• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Resort

Lyude77

Black-Wind said:
But what about Golf?

I agree with the Mario Tennis idea or atleast I hope it's what they are doing. Im sure Nintendo wants to strike another MK (and future NSMB2 ) sells wise game.
Well...I guess Table Tennis is close enough to real Tennis for them. Plus, Tiger Woods is likely going to sell more than the other two tennis games regardless (there's a small chance that Virtua Tennis could beat it if it was really good, but I think TW is a somewhat big sports franchise).

Vinnk

Lyude77 said:
Well...I guess Table Tennis is close enough to real Tennis for them. Plus, Tiger Woods is likely going to sell more than the other two tennis games regardless (there's a small chance that Virtua Tennis could beat it if it was really good, but I think TW is a somewhat big sports franchise).

My guess is that Japan has a lot to do with them not including Tennis (and perhaps baseball). Tennis is the Wii Sports game that my friends play the most (I personally like bowling) but not having an updated version in WSR, Japanese consumers have a reason to keep buying the original Wii Sports (which still charts in the top 30 sales charts in Japan almost every week).

If WSR included all of the original games, it would cut the legs right out from under this title.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I still want them to make a Wii Winter Sports edition... heavily relaying on the balance-board, of course. I think multiplayer curling and broomball could be some killer fun modes.

Davey Cakes

Gahiggidy said:
I still want them to make a Wii Winter Sports edition... heavily relaying on the balance-board, of course. I think multiplayer curling and broomball could be some killer fun modes.
It'll probably happen.

laserbeam

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:
God damn I want a full blown sword fighting game for Wii. Seriously Square-Enix give me Bushido Blade Wii!

Square-Enix is too busy complaining a 15 year old SNES port selling for 40 dollars is not selling millions of units on the DS to care

NewLib

Banned
Vinnk said:
My guess is that Japan has a lot to do with them not including Tennis (and perhaps baseball). Tennis is the Wii Sports game that my friends play the most (I personally like bowling) but not having an updated version in WSR, Japanese consumers have a reason to keep buying the original Wii Sports (which still charts in the top 30 sales charts in Japan almost every week).

If WSR included all of the original games, it would cut the legs right out from under this title.

Why would Japan have a lot to do with them not including Baseball? It was my understand that Baseball was one of the most popular sports in Japan.

Brashnir

NewLib said:
Why would Japan have a lot to do with them not including Baseball? It was my understand that Baseball was one of the most popular sports in Japan.

His point is that Wii Sports is a retail product and not a pack-in in Japan. If they included all the original Wii Sports games in WSR, then sales of the original would dry up completely. They still want the original game to be a viable product in Japan.

Gahiggidy said:
How on earth will they improve the bowling game?

Kinda odd they brought that one back but left out tennis.

For any actual bowlers, the bowling game is *very* inaccurate. The ball *always* curves towards the center, unless you give it a spin away. And you had to use the d-pad to aim your shot. I'd bet this version they get rid of that - they may still have you use the d-pad to move your character left and right, but that's it.

Captain N

I hope they make a few improvements with Bowling. I love the game and with Motion+ you will probably see me playing that a lot more now.

NewLib

Banned
Brashnir said:
His point is that Wii Sports is a retail product and not a pack-in in Japan. If they included all the original Wii Sports games in WSR, then sales of the original would dry up completely. They still want the original game to be a viable product in Japan.

Oh gotcha.

Gahiggidy said:
How on earth will they improve the bowling game?

Kinda odd they brought that one back but left out tennis.

Maybe they'll make it so that you have to actually move yourself into position, rather than having you use the D-pad!

KevinCow

Banned
Do we know if they'll have new courses in golf? My dad would be pretty interested in this if they did. He liked the Wii Sports Golf despite its issues, so he'd probably love this one, especially if it has new courses.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how does the archery work? The nunchuk can't sense distance from the TV, so I'm assuming the c button does the 'pull back' mechanic, and you just pull the nunchuk back for effect?

Also, it seems to use the wiimote only for aiming - I suppose it again assumes your release hand is at a fixed level and is the pivot point?

Looks great anyway - love a good archery game.

Are the secondary options (eg frisbee golf, that dynasty warriors fencing bit etc) available from the start, or do you unlock them?

When is this out in Europe?

edit - 24th July! Might import the Japanese version (it'll run on a modded wii right?)

edit 2: motion plus is out this Friday. Is it worth picking it up with a grand slam tennis? I'd rather play virtua tennis, and rather play that on my PS3. Or just pick up a spare, and then import WSR from Japan (assuming the accessory will work no problem on a UK machine)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
HAL_Laboratory said:
Highest-selling game ever confirmed.

God, I hope so. The more people with M+ the better.

Holy shit, did anybody else know that frisbee golf is in here too, and not just the dog fetching?

visible here at 1:13

Edit: guess it was already known. First I've heard of it. Sweet!

plank

mrklaw said:
how does the archery work? The nunchuk can't sense distance from the TV, so I'm assuming the c button does the 'pull back' mechanic, and you just pull the nunchuk back for effect?

Also, it seems to use the wiimote only for aiming - I suppose it again assumes your release hand is at a fixed level and is the pivot point?

Looks great anyway - love a good archery game.

Are the secondary options (eg frisbee golf, that dynasty warriors fencing bit etc) available from the start, or do you unlock them?

When is this out in Europe?

edit - 24th July! Might import the Japanese version (it'll run on a modded wii right?)

edit 2: motion plus is out this Friday. Is it worth picking it up with a grand slam tennis? I'd rather play virtua tennis, and rather play that on my PS3. Or just pick up a spare, and then import WSR from Japan (assuming the accessory will work no problem on a UK machine)

Probably measures distance of M+ against nunchuck.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I was going to dismiss this game but 20 seconds of the trailer did it... I remembered why I had so much fun with Wii Sports.

Guys one important question: is the condom glued to the Wii Motion+? That would be a show stopper. I like to go in raw.

Chittagong said:
I was going to dismiss this game but 20 seconds of the trailer did it... I remembered why I had so much fun with Wii Sports.

Guys one important question: is the condom glued to the Wii Motion+? That would be a show stopper. I like to go in raw.
Nope. You can bang it out raw with no worries. I love it raw as well :^)

vanty

KevinCow said:
Do we know if they'll have new courses in golf? My dad would be pretty interested in this if they did. He liked the Wii Sports Golf despite its issues, so he'd probably love this one, especially if it has new courses.
It's a new course, but seems to be only 9 holes again not 18. Not sure if the disc golf uses the same thing.

Antagon

vanty. said:
It's a new course, but seems to be only 9 holes again not 18. Not sure if the disc golf uses the same thing.

I actually remember reading somewhere that its 18 holes this time. Don't know where though.

Taurus

vanty. said:
9 holes only?

2a6jzh0.jpg

Antagon said:
I actually remember reading somewhere that its 18 holes this time. Don't know where though.
Please be true...

KevinCow

Banned
Well that's lame. Regardless of whether it's 9 or 18 holes, the fact that it's only one course is kinda shit. It can't be that hard to slap together some fairways, bunkers, and water hazards to give you a few courses to select from, can it?

I assume it just measures the pulling back motion of the nunchuk through the nunchuk's accelerometer. It tells you to start with the nunchuk next to the Wiimote, so it knows its starting point and just figures out how far away from that it's moved.

As for the other part, I suppose it assumes that you're pivoting around your waist. That's how professional archers do it, right? It lets you keep your arms and eyes all in the same position relative to each other.

Ydahs

Antagon said:
IGN maybe?

IGN said:
Then we jumped into Frisbee mode. We skipped the dog catch mode in favor of the full Frisbee Golf option. We love the Disc Mode in the upcoming Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2010, but it's clear that the version in Wii Sports Resort is much tighter with better disk handling and more attention paid to the physics of the throw. You can play a short three hole game or take part in a whole 18 hole course, with multiple courses available to take part in.
IGN said:
Golf is beefier with more holes to play and a tighter way to swing your club for accurate drives and putts.
http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/990/990213p1.html

vanty

Well I'm just basing it off this image, which only seems to have 9 holes. This is a separate island to the main island, which doesn't really show any visible golf courses. Maybe there are 18 holes and the other 9 are simply mirrored versions or something, or there is yet another large golf island that can't be seen on that map since the island we know about is only just visible in the bottom-left corner.

I got an email notice Saturday from Gamestop telling me my Motion Plus was delayed from Shipping today to the 12th. Payed the Gamestop rape fee because I had some credit and now they delay my shipment. Nice.

Nintendo went out and got pro sports impressions.
Darius Knight, Table Tennis Professional: "I loved the control of the Wii MotionPlus in Wii Sports Resort - it meant I could map my movements precisely on screen. Every flick of my wrist was faithfully mirrored and I found myself having to hold the controller exactly as I would my racket to get the effect I wanted. It even reproduced a backhand with spin! I loved the challenge it presented and couldn't put it down until I'd mastered my sport in the virtual world!"

Wesley Haeke, Kendo Champion: "When I played swordplay in Wii Sports Resort, I was surprised how realistic the Wii Motion Plus sensor made the game. I had to hold the controller exactly as I would a Shinai to get the precision I wanted, as well as holding stances such as jodan no kamae exactly as I would in a tournament to beat my opponent. Winning the game requires concentration, patience and precision, just as in real life."

Melissa Reid, Professional Golfer: "I expected precision from the Wii MotionPlus, but I didn't expect this! Every rotation through the body and the way I held the Wii controller was reflected in Wii Sports Resort. The option of three, nine or 18 holes was great as it meant I could do a quick-fire round or take my time; the graphics are really impressive too. Believe me - it wasn't easy hitting birdie and I certainly spent my fair share of time in the rough!"

Danilo Gallinari, Pro Basketball Player: "The three-point basketball challenge in Wii Sports Resort was fantastic. The precision of the Wii MotionPlus meant I really had to focus to accurately shoot the hoops and with the clock ticking I definitely started to feel the pressure. The Wii MotionPlus demands precision and won't let you off with a limp-wristed slam dunk; you really need to give it your all!"

Gema Buitron, Archery Champion: "Seeing my sport reflected exactly on screen was amazing! I loved that the levels got progressively harder and that I needed to factor distance and wind speed into my shot. The precision was remarkable and I found I really had to concentrate to ensure I was scoring highly. I was particularly impressed with how the controller emulated an archery bow, with the Wii Remote acting as the bow and pulling the Nunchuck back like the string, to determine the strength of the shot."
http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=217936

Zzoram

Gino said:
Go buy Tiger woods 10. It's awesome and it comes with motion plus.

Wii Sports Resort having a good golf mode kinda takes some of the steam out of Tiger Woods. I bought it though, for the 2nd Wii Motion+.

Gema Buitron, Archery Champion: "Seeing my sport reflected exactly on screen was amazing! I loved that the levels got progressively harder and that I needed to factor distance and wind speed into my shot. The precision was remarkable and I found I really had to concentrate to ensure I was scoring highly. I was particularly impressed with how the controller emulated an archery bow, with the Wii Remote acting as the bow and pulling the Nunchuck back like the string, to determine the strength of the shot."

Can all the Sony numbnuts now stop acting like the Archery demo Sony showed was in anyway different than the one Nintendo showed.

Meesh

Eteric Rice said:
Maybe I should grow my neckbeard out to scare them away
*bleeech* Sounds like you'll be scaring the guys away too :D
I'm hype for wake boarding, fencing...actually everything, fuck I just wannit!!!
pakkit said:
I think you meant "But is it TRUE 1:1?"
Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!

Shin Johnpv said:
Can all the Sony numbnuts now stop acting like the Archery demo Sony showed was in anyway different than the one Nintendo showed.

Well, there is a little difference. One will spend the next year or so near the top of the charts.

Top Bottom