• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewox

Banned
The Project Cars "Career Design Document" (May 2012) mentions "WiiU Accomplishments".

Is the name just a placeholder or was it ever confirmed?

untitledjxjiv.jpg

Source (only for registered members I think)

YES! That's it!

They've used some other word than this awful fuuuu... achivementZZZ.

Ah god I hate that word, Nintendo first-party won't use em a lot, but for 3rd-parties it's a global sys with a more suitable word. "AchivementZ" are so so diluted, with all the negativity being associated with it like the el-cheapo "beat the game on normal to get supar dupar unlock mombojombo ultimateFX hyperonline street-muscle omegamassive random character sticker and 500 bonuZ pointZZZZ!" kind of useless achivements, like "shot down 10 enemies in 5 minutes to get this and that", just like DLC, get into the meat of it, this repetitive utterly annoying term coined by who other than major publishers, the so called DEEE-ELLL-SEEE when i see that word it always rings: "it costs, consolized, weapon skinz, modern warfail"

This is the time of true celebration when it's WELL DESERVED.

I like the way online is being developed, i totally agree with nintendo philosophy, no following suits, no humping on bad and annoying trends. I like it, they are resisting western stuff well, i don't want it to feel like some kind of XBL with honestly i really don't like that style of GUI, i don't want my console to feel like checking mail in iPhone (and i don't have an iPhone at all and never will)

That's news! That's a surprise (actually not for those who know how nintendo goes, I didn't expect it, but I knew from the reports of iwata no liking DLC and dev teams talking about not liking the idea of achivements, at that point it was looking better and better, e3 really is irrelevant*)

AppleBlade

So what do you guys think? Will there be a wii remote in the box? There have been a lot of wii remote usage in trailers and at demo stations. "Asymmetric" gaming is their big thing and you kinda need another controller in addition to the Wii U Gamepad for it to work.

PS - A trusted employee at my local Gamestop told me that he's been hearing that Gamepad manufacturing issues are threatening to push the Wii U launch into December.

RAWi

So, Accomplishments like the Accomplishments on the 3DS?

I like that.

I hope Third Party developers to follow a "new" way of doing Accomplishments, by giving you some kind of "award" that can be used in the game after doing the Accomplishment.

... we really need that Nintendo Direct.

PS - A trusted employee at my local Gamestop told me that he's been hearing that Gamepad manufacturing issues are threatening to push the Wii U launch into December.

Probably a second-hand version of the rumour that issues were threatening to push European launch back to December. I doubt Nintendo will be willing to miss Black Friday in the US.

Meelow

Banned

I like that.

I hope Third Party developers to follow a "new" way of doing Accomplishments, by giving you some kind of "award" that can be used in the game after doing the Accomplishment.

... we really need that Nintendo Direct.

This x100.

AppleBlade

Not sure if this has been posted but the following latency analysis found that the Gamepad rendered the image faster then the TV. I'm sure this will vary TV to TV as the image processing on HDTV's has always been known to cause lag (that's why many have a game mode). Anyways, this makes me happy because lag free gamepad gaming is one of the selling points for me.

Wii U latency/lag analysis

As I said, its just based on the experience I had today. It can change.
But hey man, everyone has his own opinion. Its just what I think right now after testing it (purely as a controller). Just a bit frustrated, because maybe my expectations were set too high :)

We have had the nintendo DS/3DS control scheme for 8 years. Why are you still thinking this tried and true industry standard approaching a 200 million userbase is "gimmicky" or not "gamer" enough? Also why do you have problem with your eyes focusing from the gamepad to the big screen when you aren't even moving your head to do so? If you are moving your head you are holding it very wrong. it tales the same amount of time for you to focus on one section of the big screen to the middle and from the gamepad to the screen. There is no time difference at all but there is the added effect of less clutter on the main screen.

If you remember what makes the DS/3DS control system cool then you will get the same thing on wii u and the gamepad.

Stewox

Banned
Not sure if this has been posted but the following latency analysis found that the Gamepad rendered the image faster then the TV. I'm sure this will vary TV to TV as the image processing on HDTV's has always been known to cause lag (that's why many have a game mode). Anyways, this makes me happy because lag free gamepad gaming is one of the selling points for me.

Wii U latency/lag analysis

If you seem one of my previous posts in several pages back, this is no news, and it's not something to be excited about in terms of dual-screen experience.

WiiU will require a HDTV latency check in which the controller will be synced to the HDTV pixel response, that means the same delay will be artificially reflected in the controller.

So, blame the HDTVs crappy firmwares, it's the industry's greated failure.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not the lighting and shadows EC, and not without a shedload of screen tearing - something that has always got right on my tits tbh. What's the point in a developer upping the eye candy quality when it turns to complete shite whenever you move the bloody camera..?!!?!?

You also have to remember that this is an early build of a new demo. You can tell this because some of the textures aren't great and there's jaggies all over the place, most noticeable when watching the stairs off-screen footage. Just have a look at the difference between the E3 demo and the Comic Con demo and trailers - we should see a similar but not quite as big difference between this demo and the RC. There was only a month difference between E3 and Comic Con as far as I remember and the difference was quite striking.

I know it's a build of a new demo. But no, I don't think the lighting and shadows in those screenshots are nothing overly impressive, and nothing that should be comfortably achievable on current generation platforms.

Thankfully the more polished areas we've seen unsurprisingly look a lot better. I hope these areas see similar improvements, and look less flat lit and muddy.

Do you disagree with him?

I do, very much so. But I don't think that discredits the rest of the interview (which had nothing to do with the Wii U, at all), nor invalidates his position on a poor work conditions at Virgil and his issues with THQ. And I cannot fathom how any reasonable person would think otherwise, unless they've got a childish allegiance to a platform and feel the necessity for knee jerk defence and character assassination against anybody who stands opposed, regardless of how smart or stupid that person's argument might be.

Interesting to see how other posters replied though, and their stance on the matter. Food for thought. Going to be interesting months ahead when people are forced to mingle with others who maybe aren't as overtly optimistic and positive about the platform.

I'm half expecting a ND to be announced today for tomorrow, at least in Japan, so Nintendo can undercut some of the Sony goodwill from Gamescon and dominate the weekend headlines.

Of course, that's stupid. Next week at the earliest.

I like that.

Wait, you mean doing something extra cool in a game unlocks something in the game?

How… novel?

It's somehow better a concept than Achievements or Trophies despite being over a decade and a half older. I would not complain if that's what Nintendo was doing here.

Still holding out for cross-game unlocks

Nice find, that's probably the name of Wii U's version of Achievements/Trophies.

I was gonna say we can't be so sure, but then again,....

It's never been confirmed, but the StreetPass Mii Plaza on the 3DS has "accomplishments," so it makes sense the Wii U would use the same term.

...I never noticed that the term is already used on the 3DS.

We'll know soon enough I guess.

deviljho

What? Did this person actually get this information from someone or did he read it from the internet and simply pass it along?

japtor

Don't be trashing Your Shape.

I use that as my main source of fitness (Kinect version) and it destroys me repeatedly.  It is a fantastic way to get in shape.
Someone should just partner with Nike for these games, pack it in with the Nike+/Fuel band things or something. Their commercial is already video gamey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjpYA95oxyA
But the time span between announcement and the show is shrinking with each installment.

Nintendo: NINTENDO DIRECT IS ON RIGHT NOW.
2 minute sizzle reel followed by price and a preorder link at the new online Nintendo Store. The launch date will just be a vague "SOON!" Five lucky preorderers will receive golden gamepads and a tour of the Wii U factories in China, along with a job offer (at Foxconn, not Nintendo).

So what do you guys think? Will there be a wii remote in the box? There have been a lot of wii remote usage in trailers and at demo stations. "Asymmetric" gaming is their big thing and you kinda need another controller in addition to the Wii U Gamepad for it to work.
Yes

No employees of any game store are ever told anything about game console releases before they are announced to the public. And developers don't know exact release dates or prices until they are announced for that matter. The announcements are made enough in advance so that both game stores and developers have time to get ready.

RAWi

Wait, you mean doing something extra cool in a game unlocks something in the game?

How… novel?

Lol not exactly. That's why I wrote the [win] between apostrophes. It not something new, yet most Third Parties don't use that kind of extra.

Like in for example, on the Kirby games, when you get to some part or collect several items you get extra features, from mini-games to more colors. Or in SSBB the glass-board is full of "Achievements" or "Challenges" o "Accomplishments" and then you get to achieve one of them you get as a prize a Trophie with biography of the character, stages, music, stickers that can be used in the single player mode, etcetera.

I would love if Developers could take that route more often for their achievements.

Anth0ny

I see one of two possible scenarios playing out for the next Nintendo Direct:

1. Before 3DS XL NA launch, all about 3DS games.

2. After 3DS XL NA launch, possible Wii U news.

I would say next Monday would be the perfect Nintendo Direct day since it would be the day after the 3DS XL launch. It's really far beyond the time for a Wii U blow out, but it has to happen sooner or later.

AzaK

I see one of two possible scenarios playing out for the next Nintendo Direct:

1. Before 3DS XL NA launch, all about 3DS games.

2. After 3DS XL NA launch, possible Wii U news.

Or.....none until after the September info. It would seem a bit weird to me to do a Nintendo Direct within a month of the Wii U blow out unless they have so much to show they do something like they did at E3 and just release some "smaller" bits and pieces.

I'm basically expecting nothing until September.

Or.....none until after the September info. It would seem a bit weird to me to do a Nintendo Direct within a month of the Wii U blow out unless they have so much to show they do something like they did at E3 and just release some "smaller" bits and pieces.

I'm basically expecting nothing until September.

Teases! Give us teases! Or maybe a new NSMB or Pikmin trailer!

jmizzal

I'm sure he heard the same rumors as us about the European delay, I highly doubt he has an inside source, just prob talking about that one.

Gaf > Gamestop employee > Gaf

jmizzal

I would say next Monday would be the perfect Nintendo Direct day since it would be the day after the 3DS XL launch. It's really far beyond the time for a Wii U blow out, but it has to happen sooner or later.

Most have been estimating ND will be Aug 21st or 22nd based on previous ones

It kinda makes sense, WiiU Marketing ads our out, 3DSxl would be out, Gamescom would be over, and Ubisoft got a chance to push their WiiU stuff.

Then Bam Nintendo Direct

Then Sept right before TGS you get all the final WiiU details

I dont know which one would give launch date and price but the first has to announce preorders are open.

Roo

Can't wait for Rockstar to make Table Tennis 2 to Wii U and ignore a GTA V port, Capcom build a bottom up Bionic Commando vs. MotoGP tablet puzzle game and ignore Resident Evil 6, and Konami builds an adapted Metal Gear Rising engine game where you dice vegetables and cook them instead of bringing a Metal Gear game over.

Should be good times.

I'm sure GTA V is out of the question Wii U won't be getting it so people really should just let it go

Meelow

Banned
I'm sure GTA V is out of the question Wii U won't be getting it so people really should just let it go

Their is still a chance, Take-Two really has to start thinking "hmm, how do we know it won't sell?", it doesn't cost a lot to port to Wii U so they should bring it to Wii U and see how it does, how can the Wii U prove them that core gamers will buy these games on Wii U if they never gave Nintendo a chance?.

quadium32

Neo Member
Speaking of WiiU hardware: (CNN article that mentions Nintendo Manufacturing)
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/16/tech/gaming-gadgets/congo-blood-phones-report/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I saw this on the news this evening. Nintendo, apparently, was the only company to receive a score of 0 in terms of materials used (and whether slave/child labor is involved). Zero is a bad score here, it's not like golf.

I have to wonder if a prominent article like this will spark any protests like it did with Apple. Idk... what do y'all think?

I'm a big Nintendo fan, but I do think it might be more prudent of them to take some more steps rather than trying to abate responsibility. That would raise manufacturing costs, though, most likely.

Roo

Their is still a chance, Take-Two really has to start thinking "hmm, how do we know it won't sell?", it doesn't cost a lot to port to Wii U so they should bring it to Wii U and see how it does, how can the Wii U prove them that core gamers will buy these games on Wii U if they never gave Nintendo a chance?.

There's not.
I don't buy developers shitty excuse about games starting development way before Wii U was even announced but I think this really applies for GTA V. It is a huge project to split a portion of the team to make a Wii U version. If I were them, I'd do the same... just focus on the already planned platforms

Meelow

Banned
There's not.
I don't buy developers shitty excuse about games starting development way before Wii U was even announced but I think this really applies for GTA V. It is a huge project to split a portion of the team to make a Wii U version. If I were them, I'd do the same... just focus on the already planned platforms

I don't think that's fair though, devs say "how do we know are game will sell on a Nintendo console?" if they never gave them a chance, Take-Two can make a Direct port to Wii U I really don't care and I doubt a lot of other people will, Nintendo fans just want the game on Wii U.

Anth0ny

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/16/tech/gaming-gadgets/congo-blood-phones-report/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I saw this on the news this evening. Nintendo, apparently, was the only company to receive a score of 0 in terms of materials used (and whether slave/child labor is involved). Zero is a bad score here, it's not like golf.

I have to wonder if a prominent article like this will spark any protests like it did with Apple. Idk... what do y'all think?

I'm a big Nintendo fan, but I do think it might be more prudent of them to take some more steps rather than trying to abate responsibility. That would raise manufacturing costs, though, most likely.

"Nintendo is, I believe, the only company that has basically refused to acknowledge the issue or demonstrate they are making any sort of effort on it," said Sasha Lezhnev

Mr. Lezhnev could be referring to a number of things with this quote.

Don't worry to much about it. The only reason nintendo is being linked to "blood phones" is because they did not provide info as to how their products were being made and under what conditions. That could be because they are hiding something, but nintendo never releases that kind of information. IIRC (correct me if i am wrong) a few years back nintendo was named one of the most wasteful companies but only because they did not want to give away how much power the wii consumes (which we know is much less than the ps360)

jmizzal

They havent even announced any platforms for GTAV and Rockstar North was hiring people with Wii development experience last year, also the game being pushed back out of 2012 helps the WiiU case even more.

Nintendo would be stupid to not get GTAV on WiiU

jmizzal

There's not.

They dont have to split a portion of the team, Rockstar is huge so is Take2 they can out source to anybody, all those people would do is coding it for WiiU and use ideas for the Game Pad, Like what UBisoft is doing with AC3 which is a huge game that has been in development for a long time.

jmizzal

Don't worry to much about it. The only reason nintendo is being linked to "blood phones" is because they did not provide info as to how their products were being made and under what conditions. That could be because they are hiding something, but nintendo never releases that kind of information. IIRC (correct me if i am wrong) a few years back nintendo was named one of the most wasteful companies but only because they did not want to give away how much power the wii consumes (which we know is much less than the ps360)

Lol Yea Nintendo is so tight and secretive with info does not mean they are doing something bad, they just dont like to give info like with the WiiU haha.

They havent even announced any platforms for GTAV and Rockstar North was hiring people with Wii development experience last year, also the game being pushed back out of 2012 helps the WiiU case even more.

Source, please? If true, however, that could mean anything. For all we know, it could be something like Bully 2 or Table Tennis 2013 or something like that.

Roo

there is really no good reason for this they can give the port to an outside team and still cash in it may come very late but there really is no real reason not to do it

I'll believe it when I see it.
btw, jmizzal, there's an edit option
condense all the quotes in a single post, buddy.

jmizzal

Source, please? If true, however, that could mean anything. For all we know, it could be something like Bully 2 or Table Tennis 2013 or something like that.

http://www.1up.com/news/grand-theft-auto-developer-hiring

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/704920/rockstar-north-working-on-new-wii-game/

"According to the advert, the company seeks a physics programmer to work on unannounced projects for release on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and Wii. They're also on the lookout for a junior physics programmer to develop games on the DS and PSP, as well as the three consoles mentioned above."

This was 2010 right before the Project Cafe rumors came out

They could have listed Wii as a way of not giving away Nintendo's upcoming at the time unknown console, they could have had early dev kits.

Also that junior physics programmer was DS, PSP and Mobile Phones, since then GTA 3 has come out on iOS.

Rockstar North has not announced any game for PS3, 360 or Wii. the only announced big game from them since that listing has been GTAV.

Since when did this become Nintendo's choice?

Terrell

To distract from all of this teeth-gnashing, I found something in my old post history that I thought was hilarious... first, because it's further mounting evidence that I'm eerily prophetic, and second, because of what was said.

Hop in the Wayback Machine and see what GAF thought in 2006 about Monolith Soft and about Nintendo making them part of their developer stable

But FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, if you are able to do so, DO NOT POST THERE. Raising dead threads is dangerous and CAN be bannable if done without extremely due cause.

To distract from all of this teeth-gnashing, I found something in my old post history that I thought was hilarious... first, because it's further mounting evidence that I'm eerily prophetic, and second, because of what was said.

Hop in the Wayback Machine and see what GAF thought in 2006 about Monolith Soft and about Nintendo making them part of their developer stable

But FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, if you are able to do so, DO NOT POST THERE. Raising dead threads is dangerous and CAN be bannable if done without extremely due cause.

Holy shit. Quick! What is your predictionon nintendo first party output for the next year or so?

Nintendo may not be into buying companies but when they do this slow seduction it seems to work well enough - I am loving Xenoblade right now 49 hours in :D

I wonder if that company lost people when Nintendo took charge?

Pineconn

Since when did this become Nintendo's choice?

Yeah, really. I'm sure Nintendo doesn't twiddle their thumbs waiting for a third party to release a quality game on their platforms, either. Certainly they try to get support from blockbusters. Hopefully. Maybe.
I don't really know.

Lol, I could only imagine Nintendo calling up, say, Rockstar and asking them to support Wii with GTA IV. I'm sure the devs had many laughs.

What's you opinion on Platinum Games?

;)

Yeah, really. I'm sure Nintendo doesn't twiddle their thumbs waiting for a third party to release a quality game on their platforms, either. Certainly they try to get support from blockbusters. Hopefully. Maybe.
I don't really know.

Lol, I could only imagine Nintendo calling up, say, Rockstar and asking them to support Wii with GTA IV. I'm sure the devs had many laughs.

They did actually did. Nintendo moneyhatted rockstar pretty hard for a gta iv port and all they got was chinatown wars lol People really don't give nintendo enough credit. It's not like they don't try.I even remember Reggie pressuring capcom to give him a reason why the wii couldn't get street fighter 4 and resident evil 5 (and he got that reason, the wii was just too weak)

Terrell

Huh, GAF seemed to hate Monolith Soft back in the day. Whoda thunk it.

Yeah, that's why I chuckled when I saw the hate people spewed in the P-100 announcement trailer against Platinum. History is meant to teach us our mistakes.

Holy shit. Quick! What is your predictionon nintendo first party output for the next year or so?

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, I have to have something to tether a prediction to.

For instance, a few of the others I got right:

I saw XBLA and WiiWare as the beginning of a move away from retail for full game titles and gave a 2012-2014 range for when it would be expected that retail titles would be available for digital distribution.

I saw the Dragon Quest X news silence as a sign they were prepping it for Wii U, despite EVERY SINGLE DQ fan on GAF telling me that I was an idiot for thinking it, but I never swayed in my assurance it was happening.

The rest of my predictions are still pending results.

What's you opinion on Platinum Games?

;)

I feel that Kamiya isn't as against being under a corporate banner as everyone says he is and I'll leave it at that, since every time I mention the possibility of it, people are quick to say "Nintendo won't do that, the talent will bleed out", which is entirely dependent on things we're not privy to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom