• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Issues thread

Mii

Banned
Wii has sporadic connection issues for me. Some days, I can connect the Wii to the internet, sometimes, I cannot. I'm using the Nintendo USB Wi-fi adapter. I've uninstalled all firewalls and disabled Windows Firewall. The school dorms I am at may also have a firewall, but it has let me through before.

I was able to get the connection to work twice, once when I system restored my pc a month back, and once when I uninstalled McAfee's firewall. This leads me to believe the issue is on my side rather than the schools.

The error is coming up as 52140; Nintendo's website only lists for this error code fixes needed for a real router, namely regarding DNS.

I have no clue how to fix this. Any help from someone in the know would be appreciated.

_PsiFire_

EBCubs03 said:
Mine too. It's getting really annoying... Most of the time I can't even connect to VC. I can send messages and miis to friends fine, so it's not my connection.
That happened to me as well - until I switched my routers channel to 1.. Been flawless ever since.

jarosh said:
ok this is kinda important for me but no one seemed to have similar issues in the official thread...

anyone else having trouble with the wii's sound output? it's often distorted for me as if the volume was set too high. it has nothing to do with my speakers though, the sound is distorted no matter how much i turn down the volume. i'm using the component cable btw. my wii is connected to a receiver with a 5.1 system. i don't have this problem with anything else hooked up to the receiver.

It sounds like your component cables are naff, I'm afraid. How is the sound with the horrible atrocities that came with the Wii? If they also have the same problem then it's the system that's naff.

PS: regarding the whole credit card thing not working, what about importing Wii cards? The only place however, that isn't ass-raping is play-asia's 5000 jpn points + classic controller combo. What about exchanging cards on GAF?

Xeke

Banned
Mii said:
Wii has sporadic connection issues for me. Some days, I can connect the Wii to the internet, sometimes, I cannot. I'm using the Nintendo USB Wi-fi adapter. I've uninstalled all firewalls and disabled Windows Firewall. The school dorms I am at may also have a firewall, but it has let me through before.

I was able to get the connection to work twice, once when I system restored my pc a month back, and once when I uninstalled McAfee's firewall. This leads me to believe the issue is on my side rather than the schools.

The error is coming up as 52140; Nintendo's website only lists for this error code fixes needed for a real router, namely regarding DNS.

I have no clue how to fix this. Any help from someone in the know would be appreciated.

Try switching your 1st and secondary DNS. I was having connection problems and using the second listed DNS for the primary DNS worked.

I've had issues with the sensor bar. Some I've been able to fix (don't have Christmas lights turned on anywhere near it.. makes it go crazy), some I haven't. For example: I'll be positioned about 5-7 feet away from the TV/Sensor bar, directly in front of it... and the Wiimote hand on the menu screen (or fairy in Zelda) will just go spastic for a second... a lot of times if I point to the lower right of the screen, it flickers in and out (rumbling the entire time).. if I adjust the controller (move closer or farther), it fixes it... but I shouldn't really have to do that with a game controller. :p

DyersEve

Mii said:

I had that error too. What I did was download the latest version on the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi adapter.

jarosh

Dragona Akehi said:
It sounds like your component cables are naff, I'm afraid. How is the sound with the horrible atrocities that came with the Wii? If they also have the same problem then it's the system that's naff.
it's not the component cable. see my reply on page 2:
jarosh said:
ok i tried the composite cable. same issue. i gotta say though, it's pretty minor. sometimes i don't even notice it. the distortion only occurs on certain loud, mid-frequency heavy sounds.

i'm not sure it's the system itself either. it sounds as if the receiver has some sort of problem with the wii's sound output. i have yet to try it with a regular tv or different speakers.

DyersEve said:
The only issues I had were when I first got online and it wouldnt work, but that was because I had to install the latest version of the Wi-Fi USB connector. The main issue though ive been haveing is with the controller going out of sync or something and the four bottom blue lights on the control flashing. Ive tried everything to figure out why it does this sometimes, I think that its just some kind on interference with the control and the
Wi-Fi connector.
It could be the batteries dying out. This happens when you're low on battery power. It's kinda useful because when it starts up again, it gives you enough juice to save if you have to if you don't have new batteries handy (at least with Zelda). The problems I have, just so people don't think it's a one problem per console thing:

Freezes when connecting to the Wii Store
Disc Read Errors sometimes 7 times in a row
Sometimes the blue light doesn't flash when getting mail or inserting a disc.

Mii

Banned
DyersEve said:
I had that error too. What I did was download the latest version on the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi adapter.

I had tried that, it as well got my connection to work...temporarily. It then went on to bug out on me.

Xeke said:
Try switching your 1st and secondary DNS. I was having connection problems and using the second listed DNS for the primary DNS worked.

How do I go about doing this with the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi Adapter?

jarosh said:
ok this is kinda important for me but no one seemed to have similar issues in the official thread...

anyone else having trouble with the wii's sound output? it's often distorted for me as if the volume was set too high. it has nothing to do with my speakers though, the sound is distorted no matter how much i turn down the volume. i'm using the component cable btw. my wii is connected to a receiver with a 5.1 system. i don't have this problem with anything else hooked up to the receiver.
I'm having this problem, too. Also using component but hooked directly to a cheapie 21" CRT. I've only noticed the distortion in the Wii menu and Zelda. With Zelda it's kicked-in mid-game and wouldn't go away until I restarted the system.

My wiimote speaker crackles occasionally too. At first I thought I'd busted it but it comes and goes.

Rummy Bunnz said:
I'm having this problem, too. Also using component but hooked directly to a cheapie 21" CRT. I've only noticed the distortion in the Wii menu and Zelda. With Zelda it's kicked-in mid-game and wouldn't go away until I restarted the system.

My wiimote speaker crackles occasionally too. At first I thought I'd busted it but it comes and goes.

I gotta say mine is just fine with my receiver. No distortion.

jarosh

Rummy Bunnz said:

hmm. doesn't sound like the same issue to be honest. it doesn't "kick in" here and it doesn't just go away when i restart the system either. it's just there. i suppose it's just some magical voodoo combination of the wii and my receiver/speakers. again, it's very minor. i bet most people wouldn't even notice it. hell, sometimes i forget about it myself and stop noticing it.

izakq

Biglesworth23 said:
I've had issues with the sensor bar. Some I've been able to fix (don't have Christmas lights turned on anywhere near it.. makes it go crazy), some I haven't.

Really? Crap and our tree is just a few feet away. Thanks for the heads up there.

My wii would freeze up loading the ranch in TP. I'd not experienced problems with my other two games and mailed Nintendo asking them wtf. They said that my disc was probably busted. So I returned it and got another copy. I play for a little bit and then this one freezes up on the sequence right after all the village stuff has been completed. I'm not very happy.

hyp

He Wants Chalupas said:
My wii would freeze up loading the ranch in TP. I'd not experienced problems with my other two games and mailed Nintendo asking them wtf. They said that my disc was probably busted. So I returned it and got another copy. I play for a little bit and then this one freezes up on the sequence right after all the village stuff has been completed. I'm not very happy.

welcome to the land of launch units. my wii is doing the same thing on different games.

Duderz

Banned
I'm having the exact same problems as Jarosh, only mine aren't minor. Tried both the component cables and the AV, and it still occurs. Always happens whenever I bomb something, or especially in the second dungeon, when
you're walking upside down on the moving platforms using the iron boots.

I've tried different connections on my TV, different cables, tried playing a CD out of my TV speakers, etc. Is my Wii in bad shape or something? :(

I just recently got a Wii last week that my sister and I have been anticipating for so long. I also bought Twilight Princess to go along with it since I've been waiting for that game forever. However I'm having some issues.

The other games I own, that is, Wii Sports and Red Steel, work perfectly on the Wii, but Zelda constantly has issues. The first Twilight Princess we bought would always freeze at the 10 minute mark, right before we would herd the cattle at Ordon Ranch. Believing it was game problem (that kept repeating) we exchanged it for a new Zelda and had the exact same issue at the exact same part. At this point we were not only confused as hell as to why only Zelda was posing problems.

A few days later we bought a fresh new copy of Twilight Princess from a completely seperate retailer just to see once more what would happen, and as expected at the exact same spot and time it froze to a black screen. Now we're sure it's a Wii issue and we're both incredibly frustrated with it. We've been waiting for zelda for so long and we can't get past the first 10 minutes.

Does anyone have any idea why only zelda is not reading well on my Wii and everything else works fine? I wrote Nintendo but I will also call them. We're planning on exchanging the Wii with the retailer we bought it from once they get new shipments, but needless to say this last week has sucked.

penguini

Banned
I'm not sure if this is an error with the system of with Zelda: TP, but when I use the Boomerang, Fishing Pole, etc it says I have to point the Wiimote at the TV... so I do, but it won't register until I move the Wiimote to point directly at the sensor below my TV. Does anyone else have this problem?

R-User!

Or I suck at "Drag Dropping"..... <_<..... not!

So has anyone moved around their Address entries in their Address book via holding A and B while highlighting said entry??????

thanks....

ballhog

I was having trouble connecting to the shopping channel, sometimes it would just spin that blue ring until I turned the thing off. A few times it finally connected to the main shop page but when I tried getting to the VC section it would spin again and eventually give me an error message. Setting my router to channel 1 seems to have fixed that. I get some flickering interference when I change channels though. The speaker in my wiimote is also crackly sounding, turning it way down helped.

Pellham

Banned
I plugged my Wii into some new cheapo speakers I bought from Best Buy and now get the crackling audio issue. I think the bluetooth or some other wireless thing is just messing with it. I get no crackling from my old speakers.

Also, my Wii sometimes freezes at a black screen when switching channels or going back to the wii menu from a channel. Kinda annoying since I have to unplug the power cable in order to get the machine back on.

Duderz

Banned
Pellham said:
I plugged my Wii into some new cheapo speakers I bought from Best Buy and now get the crackling audio issue. I think the bluetooth or some other wireless thing is just messing with it. I get no crackling from my old speakers.

Also, my Wii sometimes freezes at a black screen when switching channels or going back to the wii menu from a channel. Kinda annoying since I have to unplug the power cable in order to get the machine back on.

Could the Bluetooth signal really do something like that? :/

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
if your speakers aren't shielded (which would be rare nowadays) the RF from the Wii (bluetooth, wifi, etc) could definitely cause interference with them.

suaveric

borghe said:
if your speakers aren't shielded (which would be rare nowadays) the RF from the Wii (bluetooth, wifi, etc) could definitely cause interference with them.

it could also happen to the speaker wire. i have some great speakers for my computer but the cheap ass wire it came with wasn't shielded enough and certain cell phones gave all kinds of interference.

penguini said:
I'm not sure if this is an error with the system of with Zelda: TP, but when I use the Boomerang, Fishing Pole, etc it says I have to point the Wiimote at the TV... so I do, but it won't register until I move the Wiimote to point directly at the sensor below my TV. Does anyone else have this problem?
Well, it can't detect exactly where you're pointing except in relation to the sensor bar. It seems to bring that message up if you've got the controller in such a position/angle that it's not seeing the sensor bar at all, which has happened to me often enough with the remote sitting on my lap.

The Wii main menu does have a setting you can change as to whether the sensor bar is above or below the TV; I don't remember what it's on by default but you might try playing with that if your pointing experience seems bad.

Duderz

Banned
borghe said:

Well, this makes me think that's what my problem is. I have no idea if my speakers in my Samsung DLP TV are shielded or not.

I'm going to give Nintendo a call now too. :/

Sagitario

Question about updating the Wii and getting a corrupted firmware (needing a replace because of bricking):

Is the problem within the update [the update corrupts the firmware] or is it because there is something wrong with the console causing the corruption when updating?
Should I wait to update?

NotWii

Banned
Farore said:
Question about updating the Wii and getting a corrupted firmware (needing a replace because of bricking):

Is the problem within the update [the update corrupts the firmware] or is it because there is something wrong with the console causing the corruption when updating?
Should I wait to update?
It is because of defective flash memory shorting out when being flashed.
Firmware is fine.

Sagitario

Wii said:
It is because of defective flash memory shorting out when being flashed.
Firmware is fine.

So... it's hardware related... =\

I guess I should update now to know if I've a defective system...
I hope everything is fine with my console because I imported from USA and I can't send my system to NOA... >__< ...

Farore said:
So... it's hardware related... =\

I guess I should update now to know if I've a defective system...
I hope everything is fine with my console because I imported from USA and I can't send my system to NOA... >__< ...

Wow. I have the same issue... I don't know if I should update or not. Where I bought it, they told me "Don't update now, wait a couple of weeks to do it"... and I'm in Argentina, if anything goes wrong, they have to re-send the system to NOA :/

Sagitario

__Andrea__ said:
Wow. I have the same issue... I don't know if I should update or not. Where I bought it, they told me "Don't update now, wait a couple of weeks to do it"... and I'm in Argentina, if anything goes wrong, they have to re-send the system to NOA :/

I'm in México... I updated and everything is fine...
Deberías actualizar para saber si la consola está defectuosa...
¿Tienes parientes en EU?

I posted this in another topic, but was hoping someone else here can help me.

When I play Wii games (Zelda and Excite Truck), I get these weird snowy white spots in different parts of my Panasonic SDTV:

zelda_spots.jpg

The kind of look like streaks of tearing, flickers and really visible on white backgrounds.

The strange thing is I just tried a GC game, Fire Emblem, and didn't see *any* of those spots at all. Didn't show up in VC games as well. So it looks like they only appear in Wii games, which is a total bummer to me.

GAF....HHEEAAALLP!

Duderz

Banned
Try hooking up your Wii to a different tV, and go through the same procrss: play a VC game, play a GC game, then play a Wii game. If it still happens with a Wii game only, I'd definitely call Nintendo. Explain to them the situation, and see what they can think of.

If the snowing effect doesn't happen on another TV, man, it sure beats me.

Xeke

Banned
Oh here's a fun one. Every now and then I turn my Wii on and the light turns green but it doesn't actually turn on, in fact it wont accept discs, eject discs, start fans or display anything on the screen. It just requires me to unplug it and let it sit for about 5 minutes and its fine.

mutsu

Probably off-topic, but a quick question...

Will you be able to access the Wii Shops, if you have a Japanese Wii, and you are using it outside of Japan?

Similarly, if you have a US Wii, can you access the Wii Shops if you are playing it outside of the US?

Pimpbaa

gettergooey said:
I posted this in another topic, but was hoping someone else here can help me.

When I play Wii games (Zelda and Excite Truck), I get these weird snowy white spots in different parts of my Panasonic SDTV:

The kind of look like streaks of tearing, flickers and really visible on white backgrounds.

The strange thing is I just tried a GC game, Fire Emblem, and didn't see *any* of those spots at all. Didn't show up in VC games as well. So it looks like they only appear in Wii games, which is a total bummer to me.

GAF....HHEEAAALLP!

GPU overheating maybe? That would explain why it wouldn't show up in GC games (since the GPU would be underclocked) or VC games (since that wouldn't be GPU intensive at all).

Pimpbaa said:
GPU overheating maybe? That would explain why it wouldn't show up in GC games (since the GPU would be underclocked) or VC games (since that wouldn't be GPU intensive at all).

That's a definite possibility actually. Especially since the 360 has similar symptoms when overheating...

Xeke

Banned
Duderz said:
Yeah, for that, take it to Nintendo.

Imagine how annoying that will get two, three years from now. :/

I will. I'm going to try to put up with it till summer when its more convenient to do all the shipping.

Ok, did a bit more testing....played Trauma Center, no spots/tearing in the 2D cutscenes, but could see them once I got to the 3D surgery levels.

Tried Mario 64, also saw the spots/tearing. So I think it really only shows up when the game is rendering 3D stuff...which is so weird.

The Wii itself is pretty warm, but not hot. I'm going to try unplugging it for several hours to cool it down completely before calling Nintendo.

I could have sworn these spots only appeared in the last few days..

Durante

gettergooey said:
Ok, did a bit more testing....played Trauma Center, no spots/tearing in the 2D cutscenes, but could see them once I got to the 3D surgery levels.

Tried Mario 64, also saw the spots/tearing. So I think it really only shows up when the game is rendering 3D stuff...which is so weird.
Could be some defective framebuffer RAM. Just make sure to use your warranty before it expires.

Durante said:
Could be some defective framebuffer RAM. Just make sure to use your warranty before it expires.

Arrgh ok, I'll call Nintendo then.

Has anyone else's repaired system came back with all the saves, VC Games, Miis, friends contacts intact? That's my biggest worry, really.

wow, what the hell is going on. Whatever happened to Nintendo quality. Is it just me or are there actually too many issues with this system. Well I won't be getting a Wii for around 6 months, so it better be sorted by then.

Top Bottom