• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Homebrew Channel on Wii U teased! [Wii mode only for now]

Sandfox

So apparently Nintendo has put a system in place where it can disable Wii mode as soon as it detects a system update is pending. Assuming you're connected to the internet.

This might be old news but I only just saw it on marcan's twitter feed.

Well that's one way to stop people from using the homebrew channel lol

I caught this on the back of a Wii U game case:

Note that it doesn't say that it "may" brick your system, but it "WILL" brick your system.

This isn't new... They changed the wording on that early in the Wii's life, or late in the GCN's life. There was a huge stink about the change on forums a few years ago that essentially amounted to nothing but FUD.

Hell, Nintendo has had warnings like those at least as early as late NES.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I *can* tell you that with the handheld development company I used to work for, we didn't get many requests to develop PSP games, and the biggest reason given was piracy.
The reason was probably bad sales. Whether they were a result of piracy or not is debatable. All the "winners" of the console wars so far have been really easy to pirate since early on in their lives (even if methods improved over time). PS1, PS2, DS, Wii to name a few. Some of the "losers" having the same issue doesn't necessarily make it their main issue.

TunaLover

If djtuei can finally add CC Pro support to Devolution, we can play damn GameCube games on the thing!

The only storage medium access is the SD card though.

If djtuei can finally add CC Pro support to Devolution, we can play damn GameCube games on the thing!

The only storage medium access is the SD card though.

This, I'd be VERY happy if this all leads to GCN support added to the Wii U. I have to wonder though if it's possible. There were rumors that the Wii U drive can't even accept the GCN Mini-DVDs. If this is true, it would make it's authentication process rather difficult.

wrowa

Bricking systems is an even better way to stop it :)

It would be even easier if Nintendo just made the console region free, so that the number 1 reason many people need homebrew no longer exists.

But, of course, the consumer would benefit from that and that is bad. Or something.

/frustrated European gamer

Meesh

The Wii mode homebrew channel is great for running all my roms, but outside of that does little else...looking forward to Twiizers full version :)

Top Bottom