• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Firmware Update is live everywhere. Everyone calm down.

andthebeatgoeson

It was preloaded for me. Very nice too as that made the whole update experience seem, modern.
I think something quirky happened to mine. I started the download the morning after and came back and the console was locked. Restarted it, played Mon Hun for an hour or two and it downloaded quickly. Either way,I have the street pass set up to check every hour.

Wow, revelation: if you have something to play, don't give a shit about updates.

qko

does the Wii U have streaming(Netflix, Hulu and Crunchyroll) like the other systems.

As mentioned Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon and Youtube have apps (although the Web browser is the best way to watch youtube), a lot of html5 compatible websites like twitch.tv are accessible from the web browser. So once those websites begin to make the move to html 5 and don't require a plug in like silverlight or flash, you can watch it on the WiiU.

11redder

I finally got around to installing homebrew on the vwii after this update, mainly for the convenience of rippng my wii and gamecube discs to hard drive for use with off-tv play.

One interesting thing I discovered, through messing around with the game settings in Devolution, is that the Wii U gamepad screen accepts and correctly displays all types of both PAL and NTSC settings.

This is probably useless for most people, but for someone like me, with a large collection of PAL gamecube games that has relocated to the US, it's awesome - I can finally play all my non-PAL60 games again, like BG&E and Resi 2, 3 and CV, etc.

For some reason PAL Eternal Darkness won't load beyond the opening splash screen with the "deep into that darkness peering" line though, so I'll have to install the NTSC-J version and learn the menu layout once more.

Oh and, as an added bonus, tate mode in Ikaruga has never been more accessible :)

Just in case anyone is concerned about piracy, these are all my own games, devolution has a check to ensure that the user has access to the original game disc for all installed Gamecube isos.

zruben

Banned
sorry to bump this... i tried to search, but didn't find anything.

does wireless usb keyboards works with the wiiU now?, I want to internet on my living room.
=P

Slightly unrelated, but is it a way to leave messages to someone's feed on Miiverse, without sending him a private message?

I vaguely remember, that you could but I can not find it..

Appleman

I finally got around to installing homebrew on the vwii after this update, mainly for the convenience of rippng my wii and gamecube discs to hard drive for use with off-tv play.

One interesting thing I discovered, through messing around with the game settings in Devolution, is that the Wii U gamepad screen accepts and correctly displays all types of both PAL and NTSC settings.

This is probably useless for most people, but for someone like me, with a large collection of PAL gamecube games that has relocated to the US, it's awesome - I can finally play all my non-PAL60 games again, like BG&E and Resi 2, 3 and CV, etc.

For some reason PAL Eternal Darkness won't load beyond the opening splash screen with the "deep into that darkness peering" line though, so I'll have to install the NTSC-J version and learn the menu layout once more.

Oh and, as an added bonus, tate mode in Ikaruga has never been more accessible :)

Just in case anyone is concerned about piracy, these are all my own games, devolution has a check to ensure that the user has access to the original game disc for all installed Gamecube isos.

Been meaning to do this for a while, any chance Devolution could eventually support the GamePad controller? I suppose only after Nintendo implements it for Wii games

Nunchucks

Banned
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01r3su7.jpg

Only abload worked for me.

Bullza2o

So after this update I tried Netflix and Super HD didn't work. Heck, the video was fluctuating around 384-480p, so it's not HD at all! I checked the browser and ran a speed test at bandwidthplace, and I got a 2Mbps. It wasn't this slow in the browser before (it was 10Mbps pre-update, I have a 12Mbps internet). Is there anything I can do to improve the speed?

sfried

So after this update I tried Netflix and Super HD didn't work. Heck, the video was fluctuating around 384-480p, so it's not HD at all! I checked the browser and ran a speed test at bandwidthplace, and I got a 2Mbps. It wasn't this slow in the browser before (it was 10Mbps pre-update, I have a 12Mbps internet). Is there anything I can do to improve the speed?
DMZ your WiiU's MAC address/IP adress port via router settings.

sfried

How does it compare to a regular Wii? Better or worse?

Much better actually. As I seem to recall, some portions the Wii was basically struggling to keep the framerate to 30. In Wii Mode, not so much, but dips are still noticable.

The improvement is much more apparent in NMH2 in the Burger Suplex scene. Could've sworn on a regular Wii the cutscene kinda slowed down, but on Wii Mode it was buttery smooth.

Still wondering though about W101: I have the download copy and there are frame dips in areas where the demo had none(?). Could it just by my harddrive? (Although I do have one of those 1TB Toshiba Canvio's externally powered.)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I currently don't have a TV to connect it on, I am only using the power cable on it.
Its last setting was 1080p when I tried it on another TV, but can't change of any of that since I don't have a TV to connect it too.

Go to the setup menu and change your video output to something that isn't hdmi. You should then be able to boot up holding the B button to get into Wii mode.

Fandangox

Go to the setup menu and change your video output to something that isn't hdmi. You should then be able to boot up holding the B button to get into Wii mode.

I just tried that, it changed automatically to the lowest resolution, but it still asks me to point the wiimote to the tv even if I boot it up by holding the B button.

GulAtiCa

The main massive update has been patched into new systems for a while now. So you are good. You might have a minor patch, but being minor, won't take you too long to download.

PrimeX

There is no new thread about the 4.0.2 WiiU patch so I'll put it all here:
The patch was small and downloaded stealthily while I wasn't home. Installed very quick without problems but after that I saw it:

All my girlfriend saves from Pikmin 3 mission maps have disappeared (I mean the records and medals). She had platinum on all of the basic maps and some bronze and silver on the DLC maps. Now she even has unlocked basic maps, is like she never played the mission mode at all.
Have no idea if the in-game saves for Pikmin 3 or other games are fine but this is kind of annoying.

The patch was small and downloaded stealthily while I wasn't home. Installed very quick without problems but after that I saw it:

All my girlfriend saves from Pikmin 3 mission maps have disappeared (I mean the records and medals). She had platinum on all of the basic maps and some bronze and silver on the DLC maps. Now she even has unlocked basic maps, is like she never played the mission mode at all.
Have no idea if the in-game saves for Pikmin 3 or other games are fine but this is kind of annoying.

Pretty sure there was a thread. But yeh, that sounds horrible.

Weng

There is a thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=718565

Sucks @ Pikmin. Could also be caused by one of the DLC updates for Pikmin. Let me check my saves.

Edit: Everything's fine.

Did you move Pikmin to an external harddrive? I had no problems with my saves after the Updates (Pikmin/OS)

Tumo

Is she signed in with her account? I'm pretty sure saves only show based on the account that's signed in.

L~A

Yeah, looks like you simply signed in with the wrong account. First time I'm hearing about high scores being deleted.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Hmm...anyone else got this? ("Error Code: 160-2719")

20131001_1912012sunb.jpg

It came up while exiting ("close software") Zen Pinball.

Tried looking-up the error over at Nintendo support site but it's not listed.

Update went OK btw and played a couple of titles since then, with no probs.

Hope it's something random and not specifically v4 firmware-related.
Apologies for the necromancy.

I'm on fw 4.0.3, and just got the exact same error under the exact same circumstances, i.e. while exiting from Zen Pinball. I had never received this error before (or any other black-screen error message, for that matter).

Top Bottom