• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksrb

Speaking of zombies, does anyone else think RE6 will end up being awful? I've not been impressed with what I've seen of it.

------

Q about Zombie U. Will they change the height of the first person view depending on the survivor you are playing?

A. I think RE6 will, by choosing the feature 3 play styles, be few peoples favorite RE game - but that doesn't mean that it won't be a fun play through.

B. I would be shocked if they did. That conceivably mean that some obstacles, etc. would have to be tailored to all the possible heights and also change with each survivor.

Antagon

If I remember right, ZombiU also uses the touchscreen for reloading (for example, for a revolver you have to tap open chambers to reload them one by one). Seems like an interesting mechanic and should keep the encounters tense. Game looks great.

ugoo18

If I remember right, ZombiU also uses the touchscreen for reloading (for example, for a revolver you have to tap open chambers to reload them one by one). Seems like an interesting mechanic and should keep the encounters tense. Game looks great.

0_0 damm looks like i gotta be even stingier with bullets than i originally planned lol

HylianTom

Banned
Holy crap!!!

I'm daydreaming about a Launch Week vacation plan right now:
- play Super Mario Wii U during daylight hours
- play ZombiU during nightlight hours, with only my lanterns/candles and TV lit in the house..

Seems like a pretty good arrangement to me, hehe!

jerd

Sounds pretty cool. Wonder if they will implement a "fumble" where a missed touch causes you to drop the round :p

The only thing I'm a little uneasy about with that new Zombi U footage is the player and camera movement. There's something a little too scripted about it, and it reminds me a lot of the early Red Steel gameplay shown that turned out to be a "target video" that was never met (remember the guy in the lift, dodging out to fight guys in a stairwell?).

I don't think this is the same case, but seeing a video that isn't obviously player-controlled but purports to be gameplay always make me a little iffy.

Hoodbury

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81GJDhkAWv4

In this video the player dies a couple of times. Check out how the characters are introduced, exactly the same way in exactly the same position.

Hmm, well I guess everyone is entitled to having their own quirks of things that bother them. To me that seems pretty small to describe as something you could "hate, HATE". But then, I was raised as 'Hate' being a very strong word to use.

It's also very possible that was just the respawn they used for the demo. But I guess I can see how that would ruin some immersion. You also have to think there is an unlimited amount of times you can die and would need to respawn as someone new. They can only do so much when the system could be so vast.

jmizzal

To be fair, alot of the issues with Red Steel came down to the gesture recognition and IR pointing bounding box issues. Many devs struggled with this early on, and Red Steel 2 was a major improvement (tho still flawed - arbitrary points of no return are absolute madness). Graphically, yeah it was nowhere near the bullshots, but I had fun with it as a rental. As long as ZombiU's framerate doesn't take a nosedive frequently, it's shaping up to be a solid launch title.

Yea Red Steel didnt live up to the bull shoots graphically but Red Steel is still one of the best looking Wii games and it came at launch.

Red Steel biggest issues were the controls, as long as ZombiU nails the controls I dont see anything that can make it that bad. It may not be a 90 rating game but im sure it will be over 80 rating.

Pineconn

MW3 is one of the better examples of Wii online, but the host suffers lag. Not played it much, but most Wii owners say BLOPs is the best online experience for them.

Yeah, I've played it quite a bit (but not as much as GoldenEye). MW3 plays more smoothly than GE, but it has a worse "lag raping" effect than GE. I've had games where I'm somewhat untouchable and I've had games where I can't kill crap. Plus, I'm nervous to boot up MW3 again due to its hacking problem. I don't want my Wii blocked from online...

jmizzal

Yea I like the reloading, also it doesnt have auto reload, like a lot of FPS when you run out of bullets and then press shoot button the game will auto reload your gun. In the latest video you can see when the guy shoots and run outta bullets he is just shooting empty clips, and has to manual reload the gun. I think that is great of a game like this, real survival horror.

jerd

Just went back and watched some E3 videos, and it may be my fanboy eyes, but the new footage looks head and shoulders above the month old vids.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I hope the game world is actually fairly large; I like the idea of roaming around an open world London savaging for supplies and searching for survivors.

HeySeuss

ZombiU looks really good and I'll be getting it day one. But the thing that bothers me the most, as trivial as it may sound, is picking up items as if by magic. Why can't they make a hand animation where you actually grab the item you're picking up? I really hate that, takes me out of the atmosphere .

I'm curious, could you put Zombi U on the 360/PS3 and make it look visually the same as the Wii U?.

Maybe NaughtyDog, with 4 years dev time, it might end up looking only a little worse lol. Seriously, there are no lighting and shadows like that on any ps360 game.

ASIS

Hmm, well I guess everyone is entitled to having their own quirks of things that bother them. To me that seems pretty small to describe as something you could "hate, HATE". But then, I was raised as 'Hate' being a very strong word to use.

It's also very possible that was just the respawn they used for the demo. But I guess I can see how that would ruin some immersion. You also have to think there is an unlimited amount of times you can die and would need to respawn as someone new. They can only do so much when the system could be so vast.

Well yeah, the 'hate' thing is just an emphasis on this tiny nitpick, I don't actually feel any sort of actual hate towards the game. Its not the main reason why I'm still not sold on the game, but its one of those things that feels like they need more work.

The_Lump

Banned
I imagine the USB 2 move was primarily due to ubiquity. Most people don't have USB 3 enclosures and USB 2 is über popular still. If they went USB 3 devs still would have to have optimised for USB 2 anyway.

Ah yes, that settles it. Knew I'd forgotten something important like fragmenting userbases :p

Thanks!

Meelow

Banned
Maybe NaughtyDog, with 4 years dev time, it might end up looking only a little worse lol. Seriously, there are no lighting and shadows like that on any ps360 game.

Yeah, Zombi U looks like a next gen game, even though trolls like saying how "lol the 360/PS3 can easily run that".

They never give up trolling the Wii U.

ASIS

Yeah, Zombi U looks like a next gen game, even though trolls like saying how "lol the 360/PS3 can easily run that".

Ehh.. the textures aren't great to be honest. Hell it doesn't even look as good as the Wii U tech demos from last year.
It looks good, but I wouldn't call it next gen good. Gameplay, on the other hand, looks VERY interesting.

Meelow

Banned
Ehh.. the textures aren't great to be honest. Hell it doesn't even look as good as the Wii U tech demos from last year.
It looks good, but I wouldn't call it next gen good. Gameplay, on the other hand, looks VERY interesting.

All they really need to do is fix up the textures and where good to go.

Just went back and watched some E3 videos, and it may be my fanboy eyes, but the new footage looks head and shoulders above the month old vids.

Nah I don't think it's your fanboy eyes ;) It does look a bit better. Seems others agree. I certainly don't remember as many people impressed with the graphics around e3.

No-one share my opinion of the camera/player movements? It just looks slightly too stagey, rather than live play. I suspect it wasn't recorded from a live game session - perhaps created in-engine, hence the smooth movement?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
No-one share my opinion of the camera/player movements? It just looks slightly too stagey, rather than live play. I suspect it wasn't recorded from a live game session - perhaps created in-engine, hence the smooth movement?

IGN has what should be a real walk through

Link

IGN has what should be a real walk through

Link

Hm. Off-screen and a different section.

I don't think that Ubi are pulling a Red Steel with the new Nursery vid, but I've been burnt by them on both Red Steel - the first screenshots, then the elevator trailer - and Red Steel 2 - the opening truck scene that was supposed to be in-game - before (and that's just on Wii!) so...

I'd like to see some direct-feed or better offscreen of the Nursery section if it's up at the SDCC.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Wait, this is being shown off at Comic-Con?

XPlay did an hour long show from Comic-Con yesterday and didn't mention it once.

Gahiggidy

Meelow, no but they showed a trailer for Justice: Gods Amongst Us and the end of the trailer had a Wii U logo along with all the other logos and other text.

Glass Joe

You think it looks next gen? I thought I saw quality footage of Zombi U before and felt underwhelmed graphically. My initial impressions is that it looked like a 360 with some cool and fun touch screen interaction. Perhaps I should look again with a stronger focus on effects. But IMO something "next gen" should simply scream out at me in an obvious manner, not be the sort of thing that has to investigated carefully, like a shadow here or texture there, or a random lighting effect.

You think it looks next gen? I thought I saw quality footage of Zombi U before and felt underwhelmed graphically. My initial impressions is that it looked like a 360 with some cool and fun touch screen interaction. Perhaps I should look again with a stronger focus on effects. But IMO something "next gen" should simply scream out at me in an obvious manner, not be the sort of thing that has to investigated carefully, like a shadow here or texture there, or a random lighting effect.

Might want to give your monitor a good clean as well >_<

Buh? Games like Crysis 2 on 360 on a lot more impressive. I'm sure ZombiU could run on current gen hardware...

Nah.

Meelow

Banned

It's not true next gen but it looks impressive graphically for a lunch game.

japtor

I'm not an expert and don't really understand how to interpret those specs, but I'd say it puts the PS4 in the same generation as Wii U.
The "next" generation?
Throw in a fancy excessive DoF effect on screen when using gamepad actions.

Where are you getting this from. ZombiU certainly looks better than what it was made to look to be by certain people at E3, but the game has definitely been surpassed on current gen consoles.

Opinions are great, mine is. Nah. Lighting and shadows like that... in true 720p... Nah. Sorry.

The "next" generation?

Throw in a fancy excessive DoF effect on screen when using gamepad actions.

Good point. Not seen any in this game yet. Wonder if they'll engage the awesome Wii U DoF before release. Almost the only game that's bucking the Wii U DoF trend.

I don't think L4D2 (unless you're talking about the PC version) looks as good.

960511_20091117_screen037.jpg

960511_20091117_screen043.jpg

Of course it doesn't have to because it was set up for 4 player coop

I'm currently looking for a Scrabble partner.

You can't even spell "juxtaposition" in scrabble, though :D

Check out 3:05 the nursery, all the toys and objects in the room looked super smooth and almost CG-ish.

Yeah the lighting has really improved since I last saw it. I don't recall those nice refractions on the rain glass windows, but maybe I wasn't looking very hard before. The toys and other objects do look very nice indeed, but I still think they're relatively low-poly. I was hoping to see some tessellation, I guess.

The M.O.B

Don't compare l4d to ZombieU, one has hundreds of zombies on screen at once, the other is slower paced with small amounts of zombies in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom