• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Japanese Launch: 308,570 systems sold, Mario leads with 170,563 copies

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
So is anyone graphing weekly miiverse community growth? That could be a pretty good sales trend indicator.

Would seem like a very neogaf thing to do.

I believe Famituse includes game bundles, right? So we have:

at most 78,461 Deluxe NL bundles sold.
at most 110,149 MH3G HD Ver. bundles sold.
at least 119,960 basic model sold

?

Jamix012

Can I take a gamble on the digital numbers and say those discrepancies in the leak and Famitsu numbers account for digital sales.

A) MonHun doesn't have a digital version yet
B) At least with 3DS sales the discrepency between Media Create and Famitsu is that Famitsu also tracks Download CARDS, while Media Create doesn't. I don't know if download cards are available for the WiiU yet (I think they are but not sure.) Neither tracker tracks downloads made from the store without the pre-paid cards though.

I still say those numbers aren't that great

Nintendo has got an uphill battle or at least... trying to stay at level ground

I don't even understand how the first two days of sales in Japan can tell you so much when you compare it to all other console first week sales the numbers are all over the place. Some go on to be huge successes while others limp to an early death.

What makes the Wii U sales such a sign of Doom?

I believe Famituse includes game bundles, right? So we have:

at most 78,461 Deluxe NL bundles sold.
at most 110,149 MH3G HD Ver. bundles sold.
at least 119,960 basic model sold

?

NL is not bundled in Japan.

I do believe Famitsu counts download cards, though, but not games purchased directly from the shop.

For those wondering these are the only dated titles for Japan:
Dec 20th
COD:BLOPS 2 (No download version)
Simple Series for Wii U Vol. 1 (Download version too)
Sports Connection

January 31st
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage

Bring on that end of year Nintendo Direct!! Even 3DS has nothing dated for January, yet.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
so what odds would you give me on the Vita's Launch December Total > WiiU Launch December Total out of interest? 100,000,000-1? Seems fooling and bullshit to me.
Let's be reasonable here - there's a 40% chance of it happening? Seem about fair ? IF the 300k figure is right and that's about as good as it gets for the week then the WiiU is -already- trailing for a start.

Sub zero, only because of more weeks in December. I can't imagine what calculations you do in your mind to come to that 40% percentage.

If we followed your anecdotal Wii U had a launch with zero hype, that no one was excited for it instead of Vita that people lined for hours. In the end they sold the same at first 2 days.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Think this needs a new thread? Famitsu posted numbers for the first 2 days of sales and Wii U's top 3 software.

Wii U - 308,570
NSMBU - 170,563
MH3G HD Ver. - 110,149
Nintendo Land - 78,461

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201212/11025760.html

Wow, better than what Gamekult said.

This is the main difference between Vita's launch and Wii U's launch.

Vita had a very good launch hardware wise ( 325k), but the main titles didn't do so much ( Minna no Golf 6, the best selling one, sold 51k ). This was a rather clear sign of how people wasn't so interested in the games released for it at launch, and a sort of anticipation of the big slowdown the console witnessed in the following weeks.

Wii U sold almost the same amount of hardware, but its top titles destroy Vita's titles: both Mario and MH are well over 100k ( Mario sold as well as Wii Sport at Wii launch; MH sold almost as well as Zelda...and as well as Layton when 3DS launched). And even Nintendo Land, with 80k sold, can't be considered a bad result at all. This means people is actually interested in (part of) initial software offering, and this is the best sign possible for the next future: Wii U won't collapse like Vita, and I'd say it could have a pretty good Holiday in Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Geez, what's with all the comments about software sales being poor? (I'm not singling you out shinra-bansho. I just happened to grab your quote from the plethora available)

Have none of you ever witnessed previous Japanese launches before?

Tie Ratios at launch / 3rd-party Tie Ratios at launch (Famitsu numbers)

WiiU - 1.2 / 0.4 (missing all games below Top 3)

DS - 0.9 / 0.1
PSP - 1.0 / 0.6
PS3 - 1.0 / 0.7
Wii - 1.7 / 0.2
Wii w/o Wii Play - 1.2 / 0.2
3DS - 0.9 / 0.7
Vita - 0.9 / 0.6

The only anomaly here is the Wii, and that's because of Wii Play. People weren't spending $50 or whatever to buy Wii Play. They were buying a Wiimote that happened to come with a $10 game. Remove Wii Play from the numbers, and the Wii and WiiU have identical launch tie ratios.

The WiiU is actually tied with Wii for highest launch tie ratio of all these systems going all the way back to the DS. These aren't poor software sales. This is the typical amount of games (on the high end actually) that Japanese consumers buy with a new system.
Every one of these launches had its problems, 3DS and PSV initial sales didn't have positive acceptance from media and market (following weeks confirmed them), Twilight Princess slow start lead many to believe that Nintendo will have problem with core titles and average sellers (something that happened in the end), PS3 launch was a disaster, DS and PSP had solid but not spectacular launches (still better than 3DS and PSV).

Wii U sw sales like Wii are concentrated around 3 titles and then the chaos. One other factor that isn't visible here is sellthrough. I'm not in front of the database now but DS, PSP, PS3, WII, 3DS, PSV had a sellthrough 40-50% for most of their titles even the low sellers. Except for low sales outside top 3 Wii U faces big unsold amounts of software.

From a point the existence of system sellers means there won't be sharp drop at hardware sales but for titles with higher quality and budget you would expect better results, at least companies and retailers did.

Me when I see some of these replies
tumblr_m4vlqf6iUL1qj3ir1.gif

Honestly though, solid launch, it launched worldwide pretty quickly, seems to me they made all the supply they could and they launched it in markets biggest to smallest with appropriate level of consoles and from here want a consistent flow of sales, I know locally Deluxe systems are becoming harder to find with only about 4 left in the city, basics being a bit easier but will likely deplete once those Deluxe systems go.

Honestly I can't see the Wii U being as easy to produce as the Wii was and that had a number of issues that kept it from keeping up, should be easy couple million units sold by the end of Dec and their goal of 5.5m world wide by the end of the first quarter is doable as long as the software flows.

Nekki

What an unfair comparison to make. You're comparing a console that launched with the largest franchise in gaming to a handheld that didn't and faced the storm that was the 3DS lineup in 2011. Mario, and Monster Hunter did alright but everything else on Wii U, especially the third party stuff? Yikes.

It's not like those third party games are worth buying (in the japanese market) anyways. When real contenders show up that will be more telling. By no means am i trying to say software is not lacklustre though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
No, they don't.

If Famitsu didn't count Monster Hunter bundles for Wii U (do they count hardware bundles? As far as I remember, they did count them for 3DS, didn't they?), this could well be up there with Mario - which I'd consider rather surprising.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If Famitsu didn't count Monster Hunter bundles for Wii U (do they count hardware bundles? As far as I remember, they did count them for 3DS, didn't they?), this could well be up there with Mario - which I'd consider rather surprising.

So much misinformation because someone suddenly decided to play games.

Media Create does, Famitsu doesn't.

And you continue with your ignorance. I'm bad but is it my fault?

Road

Famitsu includes bundled software.

Ignore him.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So much misinformation because someone suddenly decided to play games.
I can't read japanese, so usually I just believe what you or Jonnyram say - with my last information being that they do count bundles. Now I can just talk about the two possible worlds we might live in. In one world, Monster Hunter seems surprisingly high, in the other world, everything seems alright. At the very least Mario sales seem nice in either world :).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Very good debut for Wii U both HW and SW wise.
Let's see if it will hold or drop.
SW wise I can't understand how people could expect to see something else selling significantly with Mario, MH and Land at launch. Probably just to start the usual "nintendothirdipartiesdontsell" meme..?
The number of software is ok compared to the install base, and with three big titles don't surprise me that the vast majority of peolpe bought...exactly those games.

Road

I can't read japanese, so usually I just believe what you or Jonnyram say - with my last information being that they do count bundles. Now I can just talk about the two possible worlds we might live in. In one world, Monster Hunter seems surprisingly high, in the other world, everything seems alright. At the very least Mario sales seem nice in either world :).

I can't read Japanese as well as Jonnyram either, but Famitsu includes bundled software every time and I don't see any note in the article saying bundled software is not included. I don't know what "Famitsu's word" is. Maybe he has a subscription and is looking at a report that is not the website article.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Did you give your account to another? They do, get over it.

I asked Yoshi Mills at Famitsu - apparently - they do not, but Yoshi is double checking for me

They requested sales figure providers to not include some time ago (apparently) . You can believe that if you want, you can check my twitter feed where you can see the first few exchanges with Yoshi.

Not concrete admittedly but curious to know what the deal is. End of the day it's retailers sending in figures under instruction, so god only knows.

cvxfreak

I'll take Famitsu's word over yours. You can try and verify with your figures, if you are so inclined.

???

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201212/05025460.html

2011年11月03日
4800円[税込](スーパーマリオ 3Dランド パック(アイスホワイト/ミスティピンク) 19800円[税込])

Would be odd to mention both SKUs but only count one.

Either way, the ultimate proof that Famitsu does count bundles for software lies with Wii Sports Resort.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Famitsu always includes bundled sw. For Jonnyram being right this would have to be the one time this doesn't happen and he has access to enterbrain data from f-ism.net to verify it.

Top Bottom