• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Resort

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ramenman said:
The way he hits the ball at 0:57 totally proves the superiority to Wii Tennis iirc.

Edit : can someone elaborate about the "fake drawback" in Archery ? Does that mean I can play archery without moving the nunchuk at all ? How does the game knows how far you draw ?

it doesn't know how far back you draw. The nunchuk has no way of communicating distance from the screen.

Its probably just for psychological reasons - you feel much more like you're holding a bow and arrow. I doubt it even bothers with the rotation of the nunchuk. In real archery you tend to hold the string in a fixed location and adjust the position of the front of the bow, so its all in the nunchuk.

RagnarokX

Regulus Tera said:
From here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va1HWS2d9-E&fmt=18

1zw0qau.jpg

Is that Hyrule Castle?
They get much closer to it in the E3 stage demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLIvydQj7gg
15h64g.jpg

Here's a map of Wuhu Island: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rztj/resort/index.html

The castle is on the lake at the base of the volcano.

Haunted

sprsk said:
Okay here are my serious impressions

1. Sword fighting is fucking awesome. If the next zelda doesn't have this implemented I'm going to be hell disappointed. "Kumite" is fucking the best mode in the game hands down.

2. Some of this stuff is too real. I suck at baskteball in real life, I suck in game. I suck at throwing frisbees, (I turned it on manual throwing) and I suck just as bad in real life. I also suck at ping pong, but thank god it isn't exactly 1:1 or I'd never return a serve.

3. Cycling is meh.

4. Wake boarding is fun, kind of a work out

5. Not a big fan of the waverace mode, it's okay but I'm not a fan of the genre

6. Didn't do canoeing, kinda wanna wait for more people.

7. Flying a plane is easy and pretty fun.

8. Frisbee - as I said before, I suck hard at it. But it's fun. And finally a full 18 holes of golf.

9. Golf/Bowling, didnt play either of these.

10. Archery - kinda bummed that the draw back isn't real, buuuuuuuuut it does feel really good and yeah, it's more difficult without having a crosshair. I think it would definitely be too easy with one.
2po9ssx.jpg

swerve

I quite like Wakeboarding for the score-attackness of it. Although it's pretty brutal losing your entire combo with one messed up landing.

I bought the JP game today.

I am playing it on a US Wii using the Gecko OS hack to get around the Region lock.

I found the arrow shooting game very disappointing. I think it really shows the weakness of this M+ design. It keeps losing calibration. Also both the jet ski and wake boarding mini games were disappointing.

I like ping pong and the sword games the best. I think those have a lot of promise at parties.

Some of the games like rowing and cycling are just too much damn physical exercise. It really takes the fun out of the game when you have to exert so much.

swerve

OH MAN THEY SCREWED UP!

I just got a message from Nintendo saying that, if I play a game from the SD card menu, then I'll be made to watch the 3 minute Motion Plus instructional movie again next time I start Wii Sports Resort.

Hopefully it'll teach them not to make such stupid, patronizing movies in future. I really hope it does. Stupid fucking idea and it's gone and screwed up their biggest launch of the year. Nice move.

They're releasing a system update but until then apparently we have to copy things back off the SD card menu to the Wii memory if we want to play them.

I'm sure it'll be fixed for the US version.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
swerve said:
OH MAN THEY SCREWED UP!

I just got a message from Nintendo saying that, if I play a game from the SD card menu, then I'll be made to watch the 3 minute Motion Plus instructional movie again next time I start Wii Sports Resort.

That's really, really, really fucking bad, and a glaring oversight in testing or an atrocious design move.

God I hope that gets patched somehow.

swerve said:
OH MAN THEY SCREWED UP!

Hopefully it'll teach them not to make such stupid, patronizing movies in future. I really hope it does. Stupid fucking idea and it's gone and screwed up their biggest launch of the year. Nice move.

They're releasing a system update but until then apparently we have to copy things back off the SD card menu to the Wii memory if we want to play them.

I'm sure it'll be fixed for the US version.

Wow, what a cock up! At least they can fix the problem via a system update.

Still its quite unlike Nintendo to make such a blunder.

swerve

But having to release a system update to stop us from having to watch a patronising video about how to connect a fricking plug into a socket... well, I hope this encourages them to think again about that whole decision.

It's not so uncommon though - their Smash Bros. launch was spoilt by them having a system update on the disk which made it look like the disk couldn't be read...

They have to stop the hand-holding thing. It's causing too much hassle and this latest example is ridiculous. It soured the first time I played it but I thought 'meh, it was just once'.

That's probably what Nintendo thought, too, and justified it in their heads. They'll feel less justified right about now.

However, Eurogamer can feel a bit better, because it looks like Nintendo don't test on home kits much either ;)

OK I've calmed down a bit now. And their apology on the mail is pretty damn polite Japanese... but how do they reach the people who don't receive messages from Nintendo? It might even mean another disk swap campaign or something at retailers.

Stink

probably leaves something in a temporary area that gets overwritten by sd card games being written to flash

schoolboy error

swerve

DavidDayton said:
Hmm.

I wonder why loading an SD channel game would cause this sort of problem...

A) They're storing a flag to say that you have watched the VERY IMPORTANT PLUG video in the reserved space for the SD card channel.

B) Something less ridiculous but still quite ridiculous because there's no logical explanation.

But let's not skirt around the real point - this would never have been an issue had this video been an OPTIONAL thing which you could choose to watch when you booted up the game. If that had been the case, then even with this bug there'd have been no problem and they wouldn't have needed another firmware update. Which in itself brings the potential of knock-on bugs...

This is Nintendo being taught a lesson for being so overbearing with their safety information.

EatChildren said:
God I hope that gets patched somehow.

Well, it won't be an issue for most people as I guess the second batch and all future builds won't have the same problem. Make the video optional and use the game's save data, and the problem goes away.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
swerve said:
A) They're storing a flag to say that you have watched the VERY IMPORTANT PLUG video in the reserved space for the SD card channel.

B) Something less ridiculous but still quite ridiculous because there's no logical explanation.

It seems very, very silly... I was assuming it would be part of the game save data...

Oh, wait. I think I know what's going on -- and it's incredibly silly.

My bet is that NCL was/is planning to make a "system wide" flag for the viewing of the WM+ video, and that all upcoming WM+ games would check to see if the video had been played. Storing it as a system flag would allow ANY game to check for the status and then skip the video after the initial viewing on the first WM+ game...

That's actually a halfway decent idea, all things considered, but it does appear they messed something up.

CaVaYeRo

RagnarokX said:
They get much closer to it in the E3 stage demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLIvydQj7gg
15h64g.jpg

Here's a map of Wuhu Island: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rztj/resort/index.html

The castle is on the lake at the base of the volcano.

13210.jpg

EDIT:

mrklaw said:
it doesn't know how far back you draw. The nunchuk has no way of communicating distance from the screen.

Its probably just for psychological reasons - you feel much more like you're holding a bow and arrow. I doubt it even bothers with the rotation of the nunchuk. In real archery you tend to hold the string in a fixed location and adjust the position of the front of the bow, so its all in the nunchuk.

I explained it some pages ago.

If you just press Z for some time, the crosshair nears slowly.

If you press Z + do the gesture, it's faster and you get a better feeling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4_Gu4oCzYk

1:22 = just Z

1:31 = Z + gesture

EDIT 2 for next comment: In real archery, you don't shoot stronger if you pull more distance. It's fixed.

mrklaw said:

So you've played the game, and in it you just press a button on the Nunchaku? That sucks, the Nunchaku should be easily able to detect a reverse motion, including the speed it is being moved at, and use that to figure out how far back you are pulling it.

dk_ said:
Hasn't Wii Music been awarded with the prestigious 'sprsk Seal of Approval'? :lol
Well, Wii Music *is* one of the best games on the Wii, for anyone who likes improvising music.

swerve

Dreamwriter said:
So you've played the game, and in it you just press a button on the Nunchaku? That sucks, the Nunchaku should be easily able to detect a reverse motion, including the speed it is being moved at, and use that to figure out how far back you are pulling it.

It just detects a small movement on the nunchuck when you hold the button. If you only press the button, you don't move into proper targeting mode until you've moved the nunchuck a bit. Or something like that.

Dreamwriter said:

It can detect directional movement, but it can't do what you envisage.

Re: The SD card thing

My guess is the teams that did the SD update and were making this video were different and didn't communicate, so there ended up being collision. One person testing one thing didn't know or didn't care to check if it clashed with another.

birdchili

for being a company that's trying so hard to be inclusive, nintendo fails pretty hard at usability sometimes. the patronizing attitude is ridiculous.

archery needs regular calibration? that doesn't bode well - this is like a 10 second event...

birdchili said:
for being a company that's trying so hard to be inclusive, nintendo fails pretty hard at usability sometimes. the patronizing attitude is ridiculous.

archery needs regular calibration? that doesn't bode well - this is like a 10 second event...

Pretty much every game that uses Motion+ needs regular calibration.

They make you clock an OK button or something to center it's bearings.

The longer the game is, the less and less calibrated it gets. The longer games like the sword fighting one where it is 1 vs 50 or something, it becomes really noticeable toward the end of the game that the tracking is starting go askew.

I'm afraid it's going to be impossible to make any "real" games like a Zelda or something that uses M+ as the main mechanic. It just can't stay calibrated long enough.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
PuppetMaster said:
I found the arrow shooting game very disappointing. I think it really shows the weakness of this M+ design. It keeps losing calibration. Also both the jet ski and wake boarding mini games were disappointing.
What do you mean by losing calibration? Are you sure your issues aren't related to a missing update which supposedly has a big effect on motion+ according to the retracted GST review.

plank

PuppetMaster said:
Pretty much every game that uses Motion+ needs regular calibration.

They make you clock an OK button or something to center it's bearings.

The longer the game is, the less and less calibrated it gets. The longer games like the sword fighting one where it is 1 vs 50 or something, it becomes really noticeable toward the end of the game that the tracking is starting go askew.

I'm afraid it's going to be impossible to make any "real" games like a Zelda or something that uses M+ as the main mechanic. It just can't stay calibrated long enough.

What was swerve talking about then?

OK, drift test:

In the screen where you look at your character on screen with the sword (after clearing a stage) I just spent two minutes with the remote behind my back, spinning it in a cone-shape, left-to-right, then all around my body (still spinning in a cone whilst rotating around me). I the remote upside down (buttons facing away from me) and continued twisting. I quickly thrust it from one side to the other, and it's still synched perfectly.

As expected, when tethered to a character in the game world (with relative movements rather than absolute position) this thing is going to be fine with no re-calibration.

swerve said:
So, the ingenious way that Sword Fighting works and achieves such accuracy is this:

-Rotation determines position (point the wii remote upwards, the sword is overhead, point towards you, the sword is behind you, point it left, the sword is to your left)
-Speed of motion determines power.

So without having to do any troublesome positional tracking at all (everything is achieved through rotation and acceleration) it achieves the exact same effect. Really clever stuff, so simple, and so effective. It's the template for any swordfighting game here on out.

Drift doesn't affect the rotation calculations, so it's able to keep track indefinitely in the sword game so long as it knows you started off pointing at the screen (which it does).

birdchili

archery needs relative position from where you started (for left/right aiming): you're always holding the remote straight up-and-down, but the system needs to know how far left/right you've moved. for swordfighting, it doesn't need to know this.

Model 500

dk_ said:
Hasn't Wii Music been awarded with the prestigious 'sprsk Seal of Approval'? :lol

I don't know what sp0rsks SoA means to you, but Wii Music should indeed be awarded by someone other than 1UP, CVG, MTV and the Gaffers in the official thread since so many people don't even know what that game is about and / or think that it's crap (pretty much because of the awful IGN review). FYI, it's currently my game of the generation along with SMG. Anyways, no reason to derail this, bring it over to the Wii Music thread if you're interested.

1-D_FTW

plank said:
What was swerve talking about then?

I was actually surprised to hear him say that too. IGN has talked in detail about how after a couple minutes of fighting, the calibration would drift significantly. It's IGN, but they do tend to be fairly decent with their impressions despite their reputation.

Ramenman

Blimblim said:
Here is DjMizuhara's gameplay video:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_8145_en.html

AWESOMESYDE.

I was getting tired of youtube's shit quality.

Wakeboarding, although simple, does seem to have that EXCITE feeling when you chain jumps and it get faster and faster and higher and higher.
It also pretty much nails the "oh crap" feeling of breaking your own combo with a shitty landing D:

Also :
2s0d75s.png

Lyude77

poppabk said:
What do you mean by losing calibration? Are you sure your issues aren't related to a missing update which supposedly has a big effect on motion+ according to the retracted GST review.
Could he get that update since he's using the Wii Homebrew thing? Has the latest update been cracked?

I hope it has something to do with that though, because that would be kinda bad otherwise.

ksamedi

Model 500 said:
I don't know what sp0rsks SoA means to you, but Wii Music should indeed be awarded by someone other than 1UP, CVG, MTV and the Gaffers in the official thread since so many people don't even know what that game is about and / or think that it's crap (pretty much because of the awful IGN review). FYI, it's currently my game of the generation along with SMG. Anyways, no reason to derail this, bring it over to the Wii Music thread if you're interested.
I understand your struggle. I really can't stand it when people call Wii music crap without understanding the game.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
poppabk said:

Unless system updates now come with magical powers, there is no way a system update could change the way motion+ works in the game.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
DavidDayton said:
Unless system updates now come with magical powers, there is no way a system update could change the way motion+ works in the game.
Someone better tell Eurogamer
For the record, the mistake - 'catastrophe' is probably a good word, actually - was down to out-of-date firmware on our Wii debug machine, which neither our EA contacts or us apparently knew anything about.
It could potentially be a change to the bluetooth stack and how it interprets incoming data from the wiimote but honestly I know nothing about the intricacies of the firmware.

zigg

DavidDayton said:

Er, don't system updates come with IOS, which contains hardware drivers?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
dannie said:
best video show off WSR~
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm7441863

Although it nico video,you need nico a/c to see it

The chanbara part :O. The enemies don't attack much, but that's to be expected if you want to survive more than 10 seconds with 3 hearts. I suppose it gets harder in the latter stages. I like the sound cues when you hit someone. I also like how the guy got into it at the end of that segment one-handed :D.

The frisbee game looks satisfying.

Overall, I like the polish in the game. Whether it is the subtle visual effects, like the blue trail behind the frisbee, or the sound cues, the game just feels right and refreshing... Well, from the videos at least.

One month :(.

Ramenman said:
I like this one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bLsq...eature=channel

Especially because he keeps slashing like a madman once he has won :lol

:lol

Kendô already looked fun as it was shown in most videos, but that video is a must see if you're not feeling it. Hilarious. I was genuinely laughing watching this :D.

Ramenman

Kilrogg said:
:lol

Kendô already looked fun as it was shown in most videos, but that video is a must see if you're not feeling it. Hilarious. I was genuinely laughing watching this :D.

Just seing how accurate the destruction of those random objects is makes me want a "free mode" where I can freely slice shit that doesn't disappear right away.

poppabk said:
Someone better tell Eurogamer

No, the problem was with the firmware of Eurogamer's debug Wii. I'm guessing Debug Wiis have particular firmwares.

For the record, Eurogamer didn't solve the problem by updating their debug system, but by playing it on a retail Wii.

Top Bottom