• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Japanese Launch: 308,570 systems sold, Mario leads with 170,563 copies

I would say maybe, pretty close. I know some retailers have had 5+ shipments.

~2mil America
~1+mil Europe
~1+mil Japan

This is plausible by the end of the month.

they would be bragging if they even shipped close to that much I doubt we are even close to 1.5 shipped right now but I'll love it if they could hit 4

they would be bragging if they even shipped close to that much I doubt we are even close to 1.5 shipped right now but I'll love it if they could hit 4

I think they've definitely passed 1.5. They've definitely shipped at least 800-900k to NA. They obviously shipped over 300k in Japan and probably more since this was a big sellthrough so add more. Europe probably makes the difference. I don't think there's anyway they hit 4 though.

MH3GHD, NSMBU, and Nintendo Land combined comprised 93% of all software sales

Wow. Although I guess we knew this would be the case since those are the only 3 that actually appealed to the market.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
But DCharlie said there were no sell-outs. Who to believe?

Only seen one or two shops completely sell out since the launch. that still might account for a 90% sell through of course but i had a pick of stores which never ran out of stock from saturday all the way through to Wednesday when i got my unit belatedly.

Again - Tokyo might just have the surpluss stock too - or the 90% figure might include uncollected preorders?

I think they've definitely passed 1.5. They've definitely shipped at least 800-900k to NA. They obviously shipped over 300k in Japan and probably more since this was a big sellthrough so add more. Europe probably makes the difference. I don't think there's anyway they hit 4 though.

Wow. Although I guess we knew this would be the case since those are the only 3 that actually appealed to the market.

If you're a gamer in Japan buying a new console and new games, I would think you would go with the safer bet because consoles are expensive.

Only seen one or two shops completely sell out since the launch. that still might account for a 90% sell through of course but i had a pick of stores which never ran out of stock from saturday all the way through to Wednesday when i got my unit belatedly.

Again - Tokyo might just have the surpluss stock too - or the 90% figure might include uncollected preorders?

A preorder is never considered a sale by any part of the supply chain

You guys need to face it - going to a shop/shops and looking at their physical inventory is not a good barometer of demand or sell through of any product..

Sofmap in Namba (Osaka) got new shipment two days ago and they've been tweeting about how it's going to sell out soon since, but they've still got both premium and basic units as of this morning.

Was surprised that my GEO also had both basic and premium used consoles (5% off, weak).

A preorder is never considered a sale by any part of the supply chain

You guys need to face it - going to a shop/shops and looking at their physical inventory is not a good barometer of demand or sell through of any product..

This is true. It's still nice to know, but a much better indication is how that stock if flowing not whether it is there.

LOCK

Lets see:

~500k in NA first week.
~350k in JP first week.
~350k in EU first week (assuming)

Total Shipped First Week ~ 1.2mil alone

If they plan to shift 5.5mil units by March, most of those have to be shipped out for the holiday period. America will definitely recieve the most units, and I wouldn't be surprised if they ship a 1mil+ up to Christmas. This doesn't mean they will sell that many, but at least the stock is there. Same would apply to Japan. Europe might get the short leash, but I expect a million shipped by the end of the year. Once again these are shipped not sold to consumer. That leaves Jan-March with ~2mil units they still want to ship.

donny2112

As we saw in the DS shortage months and Wii U.S. shortages, distribution chain to Japan is much, much shorter than the distribution chain to the U.S. They would've had to ship a lot to the U.S. early to cover any potential Christmas increase in sales. Japan's big week is slightly later, so they can afford to push out smaller amounts for a week or two to support U.S. potential sales and then quickly push out a larger order in Japan, if it is needed.

Is it new years or golden week that is the hot shopping time in Japan?

I thought December was a good time

Lets see:

~500k in NA first week.
~350k in JP first week.
~350k in EU first week (assuming)

Total Shipped First Week ~ 1.2mil alone

If they plan to shift 5.5mil units by March, most of those have to be shipped out for the holiday period. America will definitely recieve the most units, and I wouldn't be surprised if they ship a 1mil+ up to Christmas. This doesn't mean they will sell that many, but at least the stock is there. Same would apply to Japan. Europe might get the short leash, but I expect a million shipped by the end of the year. Once again these are shipped not sold to consumer. That leaves Jan-March with ~2mil units they still want to ship.

I wish they would come out and give us some numbers already its been 3 weeks now, on Dec. 18th you'll have a full month that is only 4 days away so I'll like to know how NOA did.

I want my GTAV install base :p

Is there a link that breaks down world-wide sales by region?
Also, I'm looking for a link that breaks down world-wide sales for older systems and consoles by year, for comparison purposes.

Thanks.

Top Bottom