• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii? Non! - Nintendo Land |OT|

Kenka

H0VjT.png

Nintendo Land is the latest entry in a series of software destined to be adopted by the largest number of people. In that sense, it is the successor of Wii Sports, and before that, of the Touch! Generation line-up.
Like the titles mentioned, its broad appeal aims at conquering the casual market, and, it’s a novelty, make it curious about more sophisticated forms of gameplay, or better said, hardcore games.

i9rPNTVA2aJVT.png

Reviews
GameMaster review - 86%
IGN - 8.7/10
1UP - B+
Gamexplain (video review) - 4.5/5 (multiplayer), 4/5 (singleplayer)
GamesBeat - 83/100
Joystiq - 4/5
GameInformer - 7/10
Destructoid - 7/10
Gamespot - 8.0/10

Previews
GameXplain - Video Preview E3 2012 (Animal Crossing: Sweet Day, Luigi's Ghost Mansion, Donkey Kong's Crash Course, and Takamara's Ninja Castle)
GameXplain - Video Preview E3 2012 (Yoshi's Fruit Cart, Octopus Dance, and Captain Falcon's Twister Race)

News on GAF
NSMBU & Nintendo Land Download Sizes & Japan DD games
Nintendo Land Zelda Battle Quest UK commercial
Nintendo Land - Yoshi's Fruit Cart and Octopus Dance Revealed

Updates
2012-11-13 - Official website not updated yet.
2012-11-14 - Bill Trinen explains how Miiverse is integrated in Nintendo Land. All features might not be unveiled yet.
2012-11-14 - Nintendo Land Plazza video at night in English
2012-11-15 - Review Thread up.
2012-11-18 - DD price for NA added to the OP
2012-11-18 - Gamespot's review gives Nintendo Land a 8.0

ivEiNVUNjNGJ.png

Nintendo Land is a mini-game collection that offers single-player and multi-players sessions alike that make use of the Gamepad, the WiiU-only controller that ships with the console. Multi-player is offline so far (as to 2012-11-22).
The game’s content is freely inspired by other Nintendo franchises, hence its name.

ESRB rating: E (10+)
Nr. of players: 1-5

inKn9Fqwp1IqI.png

JP: December 8, 2012
EU: November 30, 2012
NA: November 18, 2012

JP: ¥4,935 (retail) | ¥4,935 (DD)
EU: 50 € (retail) | ?
NA: 59.99 $ (retail) | 59.99 $ (DD)

iB0qCTKOsNB5J.png

12 different mini-games are playable in Nintendo Land, each representing one of the company’s higher profile franchises. F-Zero, Zelda, Mario, you name it

6zUin.png
Metroid Blast (click for video) (1 to 5 players)
5_untitledp5oq8.png

Control either Samus’ gunship or a Mii on foot to defeat other players in a kawai third-person shooter. A co-operative mode has you team up with your mates to defeat waves of enemies.
Gunship user plays with the Gamepad while others play with their wiimote w motionplus+nunchuk combo.
jJ9S3.png
Pikmin Adventure (1 to 5 players)

It is your good old Pikmin game but with some Gamepad sauce. Players can use their wiimote to help Olimar around while being Pikmin themselves, and the goal as usual is to beat a boss at the end of the level.
Based on videos and impressions, this game seems to focus much on action, and less on strategy.
yCao2.png
The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest (1 to 5 players)
5_untitledp5oq8.png

Don’t team up with an asshole: while up to four dudes and gals can swing their sword to cut through cute enemies, the player with the Gamepad gets to look all around your team and shoot arrows at enemies.
If he is not quick enough, you might be caught off-guard by a backdoor attack, and since you all share the same health bar… might actually be a good chunk of fun.
B2WKT.png
Mario Chase (2 to 5 players, multi-only)

The concept is easy as hell. Up to four players with the remote try to catch a Mario who is controlled by the fifth-player with the Gamepad. Really.
9AHDr.png
Luigi's Ghost Mansion (2 to 5 players, multi-only)

From where I stand, one of the most promising concepts of co-op/competitive multiplayer gameplay. One of your mates who plays with the Gamepad is a ghost who wanders in a
2D maze-like environment in which other players also are. Your goal as a ghost is to grab the players and give them a good scare while the players’ role is to avoid/destroy you.
When you are a player, the ghost is invisible. When your Mii senses the ghost near you, your wiimote will start to shake, amplifying the tension. It’s a sign that the Gamepad owner is
willing to have an affair with you. When it’s the case, run! But in what direction? Shedding light from your torch on the ghost weakens him, so that’s another option to stop the fear to spread.
With some pizza and a bunch of lazy friends, this seems like a really enjoyable timekiller.
yfZX9.png
Animal Crossing Sweet Day (2 to 5 players, multi-only)

More is not always better. Use your wiimote to navigate in a 2D environment in which you can grab sweets from trees. Of course, just like in the real world, the more sweets you get, the bigger you grow,
and eventually, you are walking no faster than babies. At this point, beware of the Gamepad dude whose goal is to steal sweets from you. When the game launches, more descriptions will be made available.
1f8oz.png
Yoshi's Fruit Cart (1 player only)

It sounds so simple but yet so frustrating that you wonder how nobody came with the idea before. Well, it’s simply because the game requires you to pay attention to both screens, on the Gamepad and on TV
(you most definitely need a TV to play the game). The goal is to help Yoshi grab fruits present on a plane 2D surface visible on the TV screen but on the Gamepad screen. The catch, you have to draw paths
for Yoshi on the Gamepad screen to grab all fruits before reaching the exit of the level. Sounds meh, looks fucked up and brilliant. Check the video, recommended.
geBTg.png
Octopus Dance (1 player only)

OK, the name sounds interesting. Octopus Dance is a dance/rhythm game which doesn’t require to move your entire body but just your wrists. You must move the Gamepad in order to replicate the moves of
the character on the TV screen who teaches you choreographies. It’s the weakest entry in the list of minigames so far. From what we saw of it, Dance Octopus is a repetitive, simple concept that doesn’t require
anything else but some attention at a very small portion of the screen. Can it be enjoyable while not burn you retina?
BQiUS.png
Donkey Kong's Crash Course (1 player only)

Mine cart chase! Almost. Donkey Kong’s Crash respects its legacy with a mix of Donkey Kong Country and the Donkey Kong arcade game. Your Mii is on a cart that you must guide from a starting point to the end
of the level. It seems like the Gamepad doesn’t contribute much to the game outside its accelerometer which is present also in the Wiimote itself but again, GameMaster stated that solo games are rather forgettable.
JmrHu.png
Nazo no Murasame Jō (Takamaru's Ninja Castle) (1 player only)

It’s the Nintendo Land minigame present in the WiiU TV commercial. Throw shuriken at the moving targets! You can bet Ubisoft will build a shovelware Naruto game around this concept.
YttZQ.png
Captain Falcon's Twister Race (1 player only)

And yes. F-Zero is back. But do I need to go all AVGN on this one? It’s F-Zero but without being F-Zero.
jWLQe.png
Balloon Trip Breeze (1 player only)

The name itself is pretty self-explanatory. Equipped with a jet pack, you fly through dangerous environments. Seriously, why the hell would your Mii do that in first place. Is he/she totally nuts? You can bet
your cat I would immediately back off, had I been asked to sneak through airborne bombs.

i4IeFrw7lgvE6.png

Players can leave messages after each session of playtime which can be read by other players around the world
While in the Nintendo Land Plazza, Miis from other random users can be seen and their remarks is displayed if the palyers gets near them.

itHFmT1rlniSi.png

6fAb-HMzFELxzZ1lURMAEBC8CrfMBWea.jpg
ynaowpflKNys3k1lzFmfwXoAAGalHEeG.jpg
qgWLmA94hb2pqT1V6ZECiHErL2nVk39P.jpg

2mkhA_dnQW8PIGWEzpMsNPIbuWKVSwDa.jpg
tY8TfLWAXh7O-nGOsxYO_vT0NjIboOEu.jpg
GyQ66OLPL56xqo9jfzr18IlVih3URHUa.jpg

Presentation video on official website
Nintendo Land Plazza video at night in English

Big thanks to Quick for the art for the subsections and to Me_Marcadet for the advices. Thanks to Skiesofwonder for keeping the Review Thread tidy.
To all, have a good time :)

MicH

Great OP! Just looking at the pictures makes me excited to play this! The Pikmin game looks SOOO good!

Kenka

Is there something French about Nintendo Land? I don't get the title...
Well, if you ask... many people have complained about Nintendo communicating about the Gamepad literally as if it was an add-on to the Wii. So, normal people may ask "is it for Wii?" and the answer would be no. Now, hold on: "Wii" is pronouned like "oui" in french (yes). And no, is "Non" :pPP

It's called the basic bundle. Save 50 bucks instead of whatever terrible trade in value it will have.

The 2-year NN Deluxe subscription might be worth it for those (like me) planning on going digital - $5 back for every $50 you spend. Plus, you can probably get $30 -$35 off of Nintendo Land if you sell it locally instead of trading it in.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Well, if you ask... many people have complained about Nintendo communicating about the Gamepad literally as if it was an add-on to the Wii. So, normal people may ask "is it for Wii?" and the answer would be no. Now, hold on: "Wii" is pronouned like "oui" in french (yes). And no, is "Non" :pPP

So the official GAF thread is a french reference? Sorry OP that's quite shitty...
We need a re-do... seriously.

and on a side not why the hell is your avatar Alec Baldwin in soccer gear?? :)

Tagg9

Yeah, I got the pun I just wasn't sure how it related to Nintendo Land. We need a new pun.

BTW, nice job - the op looks very clean.

TriGen

Nice OT. And I personally look forward to trying NL.

The Pikmin and Metroid attractions look particulary good. Others such as Octopus Dance and Ninja Castle look kinda meh. Overall, I see myself playing this more than Wii Sports. Wii Sports got a ton of play at Thanksgiving but other than that it pretty much went untouched. With NL I can see myself actually going through all the single-player challenges, as well as doing the 'Thanksgiving' thing.

Haha, now I feel bad that the thread had just become thread title discussion. But honestly, I didn't pick up on the French reference and I have a feeling the majority of us won't.

Good OT, otherwise.

Kokonoe

Banned
Can't say I'd be interested in this if it wasn't bundled with the premium, but least it seems better than Wii Sports I suppose. F Zero and Zelda minigames seem pretty neat.

It could have been sooo amazing game with the premise of Nintendo theme park, and yet, here we have a Nintendo franchises wiiplay.
Mingames can be good but the idea is unimaginative as the thread title.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So the official GAF thread is a french reference? Sorry OP that's quite shitty...

and on a side not why the hell is your avatar Alec Baldwin in soccer gear?? :)

Well you got the dorfdad seal of approval, you must be doing something right OP

Nice OP, and I enjoyed the playful title. OTs are getting too serious these days.

Not sure whether to sneak a peek at those videos for each event or go in semi-blackout. Not that there is any deep dark secret, but I don't want to dilute the charm that this title has the potential for.

So... you say you've already played Nintendo Land then?

"Minigames can be good, but the idea is unimaginative"

Maybe you didnt read that part.
A Nintendo theme park idea turned into a minigame collection? Im sorry but I think thats just really bland, it could have been so much more.

Im not talking about the quality of Nintendo Land against Wiiplay, im talking about having sadly the same premise, that is, a mini game collection that shows how the controller can be used. Just make the menu a theme park hub a giant strawberry cake that looks overcrowed and its the same thing, quality of minigames aside.

Medalion

Banned
"Minigames can be good, but the idea is unimaginative"

Maybe you didnt read that part.
A Nintendo theme park idea turned into a minigame collection? Im sorry but I think thats just really bland, it could have been so much more.

Im not talking about the quality of Nintendo Land against Wiiplay, im talking about having sadly the same premise, that is, a mini game collection that shows how the controller can be used. Just make the menu a theme park hub a giant strawberry cake that looks overcrowed and its the same thing, quality of minigames aside.
That's great... but you had over a year to make that kind of call, it's not like the concept has changed since its announcement.

Nugg

Loving the OT title, great job, great OT.

I'm still not sure about the game. I'm picking up a ZombiU pack, so I'm not sure if I'll get this one day one. Eagerly waiting on some impressions.

That's great... but you had over a year to make that kind of call, it's not like the concept has changed since its announcement.

Ive been saying this since the game was announced.
Cant I still be critical with the whole idea becuase this is the offcal thread?

Then let me add something else, the f-zero minigame sucks and the music for it is horrible, not even that could they get right, when it was so easy to make that minigame interesting.

Get off your high horse. It's a worldwide forum he can make any kind of reference he wants in the title.

If you don't like the title so much you should have made the thre...oh yeah. :)

Amir0x

Banned
Man between this and ZombiU, I'm seeing some serious b hurt over thread titles.

Think that's bad? We were close to hitting 20,000 posts on a PoliGAF topic so I made a new topic with a title I guess wasn't "approved" by some committee in the middle of the last topic (how could I know) and they spent all of like two pages, almost every post, complaining about the title, until one of the people made a new thread with an 'approved' title and main post complaining about the title basically

titles are serious business on neoGAF :p

Top Bottom