• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Issues thread

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Okay, we had one for the PS3, just jotting down some things for the Wii! (aren't i the happy fun loving one this month! ;))

1. Credit cards

Again, as per PS3, only a credit card belonging to a country on the list available on your wii can be used. Having a european card means that no Wii points can be purchased. Check returns "Error : country doesn't match that in Wii settings" :(

2. Freezing on VC exit (Amirox)

System freezes 50% of the time when exiting VC channel.

3. Slow Wii code exchange update (Tabris)

Followin exchange of Wii codes, takes a long time before you can actually interact.

4. VC game issue : Bomberman

Difficult to get mixed controllers (GC+Wii) working

--- Borghe to the rescue! "press a button on the GCN controllers (L trigger or R trigger I thought) "

5. Bluetooth controller problems (Mrbob)

As per PS3 issue - controls get 'stuck' for a few seconds.

6. Download and update -bricking- (lavpa)

Some updates have bricked certain systems

7. Lack of firmware on machine

Machine ships without firmware, requests update disk.

8. Disk read failures (quailtamer)
Won't read disks 1/10 times

9. Lack of Nunchuck/Wiimotes (koam)
Lack of stock despite push from nintendo of the wii as a family machine

10. Sent message history (SS4Gogita)
No send message history

11. Wii sound output issues (Jarosh)
often distorted sound output to 5.1 output system.

12. Blue light not coming on (John Harker)
Despite receiving mails, blue light doesn't come on.

13. Mii channel/register freeze (John Harker)
When not connected to 24, system freezes and forces power down.

14. Lock up in wii store (hyp)
Lock ups in the wii store whilst connecting

15. Multiple wifi connection failuers (DCharlie/hyp)
wifi connection fails, claims not connected.

16. Wiiconnect24 not available (DCharlie/hyp)
several messages about Wiiconnect24 not being available, then available secodns later.

Fire away!

Amir0x

Banned
is this like "issues", such as the system freezing at times?
or "issues" like "i wish this was changed, 'cause it's annoying or not practical"?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Amir0x said:
is this like "issues", such as the system freezing at times?
or "issues" like "i wish this was changed, 'cause it's annoying or not practical"?

just let it all out.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i may be alone in this, since everyone seems to be down on the speaker quality, but i think if it's gonna be a sound that i want it as loud as possible regardless of quality. with that in mind--and this is going to sound insane--does the battery consumption change if the volume is turned down, and does turning the sound up have a converse affect?

Tabris

1) Seems to take a while to update when Wii codes have been exchanged.

2) Bomberman 93 is annoying as hell to get Gamecube controllers and Wii controllers working properly.

EBCubs03

Banned
Amir0x said:
well i mean 'cause my Wii freezes like 50% of the time when exiting the VC channel, sooo...

Mine too. It's getting really annoying... Most of the time I can't even connect to VC. I can send messages and miis to friends fine, so it's not my connection.

Mrbob

I was playing Madden last night, and when I selected a player he was moving backwards on his own. I think its the same Bluetooth problem as mentioned in the PS3 thread. I restarted the game and everything was fine. Played some Zelda too with no problems. It was odd.

I have the Bricked Wii from downloading that update, and I STILL dont know if I can just transfer my zelda saves ect. safely if I get a new one.

AND Nintendo hasnt emailed me back with any answers. That was like 3 days ago.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Tabris said:
1) Seems to take a while to update when Wii codes have been exchanged.

2) Bomberman 93 is annoying as hell to get Gamecube controllers and Wii controllers working properly.
RTFM. :p You have to press a button on the GCN controllers (L trigger or R trigger I thought) to get them working on Bomberman I thought. Haven't bought it yet but I remember someone else complaining that the GCN controllers didn't work on a game and they had to hold down a button to get them working. It was in the manual also.

atomsk

Party Pooper
i've had my Wii on the stand for the last 2 or so days, with WiiConnect24 running. now, maybe it's just the fact that i left a game in it (the manual tells you to remove games when not in use), but when i went to fire up excite truck this morning it made an extra loud loading sound.

so i ejected that, and put in monkey ball. and the sound was skipping when i was loading a stage up.

i've returned it to the horizontal position, and havent had any problems since.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Lavpa Jasai said:
I have the Bricked Wii from downloading that update, and I STILL dont know if I can just transfer my zelda saves ect. safely if I get a new one.

I was told by Nintendo that Zelda saves would NOT transfer to an SD card. The only way to keep all of your data is to send the system to Nintendo after they send you a shipping label, rather than use the advance replacement option.

deepred

I hope that most issues will be fixed out before european launch.

Given that I always purchased Sega and Nintendo consoles or handhelds, I'm not used to "issues" with a console... :lol

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
DCharlie said:
Okay, we had one for the PS3, just jotting down some things for the Wii! (aren't i the happy fun loving one this month! ;))

1. Credit cards

Again, as per PS3, only a credit card belonging to a country on the list available on your wii can be used. Having a european card means that no Wii points can be purchased. Check returns "Error : country doesn't match that in Wii settings" :(

Fire away!

Ummmm, I'm not sure if the country settings make any difference on that. At any rate, I've used my international credit card to buy Wii Points online and it worked like a charm. And I don't live in the U.S., nor my billing address is there.

Lavpa Jasai said:

To be fair, you e-mailed them on Thanksgiving day... they likely are gone for that day, Friday, and then the entire weekend.

I locked up once trying to connect to the store, but I think that's it. Oh, I get crackling audio when going back to the channels menu... not sure why.

Ulairi

Banned
I got the wifi usb thing and it just blinks when I hook it up to my computer. I've followed the instructions to the letter, not working. I'm going to try switching my router to channel 1 or 11 to see if that helps. The Wii can find it, it's just the connection dies.

Amir0x

Banned
elostyle said:
Why have you not returned it yet?

because it pisses me off to be without a system i just purchased for 5 days.

PLUS, it seems to be the only real issue outside of it once freezing on me while i was playing Bomberman '93.

My Wii won't read discs about 10% of the time. I need to take out the game and put it back in, praying. So far that's been working.

koam

The only issue i've had was that i smashed the controller into the coffee table at one point and the accelerometer crapped out. It just stopped working. Everything else worked fine. After hitting the controller on my lap a few times, it started working properly again. No problems since.. been 4 days since that incident.

The second "issue" I have is that the Wii is a console that's promoting playing together with friends and family. It's been a week to the day now and I STILL can't find a second controller or nunchuck. It's really annoying.

On a side note, the Wii is amazing! I've already recorded over 50 hours of playtime between my roommate, my gf and myself.

ant1532

Banned
Amir0x said:
because it pisses me off to be without a system i just purchased for 5 days.

PLUS, it seems to be the only real issue outside of it once freezing on me while i was playing Bomberman '93.
When my DS had a couple dead pixels Nintendo shipped me a new DS first then I shipped mine back to them in the box theirs came in. So there was never a time where I didn't have a DS. You should call and see if they do that w/ wii

Argyle

Lavpa Jasai said:

If you got the 110213 error, you CANNOT transfer ANY of your save games. This is presumably because the save format changed between the 1st and 2nd updates, and since the replacement machine coming from Nintendo is going to be fully updated, you are hosed.

It might be possible if you have a friend with a stock Wii - update their machine once, transfer the save games, then update again, then copy the saves off their machine onto the SD card again...but it might be more hoops than you're willing to jump through.

My problem with the Wii is that it seems like 3rd parties don't get it yet. I bought Super Monkey Ball for multiplayer and I'm pissed! It's so awful...so I repeat my warning...DO NOT BUY MONKEY BALL FOR MULTIPLAYER. If you do, DO NOT SHOW PEOPLE THE WII FOR THE FIRST TIME WITH THIS GAME. They will hate it.

Amir0x

Banned
ant1532 said:
When my DS had a couple dead pixels Nintendo shipped me a new DS first then I shipped mine back to them in the box theirs came in. So there was never a time where I didn't have a DS. You should call and see if they do that w/ wii

can't do that, because i have ****ing virtual console games i'd lose

oreelios

quailtamer said:
My Wii won't read discs about 10% of the time. I need to take out the game and put it back in, praying. So far that's been working.

Mine too. The drive will make a loud clicking sound (Not nearly as bad as that one Youtube vid. Maybe one click once every 2 or 3 seconds. Like it's trying to find the beginning of the disk, but can't. I'll get a read error and have to eject the disk, power down, and put the disk back in. It seems wiping the disk helps, which is oddsince the disks aren't even dirty because Zelda has hardly left my system since I've started playing it.

dasein

a piece of brick fell on top of my Wii, and now the stupid system acts up so much

Wii has so many issues, Nintendo should have seen it coming

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
Another small complaint (other than the one I voiced in the Mii Parade thread), is that I don't like that I can't see the messages that I've sent to other Wii users. What if someone other than myself were to use my Wii and send a nasty message to someone? I'd have no way of knowing exactly what was sent.

jarosh

ok this is kinda important for me but no one seemed to have similar issues in the official thread...

anyone else having trouble with the wii's sound output? it's often distorted for me as if the volume was set too high. it has nothing to do with my speakers though, the sound is distorted no matter how much i turn down the volume. i'm using the component cable btw. my wii is connected to a receiver with a 5.1 system. i don't have this problem with anything else hooked up to the receiver.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
my blue light has never, ever come on (besides the quick .5 sec flash when you turn it on) regardless of how many Miis or messages i've received that I havent checked. I have it set for Bright too.

And if I ever try to open the Mii channel or register a friend without being connected to Wiiconnect24, it freezes and i have to power down. I've had to power down a lot.

I've gotten Disc Read errors 3-4 times too.

jarosh said:
ok this is kinda important for me but no one seemed to have similar issues it in the official thread...

anyone else having trouble with the wii's sound output? it's often distorted for me as if the volume was set too high. it has nothing to do with my speakers though, the sound is distorted no matter how much i turn down the volume. i'm using the component cable btw. my wii is connected to a receiver with a 5.1 system. i don't have this problem with anything else hooked up to the receiver.

Are you part of the solution?

oreelios

jarosh said:
ok this is kinda important for me but no one seemed to have similar issues it in the official thread...

The sound that plays along with the movie on the game channel when you load up Zelda is of a very poor quality.

jarosh

Jiguryo said:
Ummmm, I'm not sure if the country settings make any difference on that. At any rate, I've used my international credit card to buy Wii Points online and it worked like a charm. And I don't live in the U.S., nor my billing address is there.
could you elaborate? where do you live, what credit card did you use, what's the billing address country and what region did you select in the settings?

because i sure as hell can't buy wii points with my swiss visa.

oreelios said:
The sound that plays along with the movie on the game channel when you load up Zelda is of a very poor quality.
ooo...kay? that has nothing to do with my post...

Steriletom said:
Are you part of the solution?
uhm, what?

hyp

let's see:

1. locked up in the wii store while trying to connect.
2. hard crashed my system in wii sports w/ high pitch whine and computational garbage.
3. locked up while trying to load a game upon disc insertion.
4. multiple wi-fi connection issues (claimed i was not connected).
5. wiiconnect24 not available, please try again later.

those are my issues so far, been solid for the most part but still pretty buggy at times. i'm hoping nintendo gets a firmware update soon.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
jarosh said:
could you elaborate? where do you live, what credit card did you use, what's the billing address country and what region did you select in the settings?

because i sure as hell can't buy wii points with my swiss visa.

I live in Brazil, and I bought my Points with my Visa International. I had no problems whatsoever doing so. Its billing address is here -- the only confirmation they've asked was the ZIP code associated with such card. I've chosen Brazil as my country, and English as the system language.

You should check if your Visa allows you to buy stuff from other countries.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Amir0x said:
well i mean 'cause my Wii freezes like 50% of the time when exiting the VC channel, sooo...
For everyone who's having net connection issues:

Try changing your wifi channel to either a 1 or 11. If its set to either of those choices then try changing it something else. That simple switch actually cleared up most of my connection issues. Be warned that channel 11 is used by a lot of wireless telephones.

Amir0x

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
For everyone who's having net connection issues:

Try changing your wifi channel to either a 1 or 11. If its set to either of those choices then try changing it something else. That simple switch actually cleared up most of my connection issues. Be warned that channel 11 is used by a lot of wireless telephones.

It's not a net connection issue. It connects to everything fine, it just freezes upon exit of the Virtual Console.

koam said:
No, they reload them onto your new wii.

And do they reload my friend list and Mii's? No? Schucks.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Amir0x said:
It's not a net connection issue. It connects to everything fine, it just freezes upon exit of the Virtual Console.
Well try doing the fix anyways, a lot of the errors the Wii seems to have is related to weird connection problems or server issues. When I first had the system I would constantly get black screens where the Wii wouldn't be able to connect to anything (or quit out of a channel) or constant error codes.

Amir0x

Banned
Campster said:
Can't you save at least eight of them on your Wii controller?

i guess, but since i have... like... 80 mii's and like 80 people on my friend list (there is no ****ing way i'm re-entering all those god-damn codes again) i'm not gonna send it back for some freezing unless it starts affecting my games

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
jarosh said:
ok this is kinda important for me but no one seemed to have similar issues in the official thread...

Have you tried connecting the Wii to your sound system with the composite cables? Have you tried connecting the Wii to another sound system or a TV to see if the sound improves? I'm hoping you have faulty component cables since those are easier to replace then a system.

EBCubs03

Banned
Amir0x said:
i guess, but since i have... like... 80 mii's and like 80 people on my friend list (there is no ****ing way i'm re-entering all those god-damn codes again) i'm not gonna send it back for some freezing unless it starts affecting my games

Can you access the VC at all? Because I can't, it just freezes completely when trying to connect.

How do we know if we have a bricked wii? I can send miis and messages fine, it's just the VC that bones up on me.

Top Bottom