• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Love the tickle attack. These games show such creativity.

me too. this and zombi are really interesting for wiiu (it doesn't mattet to me if they could be available later on also for other consoles: they are so cool with upad features...)

What would happened If someone broke their WiiU gamepad though? Will you be SOL?

I would assume if the Gamepad isn't available separately at launch and the one that comes with system breaks you would be able to get a replacement/or get it fixed directly from Nintendo. I am sure they will have something worked out for those situations.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Really interesting NotEnoughShaders interview with Xander Davis, talking about THQ, Vigil and Darksiders II.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/201...erview-with-xander-davis-about-thq-and-vigil/

Warning: he doesn't hold back about the Wii U.

I’ve not worked on any Wii U version of anything (luckily). But, y’know, I very early on raised my major concern about this. Anybody buying any Wii U game that’s a port is probably buying it almost exclusively and specifically for how it can play differently through the Wii U’s alleged innovated UI. I’m already a known skeptic on whether the interface paradigm is at all anything but idiotic. But if you’re gonna do it? Fine. Then, you HAVE to do it right. You HAVE to innovate on the UI. You HAVE to enhance game mechanics and gameplay in a MATERIAL way that justifies all the hassle and a $400 Xbox 360 seven years late. I can’t comment on THQ / Vigil specifically. However, just in general, I doubt any studio or publisher is truly giving it the kind of proper UI design and thinking it deserves. Hell, apparently this is a huge leap for regular triple-A console releases. From what I’m hearing from people who have actually played a Wii U as recently as a month ago, the games pretty much suck and the tablet is pretty much a complete gimmick.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
There are some nice assets around inside the palace. Nice dynamic shadows on this one.

I think that, graphically, the best mini clip is the "light my fire" one. really liked the fire effects, but also the different lights (artificial and natural filtering from the windows)
other clips (such as ladder of the death) instead are a little disappointing in terms of texture and polycount. I hope they'll take care of the technical aspect to level up everything.
gameplay wise, I'm loving this game, both for its gameplay and for its gamepad integration.

Oh, and also Raymna looks so cool. Ubi rules on the Wii U, up to now.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Whoever is playing sucks. I'll give him/her the benefit of the doubt though and assume it has something to do with a potential no inverted controls option on the demo (had problems with the Multiplayer showcase because of this).

Effect

Really interesting NotEnoughShaders interview with Xander Davis, talking about THQ, Vigil and Darksiders II.

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/201...erview-with-xander-davis-about-thq-and-vigil/

Is he suppose to be important? Can't read the article. Guy sounds like he hates the system full stop. So he's admitting to not have worked on it or even played any games on it. He admits to having no inside information either. Which makes his opinion on the subject 100% worthless. I would go as far to say the "people" he references don't even exist. Meaning he's sitting there talking bs and lying in hopes of getting attention.

Edit: I see in the other thread in gaming he's an ex Vigil employee. He also wasn't credited in Darksiders 2. It's making sense now. Guy is very bitter. Also he's making an iOS game now. His bashing of the Wii U Gamepad makes sense now as well. One does not have to innovate. Simply moving maps and inventory management to the screen at the very least greatly improves the gaming experience. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is a prime example of that. Zombi U is shaping up to show that as well. Same with Mass Effect 3 and Batman: AC. Which further shows he's just lying his ass off.

I think that, graphically, the best mini clip is the "light my fire" one. really liked the fire effects, but also the different lights (artificial and natural filtering from the windows)
other clips (such as ladder of the death) instead are a little disappointing in terms of texture and polycount. I hope they'll take care of the technical aspect to level up everything.
gameplay wise, I'm loving this game, both for its gameplay and for its gamepad integration.

Oh, and also Raymna looks so cool. Ubi rules on the Wii U, up to now.

Yeah I know, like I was saying before, you see bits where you think 'niceeee', then other bits where you're like 'rough-arse man'!! That chandelier in the palace was a nice centre piece, not sure if the sparkles on that were dynamic... were lots of little droplets on it.

Well that guy sounds a bit salty. I thought the last sentence in that paragraph was a bit more telling about the guy though...

I can only speculate, but as a UI Designer applying experienced critical thinking to game mechanics UI and the Wii U tablet, none of it makes sense to me to truly add value to gamers, even if you try.

prag16

Banned
Well that guy sounds a bit salty. I thought the last sentence in that paragraph was a bit more telling about the guy though...

Yeah, this guy doesn't sound like he knows jack shit. Also sound like he has an axe to grind for whatever reason. The last sentence removes all doubt.

$400 360 seven years late. Lol.

RAWi

So he hasn't played it nor hasn't worked on it, yet he knows that it is a "$400 Xbox 360" and the controllers is garbage?

Damn how professional :D.

However, it is true that every Developer should take full advantage of the Wii U Gamepad and create great UI and mechanics.

MDX

What if Nintendo surprises everyone and launches with
a first run silver unit WiiU?

With black & white launching a few months later?

Some retailers are nervous that the public, outside of fanboys, will
perceive the gamepad as simply an extra controller for the WiiU.
So maybe Nintendo should have at least launched with a different color than the Wii.

Not knowing Nintendo's marketing plan, I still think its a problem.
However, one can argue, its OK that people think the gamepad is a
tablet, because they would expect to pay between $300-600
for just a tablet anyway. So the fact that it comes with an upgraded Wii
is not a big deal.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is he suppose to be important? Can't read the article. Guy sounds like he hates the system full stop. So he's admitting to not have worked on it or even played any games on it. He admits to having no inside information either. Which makes his opinion on the subject 100% worthless. I would go as far to say the "people" he references don't even exist. Meaning he's sitting there talking bs and lying in hopes of getting attention.

Edit: I see in the other thread in gaming he's an ex Vigil employee. He also wasn't credited in Darksiders 2. It's making sense now. Guy is very bitter. Also he's making an iOS game now. His bashing of the Wii U Gamepad makes sense now as well. One does not have to innovate. Simply moving maps and inventory management to the screen at the very least greatly improves the gaming experience. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is a prime example of that. Zombi U is shaping up to show that as well. Same with Mass Effect 3 and Batman: AC. Which further shows he's just lying his ass off.

Acidic, defensive posts like this ones are why so many people don't want to deal with some posters in this thread when it comes to the topic of the Wii U.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Acidic, defensive posts like this ones are why so many people don't want to deal with some posters in this thread when it comes to the topic of the Wii U.

Well honestly it's not simply to properly handle also interview (?) like that...full of preconcepts and stereotypes, with the "gimmick" word used as a shield to cover the "un-creativity" of a lot of people.
and that's one of the reason why, as you said, so many people don't want to deal with some posters when it comes to the topic of the Wii U.
just, on the other side.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not sure if serious.

Completely serious. Because of a (disagreeable) opinion on the Wii U this guy is apparently a liar. A liar about having his and his co-workers job security screwed over and unappreciated by THQ. A bullshitter. Implied he's not important, too, and has a worthless opinion.

Because he doesn't like the Wii U.

Well honestly it's not simply to properly handle also interview (?) like that...full of preconcepts and stereotypes, with the "gimmick" word used as a shield to cover the "un-creativity" of a lot of people.
and that's one of the reason why, as you said, so many people don't want to deal with some posters when it comes to the topic of the Wii U.
just, on the other side.

He was asked for his personal opinion on the Wii U in a small portion of an interview otherwise dedicated to a completely separate topic.

You, I, we might disagree with him. Best get used to disagreeing with how some people feel about the Wii U, and fast.

Anth0ny

Pretty sure this is how every community thread is lol

I remember popping into the 3D Land thread a few months after its release with a post that basically amounted to "This game is good, not great." It was followed with about 10 "lolwut" and/or "Are you serious?" posts.

EatChildren

I remember popping into the 3D Land thread a few months after its release with a post that basically amounted to "This game is good, not great." It was followed with about 10 "lolwut" and/or "Are you serious?" posts.

oh god this is me in every half life thread

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Completely serious. Because of a (disagreeable) opinion on the Wii U this guy is apparently a liar. A liar about having his and his co-workers job security screwed over and unappreciated by THQ. A bullshitter. Implied he's not important, too, and has a worthless opinion.

He was asked for his personal opinion on the Wii U in a small portion of an interview otherwise dedicated to a completely separate topic.

You, I, we might disagree with him. Best get used to disagreeing with how some people feel about the Wii U, and fast.

Just to clarify: I don't think that he is a liar.
It's just depressing to see:

1) a developer that cover its lack of creativity under the "gimmick" shield
2) a developer that shit on a console that he doesn't even know (he didn't work on it, he didn't play it, he doesn't know it, for his own admission)
3) I was referring to the derail of the Wii U topics, due to users posts, and not to his actual interview, replying to your previous tip about users bad behaviours, pointig out that as usual for Nintendo related topics they are full of fanboy VS haters users, unfortunately

Personally, I have no problem with users that don't like the Wii U, especially if they allow me and other to...like it (and I don't even like ti so much, up to now. it misses too many confirmation about both graphics and games, up to now)

I just leave threads when people act like that. Folks just like to jab at each other at the expense of signal to noise ratios. I posted recently an opinion in a thread and somebody replied something like "Seriously what a dumb thing to say". So I'm out.

This thread is generally more relaxed fun, though, so I can take that sort of thing a little more here.

Anyway, I can't watch the video here, so I can only glean what was discussed from the comments here. It sounds like the fellow just wants the exact same experience as the prior generation (and as the generation before) but with more horsepower. That's a fairly valid concern, especially for a developer. Developers often like static targets, and having to learn new ways of doing things can be a major pain in the ass. Mind, I don't agree with him, as I don't care much for pushing polys. I would like to point out that he may be dramatically overestimating the cost of the system. $400 would be a case of major sticker shock for me.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

lolwut?

Are you serious?!?!?

I hate when people seriously do that

So when should we be seeing some new announcements at Gamescom? Today's the big day isn't it?

I hope the games shown aren't only games we've seen/known of already. :(

Meelow

Banned
So when should we be seeing some new announcements at Gamescom? Today's the big day isn't it?

I hope the games shown aren't only games we've seen/known of already. :(
Chances of important Wii U announcements are very unlikely, all the important stuff is under NDA, and I think they won't be liften until a Wii U specific Nintendo Direct

The_Lump

Banned
So seeing as WiiU kits have now bumped up to sdk 2.06, has anyone heard of any notable changes? I seem to remember there were murmerings (from Ideaman I beleive) about audio problems in sdk 2.05, so much so that 2.04 was still being preferred. Any note on whether this update has sorted anything?

I think this is a totally different matter when the guy is obviously in no emotional state to offer a level opinion, contradicts himself several times, apparently knows a few people who have played it and they all apparently said the same thing about it, Vs, the growing mountain of positive previews of Wii U.

You can sort of forgive people for being a little dubious about the guy. Obviously.

Edit. I do think calling him a liar is a bit strong and I'm not convinced the guy is a straight up arse hole either like some are calling him. But I don't think he is in a place to give out an opinion of any value at the moment.

Shokio

Neo Member
From what I’m hearing from people who have actually played a Wii U as recently as a month ago, the games pretty much suck and the tablet is pretty much a complete gimmick. Still tethered, not wireless. Maybe publishers can pull off something clever. But won’t it just kind of be clever for a little bit, then not really worth your $60 dollars and just annoying afterwards? Kinect comes to mind. PlayStation Move comes to mind. Motherfucking Wii comes to mind. But, sure, we’ll have to wait and see… I can’t comment on specifics. I can only speculate, but as a UI Designer applying experienced critical thinking to game mechanics UI and the Wii U tablet, none of it makes sense to me to truly add value to gamers, even if you try.

Can't tell if developer............or random fanboy on the internet....

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

Do you disagree with him?

I don't know the set of circumstances that led Mr. Davis to say what he said about the WiiU. He could be right, or he could be wrong. What I do know is that he comes off as abrasive and arrogant.

jerd

I don't know the set of circumstances that led Mr. Davis to say what he said about the WiiU. He could be right, or he could be wrong. What I do know is that he comes off as abrasive and arrogant.

Yeah I'm all for opinions and whatnot, but I didn't really like the "I've never touched it but I hate it and it is stupid" approach.

Hakai

The guy is just telling what he thinks, he is not stating that the Wii U sucks, he is saying that he think it sucks.

Tha sad part is that he show a lot of hate and ignorance in his opinion, like saying the Wii U is a Xbox 360 seven years later. This coming from someone who is working in the industry just shows the mindset we can expect.

Sadist

Relax people. There are developers out there who "hated" working on Sony or MS hardware. Developers have their preferences and this guy isn't a fan of Nintendo's plans for Wii U. Too bad, but different opinions need to exist. Even though I find the way how he explains himself very crude.

mimho

Not precisely, but maybe because him are giving opinion about something that himself declare that don't have a direct experience, and for giving harsh opinion on the work of others in the UI of others games.

Nothing against who dislike the WiiU, but at least give it a try

I'm sure that you've played HalfLife, and you've your opinion, and not simply talked with someone else of the game, and never played it.

PS Same to me on other forum when i've writed "I don't like Heavy Rain"

No, im sorry, you are wrong here. The guy hasnt had any significant experience with the console yet is completely calling it shit in a brutal and decisive way. He goes way over the top to act as if it is universally bad. He acts as if his taste is the only taste in gaming, and he does so with almost no actual experience with it. That my friend, is called stupidity. That is bias at its worst. Not only that, but as a professional he should be handling his statements in public a little better, for at least the sake of his associates.

And no absolutely not, people arent staying away from this thread because of the defensive statements. People are staying away, even creating their own websites and IRC channels to avoid the trolls that no one will moderate.

Let me give you an example of a quality post fit for a forum:

In this scenario the poster hates the wii u and thinks its for kids and that no good games will come from it, and doubts the significance of the touch screen controller:

"I want to like the Wii U, but im not sure if its suited for my tastes in games, and im not sold yet on how the controller will fit into the types of gameplay experiences im used to with conventional controllers."

With a post like that, no one can argue his stance with anger, because although he is being a skeptic of the console he is stating his opinion in a way that is understandable. Lets take a look at the posts we actually get:

"LOL 7 year old hardware"

"LOL gimmicky controller"

"Everyone i know says the games suck"

Etc etc etc. And then what happens? People rush to defend because the statements are INFLAMMATORY. Thats the difference between moderating for opinion and moderating for posting quality. Opinions are fine. Inflammatory posts are always going to get defensive responses on any forum where posting quality is not held up to a standard. In this case, it is not a poster necessarily it is an article. But the opinion expressed in the article is absolutely done in a childish, overly judgemental, biased, hyperbolic, and insulting way. I have never once wanted to avoid this thread because of people who are excited for Wii U news etc. But the constant flow of negative trolling etc has made me embarrassed to even be a gamer at times. So im sorry but i disagree that defense is what is keeping people away from this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom