• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rösti;39865045 said:
I don't get what that dirt filter is. Is the player character wearing glasses or some kind of visor?

It's a dumb modern trend of smearing shit across the screen to give it a visceral, cinematic and immersive look. Kind of like blurring the living fuck out of everything to hide graphical blemishes.

Meelow

Banned
I hope Sonic Adventure 2 comes to Nintendo Network/eShop on the Wii U.

(Yes this is completely different from what you where talking about lol).

This might be a dumb question or answered before, but with the WiiU supporting hdmi would it improve wii games audio /visuals at all versus the av cables the wil uses? I know the WiiU won't upscale wii games to 720 or 1080p but would it offer any slight improvements whatsoever?

MDX

Just to show off the excellent lighting found in ZombiU

zombiunurserytrailer0b7zz8.gif

*note I am not the creator of this gif

Just noticed the little moths(?) flying around the light and
the flame from the gas stove is burning. I cant tell if the flame is flickering though
and giving off its own light.

MDX

This might be a dumb question or answered before, but with the WiiU supporting hdmi would it improve wii games audio /visuals at all versus the av cables the wil uses? I know the WiiU won't upscale wii games to 720 or 1080p but would it offer any slight improvements whatsoever?

Good question.

alfolla

Neo Member
I think Zombi U is pretty amazing.
Lighting in some shots makes things around the area look "real" (like that ambulance on the top left).

zombiufulmine.png

nordique

wii u gpu :I think we need more detail before we can determine that.

wii u ram= 1.5-2.0GB

ps3 = 256MB ; x3 =768MB

Your multiplier is off.

and your ps3 and xbox 360 specs are off lol

unless you mean something else that I am not understanding

edit: I see as per Donnie that I am not understanding something

and your ps3 and xbox 360 specs are off lol

unless you mean something else that I am not understanding

edit: I see as per Donnie that I am not understanding something

ha..what I meant was the USC-fan's 2-3x ps3 ram =wii u total ram was incorrect since it will have 1.5-2.0GB.

Roo

I'm glad that most of the ZombiU feedback here and everywhere else is rather positive than negative.
I'm sure the games will sell really well.

Good question.

Hmm... it is indeed
we know for sure the console itself won't do any graphical upgrade for Wii games
but I think we never questioned about what HDMI cables can do for them.

I think the change (if there's any) will be minimal if you already use component cables.
I really don't know how media output works tbh so if any tech guy can help on this would be awesome ;D

AzaK

Yeah. Wii U should be fine for what Nintendo is going for.
All Nintendo consoles Re fine for what Nintendo go for - it's fine for us I'm concerned about :) But I think it will be.

It very well might. Wii supported Dolby pro logic II which is essentially surround encoded into a stereo signal. Therefore the games may very well output surround and the encoder encodes that into Pro Logic. The Wii U could just pass through surround. I'm guessing this though as I don't know exactly how Wii does it.

Has it been confirmed whether you can play Wii games on the gamepad. It would be great playing games that support the CC on Wii on the screen more fitting to the resolution they are at. It would also be nice if you could play games like Donkey Kong and NSMB because the Gamepad has all the features of a Wiimote.

ugoo18

I'm glad that most of the ZombiU feedback here and everywhere else is rather positive than negative.
I'm sure the games will sell really well.

Hmm... it is indeed
we know for sure the console itself won't do any graphical upgrade for Wii games
but I think we never questioned about what HDMI cables can do for them.

I think the change (if there's any) will be minimal if you already use component cables.
I really don't know how media output works tbh so if any tech guy can help on this would be awesome ;D

Wouldn't it be like those Wii HD cables that some companies released last year if i remember correctly?

ha..what I meant was the USC-fan's 2-3x ps3 ram =wii u total ram was incorrect since it will have 1.5-2.0GB.

Maybe be more specific about usable ram not reserved for OS and apps. I think the PS 3 has has 256MB of usable for GPU and 206MB for CPU as the OS takes up 50MB so 462MB usable for games.

Wii U has 512MB reserved for OS for some reason and 1536MB for games. so it is around 3 1/3 times more usable ram for games vs xbox PS3. Might be more depending on that OS footprint reserve.

Roo

Has it been confirmed whether you can play Wii games on the gamepad. It would be great playing games that support the CC on Wii on the screen more fitting to the resolution they are at. It would also be nice if you could play games like Donkey Kong and NSMB because the Gamepad has all the features of a Wiimote.

I think I read somewhere you can play Wii games on the gamepad but not the way you want to.
I mean, since the gamepad has sensor bars, it can display Wii games, but you still need the original controllers for that game (in this case: DKCR Wiimote or wiimote and nunckuk combo) it's like playing with a tiny TV, something more personal but you can't play them on the gamepad alone since the games weren't designed with this controller in mind

Wouldn't it be like those Wii HD cables that some companies released last year if i remember correctly?

yeah, maybe you're right.
I'm not expecting something big tho.
The games can look more colorful, bright and sharp with surround sound but technically no significant improvement overall

When my daughter was little she had a toy that sounded just like that. It was a Little People Ferris Wheel. Seriously, it was the exact same laugh.

Same in the intro to Diddy Kong Racing. That's where I first heard it. :)

Yeah, I'm surprised how little, or at least unimpressive the improvements are for the UE4 so far.

All Nintendo consoles Re fine for what Nintendo go for - it's fine for us I'm concerned about :) But I think it will be.

Hey you changed the context of my post. :(

I said it was fine for me.

Wii U has 512MB reserved for OS for some reason and 1536MB for games. so it is around 3 1/3 times more usable ram for games vs xbox PS3. Might be more depending on that OS footprint reserve.

We don't know that for sure yet.

japtor

It can only understand/everything is written in Java
It's been a while since we've heard/made up a crazy Android rumor.
It'd probably be like VGA vs DVI, probably not a huge noticeable difference but potentially a bit cleaner. I guess the same could be said for audio, I wouldn't expect surround conversion or anything, but the signal might be cleaner as a result of being passed through digitally.

It very well might. Wii supported Dolby pro logic II which is essentially surround encoded into a stereo signal. Therefore the games may very well output surround and the encoder encodes that into Pro Logic. The Wii U could just pass through surround. I'm guessing this though as I don't know exactly how Wii does it.

They would be awesome if it could do that. Surround would be a definite upgrade. I don't know if could do this either but I would certainly welcome it.

yeah, maybe you're right.
I'm not expecting something big tho.
The games can look more colorful, bright and sharp with surround sound but technically no significant improvement overall

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Even if it can make it little more crisp that would be a big plus in my book.

It'd probably be like VGA vs DVI, probably not a huge noticeable difference but potentially a bit cleaner. I guess the same could be said for audio, I wouldn't expect surround conversion or anything, but the signal might be cleaner as a result of being passed through digitally.

Just curious would surround conversion require something extra in the WiiU hardware at all?

ASIS

So guys, after closer inspection of (some of) the Wii U games. Which ones are you getting?

For me its:

Will be buying:

Pikmin 3
Project P-100

Probably buying:

New Super Mario Brothers U
Nintendo Land
Rayman Legends

On the radar but not yet sold:

ZombiU
Lego City: Undercover

What about you guys?

Banned
Hey you changed the context of my post. :(

I said it was fine for me.

We don't know that for sure yet.
512 mb for an OS is INSANE. Nintendo will optimize it. No way I see the OS using more than 256mb of RAM and even that is too much. 128mb would be more like it. Wii U should have around 1.8GB of RAM available for games.

ASIS

Probably:

Rayman Legends
AC 3

Maybe:
Zombi U
Project P-100
Pikmin 3

Haven't really made up my mind about the rest. It might also depend on how much money I'm able/willing to spend once Wii U releases and what else will be released. I'm a bit more interested in some of the digital releases though.

0_0 Haven't seen any of that yet. What titles have been announced for the Wii U eshop?

Ryoku

512 mb for an OS is INSANE. Nintendo will optimize it. No way I see the OS using more than 256mb of RAM and even that is too much. 128mb would be more like it. Wii U should have around 1.8GB of RAM available for games.
1.7-1.8 GB is what I'm expecting once optimizations and whatnot are in place. Of course, this doesn't mean that it'll be as such at launch, but over time. Just as PS3's OS was shrunk and optimized over time, and not fully optimized at launch.

JordanN

Banned
So guys, after closer inspection of (some of) the Wii U games. Which ones are you getting?
Buying:
-P-100
-Trine 2:DC
-Mighty Switch Force HD
-Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
-Pikmin 3
-Rayman Legends
-Aliens: Colonial Marines
-ZombiU
-Shin'en's upcoming game.
-Upcoming Zelda
-Upcoming Smash Bros.

Undecided:
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Lego City Undercover
Nintendoland
Darksiders 2

jacksrb

Probably Launch:
NintendoLand
AC3 or Batman Arkham City: AA

Probably Christmas:
BLOPS2
Project P-100 (if out by then)

Maybe:
Zombi U
Pikmin 3
007 Legends (if comes to Wii U)

Roo

Will be buying:
SiNG!
Rayman Legends
New Super Mario Bros. U
ZombiU
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Assassin's Creed III
Darksiders II

Probably buying:
Pikmin 3
Batman: Arkham City
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Tank! Tank! Tank!

On the radar but not yet sold:
Project CARS
Trine 2
NintendoLand

And that's pretty much it.
I would say Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart Wii U as most buy since they're both already in development
but I'm sure we won't know/see something about them till 2014 at earliest so they're out for now :D

I was joking about SiNG :p

Meelow

Banned
Wants
New Super Mario Bros U
Pikmin 3
Zombi U
Aliens Colonial Marines
Assassin's Creed III
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Dragon Quest X

Downloadable wants
Cloudberry Kingdom
Little Inferno
Trine 2

Thinking of buying but not 100% sold

Mass Effect 3
Darksiders 2
Nintendo Land
Lego City Undercover
Ninja Gaiden 3
Batman: Arkham City

It's so nice that the Wii U is getting a head start in the 2D platforming madness, with NSMBU and Rayman Legends. Edit: Scribblenauts Unlimited as well.

Trine 2 I guess counts, just not for the same demographic. :p

Can't believe the amount we got on Wii from the top of my head:

NSMBW
DKCR
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Kirby's RtD
Wario Land Shake It
Klonoa
Muramasa
Jungle Beat (kinda counts, just not an original game)
Rayman Origins

Any others?

And I know I didn't even include digital games! For Wii U we have Mighty Switch Force HD, what are others? Aside from Trine 2 which is one as well.

ugoo18

For me

Buying

ZombiU
Pikmin 3
Alien Colonial Marines
007 Legends (If a WiiU version is announced)

Possibly Buying

Assassins Creed 3 (Leaning towards buying it since the PC version will be a month late)
Injustice Gods Among Us
FIFA 13 (Probably won't buy it, usually go with the PC version because of all the mods)

Would like to get as a gift :p

NSMBU (Really can't see myself buying this even though i enjoyed NSMBWii, i just can't justify the purchase)

The_Lump

Banned
P-100
ZombiU
Pikmin 3
Rayman Legends
Trine 2 (because I've been holding off)

If NintendoLand isn't a pack-in, then I'm stealing it on the way out of the store.

That's launch, but will be getting Madden/Fifa and Alien Colonial Marines at some point...

Incidentally, when is the EA press thing?

Roo

P-100
ZombiU
Pikmin 3
Rayman Legends
Trine 2 (because I've been holding off)

If NintendoLand isn't a pack-in, then I'm stealing it on the way out of the store.

That's launch, but will be getting Madden/Fifa and Alien Colonial Marines at some point...

Tomorrow iirc

japtor

Just curious would surround conversion require something extra in the WiiU hardware at all?
I guess it'd require extra sound processing of some sort, which could potentially be done in hardware or just in software.

(I'm thinking of different surround encoding entirely, like PLII to some digital or discrete multichannel format though)
I vaguely remember seeing the 18th mentioned, so this Wednesday if that's right.

Roo

I believe it is the 18th and 19th, if you are talking about the EA Sports event.

Oh yeah
sorry, I fucked up the dates

IGN said:
The EA Sports Open House will include FIFA 13, Madden NFL 13, NHL 13 and NBA Live 13, though whether or not these will be the games announced for Wii U is anyone’s guess. The event will take place on Wednesday, July 18th and Thursday, July 19th so check back to IGN for any announcements as they happen.

P-100.
Maybe: Mario U, depending on if you can turn off all the Miiverse trash for good.
Pikmin 3, Miyamoto forcing a direction in the vein of P1 instead of P2 onto this has lowered my expectations.
Rayman Legends, if the singleplayer is worthwhile and not as useless as it looks right now without having someone doing nonsensical tasks on the tablet.

Nothing too exciting yet.

The_Lump

Banned
I believe it is the 18th and 19th, if you are talking about the EA Sports event.

Thanks. I've no idea if its the EA Sports thing, just remember hearing they would reveal some games in July. What can we expect to see?

Edit: Ah I see, sports stuff it is. Cool. Lets hope for Wii U stuffs!

Calling Miiverse "trash" without even trying it is pretty funny to me.

Miis are an absolute abomination. Having screens filled with these turpitudes in my Super Mario alongside online clues that I do not want is simply trashy to me and would lower my enjoyment with the game.
As if the whole presentation of the NSMB series wasn't a disgrace without that already...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom