• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Firmware Update is live everywhere. Everyone calm down.

Overall the OS is faster it seems. Web browser, settings menu, friends list, miiverse, eshop, and Wara wara plaza all load faster. Along with that speed increase it looks like Nintendo changed animations to add to that effect. (miiverse clock during loading, slot machine for eshop)

budpikmin

So I've been playing Pikmin 3 all morning. Is it just me or did this update fix all of the slowdown in the game? The juicing animation seems really smooth now

Zarovitch

So I've been playing Pikmin 3 all morning. Is it just me or did this update fix all of the slowdown in the game? The juicing animation seems really smooth now

We got a pikmin patch too i think, maybe that's what fix the slowdown.

edti:

The home button seen more speedy as well.
And having the new friend button is a nice thing.

How did you come to this conclusion?

There is quite a noticeable one:

On top of this, navigating inside the eshop and miiverse is almost instant most of the time.

I didn't see it listed in Nintendo's release notes, but maybe I missed it. I guess I was hoping for more of a bump. I'm quite used to it so it doesn't bother me that much, but it's still slower than most devices I own by a noticeable margin.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I didn't see it listed in Nintendo's release notes, but maybe I missed it. I guess I was hoping for more of a bump. I'm quite used to it so it doesn't bother me that much, but it's still slower than most devices I own by a noticeable margin.

It's usually under "stability fixes".

TheGrue

(!) You do NOT need to do that! (!)

If you do the instant-Wii-Mode boot while you're starting up the Wii U, it goes into Wii Mode without requiring the TV to be on! If you happen to already have the Wii U booted up, just turn it off and turn it back on and hold B during the splash screen. It's way way easier than turning the TV on.

I really need to make a Wii U FAQ thread with all these things nobody realizes they can do...

Does it automatically choose to output to both TV and gamepad, though? That was my issue...that it seemed like I had to have the TV on just to be able to make that choice.

Strange.
After the update, while sitting on the main menu, the Wii U is getting warmer than before, and the fan spinning faster than before too.

Never heard the fan, and now I can hear it.

Anyone else noticed that?

Anteo

Strange.
After the update, while sitting on the main menu, the Wii U is warmer than before, and the fan spinning faster than before too.

Hmmmm...
Reminds me of that one 3ds update.

Ludist210

The update was nice. It's good to be able to play Wii games on the Gamepad (even if it isn't ideal to not use the GamePad as a CCPro). I played Rune Factory Frontier for the first time in months last night...dang Runeys. I'd be done with that game by now if I didn't have to micro-manage them.

D-e-f-

Banned
Does it automatically choose to output to both TV and gamepad, though? That was my issue...that it seemed like I had to have the TV on just to be able to make that choice.

Yes, that's precisely why I posted that. Maybe you have to do it manually with the TV once so it knows that was your last selection or so. Not sure but it definitely works perfectly with dual output every time if I do the insta-wii-boot with the TV turned off.

cacildo

Strange.
After the update, while sitting on the main menu, the Wii U is getting warmer than before, and the fan spinning faster than before too.

To be fair, yes, i finally heard the fan after the update

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So wait. In order to switch to Wii mode, I need to turn my TV on if I'm connected to HDMI if I want to use my GamePad as the display? That's just silly. Totally ruins the fun of being able to just turn the GamePad on and play without having to touch the TV. (And explains the message I couldn't get past the other night where it was asking me to aim the WiiMote at the TV but wouldn't accept it at all.)

Does the Component cable that came with the original Wii work on the Wii U? Because I don't have any other connector except the HDMI cable that came with the system.

D-e-f-

Banned
So wait. In order to switch to Wii mode, I need to turn my TV on if I'm connected to HDMI if I want to use my GamePad as the display? That's just silly. Totally ruins the fun of being able to just turn the GamePad on and play without having to touch the TV. (And explains the message I couldn't get past the other night where it was asking me to aim the WiiMote at the TV but wouldn't accept it at all.)

Does the Component cable that came with the original Wii work on the Wii U? Because I don't have any other connector except the HDMI cable that came with the system.

NO NO NO NO NO NO!

(!) You do NOT need to do that! (!)

If you do the instant-Wii-Mode boot while you're starting up the Wii U, it goes into Wii Mode without requiring the TV to be on! If you happen to already have the Wii U booted up, just turn it off and turn it back on and hold B during the splash screen. It's way way easier than turning the TV on.

I really need to make a Wii U FAQ thread with all these things nobody realizes they can do...

edit: ignore all of this

vgamer1

No, after the update, if your console is set to use HDMI, it will NOT let you into Wii Mode on the gamepad without turning the TV on.

D-e-f-

Banned
No, after the update, if your console is set to use HDMI, it will NOT let you into Wii Mode on the gamepad without turning the TV on.

Then why can I do EXACTLY THIS!

edit: fucking hell. of course NOW when I try it again it doesn't work. maybe it worked because I had the TV "on" but set to a different input? feel free to laugh at me.

Javier

For the record, I was able to access Wii Mode without using the TV. I used the method to hold B on boot, and I accessed it right away. My Wii U was connected to an SD TV and through an AV cable, so apparently the Wii U needs to be set up like that for Wii Mode to be accessible without using the TV.

D-e-f-

Banned
For the record, I was able to access Wii Mode without using the TV. I used the method to hold B on boot, and I accessed it right away. My Wii U was connected to an SD TV and through an AV cable, so apparently the Wii U needs to be set up like that for Wii Mode to be accessible without using the TV.

Yes, that part we/they already knew. If you set the output to something other than HDMI it will work without the TV.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
NO NO NO NO NO NO!

edit: ignore all of this
Wait, so am I right? Or was I misunderstanding? Because I could not get the Wii Mode to turn on with my TV off and I was too lazy to turn the damn thing on. I really wanted to try out the new features too. If it's an HDMI thing then I'd rather switch it to Component if it enables the ability to not have to turn the TV on and if my Wii cable works with my Wii U. I mean sometimes I want to be up stairs with my GamePad and WiiMote and not have to go back down just to turn the TV on.

D-e-f-

Banned
Wait, so am I right? Or was I misunderstanding? Because I could not get the Wii Mode to turn on with my TV off and I was too lazy to turn the damn thing on. I really wanted to try out the new features too. If it's an HDMI thing then I'd rather switch it to Component if it enables the ability to not have to turn the TV on and if my Wii cable works with my Wii U. I mean sometimes I want to be up stairs with my GamePad and WiiMote and not have to go back down just to turn the TV on.

If you switch to non-HDMI output it works like everyone wants it to. With HDMI, the Wii U knows if your TV is on and gives you the finger.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If you switch to non-HDMI output it works like everyone wants it to. With HDMI, the Wii U knows if your TV is on and gives you the finger.
But I need another output connection right? In order to actually use the TV if I need to, won't I need Component? Does the Wii Component cable work with the Wii U? If it does, I'll just replace HDMI with it.

D-e-f-

Banned
But I need another output connection right? In order to actually use the TV if I need to, won't I need Component? Does the Wii Component cable work with the Wii U? If it does, I'll just replace HDMI with it.

Wii Component should work. Don't wanna go into my cable jungle to try but Nintendo is good with cable backwards compatibility.

MegalonJJ

Banned

Same here. The minor slowdown when landing on planets is gone. But I don't know if it's the system update or the actual game patch. Probably the patch.

sfried

My guess is that the OS is now taking less overhead than from before. That, or I'm actually witnessing some notable speed increases in Wii games too.

L~A

Ran a few before/after stopwatch tests on this October patch. Seems loading times have indeed been improved on official apps/functions:

Settings: 20 -> 9 seconds
Returning to main menu: 30 -> 21

Daily Log: 12 -> 9
Miiverse: 9 -> 7
eShop: 22 -> 16

Youtube app stays the same at 7 seconds to load - but then most people use the superior internet browser for youtube anyway =) It's getting better - Nintendo have been busy bees.

Hmm, I presume this is going from the Settings back to the Menu? Because it only took me roughly 5 seconds to go back to menu after exiting a game (Rayman Legends in that case).

panda21

i'm deeply confused, I set up my wii u to use analogue audio and was hoping to play some of my Wii games with audio (I can't get audio over HDMI because reasons)

But now when I try to open a Wii game, or do the boot with B held down thing, it just says the TV must be on to start the Wii Menu. But it is on, it just doesn't seem to recognise it for some odd reason. I can see the Wii U displaying the message about the TV on the TV, but as soon as I press try again the image disappears, it waits for a bit, then it complains about the TV not being on again...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
i'm deeply confused, I set up my wii u to use analogue audio and was hoping to play some of my Wii games with audio (I can't get audio over HDMI because reasons)

But now when I try to open a Wii game, or do the boot with B held down thing, it just says the TV must be on to start the Wii Menu. But it is on, it just doesn't seem to recognise it for some odd reason. I can see the Wii U displaying the message about the TV on the TV, but as soon as I press try again the image disappears, it waits for a bit, then it complains about the TV not being on again...

And the TV is on HMDI or component?

panda21

And the TV is on HMDI or component?

HDMI in a monitor via DVI-D

I just tried every combination of cables (none, HDMI only) and it still won't work. The crazy thing is I can see it displaying the message about the TV needing to be on, but as soon as I press try again it disappears.

My screen can't display interlaced but I thought HDMI didn't even work with interlaced signals, so you would think the Wii menu would default to 576p or whatever it is

D-e-f-

Banned

Do you not see the connection?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
HDMI in a monitor via DVI-D

I just tried every combination of cables (none, HDMI only) and it still won't work. The crazy thing is I can see it displaying the message about the TV needing to be on, but as soon as I press try again it disappears.

My screen can't display interlaced but I thought HDMI didn't even work with interlaced signals, so you would think the Wii menu would default to 576p or whatever it is

Obviously it doesn't detect the monitor. In settings don't set the TV output to HDMI and it will work with the gamepad.

panda21

oh if i set it to component in the tv settings it totally works and displays the game on the gamepad

i was hoping to get it on the screen but i guess this will do

Xedah66

Really? Since the update, the majority of the time, all I get is the Sorry, this video is not available on this device error, if I try to play videos directly from the youtube page(using the browser).

It works 100% if a gaf post, for example, links to a youtube video. The video is embedded in the post and I can simply click the play button. Seems like it's working fine for everyone else.

Every video I try to watch gives me the video not available on this device. It's so annoying. I changed the user agent to internet explorer touch and they all load fine now but the comments never load.

Zarovitch

If this is the big update everyone was telling me to wait for this is a joke. Seriously just want to sell this thing. Its increasingly becoming dead weight.

I think everyone was telling you about the other one. Just wait, you'll see the next OS update will bring joy and plenty of games you like.

AzaK

If this is the big update everyone was telling me to wait for this is a joke. Seriously just want to sell this thing. Its increasingly becoming dead weight.
We really don't know. All we can assume based on information (none Afaik) is that this is it.

They need another to really jazz up the system, released in time with the phone apps, fixed video chat app, folders etc but you know how sloth like Nintendo are.

Shiggy

We really don't know. All we can assume based on information (none Afaik) is that this is it.

They need another to really jazz up the system, released in time with the phone apps, fixed video chat app, folders etc but you know how sloth like Nintendo are.

Who knows whether Nintendo still cares. Perhaps they are thinking about a way out of the Wii U misery already. Run and cut losses.

sfried

Eh, it's been anything but dead. The OS interface is as quick as ever and so far I have yet to encounter the errors that people here are mentioning. Although I do testify to the whole "Needs TV to be on shennanigans" is a little bit of an odd prerequisit. They should just default to having it both displayed on TV and GamePad, with the option to select either TV only or both feeds from the buttons that would appear on the TV, or select GamePad only feed with a button that would appear on the GamePad (you should be still required to point a Wii Remote at the thing, but at least now it would be possible to activate Wii Mode without need of the TV at all).

Do it, it would save us the trouble of having to hear about it from now on.

Yawn. The ignore button is a few clicks away mate.

I think everyone was telling you about the other one. Just wait, you'll see the next OS update will bring joy and plenty of games you like.

Lol.

lets hope they have something else planned.

Eh, it's been anything but dead. The OS interface is as quick as ever and so far I have yet to encounter the errors that people here are mentioning. Although I do testify to the whole "Needs TV to be on shennanigans" is a little bit of an odd prerequisit. They should just default to having it both displayed on TV and GamePad, with the option to select either TV only or both feeds from the buttons that would appear on the TV, or select GamePad only feed with a button that would appear on the GamePad (you should be still required to point a Wii Remote at the thing, but at least now it would be possible to activate Wii Mode without need of the TV at all).

Your idea of quick and my idea of quick are two different things. A console I bought in 2013 should not take longer than a console I bought in 2009 to get to settings menu, of all things. No ifs or buts. And Ive experienced a lock up once again today, trying to play Darksiders 2.

AzaK

Who knows whether Nintendo still cares. Perhaps they are thinking about a way out of the Wii U misery already. Run and cut losses.

I really don't think they'll do that. They have invested too much already and to get another machine up and running takes LOTS of planning. Another 2-3 years worth I imagine so we've got it for at least that long. However I can see Nintendo just trying to reach some profitability and little more then calling it a day a bit earlier (4 year console).

Seik

Banned
Wow, noticed lots of positives so far. Love it.

I'm getting less connection errors when connecting to Miiverse and the E-Shop. Everything feels quickier, web browser is still wonderful to use.

Seriously, During the latest weeks my Wii U is pretty much the main operating console, W101 took most of my free time during the last two weeks, I'm getting Wind Waker HD tomorrow and I already have a little backlog for the thing.

Only negative in my whole story is that I'm choking on GTAV and I'm only at 30% completion. I really need to get back in soon, I didn't even tried the online. It's raining good games lately. D:

Top Bottom