• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Issues thread

Xeke

Banned
Duderz said:
Won't your warranty have expired by then? :/

Like was said, it comes with a year warranty and you get an extra 90 days for registering it on Nintendo.com, good deal.

Ok just called Nintendo - they said this is the first time they've heard of such a problem and they don't think that it's the defective framebuffer RAM issue.

Their hunch is that its got to do with defective AV composite cables, so they suggested I try and hunt for a replacement. Of course since there are no cables out now, I'm kinda screwed. :mad:

I guess I can still play Zelda since it's not a major thing but I don't want to ruin the experience with something so irritating.

polg

my issue is that my wiimotes loose sync with the wii.
Lights blink, but never connects. Trying the manual synchronisation (pressing the red buttons on the wiimote and the wii) and it still doesnt work.

Last night it just started working again, but tonight... just aint happening :(

the thoroughbred said:
wow, what the hell is going on. Whatever happened to Nintendo quality. Is it just me or are there actually too many issues with this system. Well I won't be getting a Wii for around 6 months, so it better be sorted by then.
yeah soooo many issues from 1m units!!
GAF = the world!!

polg said:
my issue is that my wiimotes loose sync with the wii.
Lights blink, but never connects. Trying the manual synchronisation (pressing the red buttons on the wiimote and the wii) and it still doesnt work.

Last night it just started working again, but tonight... just aint happening :(

When this happens unplug the power cord from the system. Once you boot back up everything should work right :)

Mar

I have an issue but thankfully it's not a large one.

On my second Wiimote that I got with Wiiplay, the 2nd blue LED doesn't work. Which had me stumped for ages thinking the Wiimote wasn't getting any power, as that was being used for the second player.

Still don't know if I'll bother getting a replacement. I can live without a blue light.

patrickthehedgehog said:
When this happens unplug the power cord from the system. Once you boot back up everything should work right :)

Yeah. This happened to my Wii this morning, just shortly after getting it. Scared me half to death. ;_; Controller REFUSED to sync back up even after turning it off. But unplugging it did the trick!

Does anyone have what look like small fractures/cracks on their Wiimotes, around the -, +, Home, 1, 2 buttons and player LEDs? They look like scratches but don't feel like scratches.

Farore said:
I'm in México... I updated and everything is fine...
Deberías actualizar para saber si la consola está defectuosa...
¿Tienes parientes en EU?

No, I don't have relatives there, but the console is under warranty (3 months, expires on March), so, if it brakes, I'm resending it to the place where I bought it, and they have to send it to NOA.

I think i'll try to update it this weekend.

gkryhewy

BrodiemanTTR said:
Does anyone have what look like small fractures/cracks on their Wiimotes, around the -, +, Home, 1, 2 buttons and player LEDs? They look like scratches but don't feel like scratches.

Yes.

Hmm. I'm getting a really laggy, jittery pointer on the Wii's menu screens. Also during Wii Play. Yet it's fine in Zelda and Rayman.

I've done everything possible to try and fix it, but nothing has worked. Even during the sensitivity test where it shows the 2 blinking dots, they move around smoothly. Yet as soon as I go back to the menu, the hand icon is lagging. And twisting it causes the hand to spaz around the screen in random locations.

=|

Dunno if anyone else in this thread has encountered it, but when I enter my Wii Sports disc into the Wii, it actually vibrates a lot more than with my Zelda disc for example. Is there something to the Wii sports disc that causes the Wii's disc drive to spin faster and therefore vibrate more than other discs? Anyone else found this to be the case?

jarosh said:
hmm. doesn't sound like the same issue to be honest. it doesn't "kick in" here and it doesn't just go away when i restart the system either. it's just there. i suppose it's just some magical voodoo combination of the wii and my receiver/speakers. again, it's very minor. i bet most people wouldn't even notice it. hell, sometimes i forget about it myself and stop noticing it.

I think I might have the same issue. The sound crackles slightly and disorts as if im blasting it too high for the speakers to take.. yet im not.
Its noticable in the jingle on the wii channel menu and noticable when the wiisports jingle plays (when you select the disc channel)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Martoo said:
I have an issue but thankfully it's not a large one.

On my second Wiimote that I got with Wiiplay, the 2nd blue LED doesn't work. Which had me stumped for ages thinking the Wiimote wasn't getting any power, as that was being used for the second player.

Still don't know if I'll bother getting a replacement. I can live without a blue light.

can you de-sync the first wiimote and swap them over so 2=1 and 1=2?

big_z

14. Lock up in wii store (hyp)
Lock ups in the wii store whilst connecting

I had this problem too after updating my system. However i went through all the system settings and changed/reverified them again. Some of them changed on me after the update so i figure the update might of screwed some stuff.

I also deleted my wifi router and re-did that crap. No problems since and wifi store is a lot faster now.

The hand cursor is still a bit jerky though.

maxmars

As for the lockups in the store, remember: it's a web page that's created in real time, so it may 'hang' (much like GAF does oftentimes today).. It may just be that you're accessing it while everybody else is.

Give them a month or two to iron out the quirks.

painey

woke up this morning, turned on my Wii via the wiimote, selected wii sports and Start, got the A/B confirmation screen and when i pressed nothing happened.. my Wiimote was un-synced. Kept trying to sync them and no dice.. ill give it a go later but its an un-needed pain

Gio_CoD

Banned
The only issue I'm having is that my Wiimote eats some batteries. Nothing like the Wavebird. Though, I guess the wavebird didn't have bluetooth, accelerometers, and rumble built in. I might have to invest in those rechargeables.

painey said:
woke up this morning, turned on my Wii via the wiimote, selected wii sports and Start, got the A/B confirmation screen and when i pressed nothing happened.. my Wiimote was un-synced. Kept trying to sync them and no dice.. ill give it a go later but its an un-needed pain

I've been having the same issue. It's a real pain, and unacceptable AFAIC and unexpected from a Nintendo system.

Is this something that could be fixed in the future with a firmware update?

Infernal Monkey said:
Hmm. I'm getting a really laggy, jittery pointer on the Wii's menu screens. Also during Wii Play. Yet it's fine in Zelda and Rayman.

I've done everything possible to try and fix it, but nothing has worked. Even during the sensitivity test where it shows the 2 blinking dots, they move around smoothly. Yet as soon as I go back to the menu, the hand icon is lagging. And twisting it causes the hand to spaz around the screen in random locations.

=|
I think it's just due to software. I too notice a difference in jitteriness of the pointer in various applications. The Wii main menu is somewhat jittery, the Mii Channel is even more jittery, Twilight Princess is perfectly smooth. Originally I thought some of them were doing a bit of buffering so they wouldn't spaz as easily, but like you I checked out the direct camera view in the sensitivity test and I don't see any indication that it should be detecting little spazes.

Rlan

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes my Wii just.. sort of locks up. Something like Amir0x, though in the Mii channel instead. Sometimes it'll just sort of sit there for a bit, sometimes 30 seconds afterwards it'll start up, sometimes I'm too impatient and just restart the system again.

It happens when I'm going in and out of the Mii Channel, sometimes even when I click a button, like it may take 10 seconds for the "Send to friend" option to appear.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I've had trouble with my Wii loading discs on occasion

it just seems to click

as if the dvd drive or what ever is falling... i dont know how they work... but it sounds like its moving then theres a bit of a click then it tries again

twice i've had eject the disc turn it off and try again

tenchir

Finally solved my sporadic wifi connection issue. I found the solution on wiierrors.com. Turns out that if I removed my gamecube memory cards from the wii slot, the connection issues goes away.

sonatinas

This has happened to me twice. When i exit the Mii Channel to return to the main menu the Wii will freeze and there will be a black screen. I have to do a hard reset. I hope it's firmware because I don't want to return my Wii.

Maximilian

DIYMF Alumni
Only issue I've had so far is that there have been freezes sometimes when I go into the Mii channel while transitioning from the menu to the channel. It's happened twice and I've had to restart both times.

As for things I'd like changed WTF is up with only having 100 Miis?!? Boo.

koam

Pikmindictator said:
I can confirm the "slightly tapping the remote remedy" if the accelometer craps out on you after someone smashes it into some thing/one :D

It's amazing, that's happened to me twice and it works perfectly when i do the remedy.

Captain N

i'm getting the error code 61212..it says it's a network problem on their end..anyone else getting this problem right now?

Bert

HELP ME!

I was messing around in the settings, I was going to see what the Australian Store looked like so I changed my country to Australia (or possibly Austria :) ).

Anyway, I went back to the Wii menu and selected the Shop Channel, I get a message saying I have to agree to a different TOs or something, but (and here's my issue) suddenly the wiimote isn't working.

I mean nothing, like it's not even on. Then after pushing some buttons it starts to flash all the LEDs but only three of them work :(

Now neither the wiimote that came with system, nor the oneI got with Wii play will sync with the system, they just flash all their lights when I push a button. i've tried resetting, removing the power, changing the batteries, pressing both red buttons, pressing 1+2, everything.

What can i do GAF?

dkeane

Bert said:
HELP ME!

I was messing around in the settings, I was going to see what the Australian Store looked like so I changed my country to Australia (or possibly Austria :) ).

Anyway, I went back to the Wii menu and selected the Shop Channel, I get a message saying I have to agree to a different TOs or something, but (and here's my issue) suddenly the wiimote isn't working.

I mean nothing, like it's not even on. Then after pushing some buttons it starts to flash all the LEDs but only three of them work :(

Now neither the wiimote that came with system, nor the oneI got with Wii play will sync with the system, they just flash all their lights when I push a button. i've tried resetting, removing the power, changing the batteries, pressing both red buttons, pressing 1+2, everything.

What can i do GAF?

Turn the system off, then on, at the health warning screen hold the red sync button on the console for about 20 seconds. That will erase all controller sync info. Then try your controllers. This worked for me.

Clouseau

Has anyone noticed flickering dots on the image their Wii outputs? If I look at the main menu....above the 4th channel from the left (in the top row) I see some flickering dots. I also see 1 flickering dot *inside* the second channel from the left in the top row. I also notice them in different spots in Wii Sports, depending on what is being displayed on the screen. In boxing I see one lone flickering dot right above player 1 portrait in the top left.

It's not my television as I don't see this on any other source. I don't think its cabling either as I see it on composite or component. I'm letting the Wii fully cool down right now to see if it is an overheating issue, but I don't think thats it either. I never noticed these in Zelda or any of the other games. It could have been there all along as it isn't very obvious.

Bildi

Warning to everyone! Don't eat a carrot and play with the Nunchuk at the same time. My thumb was clean but the tiny amount of vegetable oil that must have been left on my thumb from the carrot stained the control stick and it's a bit yellow now. This may apply to other similar vegetables and possibly even some types of fruit (yes, even tomato).

I'm thinking of filing a class action lawsuit because there were no warnings about this. And before anyone asks, yes I had my wrist strap on at the time of this incident.

I have lag with the cursor on the Wii Menu since the wii froze while playing zelda :/
In Mii chanel, Photo channel and games, it's smooth but not in the menu or when I push the home button.

It seems to be a firmware problem :eek:
Anyone has this problem ?

temjin

Banned
Warning to everyone! Don't eat a carrot and play with the Nunchuk at the same time. My thumb was clean but the tiny amount of vegetable oil that must have been left on my thumb from the carrot stained the control stick and it's a bit yellow now.
Yah, same exact thing happened to me. It's slightly orange now. :(

Clouseau

Update on the flickering dots: If I hold the wiimote cursor over any of the spots I see a flickering dot, it hides them. So it can't be overheating causing video corruption or it would be consistant. If I flick to the Bonk VC loading menu, the same place that had a couple flickering dots now has none. I thought it might be the really bright colored areas that were doing it....but then I go to the Mii channel which is almost pure white, and there are no flickering dots there. Really weird...

Oh and I did load Zelda and if I look close enough I can see a dot flicker here or there....but its really hard to see because there aren't any huge areas of one solid color to make them obvious. I guess I'll call Nintendo and see what they think. They might just replace the system anyway. I've heard they are very good about that.

But if anyone else can look if they have the same thing, that would be great. The easiest spot for me to see them is above the 4th top row channel from the left (in the background space). I'll see if I can get a picture.

EDIT: Tried snapping a photo like 10x, but can't capture them.

Clouseau

Well I tried to get through to Nintendo about my flickering dot problem I described above. Their lines are all busy. (like the component video cable ordering fiasco :lol )

So I shot a detailed email off to them and made sure to include all the testing I've done with different cables and televisions. Hopefully they just send me a new system and I hope they can enable me to redownload my 4 VC games if they do replace it for me.

It's not a huge deal breaker atm because it is hard to notice in a lot of cases and doesn't effect gameplay at all.

Clouseau

Well I got through to Nintendo. The guy was very nice. I explained to him that I had already checked different inputs, different televisions, and different cables. He was more than happy to skip over his troubleshooting book and get right to the business of repair or replace. :lol

He gave me a choice of sending it in for repair and they would keep all my data intact UNLESS they found they had to replace the system or I could just get an advanced replacement brand new console sent out. I chose to just eat the couple VC games I bought and go with advanced replacement. Repair would have taken a couple weeks according to the rep and if they found in the end that it needed to be replaced anyway I'd be in the same situation. My new Wii will ship out today UPS 2day.

Nintendo already tracks your VC purchases through your mynintendo account if you link it. They better create a system where VC games can be transferred eventually or I can forsee some HUGE losses for some consumers. Oh well...I'm just glad I didn't go crazy and buy tons of VC games, even though I was tempted...

mutsu

"1. Credit Cards" isn't a problem at all for me.

I just got my Japanese Wii yesterday (boy am I and my wife loving it). I tried purchasing some Wii Points in the Shopping Channel, using my VISA card which is issued in Australia. I doubted that it would work (after reading this thread).

Well, it turns out that it worked! I purchased 1000 Wii Points using the VISA card. Bought Ice Hockey as my first Virtual Console game!

Bildi

temjin said:
Yah, same exact thing happened to me. It's slightly orange now. :(

Yeah, kinda sucks eh? I tried soap, metho, mineral turps and baking soda. None helped unfortunately. On the plus side, the control stick is not affected by any of these solvents whatsoever. Guess it's just vegetables. :lol

I'm hoping it fades with use. Only one way to find out!

gettergooey said:
I posted this in another topic, but was hoping someone else here can help me.

When I play Wii games (Zelda and Excite Truck), I get these weird snowy white spots in different parts of my Panasonic SDTV:

zelda_spots.jpg

The kind of look like streaks of tearing, flickers and really visible on white backgrounds.

The strange thing is I just tried a GC game, Fire Emblem, and didn't see *any* of those spots at all. Didn't show up in VC games as well. So it looks like they only appear in Wii games, which is a total bummer to me.

GAF....HHEEAAALLP!

I had the exact same problem with mine. It showed up in Photo Channel as well. I wonder what it is?

swoon

q*bert said:
Well I got through to Nintendo. The guy was very nice. I explained to him that I had already checked different inputs, different televisions, and different cables. He was more than happy to skip over his troubleshooting book and get right to the business of repair or replace. :lol

He gave me a choice of sending it in for repair and they would keep all my data intact UNLESS they found they had to replace the system or I could just get an advanced replacement brand new console sent out. I chose to just eat the couple VC games I bought and go with advanced replacement. Repair would have taken a couple weeks according to the rep and if they found in the end that it needed to be replaced anyway I'd be in the same situation. My new Wii will ship out today UPS 2day.

Nintendo already tracks your VC purchases through your mynintendo account if you link it. They better create a system where VC games can be transferred eventually or I can forsee some HUGE losses for some consumers. Oh well...I'm just glad I didn't go crazy and buy tons of VC games, even though I was tempted...

you can redownload vc games for free, just link yr info to mynintendo. i just got my wii back and my VC games were fine buy my saves were gone. they also didn't send me my zelda back, which is a bigger issue.

Pallaris

Not sure if this has been mentioned but 3 times now, when loading a new disc and selecting 'start' from the disc menu the system will hang at a black screen (But not crash). At this point my wiimote's lights start flashing (as if it's lost sync and is trying to reconnect) and at a random time the strap disclaimer image will appear and the game will load as normal (normally from start to the warning image its like 4 seconds)

Anyone have any idea what could be happening?

Same thing happens to me sometimes, Pallaris.

Also, I don't want to create a new thread, but sometimes I get DRE about 20 times in a row. I keep taking the disc out and putting it back in, resetting it, even unplugging it, but it decides all on its own when it wants to work. Please, what can I do? Can I take it to the Nintendo store? Do I have to mail it to them? Also, how do I register the system with nintendo for the warrantee?

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned here yet:

Yesterday, my Wii died entirely. Couldn't power up, no light on for standby, nothing. Checked the wall socket - fine. Checked the fuse in the plug - fine. Checked the PSU - fine. Couldn't smell anything from the system, so it didn't seem like something had burnt out. After fiddling with all of the cabling I plugged the system back in & the orange standby light flicked on. Booted it back up and it was running perfectly. Played through yesterday, then shut it down in standby last night.

Came back to it this morning & turned on. Popped into the address book and left it idling for 20-30 minutes while I checked a few things online on my computer. All of a sudden the power dies again. Same as before, no response after unplugging and replugging. Left it unplugged for five minutes then tried again and the standby light was back on again.

It seems like there's some kind of intermittent problem here, but I'm ****ed if I know where it is. Anyone else had a similar problem? Is it perhaps a PSU issue, or could it be the system overheating and just shutting down after being in standby for a long period?

tetsuoxb

PeterBazooka said:
I had the exact same problem with mine. It showed up in Photo Channel as well. I wonder what it is?

I just started getting this issue today. They are called sparkles, and I am disappointed they are occuring. I think a recent system update caused it.

Top Bottom