• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pittree

This is NeoGAF (and the Internet). We'll be inundated with people nitpicking all the differences between the PS4/Xbox 3 version of a game vs the Wii U version while still not seeing any between Wii U and PS360.

You can bet we will. Some claims not only from followers but from developers are mind numbing, I guess they are no different than "we" the crowd at Gaf. But discussing and reading you guys leave me no doubt that Nintendo has made the right choice in balance between power, innovation and likely cost. As for Microsoft and Sony I think they are choosing the path they have to and will do well too. As matter of fact the only thing that worries me about them is price...especially yours Sony. (doesn't matter if is too low and you take a huge loss or too high and becomes very expensive)

japtor

I disagree.

An often underlooked part about Samaritan was the fact there were individual hairs being rendered in real time.

Most games today don't come anywhere near that. Instead, we see stuff that's either "ribbon" like (ex: think Dead or Alive or Star Ocean 4), chunks of polygons textured over (ex: Uncharted), or just plain fake (bald character or a simple texture).

Edit: There's also shaders although the results aren't as good as the real thing.
From a technical standpoint I'd agree, while from a visual standpoint I agree with Margalis. Like it might be done in a completely fancy new way, but the visually the result from your example is...higher quality hair.

Also I couldn't tell whether your hair was a joke about rendering ass hairs or whatever.

Pineconn

I'd venture to say Super Mario Sunshine had great water for the time. Not sure if any first party titles have tried to improve it, though.

Pittree

I disagree.

An often underlooked part about Samaritan was the fact there were individual hairs being rendered in real time.

Most games today don't come anywhere near that. Instead, we see stuff that's either "ribbon" like (ex: think Dead or Alive or Star Ocean 4), chunks of polygons textured over (ex: Uncharted), or just plain fake (bald character or a simple texture).

Edit: There's also shaders although the results aren't as good as the real thing.

That looks pretty nice to be honest, I guess that is the type of changes (we) "some" will se Next Gen. I remember when me and my friends where mind blowed at seeing separate fingers and blinking "reallistic" eyes. Maybe those things spoiled some as to what to expect in changes between generations.

Shabutaro

Water and lighting effects aren't exactly exclusive to Nintendo so I'm going to have to say no.

Especially not this gen when the Wii was based around a 1999 graphic's set and before that, the Xbox and PC were ahead of GCN technically.

Well i know they're not exclusive effects, but i feel as if word on the street is that Nintendo is really good at these kind of effects. But I guess I was mistaken

Margalis

Banned
Better hair is cool but that's not some sort of huge leap when compared to stuff like switching from triangle sorting to a z-buffer.

I know this is kind of out of the blue but i've been checking on facebook and i found some interesting stuff. Alot of the nintendo related like-pages are most popular in alot of latin american countries like mexico and chile. I know reggie has said before that latin america is an untapped gold mine for the video game industry but i did not know that they were already so popular there. Does anyone in latin-america gaf know how nintendo makes their products so appealing down there and does anybody think it can lead to some games catered specifically for them? i personally would LOVE a nintendo made samba de amigo

Technically, the Wii U can cheat next gen. Developers could just make games for the controller. Fewer resources are consumed. Boom.

I can see this being popular with the Jap devs as a way of getting the handheld audience (biggest market there) to move over.
?

Handhelds are popular in Japan because they're portable and can be used during commuting...

Ergo, that wouldn't work at all...

JordanN

Banned
?

Handhelds are popular in Japan because they're portable and can be used during commuting...

Ergo, that wouldn't work at all...
I had something else in mind. That is, Japanese homes are small and families share a TV. So I imagine handhelds were popular because you don't have to share the TV at home (in addition to being used in commuting).

I should of put a disclaimer that it's highly theoretical so don't take it serious.

The lighting is definitely nice but I don't consider ZombiU a next-gen game in the graphical sense. Crysis 2 on consoles is comparable, as well as the Sony exclusives. Halo 4 as well. And none of them are next-gen games, they're all on current gen consoles. Watch_Dogs, Star Wars 1313, those have next-gen visuals. ZombiU looks great for a Wii U launch game but let's not get carried away. I mean I've only seen like 3 or 4 characters on screen at once.

Nah. There's a very dated last gen look to these games compared toZU. ZU looks a lot more robust, natural and realistic. For the number of zombies on screen, not in the good vids, but on the new IGN off-screen vid (and e3 build vids) there's an outside bit in front of the Palace where there's a pack of at least 10 zombies. Who's to say we won't see more on screen at this time - you see quite a few on the e3 builds we seen of capture the flag too.

Metro Last Light will also easily outclass Zombi.

So it can easily be done on current gen, on a game we ain't even got ps360 footage for? Right then, I guess that sorts that one out !?!?!? wtf!!!

JordanN

Banned
So... the Wii U's Battlefield EA announced last year, you guys think it's going to be Battlefield 4?

Only saying that because the untitled Ass Creed became AC3 and Tekken was Tekken tag tournament 2. Also, this is assuming it's coming to consoles and not a PC exclusive.

MDX

I had something else in mind. That is, Japanese homes are small and families share a TV. So I imagine handhelds were popular because you don't have to share the TV at home (in addition to being used in commuting).

I should of put a disclaimer that it's highly theoretical so don't take it serious.

I do think we here in the west tend to underestimate the influence Japanese culture has on how Nintendo designs products. Obviously they will try to cater to western needs as much as they understand western needs, but are not Microsoft.

Wii wasnt online because Japan wasnt online.
Wii wasnt HD because the majority of Japan wasnt HD.
Wii was small, because Japanese households are small.
Wii caters to local multiplayer, because the Japanese families sit together in the same room.

etc.

Luigiv

Ubi should do something about the floating arm 30 seconds into the video. yikes.
Pretty sure there is a an olive colored shirt sleeve on the arm. It just kinda blends into the background.

Yep you are correct.

9zTxl.jpg

if you look at the image full sized you can see the sleeve. the FLV compression didn't help.

Nintendo is really really good at water effects.

Hey i found an interesting tidbit. Apparently the gamecube was called project dolphin because of the gpu's ability to do water affects so well. I'm guessing the n64 was called project reality because of it's gpu being made by silicon graphics, who were respected for producing amazingly realistic (for its time) cgi in movies like Terminator, jurassic park, and batman forever. What does this say about the wii u's codename "project cafe"?
Come on guys! lets turn this back into a speculation thread!

Ryoku

Hey i found an interesting tidbit. Apparently the gamecube was called project dolphin because of the gpu's ability to do water affects so well. I'm guessing the n64 was called project reality because of it's gpu being made by silicon graphics, who were respected for producing amazingly realistic (for its time) cgi in movies like Terminator, jurassic park, and batman forever. What does this say about the wii u's codename "project cafe"?
Come on guys! lets turn this back into a speculation thread!

It makes coffee.
Lol. I actually think it's due to the social nature of the console. Cafes are social places, and Nintendo is marketing the Wii U has a console where people can gather together (both hardcore and casuals). Asymmetrical gameplay points to the whole cafe thing.

The_Lump

Banned
It makes coffee.
Lol. I actually think it's due to the social nature of the console. Cafes are social places, and Nintendo is marketing the Wii U has a console where people can gather together (both hardcore and casuals). Asymmetrical gameplay points to the whole cafe thing.

My thoughts exactly. Right before the reveal last year, after we'd heard the name cafe/stream and found out about the 2nd screen, I was imagining all these incredible social aspects they could use. I actually had a dream almost exactly like the reveal trailer, except instead of pausing and just playing on the 2nd screen, he paused it and took the controller down to the cafe to continue playing, meeting with his friends who also brought their upads to play together. Then (bear with me, this gets little far fetched) someone at home turns over to the console, picks up another controller and joins in with the guys at the cafe from the comfort of the sofa. Video chats and social-network nirvana ensue and the crowd goes nuts.

99% of the above turned out to be impossible, however. But Nintendo managed to come up with something 100% cooler than my idea anyway.

So....yeah. The Cafe codename is definitely to do with the social aspect of the console: bringing living rooms together.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't seen this posted before, but it's from four days ago. It's a document of proposed game ideas to Canada Media Fund, and thus nothing concrete. However, it's a game idea that could come to frution. From Frima Studio, a title called Chariot:

Chariot Frima Studio Inc. Game Downloadable Bilingual QC 624,163
In a steam punk inspired medieval industrial society, Charioteers must explore dangerous trap filled caverns and return with as
much bounty as possible to rebuild the kingdom one treasure at a time. Cast in the role of charioteers Sven and Malick, the
players must coordinate their efforts in order to navigate the chariot through hazard filled cavernous mazes. When they get too
greedy the chariot becomes heavier, harder to steer and too much riches attract bandits and unscrupulous rivals...
Nonetheless, our heroes must find their way back with the hard earned treasures while defending their precious cargo. Chariot
is an epic cooperative adventure that combines unique physic driven action and strategic puzzle gameplay while making use of
some of the Wii U's unique new characteristics.

http://www.cmf-fmc.ca/documents/fil...s/2012-13_en_exp-prod-decisions-1st-round.pdf

Frima Studio seems relatively big, and they have "developed" Skylanders Universe for Activision, so this could perhaps be a nice title. Downloadable of course, but still.

Also, here's some programming paper about shaders for multiple platforms including Wii U: http://www.ws.ic.kanagawa-it.ac.jp/GameCreator/ogata/2012/GP11.pdf

It's in Japanese, so I can provide Google Translate translations, will post if I find something interesting. It's probably nothing though.

However I have also said the gap between Wii U and the other two next gen consoles will be smaller than the current gap between PS360 and current high end PCs so in essence I agree with you.

I asked yesterday but how many times more powerful are PS3 and 360 compared to the original Wii, i heard 20 times in one of the WUST's but that seems a bit high ?.

Cheers.

TunaLover

I know this is kind of out of the blue but i've been checking on facebook and i found some interesting stuff. Alot of the nintendo related like-pages are most popular in alot of latin american countries like mexico and chile. I know reggie has said before that latin america is an untapped gold mine for the video game industry but i did not know that they were already so popular there. Does anyone in latin-america gaf know how nintendo makes their products so appealing down there and does anybody think it can lead to some games catered specifically for them? i personally would LOVE a nintendo made samba de amigo

Wii and DS helped alot, during GCN era was all about PlayStation, at least here in Chile. Mario and Pokemon are quite popular over here, Zelda has a healthy number of followers too.

Marketing wise Nintendo falls behind, Sony is making a excellent job with outdoor advertisement for Uncharted 3 and Move, it has high Point of Purchase presence too. Nintendo tends to make only strong advertisement during christmas and system launch periods, I've never seen a Nintendo game advertised for example.

USC-fan

Banned
However I have also said the gap between Wii U and the other two next gen consoles will be smaller than the current gap between PS360 and current high end PCs so in essence I agree with you.

Yes it cannot be worse than a high end PC because the wiiu is more powerful than ps360.

On paper wiiu gpu is 2x-2.5x ps3 rsx, 3x ram of ps3, CPU = ?x ps3 ppu
On paper ps4 gpu is 7.5x ps3 rsx , 4x-8x ps3 ram, CPU = 10x ps3 ppu. At least this was true last year when lherre said the specs leaked is from.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Rösti;39860140 said:
I haven't seen this posted before, but it's from four days ago. It's a document of proposed game ideas to Canada Media Fund, and thus nothing concrete. However, it's a game idea that could come to frution. From Frima Studio, a title called Chariot:

http://www.cmf-fmc.ca/documents/fil...s/2012-13_en_exp-prod-decisions-1st-round.pdf

Frima Studio seems relatively big, and they have "developed" Skylanders Universe for Activision, so this could perhaps be a nice title. Downloadable of course, but still.

Also, here's some programming paper about shaders for multiple platforms including Wii U: http://www.ws.ic.kanagawa-it.ac.jp/GameCreator/ogata/2012/GP11.pdf

It's in Japanese, so I can provide Google Translate translations, will post if I find something interesting. It's probably nothing though.
It's a very basic tutorial in dx fx usage. Absolutely nothing of interest.

BringIt.gif

*Dies in 7.8 seconds flat*

*User 10k sets new survival record*

You can bet we will. Some claims not only from followers but from developers are mind numbing, I guess they are no different than "we" the crowd at Gaf. But discussing and reading you guys leave me no doubt that Nintendo has made the right choice in balance between power, innovation and likely cost. As for Microsoft and Sony I think they are choosing the path they have to and will do well too. As matter of fact the only thing that worries me about them is price...especially yours Sony. (doesn't matter if is too low and you take a huge loss or too high and becomes very expensive)

Yeah from a graphical standpoint, for what Nintendo is going for I'm content as it will be offset by a PC.

I asked yesterday but how many times more powerful are PS3 and 360 compared to the original Wii, i heard 20 times in one of the WUST's but that seems a bit high ?.

Cheers.

That's tough for me to guess as we're not just talking about power, but architecture differences. And at this point it doesn't even matter.

Yes it cannot be worse than a high end PC because the wiiu is more powerful than ps360.

On paper ps4 gpu is 7.5x ps3 rsx , 4x-8x ps3 ram, CPU = 10x ps3 ppu. At least this was true last year when lherre said the specs leaked is from.

Yeah. Wii U should be fine for what Nintendo is going for.

BlackJace

Would you rather have most Wii U games target 720p @60fps locked, or 1080p @sub to 30fps locked?

Personally I prefer the former, framerates are important to me.

Apophis2036 said:
There are lots of different comparisons to be made, but that 20x is probably the GPU FLOP comparison between Wii and X360.

ohlawd

Finished collecting all the treasures in Pikmin 2 (Wii) last night.

I was already hyped for Pikmin 3 before (maybe SS Goku hype levels?) but I'm now reaching SS4 Goku hype levels.

Sucks that the game is slated for a launch window release :(
Definitely won't be able to maintain that power level for months lol

wii u gpu :I think we need more detail before we can determine that.

wii u ram= 1.5-2.0GB

ps3 = 256MB ; x3 =768MB

Your multiplier is off.

Just to show off the excellent lighting found in ZombiU

SNIP

*note I am not the creator of this gif

Ah, that shows exactly what I was talking about re: camera movements earlier. You can see the smooth pan to look at the light, followed by a snap stop and then a smooth pan down that turns into a walk forward. It's not the kind of movement you'd expect from a player - too controlled and "directed" - so I'm guessing this wasn't recorded gameplay but a cinematic made in engine built to look like gameplay.

MDX

So we still don't know at what platforms it's on?, that's funny.

Its strange... because the website has:

Spartacus® Legends is a brand-new fighting game coming to Xbox LIVE® and PlayStation®Network in early 2013. It follows the journey of gladiators, from gut-wrenching training to raw, visceral combat in the arena, usually ending in death. Impose your will on the competition, rise through the global ranks and become legendary in battle. Featuring thousands of ruthless weapon combinations and a robust skill system, Spartacus Legends allows you to customize your gladiators and mercilessly dismember your enemies, limb by limb. Challenge your friends, your foes or the worldwide leaderboards, online or offline, to forge your destiny and fight for your house honor. Two men enter the arena, will you come out alive?

Is this a title that has now switched platforms?
Or, like many other games, the WiiU is simply not being mentioned in promo material.
Or, 1UP made a mistake listing WiiU.

nordique

Ah, that shows exactly what I was talking about re: camera movements earlier. You can see the smooth pan to look at the light, followed by a snap stop and then a smooth pan down that turns into a walk forward. It's not the kind of movement you'd expect from a player - too controlled and "directed" - so I'm guessing this wasn't recorded gameplay but a cinematic made in engine built to look like gameplay.

For the record, I believe that is actually a gif made from a direct feed Comic-Con developer walkthrough, so it might be live gameplay

Not certain though.

nordique

Also for anyone interested, wsippel posted some nice screens in the main Zombi U thread over in the gaming section showing the differences between the E3 demo and the current Comic Con build.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Just to show off the excellent lighting found in ZombiU

zombiunurserytrailer0b7zz8.gif

*note I am not the creator of this gif
I don't get what that dirt filter is. Is the player character wearing glasses or some kind of visor?

As for the lighting, it looks nice but does little in my opinion to draw focus away from less impressive textures. Sure, the game is in beta (?), but even then it should be possible to have textures in higher resolution than demonstrated at places. Gameplay looks nice though, but I don't really like the way weapons are picked up. Couldn't there be an animation where you see the character grabbing the weapon instead of just obtaining it by pressing a button and see it immediately disappear?

Would you rather have most Wii U games target 720p @60fps locked, or 1080p @sub to 30fps locked?

Personally I prefer the former, framerates are important to me.

Same here. 720p @60fps is what I'd like to see if I had to choose between one or the other. That said, I think there will still be plenty of games running at 720p and 30fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom