to give that up when we get the Wii U down the road.

I think i knew 2 out of 10 people that actually bought retail PSP games , everyone else downloaded games off the internet and played them on their hacked PSP.

Anecdotal at best. Dreamwriter makes a much more valid point to that... but I don't think even then it's as simple as "PSP was piratable and therefore it failed" regardless.

I think my position is getting muddied by the waters and talks of piracy...

My original point was someone said that Wii U homebrew would mean piracy and piracy would kill the Wii U, but I don't think any system has died as a direct or indirect result of being able to run homebrew. In the PSP it may have played a factor, but that was probably more akin to kicking a puppy while it was down.

(edit) Gblues: I wouldn't get ahead of yourself. Being able to use the homebrew channel does not mean that you'd have access to a USB loader... They'd have to find a vulnerability capable of installing custom IOS. On top of that, there is no guarantees that the USB drivers would still be viable or if they'd have to be rewritten. Unless Nintendo learned absolutely nothing, it could still be a fairly long process.

No, piracy didn't manage to kill the Wii. But I'm pretty sure the already good library for Wii would have been much better if it wasn't for piracy. As I said, all the quote on quote "hardcore" gamers I know pirated the system.

If you were a 3rd party developer, what would you do on Wii? A game like Xenoblade, or Carnival Junk 7?

Not saying the Wii wasn't a success for Nintendo and some publishers. But the guy who loves good games is always the first victims when it comes to piracy. Piracy equals less ambitious games.

Zee-Row

Banned
Anecdotal at best. Dreamwriter makes a much more valid point to that... but I don't think even then it's as simple as "PSP was piratable and therefore it failed" regardless.

I think my position is getting muddied by the waters and talks of piracy...

My original point was someone said that Wii U homebrew would mean piracy and piracy would kill the Wii U, but I don't think any system has died as a direct or indirect result of being able to run homebrew. In the PSP it may have played a factor, but that was probably more akin to kicking a puppy while it was down.

PSP never had a problem selling hardware in the US but software always suffered. You don't think the 2 are related? People don't buy PSP just to look at them.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It would be great to be able to rip our games to a big hard drive. I hope it comes soon.

I was thinking about mentioning something like this. A hardcore niche game advertised via Internet would very likely be hurt more by piracy than a kid-oriented game.

However, the piracy could also work in its favor sometimes. Anecdotally, a couple people I know were exposed to Rhythm Tengoku on GBA through piracy, and they subsequently bought the DS and/or Wii games when they came to America. I would think that situation isn't so common, though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I was thinking about mentioning something like this. A hardcore niche game advertised via Internet would very likely be hurt more by piracy than a kid-oriented game advertised on TV.

However, the piracy could also work in its favor sometimes. Anecdotally, a couple people I know were exposed to Rhythm Tengoku on GBA through piracy, and they subsequently bought the DS and/or Wii games when they came to America. I would think that situation isn't so common, though.

It definitely shouldn't be encouraged, as that might give some companies (Nintendo) the idea to not localize games and then just see how the pirated copies do. Which would be a poor business decision anyways, but who knows what they think sometimes.

Some people think piracy contributed to the Dreamcast's death, taking license fees away from Sega towards the end of the Dreamcast's life when Sega was on their last financial breath.

speedpop

Some people think piracy contributed to the Dreamcast's death, taking license fees away from Sega towards the end of the Dreamcast's life when Sega was on their last financial breath.
Some people also think piracy has only been rampart within the past decade, but it has been a part of this hobby since day 1 with the Atari. To think that my parents owned pirated copies of Atari 2600, C64, and Amiga games blows my mind when I think about it.

A lot of it will always come down to the software that is issued out. Sure Epyx died for our sins, but what about EA or Activision? They are just as old and look where they stand now.

Alex

I think it's pretty accepted that while piracy didn't "kill" the PSP, it had a huge chilling effect on software development and sales, especially in the west (where it actually did have a bit of momentum at first.) Revisionist history ftl.

USB loader for the games I ripped. I haven't used my Wii U's disc drive yet and I have no intention of doing so in the future.

I think the effect was always greatly overestimated. Of course it made a dent, it always does, but it'd have sunk the DS in the same way considering piracy on the DS was even more widespread than on the PSP. It actually took some mild knowhow and effort to crack a PSP, but all you needed for a DS was one of a zillion flash carts.

PSP's main issue was pretty much same as the Vita's is now. Although with the Vita, instead of learning from mistakes, they've chosen to double down on console-styled Western software and entirely ignore other markets and it's biting them twice as hard. Especially as now there's no MH2G and reborn Japanese scene to save their ass.

Didn't stem the tide from the PlayStation or PlayStation 2 - two consoles which began their steps of stride in the latter half of their lifetimes.

Now look at DS, PSP and Wii...

Good example is Peace Walker and the God of War games on PSP. They bombed hard, but I think a lot of people played and enjoyed those games.

I hate region locking as much as the next guy, but I prefer a game not released in my territory to a game that isn't even made.

After the HBC literally saved my Wii from becoming a useless paperweight, I highly welcome this news. I am still doubtfull that they will be able to break into the WiiU in any similar fashion, but if we can have HBC for Wii mode and possibly even use the gamepad for it... hell yeah.

As for piracy and cheaters on the WiiU end. Yeah, with patches it will never become as bad (read unplayable thanks to lowlife cheating bastards) as on the Wii.
I'm still weary about it. I don't care for piracy. It happens either way and there's nothing I can do about that, but I demand from Nintendo to keep their online hack free as good as possible.

I hate piracy... but oh God if this means that I can play the 100 or so VC games I have on the GamePad then I'm soo in on this!

I'm afraid they would have to decode the proprietary compression protocols first, and I don't know if that's feasible to do.

Zee-Row

Banned
Playing Virtual Console games on the Wii U is a chore though so i hope they change it.

1. Turn on Wii U with the pad.
2. Pick up the Wii remote to start the game.
3. Plug in classic controller

Makes me not wanna play.

FSLink

Banned
Nintendo apparently doesnt see the use of Wii Mode on the controller itself.

If this brings that one step closer, I'm all in.

Didn't they say this is something they wanted to do? With the way they sandboxed the Wii Mode that it just has no way to access the Gamepad as of now...they'd probably have to rewrite parts of the IOS to do so. Not impossible, but definitely some work.

speedpop

Now look at DS, PSP and Wii...

Good example is Peace Walker and the God of War games on PSP. They bombed hard, but I think a lot of people played and enjoyed those games.
The DS is the poster child of accepted handheld success, the Wii was a revelation in managing to turn the heads of perceived acceptance concerning console entertainment. The PSP is the PSP - the first handheld to go against Nintendo lands and succeed where few dared. Anyone can take a look at the PSP library and understand where the gems are located.

Just because Peace Walker failed in a time of MGS rot, or God of War tried to capture an audience that didn't want it doesn't mean that piracy caused their doom. Anyone can take a look at history and see what sells on a handheld and I can assure you that it ain't going to be MGS or GoW. Which, in a way, is related to the puzzling thoughts I had when people were thumping their chests about CoD being on Vita.

Playing Virtual Console games on the Wii U is a chore though so i hope they change it.

1. Turn on Wii U with the pad.
2. Pick up the Wii remote to start the game.
3. Plug in classic controller

Makes me not wanna play.

1. Turn on Wii U with the Wii remote
2. Start the game (through the Wii channel)
3. Win!

Didn't they say this is something they wanted to do? With the way they sandboxed the Wii Mode that it just has no way to access the Gamepad as of now...they'd probably have to rewrite parts of the IOS to do so. Not impossible, but definitely some work.

There is no real reason why they couldn't write drivers to use the display. The Wii U hardware still exists, it's just not turned on... The greater problem would be compatibility. Adding new functions to old games will likely break or alter or cause glitches. Things Nintendo can't easily debug or guarantee to work and thus ends up looking "half assed" or unprofessional, even if it's neither of those things.

I didn't know you could start the Wii U with the Wii remote?! LOL Good thing I posted in this thread! I learned something new!

Once you sync it with the Wii U, yep. Can navigate some menus and some wii U games using only a Wii mote/nunchuk setup and indeed go straight into wii mode.

Erethian

So apparently Nintendo has put a system in place where it can disable Wii mode as soon as it detects a system update is pending. Assuming you're connected to the internet.

This might be old news but I only just saw it on marcan's twitter feed.

Aeana

So apparently Nintendo has put a system in place where it can disable Wii mode as soon as it detects a system update is pending. Assuming you're connected to the internet.

Huh, that's pretty wild.

Saw that as well, going to add it to the OP just because it's an interesting tidbit that goes with all of this.

So, just as a guess (I can't really recall the details), is that due to the other small processor in the Wii U, that possibly handles things like sysupdate checks and other network operations among it's other duties?

I caught this on the back of a Wii U game case:

This product contains technical protection measures. Any unauthorized technical modification of the hardware or software, or the use of an unauthorized device or software, will render this game or your Wii U system permanently unplayable and result in removal of unauthorized content.

Note that it doesn't say that it "may" brick your system, but it "WILL" brick your system.

Top Bottom