• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Motion+ news and discussion thread (rd 06/08/09 $19.99, WSR's bundle $49.99)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Haunted said:
Wow, they managed to make a game without any lighting. That's impressive.

Virtua Tennis 2009 - June

They postponed the release of the game, new date is June now (we don't have a precise day yet).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
When they say 1:1, it's about the ability of Wiimotion+

Grand slam tennis may not be 1:1, but that's because the programmers decided they want only 8 positions, and mapped different ranges of wiimote positions to the in game racket angle. In other words, the hardware offers a certain degree of sensitivity, but if developers wish, they can make it less sensitive by having more positions represented by a common in game position.

Say with Wii motion plus, there are 360 possible positions (angles) to hold the racket. if a developer wants, they have 36 different holding angles in game by simply having positions 1-10 map to position 1, and so on. they can do similar maps with swinging motions to produce different amounts of spin, and another map for the accelerometer for the force of the swing. Multiplying all of these different aspects of a swing allows literally thousands of unique swings possible for any given player.

markatisu

Dash Kappei said:
Virtua Tennis 2009 - June

They postponed the release of the game, new date is June now (we don't have a precise day yet).

Right now the goal is still June 2nd. With EA’s news it looks like the two titles will be going head-to-head out the door, either the week after or the same week, depending on how it plays out. This one will be a battle either way. Still, VT has a great legacy behind it and battles like this can and do happen - we’ll continue to push and promote the game, and word of mouth from the VT fans also seriously helps. I know where my money lies, but then, I am a bit biased. - SEGA board admin

http://boards2.sega.com/sega_board/viewtopic.php?t=104424

So that makes

Virtua Tennis 2009 - June 2
Wii MotionPlus accessory - June 8
Tiger Woods M+ Bundle - June 8
Grand Slam Tennis - June 8
Wii Sports Resort - July 26
Food Network: Cook or Be Cooked - Fall 2009 (Cooking game by Red Fly, developers of Ghostbusters Wii and Mushroom Men)
Red Steel 2 - Holiday 2009

nli10

legend166 said:
Punch Out isn't using MotionPlus.

Which is a big indicator to me that they don't expect Super Punch Out to sell to the casuals. (or the casuals to notice the difference)

nli10 said:
Which is a big indicator to me that they don't expect Super Punch Out to sell to the casuals. (or the casuals to notice the difference)
Oooor that Punch-Out!! retains its 25-year-old controls so faithfully that there's nothing more Motion+ would add? Other than perhaps the ability to see one of Mac's hands shuffle like yours when not punching?

Dash Kappei

JoshuaJSlone said:
Oooor that Punch-Out!! retains its 25-year-old controls so faithfully that there's nothing more Motion+ would add? Other than perhaps the ability to see one of Mac's hands shuffle like yours when not punching?

I agree, but as it is Punch Out controls seems half assed motion-controls wise.
PO!! doesn't even use the usual motion controls "properly", you need to use the analog stick to throw jab or chest punches, maybe with M+ you could have had a proper setup, after all they did use the Balance Board so it's not like they didn't want to dip in Nintendo's splitting audience accessories

markatisu

Grand Slam Tennis Preview

http://wii.ign.com/articles/980/980925p1.html
One of EA's main goals with Grand Slam Tennis was to nurture an online experience that could be connected to quickly and seamlessly. The game builds upon and streamlines the tech utilized for the online portion of Madden 09 for even speedier access times. According to the developer, it'll take less than 30 seconds and you'll "be online and playing." To that end, the title once more utilizes EA Nation and altogether bypasses Nintendo's stunted and unnecessary friend codes system.

The other priority for the studio was online gameplay with no noticeable latency -- a goal it achieved. The developer is proud that gamers will not be able to detect any latency while playing against each other online, and this is even true during doubles matches (two players per console).

Gamers will be able to go online as their created players -- they all have the same skill levels -- or as one of the 23 licensed athletes. Any venue can be played online, too. The title also supports competitiveness by way of online leaderboard tracking by way of the Battle of the Nations, where the results from every match you play are tracked and contribute to your nation's overall score and ranking.

dkeane

It's good to see EA pushing what they're offering for the Wii. Tiger looks amazing, and I generally dislike realistic golf games.

markatisu

Bluemercury said:
More third party stuff of course....

Again wait for E3, remember we were not supposed to see the leaked Red Steel 2 trailer. All we were supposed to know was the initial write ups in Nintendo Power and ONM

Red Steel 2 will probably be a big part of Ubisofts E3 presentation. We have no idea what else M+ could be used for (its good for some sports but its almost useless in FPS games unless they have melee)

Dash Kappei

Bluemercury said:
With all the E3 hype is pretty depressing that were not hearing anything regarding wii and motion plus....

Ehmm, June 2nd.

BrandNew said:
I think that's kinda the point mang
:lol :lol

edit:

markatisu said:
Again wait for E3, remember we were not supposed to see the leaked Red Steel 2 trailer.

HOLY SHIT :O

How did I missed that?? Thanks!

It's.. it's... I... I... SO FUCKIN' HYPED!
Damn it's been so much time a teaser trailer had such an impact on me, and I love that it's 100% confirmed to play exclusively with the Motion Plus.
Hopefully we will see a bundle for the game with M+ as well as a solus sku.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDiktl5fj9A&feature=fvsr

markatisu

Dash Kappei said:
Hopefully we will se a bundle for the game with M+ as well as a solus sku.

I think there definitely will be a bundle, its coming out during the holidays so people will spend without asking questions. Also if M+ is required or needed in any way you cannot risk losing sales with the hopes people have picked up M+ previously so there should at least be two SKU's

Dash Kappei

Disc Golf in TW10 is M+ exclusive or can be played even without it?
Do you guys have a link to a good video showing only Disc Golf? I'd like to put it in the OP since I've been hearing a lot of people raving about it since it has been shown.

On a totally unrelated matter, you know guys what I really hope we'll hear about at E3?
Wiiware's Motion+ games. 3d party or 1st, just give to us early adopter more reasons to be happy and constantly engaged about our purchase, exploit more than you've done with the balance board (even if I like where they're going with that one).

I mean, give us a simple Wii Sports like boxing game with M+ for 1000 points since the Wii Sports one is totally outdated and unresposive and there isn't going to be an equivalent one on WSR.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Bluemercury said:
With all the E3 hype is pretty depressing that were not hearing anything regarding wii and motion plus....

There is actually a lot more excitement/hype in N.A it seems in terms of seeing it in use.

Japan...a big fat nothing.

swerve

schuelma said:
There is actually a lot more excitement/hype in N.A it seems in terms of seeing it in use.

Dragon Quest Swords: The Thing of the Thing and The Thing Thing.

markatisu said:
we were not supposed to see the leaked Red Steel 2 trailer

Nor were we supposed to know that it was being shown at an SCEA event.

schuelma said:

well to be fair japan seems to be a bit fat nogthing for eveything.

Fantastical said:
Yeah, but I expect it to be a bit deeper than that. Like how WS had different training modes.
I don't expect a lot of depth but I've yet to see a Disc Golf vid where you can also do throws behind your back like in Frisbee Dog (Reggie demoed that at E3). It'll be a little bit of a waste again ("wasting" these controls on smaller games). Hopefully third parties pick up what Nintendo does with the controls this time.

Dash Kappei

33vons6.jpg

:lol :lol

Australia only.

Sega Australia kicks ass: the Sega Megadrive vinyl, HotD:Overkill guns bundle and now this.

Dash Kappei said:
You sure about that?
Well, it sure looks like the plastic outer covering goes right below the wiimote, which wouldn't allow for it unless the bottom is paper thin. So it's going for the market who wants to spend a lot of money and LOOK like they're playing real tennis, but not spend extra money to PLAY realer tennis?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
btw for the non-AusGAF, Motion Plus addon down here is $AU34.95.

swerve

VOOK said:
btw for the non-AusGAF, Motion Plus addon down here is $AU34.95.

How does that stack up against a nunchuck, or the dance mat, or the HOTD gun?

Currency conversion wise, it seems cheaper than the UK, and suggests the Japanese price will be around 2,800 yen.

Davey Cakes

Well, from IGN's comments, I gather that Tiger Woods '10 for Wii is undoubtedly the definitive version of the game. So far it seems like the only thing about the game that could be considered "not hot" would be the graphics, though they are a step above last year's offering.

Dash Kappei

Pachter: "at least 10 millions M+s by January 2010" and "Red Steel 2 will surely have a bundle sku with M+"

Edge said:
Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter expects Nintendo’s upcoming Wii MotionPlus peripheral to sell over ten million units in Europe and the US this year.

-

“I think around 20 percent of Wii owners in the US and Europe will have bought Wii Sports Resort, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 or EA Sports Grand Slam Tennis,” which will come bundled with the Wii Remote add-on, “so that's around eight million,” he told Edge. “I think another two million will buy MotionPlus with new consoles.

“I expect MotionPlus to be a sneaky success (like Wii Fit), and ultimately attach to at least one third of the [Wii's] installed base,” he added.

Meanwhile, EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich was slightly more cautious in his short-term sales estimates, although he expects the add-on to be largely successful in the long run.

“At this time, we do know that pre-orders are relatively strong, compared to other Wii products,” he told Edge. “By the end of the holidays, the Wii MotionPlus install base in North America and Europe should be well over three million. Of course, our forecast could be conservative... Yearly sales could balloon much higher.

“For the Wii MotionPlus, we currently expect the install base to reach over 11 million units by the end of Nintendo’s next fiscal year in March 2011, a 15 percent penetration

Both analysts also commented on Ubisoft’s plan to release the first (announced) MotionPlus-only title, Red Steel 2, later this year. The game’s creative director has already said that the decision not to support regular Wii controllers is “a huge risk” based on the difficulty of predicting MotionPlus market penetration.

“Ubisoft’s decision is incredibly risky,” said Divnich, “but there are certain benefits to developing a title just for MotionPlus over a hybrid control system. Ubisoft will be able to reduce development costs and time by only having to focus on one controller scheme. The time saved by having to only focus on one controller layout will allow them to expand Red Steel 2 even further, likely increasing review scores.”

With a forecast MotionPlus installed base of around ten million units come the action title’s release, Pachter feels “Red Steel 2 may come along at precisely the right time, around when people are ready for another [MotionPlus] game.

“The risk is really more a function of competition, compounded by the risk that Ubisoft could make a bad game,” he added. “If there is a highly rated Star Wars game out at the same time that uses MotionPlus, Red Steel 2 sales could suffer.”

Both analysts expect Red Steel 2 to come bundled with the peripheral, with Pachter saying “Ubisoft wouldn't have made the game MotionPlus-only without that as a condition.”

Divnich added: “If Ubisoft can create a compelling title and get the MotionPlus packaging, Red Steel 2 could become a breakout hit in the holiday season. Currently, we forecast Red Steel 2 to sell over 1.2 million units by the end of Ubisoft’s fiscal year in March 2010, but we do note that there could be a great fluctuation to our estimate, more so than any other Ubisoft title, due to the unpredictability of demand in the Wii market.”

Wow, that would be a smashing success, following on Wii Fit's steps.
I hope so :)

alex1893

Dash Kappei said:
yeah, would be cool, but I think it's easily possible.

Didn't have much time to have a look at M+, but now that I've seen the trailers for TW10 and RS2, I'm pretty hyped. :D Count me in multiple times in these 10 million... Tennis isn't really my cup of tea, but Tiger Woods and Red Steel will be day one for me, and maybe I'll jump in on Wii Sports Resort too.

Dash Kappei

alex1893 said:
yeah, would be cool, but I think it's easily possible.

Didn't have much time to have a look at M+, but now that I've seen the trailers for TW10 and RS2, I'm pretty hyped. :D Count me in multiple times in these 10 million...

Yeah, I guess I'll have a couple myself at the very least.
Grand Slam Tennis bundle it's a lock, and so is WSResorts... Red Steel 2 is gone up to a sure buy at this point, but I dunno if I'll bite for a bundle or game solus... I guess it'll depend to how fun is WSR 4p multiplayer.

nli10 said:
Or are they using a leg strap too?

I dunno but they're using the Balance Board as well as M+.

Dash Kappei

markatisu said:
I love how Matt was like "it wont come out" and then as he was doing it he was corrected very quickly :lol

I can't see the vid, damn, so it's re-confirmed that M+ is actually detachable from the new "remote with M+" jacket, right?

Otherwise I need to fix the op.

Top Bottom